Australian Bureau of Statistics

Updated Sep 5, 2014

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Australian Bureau of Statistics

Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Of the public sector jobs I applied for, ABS had the fewest number of stages. Passing the initial written application, the second stage involved a 1 hour written assessment responding to one of a number of questions that are respectively related to the various graduate streams ABS offered. Although preparation was not required (if not impossible) and you are able to use the internet to look for sources, I found that having a solid background and/or understanding of current political and social issues helped tremendously in answering the question of my choice. The second last round was a phone interview with an ABS employee. Following that was a final face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • "How do you see your career progressing at the ABS?" In phone interview   View Answer

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics.

First step is a online application with some quiz style questions relating to information about the ABS that can be found online with careful searching. Also some 500 word behavioural questions in first step.

Second step is timed online written essay around a topic related to your stream (area) of choice.

Third step is a quick phone call with one or two people that have standard behavioural questions and a bit about your motivation and history.

Fourth and final step is an onsite interview in front of a panel (some members may teleconference in). There are about five standard behavioural questions. Then a longer question related to your stream which you have a chance to prepare for 15 minutes before the interview.

There are times when you are pushed in the phone/panel interviews with lots of follow up where I think they are just testing your persistence and ability to handle some pressure.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you worked with people with a generational difference, how did you handle this.   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics in September 2011.

Skill communication
    Project planning
    Task prioprity

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics in June 2011.

Applied online through their website, application included fairly easy questionnaire with answers found on the site. Followed up by a phone interview (few technical questions but mostly a personality assessment, goals & motivation etc) then a group assessment day with group and solo activities. Group assessment day was with applications for all streams.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation available, maybe because they had to assist with moving me interstate.

Analyst Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics in October 2009.

Usual interview questions eg 'tell me about a time when you had to use your judgement'. But took ages to hear back, even when it turned out I was successful.

Interview Questions
    • competency based interviews. (eg give situation / examples of times when performed tasks or achieved outcomes using certain skills)   Answer Question