Atmel Interview Questions

Updated Jul 7, 2014

2.8

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Atmel.

Was contacted by the recruited who was knowledgeable and personable. Two rounds of interviews. There were 3-4 people per round. Most interviewers seemed pretty prepared and asked good questions. There was one person that seemed a bit out of her element, but most were people I would want to work with.

Interview Questions
    • Not so much a question, but more a comment on expectations. Since they have a strong presence in Asia, there was a requirement for call in meetings at odd hours to accommodate for the Asia site.   Answer Question

I didn't get a good feel from the direct hiring manager. I accepted a competing offer from a different company.

Verication Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Atmel in April 2014.

Only behavior trait related questions:
    Tell me about how you worked effectively under pressure.
    How do you handle a challenge? Give an example.
    Have you ever made a mistake? How did you handle it?
    Give an example of a goal you reached and tell me how you achieved it.
    Give an example of how you worked on team.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Atmel in May 2011.

Phone interview followed by onsite with 3 people. Standard interview questions to assess my experience and how my skills would transfer. Held in a room away from the main work area. Oddly the benefit package was the first piece of paper provided at the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Sadly the person with whom I had the most rapport was not the hiring manager.   Answer Question
    I stated the figure I wanted and did not budge. It was granted. However, it takes forever to get the signed offer. Surprising since given the firm's reputation they would give people more time to re-consider the offer.

Global Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at Atmel.

Long and arduous

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I was married and have a family which at the time I told the executive ( yes it was an executive) that its an illegal question to ask due to its discriminating nature and has nothing to do with my capability.   View Answer
    It was not my best negotiation during my career but because I liked the manager or so I thought. I had accepted the offer.

Atmel Response

Dec 2, 2013hr

We are sorry that you had a less than ideal interview experience with us. It looks like you liked the manager and we hope you have enjoyed your experience with Atmel since your start date. As you ... More

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Atmel.

Unknown - was hired 25 years ago at Honeywell - was acquired in company buy-out.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were for production operator - have had no real interview since...   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Process Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Atmel.

Many years ago, but flown into Colorado Springs and interviewed with 6 engineers 1:1. First engineer asked what vacuum was and I got him to explain it to me and then used his answer on the rest. Not too technical. Was taken to lunch by the hiring manager and it was a very nice lunch. A job offer came with-in a couple of hours

Interview Questions
    I tried to negotiate but they were firm and didn't offer more.

Marketing Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Atmel in April 2008.

Interview process went smoothly.

Senior Linux Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Atmel in September 2011.

Went well. Interview team was pretty nice and easy going.

Interview Questions
    Straight forward. I asked for a certain number, they offered more. All in all, good company.

Business Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Atmel in September 2011.

Easy interview questions. Basically explained my job and academic history.

Phone interview was a piece of cake. Not even sure if it was even an interview. Just basic questions like what I know about the positions and logistical questions.

In person interview was different. It consisted of 3 managers and a director. The HR lady told me the company is a mess and she didnt agree with the compensation process. I was also told that they had trouble hiring as some of the positions were open for half a year and was not filled. I was told the director is great and he trying to change the culture. From the interview, some of the managers were resisting change. The company is hiring more people to run their supply chain yet they just closed out 2-3 fabs and outsourced the fab work yet their ar hirng more... I think the new people that they hired will eventually "replace" some of the older ones. Anyways.
    What I didnt like was that they wanted the nitty gritty details of some of my projects. Realize that some of work I've done was confidential and proprietary. After I gave them the details, they wanted more. What was worse was one of the managers started disagreeing with me. Who argues and disagrees with a person they interview? Its MY job history, not theirs to agree on. If they didnt like what I did, thats fine, but to disagree with what I did was odd. The manager also complained that he tried to do some of the work I've done in the past yet failed at it and was surprised what I did, did not require certification of a certain subject matter. Overall the panel interview was a negative experience. Even one of the other panel interviewers had to ask the manager to stop complaining and ranting. Awesome people. The 3rd manager had a different demenor, he was relaxed and basically wanted to see my potential. The director didnt show up for the interview. I wonder if I was just that bad or he didnt have time. Anyways, I still found it unprofessional when interviewers do not show up.

I received an email a week later saying that they made an offer to another candidate. Just for the heck of it, I emailed them back and thanked them but asked them how they came to that conclusion when they didnt finish my interview. no response, figures.

Same thing happened to a friend who applied. He interviewed and spent 2 hours talking to them, and he was told straight up that they cannot sponsor him. thats after wasting 2 hours of his time. He later contacted HR and the HR lady did something stupid and told him what happened. Dumb move by Atmel. After bad interviews with BS interviews. That was our conclusion. While I am not going to explain the details of what we discovered after the process. All I can say was some racially motivated factors.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Atmel in February 2010.

Initial phone screen was typical HR fluff questions. Who doesn't know how to answer those now?

Long process of 1:1 interviews over 4 days.

People were pretty intelligent and asked good probing questions. Not adversarial or aggressive like other companies.

Culture seemed fairly balanced toward working hard and having a life, too.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how a touchscreen controller functions in a mobile display.   Answer Question

Worked for Atmel? Contribute to the Community!