AutoTrader

Getting the Interview

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Trainer Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at AutoTrader in April 2011.

Interview Details – I had applied online for a training position and never received any news. I later had a former employee of AT sumbit my resume and received a call from HR the next day saying that they were very interested in interviewing me. The HR person told me the hiring salary range for my experience and asked me if I was interested before setting up the interview. A day before the interview I received a phone call from HR again saying that the salary range she told me ended up being much higher than the manager would make an offer for and they wanted to know if I was still willing to proceed with the interview. I interviewed the next day with 2 different managers...they used a script and took turns reading questions to me. Since this was a training position, I asked them if the other trainers were using Captivate to create their e-learnings and/or develop their training content. They told me that they and their staff were just learning that software and that was a goal for their department. I brought along my laptop and showed them several samples of presentations that I had developed, as well as, giving them a copy of a CD with other examples of my work. The manager told me that she would follow up with me in a week. I sent a follow up email to thank both interviewing managers for their time and I never heard back. I had to contact HR myself to find out that they decided to hire internally.

Interview Question – What was one experience that you had where it turned out to be a positive learning experience for yourself?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at AutoTrader in October 2011.

Interview Details – Called by an internal recruiter and went over the position and company. After discussion I was set for an interview at their Atlanta office, which is located off 400 in one of the busiest areas of the city. During the interview, which was scheduled for an hour and a half, lasting more than two hours, I was interviewed by three levels of management. Most questions were situational based while others were personality related. At the end, they requested I take a paper test related to the position which is either a know it or not type test. It asked to find trends on a data sheet, complete the series of numbers and shapes etc.

The company speaks of the culture as competitive and allows for a work life balance. Based on those I met, I could only imagine them all trying to be the smartest in the room.

Interview Questions

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Dunwoody, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AutoTrader in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred by a staffing agency. They set up a phone interview with the manager and another team member. The questions were very basic about what type of work was I currently doing. The interview was very relaxed and straight forward.

Interview Question – No questions were difficult for me since I knew how to communicate what I do   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Recruiting agency had already establishe a pay rate

Advertising Specialist Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at AutoTrader in March 2010.

Interview Details – I met with multiple executives on the same day within a 4 hr period. Be prepared to sell yourself on your qualifications. Also, make sure you get a good nights rest prior to the day of interviews. Bouncing from one interview to the next can be tiring, especially when you end up repeating yourself more than once. You might not receive an offer immediately following the interview either. They may interview you and wait until an opening presents itself within the company. I interviewed and did not find out that there were not any positions open until later. Needless to say, I felt as though I wasted my time and resources by interviewing for a job that was non-existent.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   View Answer

Advertising Consultant Interview

Advertising Consultant
Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AutoTrader in July 2010.

Interview Details – I had applied online for this position but a friend who also works at AT pushed my resume to the recruiter. If it hadn't been for my friend, I honestly don't think I would have been interviewed.

The Recruiter who interviewed me seemed very antagonistic during my hour phone interview. His thick accent was also a little hard to follow. I sensed that this process might be an annoyance to him but didn't mention this. He opened the interview with an overview of the benefits, which sounded quite good and above average for the industry. He also let me know they "Didn't Interview Just Anyone and that many people want this job". All right, I get it, I should be honored that you are speaking with me. Throughout the interview when I was explaining my answers, I could hear that he wasn't focused and ruffling papers or moving around.

As I started asking questions towards the end of the interview, I found out that I was one of ten candidates, four of which were internal. He stated that they firmly believed in hiring from within and the internal candidates were excellent. When I asked for his assessment of our interview overall, he said that he liked the answers I gave him and he thought I communicated well but he hadn’t completed all ten interviews.

I received a phone call 3 days later saying they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

User Interface Engineer Interview

Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at AutoTrader in August 2007.

Interview Details – had technical question test regarding Javascript, CSS and JSP. Then had an interview with some developers to see if we got along

Interview Question – what is the difference in a class and id in CSS?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a higher salary. Tried to offer 72k and I got 82k

Information Technology Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AutoTrader in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was very in depth. I met with several people over the course of 1 day. They perform behavioral interviews so be prepared to speak from your experiences and not just answer yes or no questions. Additionally they have a very fun and free culture, but don't let them trip you up during the interview process by making you feel too comfortable. They are looking for you to drop your guard, maintain your professionalism and all your proper interviewing techniques and training.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision, what steps you took and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

User Interface Engineer Interview

User Interface Engineer
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at AutoTrader in December 2008.

Interview Details – Met with several engineers. Discussed background and skill sets. Answered some problem solving skills.

Interview Question – Several questions regarding browsers, CSS and JavaScript.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, negotiations went fairly well.

Applications Engineer Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AutoTrader in March 2009.

Interview Details – Recruiter found my resume/profile online via LinkedIn and initially reached out via email.

Once we went over my background and basic skills, we set up three 1:1 interviews with different members of the other departments with whom I would be working. Smart questions were asked by each interviewer, but nothing "sneaky" or trying to put me on the defensive in any way.

Second round of interviews was not needed.

Salary RANGE expectations were discussed with the recruiter on the initial phone screen to ensure neither one of us was wasting the other's time.

Offer was actually made by the hiring manager followed up by a written offer from recruiting. Drug and Background checks performed after offer was completed.

Interview Question – Describe how you hanled a tough situation is a previous job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Know your own marketability (using this glassdoor.com site is great) is key.

Informatica Developer Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at AutoTrader in February 2008.

Interview Details – Hiring process was pretty straight forward.. Phone Interview with hiring manager followed by a half day face to fact with manager, director and then team

Interview Question – The interview was almost 5 years ago so i don't remember much.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had an opportunity to negotiate.. but I was getting paid a lot more than the previous employer so i took the offer without thinking about it. If i could go back i would negotiate.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for AutoTrader? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AutoTrader interview questions and advice in Atlanta, GA. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by AutoTrader employees and interview candidates.