Atlanta Public Schools

Updated Dec 26, 2014
Updated Dec 26, 2014

2.8

Paraprofessional Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Atlanta Public Schools in December 2014.

The interview process was very relaxed. i was given a listing of questions that would be asked. i would have preferred to have been given them prior to the interview but it wasnt necessary. the questions were straight forward and easy to answer because of my background and experience.

Interview Questions
    • my most difficult question came when i was ask something that when recounting the experience made me somewhat emotional   Answer Question
    No negotiation needed in my case it was open and shut.

School Psychologist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Atlanta Public Schools in June 2014.

Applied online and received an invitation to interview within a few weeks (I don't recall exactly how long). The interview was with a panel of three employees (including the director of the department) and included several specific procedural based questions. Required more thinking than the other five or so interviews I've been on in the last several years. The interview panel was friendly and willingly answered my questions. I received a call with an offer to join the district the following day. It was a very painless process and I'm excited to join the district.

Interview Questions
    • "Explain how you would respond to a parent request for testing" - [difficult only because of the common disconnect between federal law, state regulations, and the procedures within any given district.]   Answer Question
    No negotiation - district salary scale for the position of school psychologist based on years of experience and education. Internship year is not credited.

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Atlanta Public Schools in May 2014.

•Wear professional clothing. Remember, the administrator will be assessing your ability to be a role model for students, so look the part.
    •Research the school. Visit the school's website to get information about the school's philosophy, mission, academic programs, extracurricular activities, and more. The more you know about the school and the school district, the more likely you'll be able to ask targeted questions to get an idea of what it's like to work there.
    •Prepare questions to ask. Come with a list of questions to ask the administrator and others interviewing you.
    •Prepare documents to bring. Bring your teacher portfolio as well as an updated cover letter, resume, references, and samples you'd like to leave with the administrator for evaluation.

During the Interview:
    •Arrive 10–15 minutes early. It’s better to sit in the lobby than come rushing in, or, worse, arrive late.
    •Turn off your cell phone. This is critical.
    •Listen carefully. Answer questions using examples based on your experiences in the classroom. If you don't have classroom experience, use relevant examples from other jobs.
    •Ask questions. That way, you’ll show you’ve done your homework and that you’re interested. Plus you’ll get a feel for whether the school would be a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what differentiated instruction means to you. How have you seen it done wrong...how have you seen it done right.   Answer Question

Math Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Atlanta Public Schools.

I came in through an alternative teacher prep program run by the district. This program no longer exists in the district. It was a rigorous summer training program where we observed and taught summer school for six weeks. We were also in classroom sessions learning content and classroom management skills. We then still had to get certified through GSU.

No negotiation. You enter on step 1 as a first year teacher.

Purchasing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Atlanta Public Schools in December 2011.

Received a call from HR for initial phone interview.
    Contacted by HR to take online test.
    Passed test, face to face interview scheduled in mid-December
    Was told not much would happen until after the holidays
    Contacted company for update in mid-January -
    notified of "impressive background" but would not be moving forward

Senior SIS Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Atlanta Public Schools in October 2011.

It look 4 months to get an interview after applying online. Did one interview with 4 people.

Public salary no negotiations

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Atlanta Public Schools in March 2010.

My initial interview consisted of a phone interview. One week later, I was invited to a Panel Interview. The hiring manager was 20 minutes late. The first part of the interview was a behavioral interview and the second part consisted of questions regarding the history of APS, their track record, and the name of the Superintendent.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to work with an extremely difficult customer. What was the action you took and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Atlanta Public Schools in March 2010.

it took a while for me to interview

Paraprofessional Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Atlanta Public Schools in January 2011.

Online application, call from principal's secretary, interview with assistant principal, offered job that day.

Interview Questions
    • What's the last book you read and how does it relate to this job?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Atlanta Public Schools in June 2010.

applied on line and called then was interviewed....