Auto Trader UK Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

3.6

Python Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online for a position in the Manchester office working as a python developer. Autotrader contacted me very quickly to arrange an interview, much faster than any other job I have applied for. The interview involved a technical test in the form of a pair programming exercise, followed by a personal interview to discuss my past education and employment and my suitability for the role. Additionally I was shown around their incredible offices!

Throughout the interview I was made to feel comfortable and as though I was respected. The questions were searching without being too invasive and really got to the heart of why I wanted to work there and what skills I could bring to the table.

While I did not get the role (I was looking for something more mathematically involved, and the role did not have as much maths as I would have liked. This was picked up on by my interviewers.) I left feeling positive about autotrader and how they deal with prospective employees. Unusually, I was offered feedback immediately on being rejected, which is a refreshing change from chasing companies for this info.

Overall, applying to work at autotrader was a refreshing change to the usual process. I would recommend them to anyone.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were the leader of a team and how you managed this responsibility?   Answer Question

Auto Trader UK Response

Jun 22, 2015Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your interview with us. We are glad you had a positive experience and we wish you all the best with your job search.

Customer Operations Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, went through the online process (including online tests and job-/sector-specific questions). And then one Friday, I'm called up by a very lovely member of the AutoTrader team at Manchester and invited to an assessment centre the following week.
    My initial fear and dread at the thought of an assessment centre was instantly dissolved upon meeting the staff at the Manchester office. Everyone took part in the first activity (ice-breaker), so we were able to get to know fellow candidates and some of the AutoTrader team. Then I gave a pre-prepared presentation and had an interview with two lovely employees in a very relaxed setting. Then I did the role-play with another member of staff (also lovely, and not as scary as it sounds!) and was given a tour around their amazing Manchester office. Finally a beautiful spread for lunch and a group task with fellow candidates!
    Overall, a great day, fantastic people, insanely good office, and delicious food! (There were also sweeties on the table throughout if you needed a bit of sugar!) It was a fabulous experience and I'm very grateful for everyone there for making it so relaxed, and fun!

Good luck if you've applied and I can guarantee that you'll have a great time at the assessment centre! :)

Interview Questions

• Standard competency-based questions, the team were really keen for you to demonstrate your strengths and achievements!   1 Answer

Auto Trader UK Response

Apr 2, 2015Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent assessment. We have taken a lot of care in preparing the day so everyone involved is pleased you enjoyed the day so much.

Graduate Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

The whole process started with submitting a CV along with answers to two questions about values etc, like a very small essay. There might have been a short non-technical phone interview at this stage, but to be honest it was so long ago I can't remember. After this stage, I did some online aptitude tests (standard trio of numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning and non-verbal reasoning). Then later I was invited to attend an assessment day at their Manchester office, and given a small homework task to prepare for the day. This was a full day with about 8-9 other candidates, involving various tasks and activities. Starting with a small fun task for everyone to get to know each other, there were then things like a pair programming activity with a member of their staff, a 45min-ish interview by two of the Auto Trader staff, a tour of the offices, a presentation of the homework tasks we'd done and a larger team activity involving decision making and negotiation etc. In all of the tasks someone was scoring you, and then after the day scores were compared and numbers crunched. If you passed this stage, you were invited to the final stage: a shorter interview with another member of staff (a non-technical interview, more of a chat about where you fit in with the company values etc). I was invited to this final interview however had already accepted a job somewhere else so declined.
     The assessment day was tiring, but very good. Everyone was incredibly friendly and all the staff seemed very happy to work there. And there was a steady stream of tasty food!

Interview Questions

• Of all the things on your CV, what are you proudest of and why?   Answer Question

Contractor Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Auto Trader UK.

Interview

Straight forward process which lasted about an hour, initially they explained the role in more detail and gave some context to the team structure, then I was asked to talk through my CV picking out relevant experience, then moved on to competency based questions. Speedy feedback via recruitment agent and the people seemed friendly.

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

1st Interview was competency based with 2 lines managers lasting around 1 hour. 2nd interview was to present a 9 month plan to the line managers plus another employee for around 20 minutes plus a questions and answers session. And 3rd interview was a telephone interview with an OLT member

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester City Centre, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

The Resourcing team were brilliant throughout the process. I am glad I did apply direct and not through an agency. The line manager was very friendly, she really spent a lot of time to find out about me and also tell me about herself and the business so I can make an informed choice.

Interview Questions

• Questions around their values and competency questions.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

Apply Online, Invited to an assessment day if successful.
    Assessment Day:
    - Short group task: build a structure out of marshmallows & spaghetti (aims to test team working ability + see who takes the lead)
    - Interview with two assessors: Laid back chat with two employees about your background and why you want the job, nothing too challenging
    - Maths & SQL test: Just a quick test to check you can do basic maths & logic (the results are used less for assessment and more for training)
    - Java test: Design a simple program to parse and do a little bit of logic around a text file. This is more about how you think than how amazing your java ability is.
    - Group presentation

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you dealt and solved a problem?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Little negotiation necessary, initial contract conditions were generous.

Anomous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester City Centre, England (UK)) in August 2011.

Interview

1st and 2nd stage interview, held at the offices, with both peers and manager. Hiring process was simple with contract received quickly. Communications we're prompt and clear, but the best thing about the whole experience was meeting other people at reception whilst waiting for my interviews begin. Everyone seemed so happy and very friendly, everyone let on and smiled at each other. Having interviewed elsewhere and seeing the complete opposite, this made me feel confident the company was a place of work where people enjoyed being.

Interview Questions

• It was a very two way process, which was great, but could of prepared more questions to ask   Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy, I was offered a good/fair salary and benefits package from the start

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Auto Trader UK (London, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

Had an initial telephone interview with the recruitment consultant on a Friday, and on Monday I was invited to the assessment day which was on the next Friday. Very pleased with the communication!

The assessment day was held at Millennium & Copthorne Hotel (at Chelsea Football Club), which was an indeed nice place. They had booked a few large meeting rooms and it was a very relaxed environment. The interviewers and Trader Media staff were very friendly.

Before the interview they gave us (6 of us) a scenario on which we had to discuss our opinions and come to agreement. It was about 6 people in danger of death, and we had to decide in which order to rescue them based on their profiles, considering that we may not be able to rescue them all. It was a great experience and it certainly relaxed us into the environment.

We then separated, each of us going for either the interview, a pair programming test, or filling an application form. The first stage for me was the 2:1 interview. I was asked questions on Java and OO basics, and test-driven development. (Remember, if you're applying to Trader Media as a developer, be prepared to answer questions about test-driven development and JUnit).

After my interview we went for lunch, where we again had the chance to chat with other candidates and also the TMG staff.

I then moved on to the pair programming exercise where I and a member of TMG development team worked on solving a problem. This was again test-driven and we had to extract football match scores from a data file, and output the name of the team with the smallest goal difference.

The last stage for me was the application form which was a fairly easy one. Just the standard stuff like education and employment history, why you're suitable for the job, and if you like to add anything that you think will help in your application.

We then came back to where we met first, to wrap things up and say goodbye, hoping to see them again.... Shame I didn't!.... I liked them, would definitely accept an offer!

Interview Questions

• Tell me an example of when you did pair programming? If you haven't, talk about working with others and helping others, especially in programming   1 Answer
    • Tell me about time where you had to work under pressure, it can be from your work experience or at university.   1 Answer

Senior User Experience Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Auto Trader UK (London, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

3 hrs long interview, with pair programming