AutoTrader

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

3.1

TIM Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader.

Took way too long, lack of communication from HR and Hiring Manager...Several phone screens, several phone interviews, and than a panel interview that was nothing more than 3 people deciding who might be the best representative for their company. HR never responds to emails or phone calls regarding status of application. It seemed like this was their way of getting ideas on how to improve their company and products without having to hire anyone, because in the end they hired an internal candidate anyway. Wasted a lot of time from talented candidates, some which were more talented and had better backgrounds than the managers doing the interview. Please, read this and don't waste your time, the only chance you have at getting the job is if there are no internal candidates. The internal candidate who did get the job was (no offense) uneducated, unprepared, and rude the entire interview, the reason why I know this is because everyone gets interviewed at the same time in the same room answering the same question one after another. This company has money and HAD great products, now its all going down the tubes quickly and it starts with their managers and HR department.

Too bad for them, I am one of the brightest minds in the business and got offered a better job with one of their competitors where my time, intelligence and experience was appreciated.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are easy, the process is easy, it just takes very long and there is a severe lack of communication the whole time.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AutoTrader.

I went through several phone screenings and then a face to face interview was scheduled with management. Interview was in S.T.A.R. format and was simple enough. You just need to be prepared to answer situational questions based on previous experience. I was not given a timeframe of when I would be contacted with an offer or at least to let me know they will not offer me a position. I assumed it would be a couple of weeks max so I waited patiently. After 3 1/2 weeks I contacted the recruiter who told me they weren't sure when a decision would be made but they would contact me. At 6 weeks I called again and the recruiter asked that I please be patient and that they will be making a decision the following week and they would contact me by the end of the week. They never called so I waited until Monday and spoke to the same person who acted like we had never spoken before and asked that I call back in about a week. After approximately 9 weeks I am notified that they will not be making me an offer. The problem is that every time I spoke to someone they were insistent that I wait and made me feel confident that I would be offered a position and in the end I was not. They showed very poor communication through the entire process and ended up being a huge waste of my time. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Collections Interview

scenario interviews spoke to managers they want to know how you handle the situations in scenario based. it was very easy if you have ever been in collections environment. so if you have been in collectins for some time you should not have an issue with scenarios we all know from collections stand point you have scenarios either positive or negative.

Campaign Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader in September 2014.

I applied for the position on Linkedin and was contacted by a recruiter about the position a month later. I did a 20 minute phone screen with the HR contact and was invited for an in person interview about a week later. The in person interview was with the two hiring managers and they asked a variety of behavioral interview questions on how you've handled certain situations within your current company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time that you had to implement a process with your current employer.   Answer Question

Digital Media Designer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at AutoTrader.

If the company is interested in you, there will be a brief phone screen with HR. If there is further interest, the first panel interview is scheduled. You will be asked behavioral and situational questions. It helps if you can craft a story of how you solved a problem and made an impact. If there is still interest at this point, one more panel interview will be scheduled. Based on results, a hiring decision will be made.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you handled a difficult customer. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AutoTrader.

Started as a contractor so my experience may be different from someone who started as a permanent employee. Phone screen was with the recruiter. I had to send in some samples of my work. Then it was an onsite interview with 2 peers and the hiring manager. Very casual interview. Each interviewer has their own style. I brought my portfolio as requested but they didn't bring it up. So I offered to show them a few things and they were pleased. Allow time to find parking, figure out how to get in and where to do, check in with security and get settled in. They were fairly quick in providing feedback about how the interview went.

Interview Questions
    • "Will you commute to far north Fulton County?" was asked repeatedly even though I told the recruited I had to be near 285. That was frustrating, but in the end they were flexible about which location I worked at when I started.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AutoTrader in June 2014.

The interview process was pretty smooth at first but then... there was a second interview. It started with a phone interview from one of the company's recruiters. The recruiter was very direct, clear with job description, salary, and even took the time to look up travel distance to see if the commute would even be feasible. Being upfront about these things was very helpful and made the rest of the interview process that much easier while potentially saving both of us time. I was then invited to an in person interview with a hiring manager. The interview was about an hour long and I'm not sure if it was due to the high level of professionalism shown by the recruiter that threw me off but the hiring manager was a bit of a let down in the "professionalism" category. I could be wrong but it was just the way I saw it at the time. Greeting me, then actually telling me to sit down and asking me for a copy of my resume by saying "resume?".

Interview Questions
    • It seemed as though the hiring manager was trying to scare me off with some of their responses to my responses. When asked where I saw myself in two to three years and I responded by saying "in a managerial position" or "in the same position but with added responsibility" the hiring manager looked at me like they just saw a ghost and while eating a sour candy at the same time. Then I was asked what kind of work environment would be ideal for me? I responded by saying "the ideal work environment would be one where a positive attitude and respect was highly regarded". The hiring manager smirked at me, shook their head, and said I'm not so sure the environment here is all that positive and laughed. It seemed as if most of the questions being asked were in the form of trying to persuade me into NOT pursuing the position instead of convincing me that the company, culture, and benefits I was made to believe earlier were true. Overall, based on my interview experience so far, this was probably one of my **gulp** better interviews but by no means was I expecting to receive discouragement from the hiring manager about applying to a position.   View Answer

Senior Database Administrator Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at AutoTrader.

interview is tough. i realized for the first time that I'm not a Sr dba after this interview. they didn't ask book questions but real-world scenario questions like ---" What if you came into work and ... "

Interview Questions
    • What if you came into work and the master db is down what are u gonna do?   Answer Question

Advertising Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader in May 2014.

The process consisted of 3 phone interviews, and 2 face to face interviews. The first phone interview was to see if they wanted to move me on in the process. The next 2 were with various managers and were to see if I had the experience they were looking for. The 2 face to face were normal, definitely not stressful compared to some others I have been on. I made it to the final 3 candidates , but was not offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Normal questions, nothing unexpected or tricky. The interviews were very straightforward.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader in April 2014.

Got contacted by a recruiter through my school. Asked a few questions and then weeks later a position opened up. Set up an in person STAR interview. Asked some expected questions such as "Tell me about yourself" and after describing some projects "What did you learn?" Then began to ask personality questions "What do you do for fun?" to try and see if they would enjoy working with you. It was very professional and rather quick, maybe 30 mins.

Interview Questions
    • The personality questions. I was told it was a STAR interview so I had an idea of what I was going to say about my resume, but didn't expect these. So I just talked about what I enjoy and who I am.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate because it was an internship.