AutoTrader

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

3.1

Advertising Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader in April 2014.

Applied online through a job website, next was a phone interview with recruiter. About two weeks later spoke to the district manager on the phone. Then had an in person interview with district manager and regional manager. Received a call from recruiter about a week after that providing more details about the job, had to provide further background information as well. About a week after that I got the call that they wanted to hire me. Overall the process took approximately 5 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What challenges do you foresee with this job?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate because I felt that the offer was fair and I figured I can always negotiate in the future once I get a feel for things.

Campaign Manager Interview

I had a total of 3 interviews, one with 2 dept managers, one with the dept Director and the last with the current CMs. The process took about 4 weeks. Lots of behavioral type questions so make sure you come prepared with stories.

Advertising Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader in February 2014.

I was referred by a current employee. I applied online and the employee also wrote a letter of recommendation. I did two phone interviews and a face to face interview. Overall it took about one month.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you did not meet your goals and why? How did your boss handle the situation and what was done to make sure it didn't happen again?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader.

The interview process is run by HR. Each department has an HR representative. They handle the screening, set up, and execution of the process. HR does a very thorough, professional job. You must enter all your resume data into their online system. It's a pain after you've gone to all the trouble of creating a .DOC, but it is what it is. Not unusual for these days. You go through one or two phone interviews, then two on-site sessions where you may see four or five individuals by the end of the day. Drug screening, criminal and financial histories are checked.

Interview Questions
    • Depends on what you're going for. I didn't encounter anything weird.   View Answer
    Not much negotiation. The offer was much better than I was doing at the time. I didn't push much.

Advertising Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader.

Hiring process is pretty typical. Usually entails 1- 2 telephone interviews (likely with Talent Acquisition then Hiring Manager), 1-2 in-person interviews (with hiring manager and Talent Acquisition Specialist); background check. Because this is a national/corporate company, everything is "by the books" and that is a good description of the culture as well.

Interview Questions
    • Might ask you to recall a time when you told someone one thing then told another person differently   Answer Question
    They did not negotiate. Have a set base pay.

Senior Market Research Analyst Interview

HR is very unprofessional and lazy, especially the HR employees in Atlanta. Not impressed at all with this company.

Director, Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader.

Typical STAR format. Phone screen with HR and most often second interview will be with two managers (minimum). Often a third interview will follow with higher title within reporting structure.

Interview Questions
    Easy but company will not budge on additional vacation days.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at AutoTrader in December 2012.

The phone screen and scheduling were straightforward. The in-house recruiter was very helpful, professional and responsive. They are very intentional and methodical about the hiring process. Nice offices with relaxed atmosphere. Located in Perimeter area. Secure building. Really knowledgeable interviewers. The business is very specialized. They are winning this vertical. Very profitable. The role, job titles and duties evolved during the recruitment process. But they are very upfront and transparent.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were a mix of traditional and STAR.   Answer Question

Advertising Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AutoTrader.

During the Interview, I was in front of a "panel" of 3 District Managers. Although a little intimidating at first, I quickly reminded myself that they had all sat in the same position that I was in at the moment. All I had to do was be myself, not what I thought they wanted me to be. There is a background check and a pre-employment drug screen- which I am all for; as I wouldn't want to work for a company that didn't require that.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview is the "Role-Play", where you are the Sales Rep. & they get to be the "Difficult Car Dealer". You have less than 5 minutes to read the specifics about the Dealership, seek a couple of different solutions for them, (Even though you don't really know the solutions at that time) and sweat through the denials, rejections, rebuttals, etc.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at AutoTrader.

This was a promotion from the Advertising Specialist position -- no interview was required.

Cut and dry -- was told what my new salary would be, and that was it.