Auto-Chlor System

Relevance Date Difficulty

Branch Manager Interview

Branch Manager
Benicia, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Auto-Chlor System.

Interview Details – Initially I applied for the position on their website, but I wasn't able to submit it due to the technical difficulties. Surprisingly a few weeks later I got a call to come in for an in-person interview. Before the interview I was asked to answer a few multiple choice "technical assessment" tests. The assessment tests were very technical. It was very unexpected since I was interviewing for a managerial position. My current understanding is that they expect everyone in the company to be equally technically savvy. I do believe it was a very important candidacy consideration factor (which was omitted in the job listing). Overall the interview was very low pressure. It went well, all my questions have been answered. A few days later I received an email, that my persona was no longer considered for this position. It was mutual in this case.

Interview Question – The technical assessment test was unexpected.   View Answer

Branch Manager Interview

Branch Manager
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Auto-Chlor System.

Interview Details – I would have to say if you apply for the branch manager position with this company, walk away. Chances are, the position isn't really open, but they are going to try to recruit you into the outside sales position. I should have guessed why the position's been open for 6 month.

My interview went as bad as I have ever seen. First interview, the regional manager completely forgot about it and never showed up. I waited an hour taking their mechanical aptitude and personality test.

I re-schedule the interview (at 8am, no doubt on Veteran's Day) and I am asked a couple of basic questions and then the killer one, "Would you like to also be considered for the outside sales position?". I knew at that moment that I wasn't going to get the job that I applied for. Especially when he didn't even ask for the DMV sheet he requested me to bring.

At least it only lasted a week. Lesson learned, and all it cost was a few hours, a couple of gallons of gas and a $2 fee at the DMV.

Interview Question – Nothing surprised me.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
San Francisco, CA

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Auto-Chlor System.

Interview Details – I should have listened to the other reviews. What a waste of time. I applied to one the many internet postings that they have littered around everywhere. Set up a phone interview with an HR person. After the phone screen I was set up for an interview at one of their field offices. Parking was a bit difficult and there was no obvious entrance to the building. After that I was scheduled to take a few computer-based tests at one of their offices. Offices are really old warehouses. Tests seemed to go well and after that I had an interview with an area manager. They seemed to really like me and I thought the process might continue, but after about 6 weeks with no follow-up, I'm sure it's safe to assume that I am out of the running. My own follow-ups were pointless, they were always unavailable and never returned my calls/emails. After going fairly deep into the process with their hiring team, they didn't even thank me for my time.

I see now what the other people were talking about. A lot of little things that add up to one big red flag of incompetance or like they are trying to hide something. It's definitely suspicious that the same openings keep getting posted up again and again. There seems to be a pattern of leaving candidates/applicants out to dry- if this is what goes on when they are trying to attract talent, I can't even imagine what type of neglect goes on for those who already work there.

If you want to jump through a bunch of hoops during a process of 4-6 weeks only to hear nothing, then good luck!

Interview Question – The usual, mostly about qalifications and past experience.   Answer Question

Recruiting Interview

Recruiting
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Auto-Chlor System in January 2013.

Interview Details – What a strange company. A total of four conversations with people who represent the company. First was a 30 min phone screen with a top level HR rep, then an onsite interview at the HQ with the same top level HR rep, then another appointment for taking 2 assessments (onsite, computer-based multiple choice) - personality/ethics and PDI, about 2 hrs is what they stated was the average duration. The assessments are very easy and should take a little over an hour. Since I finished a bit early, the same HR rep had another 25 mins or so worth of follow up questions. My fourth interview was at one of the field offices with the same HR rep and a VP. Everything seemed to go well, then all of a sudden... silence. It's been about 60+ days since I last spoke with anyone; include a follow-up on my part with no response. No offer, no automated email response, no 'Thanks, but no'... nothing. I can definitely respect the fact that I might not be what they are looking for, but professional courtesy kind of requires a polite 'No'... especially for a company who is trying to repair a damaged employer brand.

During my interviews I saw many others waiting or finishing up assessments/interviews for the same position I was there for. To this day the position remains open.

Due to the position that I was interviewing for, I learned a lot of things regarding their struggle to recruit qualified people and how a lot of experienced workers were jumping ship - direct from the HR rep's mouth. A lot of it stems from the fact that the company is very old (1950's) and out of touch with what it takes to be competitive in the Bay Area market. Facilities are run down and pay is below market. I was told that there is a lack of passion with low morale because, let's face it, not many people get excited about dishwashers and cleaning supplies. I was specifically told that one of the biggest issues was the HUGE disconnect between corporate HQ and the field offices/reps... to the effect of 'Corporate has no blanking clue what goes on in the field.' High turnover for new employees. A lot of the negatives shared in other reviews I witnessed or heard directly from HR's mouth throughout my interviews.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty standard. What was a little unexpected was speaking with the same person on 4 different occasions - so the questions got pretty redundant.   View Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Outside Sales Representative
Benicia, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Auto-Chlor System in January 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview was pretty basic, who are you, why auto chlor. Then asked me to come for an inperson interview, again basic questions as well as a mechanical aptitude test and a personality test. Was then contacted the next day to come for a ride along with two managers. After that was asked to come for a ride along with a service tech. Had a conversation with the VP and was left with the impression I would receive an offer. Until the next day they called to say they decided to go with someone with more experience. The process was a little long and I passed up other interviews to give them my time. I felt they could have used mine and there own time better if they were just looking for experience, as they could see that from my resume.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, the interview was fairly easy.   Answer Question

Management Position Interview

Management Position
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Auto-Chlor System in April 2012.

Interview Details – Initially had an appointment for a phone interview. On the day/time of the interview I received no call as promised. No attempt was made to contact me. I e-mailed to follow up and the response from the HR person was that she got busy and couldn't make it. The phone interview was rescheduled. She asked basic skills and values questions. That resulted in an in-person interview. The in-person interview was held but she only asked one question and spend most of the time telling me about the company and what the next steps were.

Overall, I felt somewhat unwelcome and didn't know why she interviewed me at all. First, by standing me up and not following up or apologizing. Then by not really conducting an interview at the in-person interview. She did have me fill out a Personality Quiz. It consisted of about 15 questions. Seemed to focus a lot on whether or not one has lot of "nervous energy". Maybe she saw my answers and decided I wasn't right for the company and that's why. Also - when arriving at the Oakland office, it's not very inviting. There's no lobby and no obvious way to gain entrance. I found a door with a speaker/pager were they buzz you in and then you walk up some stairs. Just seems to me since it's an unconventional way to enter, they'd want to make you aware of what to do once you're in the parking lot. Not a big deal, but again, just not very inviting.

Interview Question – I don't remember other than the phone questions were very general as was the in-person question.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Auto-Chlor System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Auto-Chlor System interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Auto-Chlor System employees and interview candidates.