AutoTrader

Updated Jul 29, 2014

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at AutoTrader in April 2011.

I had applied online for a training position and never received any news. I later had a former employee of AT sumbit my resume and received a call from HR the next day saying that they were very interested in interviewing me. The HR person told me the hiring salary range for my experience and asked me if I was interested before setting up the interview. A day before the interview I received a phone call from HR again saying that the salary range she told me ended up being much higher than the manager would make an offer for and they wanted to know if I was still willing to proceed with the interview. I interviewed the next day with 2 different managers...they used a script and took turns reading questions to me. Since this was a training position, I asked them if the other trainers were using Captivate to create their e-learnings and/or develop their training content. They told me that they and their staff were just learning that software and that was a goal for their department. I brought along my laptop and showed them several samples of presentations that I had developed, as well as, giving them a copy of a CD with other examples of my work. The manager told me that she would follow up with me in a week. I sent a follow up email to thank both interviewing managers for their time and I never heard back. I had to contact HR myself to find out that they decided to hire internally.

Interview Questions
    • What was one experience that you had where it turned out to be a positive learning experience for yourself?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at AutoTrader in October 2011.

Called by an internal recruiter and went over the position and company. After discussion I was set for an interview at their Atlanta office, which is located off 400 in one of the busiest areas of the city. During the interview, which was scheduled for an hour and a half, lasting more than two hours, I was interviewed by three levels of management. Most questions were situational based while others were personality related. At the end, they requested I take a paper test related to the position which is either a know it or not type test. It asked to find trends on a data sheet, complete the series of numbers and shapes etc.

The company speaks of the culture as competitive and allows for a work life balance. Based on those I met, I could only imagine them all trying to be the smartest in the room.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunwoody, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunwoody, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader in July 2012.

I was referred by a staffing agency. They set up a phone interview with the manager and another team member. The questions were very basic about what type of work was I currently doing. The interview was very relaxed and straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were difficult for me since I knew how to communicate what I do   Answer Question
    Recruiting agency had already establishe a pay rate

Advertising Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AutoTrader in March 2010.

I met with multiple executives on the same day within a 4 hr period. Be prepared to sell yourself on your qualifications. Also, make sure you get a good nights rest prior to the day of interviews. Bouncing from one interview to the next can be tiring, especially when you end up repeating yourself more than once. You might not receive an offer immediately following the interview either. They may interview you and wait until an opening presents itself within the company. I interviewed and did not find out that there were not any positions open until later. Needless to say, I felt as though I wasted my time and resources by interviewing for a job that was non-existent.

Advertising Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at AutoTrader in July 2010.

I had applied online for this position but a friend who also works at AT pushed my resume to the recruiter. If it hadn't been for my friend, I honestly don't think I would have been interviewed.

The Recruiter who interviewed me seemed very antagonistic during my hour phone interview. His thick accent was also a little hard to follow. I sensed that this process might be an annoyance to him but didn't mention this. He opened the interview with an overview of the benefits, which sounded quite good and above average for the industry. He also let me know they "Didn't Interview Just Anyone and that many people want this job". All right, I get it, I should be honored that you are speaking with me. Throughout the interview when I was explaining my answers, I could hear that he wasn't focused and ruffling papers or moving around.

As I started asking questions towards the end of the interview, I found out that I was one of ten candidates, four of which were internal. He stated that they firmly believed in hiring from within and the internal candidates were excellent. When I asked for his assessment of our interview overall, he said that he liked the answers I gave him and he thought I communicated well but he hadn’t completed all ten interviews.

I received a phone call 3 days later saying they were moving forward with other candidates.

User Interface Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at AutoTrader in December 2008.

Met with several engineers. Discussed background and skill sets. Answered some problem solving skills.

Interview Questions
    • Several questions regarding browsers, CSS and JavaScript.   Answer Question
    Yes, negotiations went fairly well.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader in March 2009.

Recruiter found my resume/profile online via LinkedIn and initially reached out via email.

Once we went over my background and basic skills, we set up three 1:1 interviews with different members of the other departments with whom I would be working. Smart questions were asked by each interviewer, but nothing "sneaky" or trying to put me on the defensive in any way.

Second round of interviews was not needed.

Salary RANGE expectations were discussed with the recruiter on the initial phone screen to ensure neither one of us was wasting the other's time.

Offer was actually made by the hiring manager followed up by a written offer from recruiting. Drug and Background checks performed after offer was completed.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you hanled a tough situation is a previous job.   View Answer
    Know your own marketability (using this glassdoor.com site is great) is key.

Informatica Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AutoTrader in February 2008.

Hiring process was pretty straight forward.. Phone Interview with hiring manager followed by a half day face to fact with manager, director and then team

Interview Questions
    • The interview was almost 5 years ago so i don't remember much.   Answer Question
    I had an opportunity to negotiate.. but I was getting paid a lot more than the previous employer so i took the offer without thinking about it. If i could go back i would negotiate.

Director, Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader.

Typical STAR format. Phone screen with HR and most often second interview will be with two managers (minimum). Often a third interview will follow with higher title within reporting structure.

Interview Questions
    Easy but company will not budge on additional vacation days.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader.

The interview process is run by HR. Each department has an HR representative. They handle the screening, set up, and execution of the process. HR does a very thorough, professional job. You must enter all your resume data into their online system. It's a pain after you've gone to all the trouble of creating a .DOC, but it is what it is. Not unusual for these days. You go through one or two phone interviews, then two on-site sessions where you may see four or five individuals by the end of the day. Drug screening, criminal and financial histories are checked.

Interview Questions
    • Depends on what you're going for. I didn't encounter anything weird.   View Answer
    Not much negotiation. The offer was much better than I was doing at the time. I didn't push much.