Auto-Owners Insurance

Relevance Date Difficulty

Actuarial Intern Interview

Actuarial Intern
Lansing, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance in November 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process took about 3-hours from when I arrived to when I exited to building. I was taken to the actuarial department by someone from HR. They explained that I would have six 30-minute interviews with different managers in the actuarial department. The interviews were very much on a get-to-know-you basis. Most wanted to find an area of common interest and have you talk about that. Be sure to explain how you are good for the job through your conversation, though, and try not to get too off topic.

Interview Question – If you were in our shoes, why wouldn't you hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation on wages. The wages are fair and are not the most important thing in an internship anyway. They were very flexible in starting date and said to just give a two-weeks notice when I plan to finish for the summer.

Very Easy Interview

Underwriter

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance.

Interview Details – Quick, not a lot of time with the people you interview with. 4 interviews with various departments. Lasted a total of 20 minutes. Interviewers are very friendly. No hard questions, no questions that take you out of comfort zone. Very laid back interview process. Waiting for a response from the company takes a long time.

Negotiation Details – They won't negotiate. The offer is the offer. You can take it or leave it.

Intern Interview

Intern
Lansing, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance in March 2013.

Interview Details – Show up early enough that you have time to read the company pamphlets in the waiting room. This company is proud of its history and culture, knowing their values is a big bonus. Be prepared for a junior and senior manager to sit in on your interview. This is an optimistic and positive company, indiviuals with a negative mindset will not fit in well.

Interview Question – As an intern your questions will vary depending on position. Know your area of expertise well and try to have relevant experience you can share. If you're in the computer science area leave a cd or thumbdrive that includes relevant programs you have written.   Answer Question

Claim Representative Interview

Claim Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance.

Interview Details – Took about a month once a position opened up. Had 3 interviews over a two week time frame.

Interview Question – Why did you make a "c" in this class?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

Risk Intern Interview

Risk Intern
White Bear Lake, Ramsey, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance in April 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was laid back. They showed me around the office building and then got to the interview. The interview itself was a "get to know you" type interview and consisted of all of the standard "are you a leader or a follower?" and "tell me about this part of your resume.." type questions.

Overall a pleasant interview.

Interview Question – No crazy questions.   Answer Question

Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance.

Interview Details – Submitted application online. Sucks because they don't post job openings so you have no clue what they have available so you're taking a risk at wasting your time. Received a call in two weeks and invited for an interview. Interviewed with the RVP and 2 managers for an hour. Received a call for the job in two weeks. The salary offered was lower than I what asked for and much lower than the national average for similar experience and job title. Asked if they were willing to negotiate and they said no. Really needed the job so I accepted.

Interview Question – Name our 10 core values and explain why they may be important in any business atmosphere.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotitation. Here at A-O, it's either their way (The A-O way) or the highway. No flex on salary, work time (8-4:30 only) when to take lunch (1st lunch 11:30) or what to wear (ties and dress shirts and dress pants, even on Fridays).

Associate Software Developer Interview

Associate Software Developer

Interview Details – The initial hiring process started through online applications through the company website. Later on, a very helpful recruiter from the HR department called me to set up a day and time for an interview at the company site. The entire interview process consisted of four separate interviews with various associates (including managers, directors, and the VP of the IT department). The interviews were great. The questions were not difficult or one-sided. I was able to learn more about the organization and they were able to learn more about me as an applicant. The best thing about Auto-Owners is the people who work there. They are very interesting and fun to work with.

Interview Question – There were not many difficult questions. I spent a good deal of time giving examples of projects that I had worked on in the past, and explaining any difficulties encountered during those projects.   Answer Question

Actuarial Technician Interview

Actuarial Technician
Lansing, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance in February 2009.

Interview Details – One of the biggest difference-makers for being selected for an interview is that you already know somebody working here. There is a place to list them right on the application itself...and they will follow-up with the associate listed. Interview process itself was long and tedious. I interviewed with 6 different managers, back-to-back. It took several hours to complete. Most questions asked were pretty standard. They are looking for somebody who has done their homework on the Company, and can ask well thought out questions about the Company.

Interview Question – Most questions were pretty standard...What makes you interested in a career here? Tell me about a time when you excelled, or overcame an obstacle? Prior work experience, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all. It was just "Here is your offer...take it or leave it."

Lansing, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance.

Interview Details – Submitted application. Received a call within 2 weeks. Came in and had standard interview with 3 different people. Received a call within 1 week and received and offer.

Interview Question – No off the walls questions...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Quality Analyst Interview

Quality Analyst
Lansing, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty fast, the interview was a bit lengthy. I met with several different people from managers to directors as well as HR people. They were all very friendly and seemed very personable. The first impressions I got from them were very positive and everything seemed awesome but then after working there for a while I learned from other employees that all the flowers and rainbows that they painted in the interview was just to cover up the un satisfied workers.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating, they were firm in their offer and did not budge on it.

Worked for Auto-Owners Insurance? Contribute to the Community!