Auto-Owners Insurance

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.5

Processor Interview

The hiring process was fairly easy. I had an interview with two HR reps and they were inviting and very pleasant to me. I also was hired the day after my interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance in November 2014.

Interview process was completed in an hour and a half. Had three separate interviews. The first interview was with the commercial lines underwriting supervisor and consisted of basic interview questions. They seemed to want to get to know your personality because alot of the questions were based off of how you managed dealing with people in your last job and in college. The second interview was with the personal lines underwriting supervisors and consisted of the exact same questions as the first interview. The last interview was with the underwriting manager for the building and was just a casual get to know you session. It took two weeks for them to call me back due to them not being able to get ahold of my references at first.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle living out of the dorms in College?   Answer Question

Underwriter Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance.

Quick, not a lot of time with the people you interview with. 4 interviews with various departments. Lasted a total of 20 minutes. Interviewers are very friendly. No hard questions, no questions that take you out of comfort zone. Very laid back interview process. Waiting for a response from the company takes a long time.

They won't negotiate. The offer is the offer. You can take it or leave it.

Claim Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance.

Took about a month once a position opened up. Had 3 interviews over a two week time frame.

None.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance in November 2013.

The interview process took about 3-hours from when I arrived to when I exited to building. I was taken to the actuarial department by someone from HR. They explained that I would have six 30-minute interviews with different managers in the actuarial department. The interviews were very much on a get-to-know-you basis. Most wanted to find an area of common interest and have you talk about that. Be sure to explain how you are good for the job through your conversation, though, and try not to get too off topic.

Interview Questions
    • If you were in our shoes, why wouldn't you hire you?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation on wages. The wages are fair and are not the most important thing in an internship anyway. They were very flexible in starting date and said to just give a two-weeks notice when I plan to finish for the summer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance.

Submitted application online. Sucks because they don't post job openings so you have no clue what they have available so you're taking a risk at wasting your time. Received a call in two weeks and invited for an interview. Interviewed with the RVP and 2 managers for an hour. Received a call for the job in two weeks. The salary offered was lower than I what asked for and much lower than the national average for similar experience and job title. Asked if they were willing to negotiate and they said no. Really needed the job so I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Name our 10 core values and explain why they may be important in any business atmosphere.   View Answer
    No negotitation. Here at A-O, it's either their way (The A-O way) or the highway. No flex on salary, work time (8-4:30 only) when to take lunch (1st lunch 11:30) or what to wear (ties and dress shirts and dress pants, even on Fridays).

Risk Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Bear Lake, Ramsey, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Bear Lake, Ramsey, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance in April 2013.

The interview process was laid back. They showed me around the office building and then got to the interview. The interview itself was a "get to know you" type interview and consisted of all of the standard "are you a leader or a follower?" and "tell me about this part of your resume.." type questions.

Overall a pleasant interview.

Associate Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance.

The initial hiring process started through online applications through the company website. Later on, a very helpful recruiter from the HR department called me to set up a day and time for an interview at the company site. The entire interview process consisted of four separate interviews with various associates (including managers, directors, and the VP of the IT department). The interviews were great. The questions were not difficult or one-sided. I was able to learn more about the organization and they were able to learn more about me as an applicant. The best thing about Auto-Owners is the people who work there. They are very interesting and fun to work with.

Interview Questions
    • There were not many difficult questions. I spent a good deal of time giving examples of projects that I had worked on in the past, and explaining any difficulties encountered during those projects.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance.

Submitted application. Received a call within 2 weeks. Came in and had standard interview with 3 different people. Received a call within 1 week and received and offer.

No negotiations.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance in March 2013.

Show up early enough that you have time to read the company pamphlets in the waiting room. This company is proud of its history and culture, knowing their values is a big bonus. Be prepared for a junior and senior manager to sit in on your interview. This is an optimistic and positive company, indiviuals with a negative mindset will not fit in well.

Interview Questions
    • As an intern your questions will vary depending on position. Know your area of expertise well and try to have relevant experience you can share. If you're in the computer science area leave a cd or thumbdrive that includes relevant programs you have written.   Answer Question