Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System

3.1

Interviews for Top Jobs at Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System

Librarian I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

When I arrived, there was another candidate waiting, who informed me that the panel (which turned out to be about five librarians) was running about 30 minutes behind schedule. At the start, the head of the panel explained to me that they were hiring for about 10 Librarian I positions, mostly Children's Librarians, and they were not sure at which branches the positions would be located. Immediately I wondered why I had been asked to interview as my cover letter makes it clear that I am not interested in children's librarianship. She informed me that I would be asked five or six (I cannot remember the exact number) questions that they ask everyone. The first was to describe my educational background and work experience and how that fit with the job description. As I began giving a brief summary of my educational background and work experience, the panel asked me clarifying questions about dates and locations, information available on my resume. It was at this point that I was informed that the panel had not yet received my application materials from their HR department, which meant they were interviewing me without any prior knowledge of me. This caught me off guard, and I had to change my approach to the interview. Luckily, I had copies of my resume and cover letter for the panel. From that point forward, the interview went well, but I remained shocked that they would interview me without knowing my background; it now became clear why they had called me to interview me for mostly Children's Librarian positions, despite it being clear from my application materials that this is not my area. Once their stock questions were fulfilled, we were able to talk more about librarianship in general, which went well. It seemed to me that if they had enough reference or adult services librarians positions opened, they might think highly of me enough to hire me, but I was not sure if this would be the case. As of today, I still not have had a response to this job. I know that they (finally) called my references about one month ago, but I have not received either a rejection or an offer from them yet.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite children's author and favorite adult author? Name a title by each author.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System (Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Process took so long that I forgot I had even applied for the job! I first received an email stating I was "qualified," but nothing more. Months later I got an email saying they were doing interviews and to call and set up an interview. I called and was told to wait another week and they would call me back. They called LATE on a Thursday afternoon with an interview the following Monday.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a difficult customer service situation. What did you do to resolve it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System.

Interview

The interview questions were very broad and general.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hapeville, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System (Hapeville, GA).

Interview

i interviewed and was hired

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System (Atlanta, GA) in June 2010.

Interview

I came in to the Headquarters library about an hour before the interview. I went to the third (fourth?) floor, and sat in line (there were no one else behind me) while the panel finished with the other candidate. When I was called in, I had to answer questions like "why do you want to work in a library?" and "describe your work experience" and "what would you do if a patron returned a book that she felt was too inappropriate for her child, was angry, and wanted answers as to why her child was allowed to check out the book?"

I don't think my answers were very good. I was very shy and stiff, and I think my inexperience with customer service showed. Needless to say, about three months later, I got the letter in the mail that I did not get the job. Those who are more sociable and with more experience should have better luck than I did.

Interview Questions

• Describe the biggest problem you had to resolve as the leader of a group.   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with an angry patron whose child checked out a book she or he did not think was appropriate for her or his child?   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in International Falls, MN

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System (International Falls, MN) in March 2009.

Interview

How do you deal with conflict?

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with conflict?   1 Answer

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System in December 2010.

Interview

I was interviewed by the head librarian and another librarian in the break room. The office space was very small with several desks in one room. As a candidate for the youth services position, I was asked to make up a story on the spot to perform for the two librarians. Overall, I had the sense that it was an unpleasant place to work.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a story that you could tell to a group of children.   Answer Question
    • We have a large number of homeless visiting the library how would you handle complaints from parents?   Answer Question