Audax Health

Audax Health Interview Questions

3.2

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Audax Health.

Consisted of pairs of tech leads/programmers trying their best to beat candidates up with tough technical questions. I was left waiting around in a room with no explanation for quite some time. Very little context or effort to sell the company. Seemed to be an engineering culture of brow-beating and one-upsmanship from what I could tell.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer was trying to get candidate to explain map reduce, in a very convoluted way with an analogy from a previous job of his.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Audax Health in February 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter, and she schedule a first phone interview with coding on a shared doc. After the first interview, I had 4 other on Skype interviews with coding and research questions. I also had a last phone interview. The process took 2 months or more. I was not very happy about the second round because I did not know how long it would take and with how many or whom I was going to interview (recruiter did not do a good job on that part). However, all people I talked to were nice and smart. I enjoyed the interviews for the most part- especially with the data people- aside of one software engineer, that had no idea what he was talking about (I guessed he was a newbie). The did not follow up after 5 or 6 weeks, so I had to ping them- at the end they said the role was not approved. So they were just interviewing without real job.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were easy, and the interviews were smooth. I think the problem is knowing what they want from an interview which should have been communicated by the recruiter.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Audax Health in October 2013.

This is the first time I felt compelled to write an interview review. One of the recruiters contacted me to schedule a 30 minute phone screen with the hiring manager in the San Francisco office. After that I advanced to Skype interviews with the marketing team of four people in the DC office. Three of them are currently doing or did the role that I interviewed for and were unsuccessful in that role. I do not know why I interviewed with them because they failed in the role that I interviewed for and do not have the successful track record to make the right call. They do not know what success for the role looks like. Anyhow, the following was my experience.

The first person in DC that I interviewed with over Skype spent less than 30 minutes with me. She didn't ask me any good questions. She talked about her upcoming wedding. She told me that she loved the young culture at the DC office and that the people in the SF office were old. My takeaway was that she did not like me because I am much older than her. She herself has not been successful in the role that I interviewed for and does not know what success for the role looks like. She had zero technology industry experience previous to Audax Health. She is unqualified to interview others for the role that she failed at.

The second person in DC that I interviewed with over Skype spent about 30 minutes with me. He also did not ask me any good questions. He did most of the talking and came across as negative. He said "there's no money in population management (what the product does)". I thought to myself why are you with the company if you do not believe in it. Negative employees who will kill a company. The worst part was when he asked me an inappropriate question. He said "Tell me about disease management from your personal experience". I do not see how the question is relevant to the success of the job. And has he heard of HIPAA? He himself has not been successful in the role that I interviewed for and does not know what success for the role looks like. He had virtually zero technology industry experience prior to Audax Health. He is unqualified to interview others for the role that he failed at.

The third person in DC that I interviewed with over Skype spent over 30 minutes with me. He was the only one with some professionalism and a couple of good questions and the only one with any solid technology industry experience. We talked about email marketing tactics, which is just one part of the job. He said that the greatest challenge for the person in the position would be working with the DC office. I took that to mean that there is friction between the DC and the SF offices.

The fourth person in DC that I interviewed with was originally hired for the role that I was interviewing for but she was unsuccessful in the role and changed departments. She seemed very uncomfortable interviewing me and I do not blame her. It does not make sense why a person who was unsuccessful in the role be asked to correctly evaluate for the successful candidate. She does not know what success looks like and is unqualified to make such judgments. And she had zero technology industry experience prior to Audax Health. She is unqualified to interview others for the role that she failed at.

In conclusion, never interview with people who failed in the role that you are interviewing for. They do not have the successful track record to identify the right candidate. And it is not in their best interest to find a successful candidate for the role because the successful candidate will make them look bad.

Interview Questions
    • I was disappointed that I did not get any difficult or even good questions like "Tell me about a time you delivered success for a customer" or "Why are you the best candidate for this position" or "How will you be successful in this position" or "What's your 30 day plan?".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Audax Health in September 2013.

I was very curious to see what a 5 star rated company was like. The Georgetown office in DC wasn't 5 star, very messy and had "furniture" you'd find at a flea market that they sell trinkets on. Just tables and chairs, people were all jammed in there. Nothing appeared very clean, frig door didn't even close all the way. Very disorganized. (The building bathroom was 1 star, the stalls weren't designed for much privacy). None of the people looked at all happy to be there. Even the people playing ping pong weren't smiling. That was weird. Based on my conversations with them, they didn't appear to be very agile. The interview process was very basic and standard stuff, didn't take long although I think they are slow in making a decision or at least communicating the results.

The location was cool, though. Right on the water but no real views except from a conference room.

After looking at Linked In profiles, you can see they hire a lot of new grads and people that were laid off from Linden Lab so there's some potential cliques, this was evidenced at the Georgetown office where several talked about how they've hired each other and have worked at several companies together. Made me wonder what the politics would be like, whether they would team up against anyone from the outside, play favorites, etc. There are also a lot of ex-employees on Linked In, too. So quite a bit of turnover, apparently. Most folks kept trying to sell the IPO-to-riches story as part of their sales pitch. But I think that was the only thing that kept them there.

On to the "catered" lunches. I was expecting gourmet fare but what I got was under seasoned plain institutional cafeteria food. Not only that, but they burned the bread! Yuck. Definitely, not 5 star. The whole experience was underwhelming not to mention the actual interviews themselves. The interviews were superficial and lacked depth. The guy in the building lobby, now he was cool and the highlight of the day.

i didn't get an offer but perhaps it's because they could sense I wasn't all gun-ho about joining the family.

Senior Mobile Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Audax Health in July 2013.

I heard about Audax Health through an external recruiter. I had one technical phone screen and one in-person interview, then received an offer.

The technical phone screen wasn't very technical at all. The interviewer was a backend engineer who could only ask very simple iOS questions.

The in-person interview was mostly for cultural fit. One interviewer focused on algorithms and one focused on iOS; the others were all for cultural fit. Then again, I have a strong resume and my experience is pretty much a perfect match for them.

Interview Questions
    • There were some nitty gritty iOS questions, including specifying exact syntax.   Answer Question
    • There were a couple algorithm questions. Seems like they randomly select them from a pool of questions.   Answer Question
    • There were a lot of questions to assess cultural fit.   Answer Question

My previous employer begged me to stay 4 weeks instead of the customary 2 weeks, so I tried to negotiate a later start date with Audax. Audax wasn't very accommodating, so I accepted one of my 2 other offers (who were both extremely accommodating and thrilled to have me!).

I ended up accepting the offer with the highest salary, strongest engineering culture, and an official mentorship program. Plus they plan to IPO next year!

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Audax Health in April 2013.

I submitted my resume online and received an email from a recruiter who set up a meeting immediately with a member of the data team.

We had a thirty minute conversation in which the interviewer asked me about my skills and ability to handle data. The conversation was interesting and he directed me toward some resources that I hadn't heard about for practicing with data sets so overall the experience was positive.

A few days later I received a very impersonal rejection email. I expected a personalized email after having a phone interview, but was sent just a form letter.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were basic data analysis questions, such as SQL queries, and questions regarding my familiarity with random programming languages.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Audax Health in February 2013.

My process was through a recruiter that handled all communication with the company.

The process consisted of a phone interview and an in person interview.

The phone interview was of a technical nature with a shared editor to write code. The programming assignment was were fairly straight forward and in your language of choice. Besides the technical parts, it was also a general conversion about perspectives on programming and software development.

The in-person interview had four parts and lasted around 3 hours. First round was brief with an HR person, second round was with junior developers, third round was with lead developers and fourth round was with senior managers. All rounds, except the first had a big technical part requiring to write code to solve a particular programming problem in code on a piece of paper. The difficulty of the tasks is a very subjective matter. I found them all fairly straightforward, but all required thinking. The most common non-technical question was "why do you want to work here?"

Interview Questions
    • Not really any, but make sure you understand algorithmic complexity.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Audax Health.

Audax is filled with very smart people who are looking for equally smart candidates. The office environment is typical start-up style: jeans, tshirts, foosball, beer in the fridge. They are interested in two things: candidates who are highly intelligent and fit into the company culture.

After an initial 30 minute technical phone screen they scheduled an in-person interview which took about four hours. It was done in three sessions during which I was grilled by two people at a time. It was a mix of Senior Devs, QA and Jr/Regular Devs. The topics ranged from code questions to conceptual/algorithmic discussion.

One thing that stuck out was that instead of pseudo-code they were very insistent that I write proper Java (or the language of my choice). This put on unnecessary pressure, as I was not only focused on answering the question but also whether by syntax was correct. During an interview, I don't see how this matters. Modern day IDEs correct these errors so the programmer never has to worry about them. But maybe this was just a trick to throw me off.

Code questions
    1. Write a function to give the nth fibonacci number.
    2. Write a function to print the nth line in Pascal's Triangle. How could you optimize? (memoization)
    3. Write a function to check a string for palindrome(s)
    4. Design a class (or classes) to simulate an elevator program
    5. Look at this JavaScript. What does it do? (involved jquery, events and ajax)

None-code questions
    1. What is "technical debt"? Followed by a discussion of it.
    2. What is "MVC"? Followed by a discussion of it.
    3. What is Spring? How have you used it in the past.

One question completely threw me off: "What is the hardest problem you've ever solved and how did you solve it?" In retrospect this was an extremely obvious one that I should have been ready for. At the same time, its so obvious who would have guessed it'd actually get asked. The only thing more cliche would have been "What is your biggest weakness?". That being said, I choked.

The Senior folks were interested in a cordial back and forth disussion of concepts. The Junior folks were more interested in black and white, right or wrong answers. One person in particular seemed hell-bent on stumping me (no discussion, he just asked the question and sat in silence while I fumbled through).

Interview Questions
    • "What is the hardest problem you've ever solved and how did you solve it?" --extremely cliche yet completely unexpected.   View Answer

UI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Audax Health in February 2012.

1. Recruiter set me up with a phone screening after grooming my resume

2. Phone screen lasted 5 minutes - asked very basic UI Dev questions and questioned me about my job experience.

3. Onsite interview scheduled a week later. This lasted 45 minutes in total. First two people who came in were fellow UI guys, who asked me detailed questions about information on my resume and job history. They went on to ask me what technologies I used and what my process was for developing a website. I was asked about the box model and how to set up event handlers in JavaScript.

The second group (also two people) came in and asked me how to sort an array of 0s and 1s. They continued to ask me very technological questions which involved 'whiteboarding' on a piece of paper in front of them. I found out later that they were under the impression that I was applying for a backend dev position. I came out of the interview thinking I failed the second half, but ended up getting a positive response.

4. Audax Health had me complete a take-home UI test that was very simple and only one page of HTML/CSS/jQuery. It took me about 3 hours to finish.

Interview Questions
    My recruiter did the negotiation for me, and I was very pleased with the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Audax Health in July 2011.

I got a call from the recruiter and they scheduled a technical interview. The tech interview consisted of general algorithmic questions, and a small coding problem. The questions were simple and the interviewer help me during the process.