Atomic Energy of Canada

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

New Graduate Operations Interview Interview

New Graduate Operations Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through online job posting. HR contacted me 3 weeks later regarding an introductory phone interview. Phone interview was very informal, asked a few questions about my resume, typical behavioural questions, and why I wanted to live in the area. AECL has a very high turnover rate due to their remote location so emphasize why you want to live in the Ottawa Valley. During phone interview got immediately invited to two-day hiring campaign in Pembroke.

Second interview was approximately 1.5 hours being run by 3 of their engineers. Opened with typical behavioural questions, then moved onto very technical questions such as analyzing electrical diagrams and process flow diagrams. Interviewers were very friendly. Got invited to do a plant tour the following day.

Interview Question – What part of the interview do you think you did the worst in and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, new graduate position.

New Grad Operations Interview

New Grad Operations

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada in April 2013.

Interview Details – Got emailed for a phone interview first, then invited to a 2nd in person interview. The interview was straightforward, but they never reimbursed the cost of travel like they said they would.

Interview Question – Technical questions regarding equipment such as pumps, valves, and process flow diagrams   Answer Question

Summer Co-op : Computer and Analysis R&D, Thermohydraulics Branch Interview

Summer Co-op : Computer and Analysis R&D, Thermohydraulics Branch

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call from their office in Ontario two weeks later to set up a 50 minute phone interview. I lived in Vancouver so we made sure to account for the time difference.

I was interviewed by three engineers who would be on the same team of developers I would be working with if I received the position. They were very casual to the point where they would joke around with each other a bit. I would say 65% of the time they would be telling me about job information, the company itself, location, company history, etc, as well as a bunch of legal stuff pertaining to the security clearance I would have to get if I worked at AECL. The other 35% were basic questions pertaining to my experience related to the job (in this case, Java programing) as well as some traditional interview questions such as "What are your strengths, weaknesses, etc.."

After the interview, I was told that I would receive a decision within two weeks.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any technical questions except questions regarding my past experiences with Java programming and the size of projects I worked on before. They asked me if I have heard about the company before and I told them a rough outline of what they did, to which they replied, "It sounds like you just got that off the website!" They re-explained the question, meaning if I've heard of AECL on the news, from a friend, etc... That was the only thing that threw me off.   Answer Question

Physicist Interview

Physicist
Chalk River, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

Interview Details – this is a formal process consisting of answering questions related to previous job experience and a short presentation, possibly related to the prospective position.

Interview Question – cannot recall any. the communication was simple and straightforward. No explanation of gory details was required. Making a decision on hiring is the entire responsibility of the branch manager owing the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase. During the interview I was asked about my previous salary.

Very Difficult Interview

Engineerin​g Support Specialist Interview

Engineerin​g Support Specialist
Chalk River, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada in February 2011.

Interview Details – Called for telephone interview first. After that asked for in person interview in chalk river, ON with promise to refund expenses for interview. Did not reply to emails afterwards. No compensation or refund of expenses and of course no job!

Interview Question – All questions were asked based on their facility and equipment being used in AECL.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Contract Administrator Interview

Contract Administrator
Chalk River, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

Interview Details – i had one interview for 45 minutes. I was hired in one month. The interview focused on how do you dealt with project team remembers and conflicted

Interview Question – no unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Engineering Co-op Student

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

Interview Details – Very basic, know the company inside out in terms of their operations and really analzye the job posting and know about the infromation they have provided
will last 30 minutes, realtively basic with little to no technical

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Radiation Surveyor Interview

Radiation Surveyor
Chalk River, ON (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada.

Interview Details – Initial math test in a large group forum, followed by a panel interview.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions, but there was a focus on views and attitudes towards using sick days to extend weekends or skip monthly report writing and the use of internal email to send inappropriate jokes.   View Answer

Radiochemical Technologist Interview

Radiochemical Technologist

Interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada

Interview Details – The hiring process involved 2 interviews. There was about 2 months time between the two, and then a month waiting for the final confirmation.

Interview Question – The second interview involves a panel. And they don't ask you for your typical interview questions. For this particular position it was all technical questions. The most unexpected question they asked me was regarding a sport I played and how I could apply some of things I did there to my job. Anything that you put on your resume can be questioned.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negatiate, but it didn't go far. I took it anyways.

Summer Student Position Interview

Summer Student Position
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Atomic Energy of Canada in March 2009.

Interview Details – A woman interviewed me and asked some questions related to my coursework and how it would relate to the job. Some personality questions were asked too. The interview was not too bad in overall.

Interview Question – Describe how you organize things while working?   Answer Question

Worked for Atomic Energy of Canada? Contribute to the Community!