Atomic Energy of Canada Interview Questions

Updated May 6, 2015

Operations Specialist (New Trainee) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pembroke, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada (Pembroke, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

Relatively long and detailed phone interview (about 45 minutes) with behavioural questions. Got invited for in-person interview. Interview was mostly technical, and went over your work background. I was selected to go on the tour the next day, however we then found out that there were three tours total, so about 60 people interviewing for 10 positions. The email was poorly worded, they said if you were successful in your interview, you would go on a site tour (so you've got the job is what was implied). This was frustrating as the correspondence was misleading and the tour was very interesting, so they get your hopes up for a long shot essentially.

Interview Questions

• Go through simple PFD, scenarios (closing valves, maintenance, etc.)   1 Answer

Operation Specialist - New Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pembroke, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada (Pembroke, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied to AECL/CNL job advertisement through their career website in mid January 2015, got a telephone interview in early march (The phone interview was approximately 30 to 45 mins) and a panel interview on March 25th to 27th.

The panel or onsite interview went relatively smooth and was invited to tour the production site the following morning. Unfortunately, havent receive any feedback or response from AECL since the plant tour. Emailed the HR personnel two weeks after the interview to ask for application status but no reply.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was relative straight forward with some personality and competency questions, examples include describe a time when you participated in a team project that didnt go according to plan, how did you solve the problems, what was the outcome and what did you learn from the experience, etc...

The onsite interview was more technical with a panel of three engineers (Another operation specialist, a senior engineer, and the hiring manager). Questions include fluid mechanics (Pressure boundaries, inlet and outlet velocity etc.), how to disassemble the piping system and valve. Had to explain a circuit diagram and a three-component thermodynamic cycle diagram.

Answer Question

New Graduate Operations Interview Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada in April 2014.

Interview

Applied through online job posting. HR contacted me 3 weeks later regarding an introductory phone interview. Phone interview was very informal, asked a few questions about my resume, typical behavioural questions, and why I wanted to live in the area. AECL has a very high turnover rate due to their remote location so emphasize why you want to live in the Ottawa Valley. During phone interview got immediately invited to two-day hiring campaign in Pembroke.

Second interview was approximately 1.5 hours being run by 3 of their engineers. Opened with typical behavioural questions, then moved onto very technical questions such as analyzing electrical diagrams and process flow diagrams. Interviewers were very friendly. Got invited to do a plant tour the following day.

Interview Questions

• What part of the interview do you think you did the worst in and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, new graduate position.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call from their office in Ontario two weeks later to set up a 50 minute phone interview. I lived in Vancouver so we made sure to account for the time difference.

I was interviewed by three engineers who would be on the same team of developers I would be working with if I received the position. They were very casual to the point where they would joke around with each other a bit. I would say 65% of the time they would be telling me about job information, the company itself, location, company history, etc, as well as a bunch of legal stuff pertaining to the security clearance I would have to get if I worked at AECL. The other 35% were basic questions pertaining to my experience related to the job (in this case, Java programing) as well as some traditional interview questions such as "What are your strengths, weaknesses, etc.."

After the interview, I was told that I would receive a decision within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked any technical questions except questions regarding my past experiences with Java programming and the size of projects I worked on before. They asked me if I have heard about the company before and I told them a rough outline of what they did, to which they replied, "It sounds like you just got that off the website!" They re-explained the question, meaning if I've heard of AECL on the news, from a friend, etc... That was the only thing that threw me off.   Answer Question

Physicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chalk River, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada (Chalk River, ON (Canada)).

Interview

this is a formal process consisting of answering questions related to previous job experience and a short presentation, possibly related to the prospective position.

Interview Questions

• cannot recall any. the communication was simple and straightforward. No explanation of gory details was required. Making a decision on hiring is the entire responsibility of the branch manager owing the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase. During the interview I was asked about my previous salary.

Contract Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chalk River, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada (Chalk River, ON (Canada)).

Interview

i had one interview for 45 minutes. I was hired in one month. The interview focused on how do you dealt with project team remembers and conflicted

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

Interview

Very basic, know the company inside out in terms of their operations and really analzye the job posting and know about the infromation they have provided
    will last 30 minutes, realtively basic with little to no technical

Negotiation

No negotiations

New Grad Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada in April 2013.

Interview

Got emailed for a phone interview first, then invited to a 2nd in person interview. The interview was straightforward, but they never reimbursed the cost of travel like they said they would.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions regarding equipment such as pumps, valves, and process flow diagrams   Answer Question

Radiation Surveyor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chalk River, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada (Chalk River, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Initial math test in a large group forum, followed by a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• There were no unexpected questions, but there was a focus on views and attitudes towards using sick days to extend weekends or skip monthly report writing and the use of internal email to send inappropriate jokes.   1 Answer

Radiochemical Technologist Interview

Interview

The hiring process involved 2 interviews. There was about 2 months time between the two, and then a month waiting for the final confirmation.

Interview Questions

• The second interview involves a panel. And they don't ask you for your typical interview questions. For this particular position it was all technical questions. The most unexpected question they asked me was regarding a sport I played and how I could apply some of things I did there to my job. Anything that you put on your resume can be questioned.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negatiate, but it didn't go far. I took it anyways.