Atomic Energy of Canada Interview Questions

Updated May 28, 2014
Updated May 28, 2014

New Graduate Operations Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada in April 2014.

Applied through online job posting. HR contacted me 3 weeks later regarding an introductory phone interview. Phone interview was very informal, asked a few questions about my resume, typical behavioural questions, and why I wanted to live in the area. AECL has a very high turnover rate due to their remote location so emphasize why you want to live in the Ottawa Valley. During phone interview got immediately invited to two-day hiring campaign in Pembroke.

Second interview was approximately 1.5 hours being run by 3 of their engineers. Opened with typical behavioural questions, then moved onto very technical questions such as analyzing electrical diagrams and process flow diagrams. Interviewers were very friendly. Got invited to do a plant tour the following day.

Interview Questions
    • What part of the interview do you think you did the worst in and why?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, new graduate position.

New Grad Operations Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada in April 2013.

Got emailed for a phone interview first, then invited to a 2nd in person interview. The interview was straightforward, but they never reimbursed the cost of travel like they said they would.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions regarding equipment such as pumps, valves, and process flow diagrams   Answer Question

Summer Co-op : Computer and Analysis R&D, Thermohydraulics Branch Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

I applied online and received a phone call from their office in Ontario two weeks later to set up a 50 minute phone interview. I lived in Vancouver so we made sure to account for the time difference.

I was interviewed by three engineers who would be on the same team of developers I would be working with if I received the position. They were very casual to the point where they would joke around with each other a bit. I would say 65% of the time they would be telling me about job information, the company itself, location, company history, etc, as well as a bunch of legal stuff pertaining to the security clearance I would have to get if I worked at AECL. The other 35% were basic questions pertaining to my experience related to the job (in this case, Java programing) as well as some traditional interview questions such as "What are your strengths, weaknesses, etc.."

After the interview, I was told that I would receive a decision within two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any technical questions except questions regarding my past experiences with Java programming and the size of projects I worked on before. They asked me if I have heard about the company before and I told them a rough outline of what they did, to which they replied, "It sounds like you just got that off the website!" They re-explained the question, meaning if I've heard of AECL on the news, from a friend, etc... That was the only thing that threw me off.   Answer Question

Physicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chalk River, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

this is a formal process consisting of answering questions related to previous job experience and a short presentation, possibly related to the prospective position.

Interview Questions
    • cannot recall any. the communication was simple and straightforward. No explanation of gory details was required. Making a decision on hiring is the entire responsibility of the branch manager owing the position.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase. During the interview I was asked about my previous salary.

Engineerin​g Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chalk River, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada in February 2011.

Called for telephone interview first. After that asked for in person interview in chalk river, ON with promise to refund expenses for interview. Did not reply to emails afterwards. No compensation or refund of expenses and of course no job!

Interview Questions
    • All questions were asked based on their facility and equipment being used in AECL.   View Answer

Contract Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chalk River, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

i had one interview for 45 minutes. I was hired in one month. The interview focused on how do you dealt with project team remembers and conflicted

no negotiation

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

Very basic, know the company inside out in terms of their operations and really analzye the job posting and know about the infromation they have provided
    will last 30 minutes, realtively basic with little to no technical

No negotiations

Radiation Surveyor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chalk River, ON (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

Initial math test in a large group forum, followed by a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions, but there was a focus on views and attitudes towards using sick days to extend weekends or skip monthly report writing and the use of internal email to send inappropriate jokes.   View Answer

Radiochemical Technologist Interview

The hiring process involved 2 interviews. There was about 2 months time between the two, and then a month waiting for the final confirmation.

Interview Questions
    • The second interview involves a panel. And they don't ask you for your typical interview questions. For this particular position it was all technical questions. The most unexpected question they asked me was regarding a sport I played and how I could apply some of things I did there to my job. Anything that you put on your resume can be questioned.   Answer Question
    I tried to negatiate, but it didn't go far. I took it anyways.

Summer Student Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada in March 2009.

A woman interviewed me and asked some questions related to my coursework and how it would relate to the job. Some personality questions were asked too. The interview was not too bad in overall.

Interview Questions

Worked for Atomic Energy of Canada? Contribute to the Community!