AutoZone

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at AutoZone in May 2011.

Interview Details – Generally 1-2 interviews. Store manager candidates will do a panel interview before officially taking over a store. No drug test, background and driving record check were done prior to offer.

Interview Question – Most interviews are not standard questions. Expect more of a conversation than a traditional interview. Focus on customers-first, driving add-on sales and high energy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is negotiation on pay. Push it and wait until they say "no". When they want someone, they will pay for it.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AutoZone in October 2013.

Interview Details – Had 3 one on one interviews then a panel interview.

Interview Question – What is your management style?   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at AutoZone in February 2014.

Interview Details – It take about a month to get hired. It the Obama economy, you will most likely get part -time only

Interview Question – there are no difficult questions. even the hiring managers don't know the first thing about auto repair or parts.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they make an offer, take it or leave it. no negotiation.

Orem, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at AutoZone in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was promoted from a Commercial Manager position to a Store Manager. There wasn't much of an interview. I was offered the position and I accepted. I already had a good working relationship with my District Manager.

Negotiation Details – Not much of a negotiation. They offered the position at a specific salary, take it or leave it.

Tyler, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AutoZone in January 2013.

Interview Details – You interview with the Store Manager, and if you do well, you go on to interview with the District Manager

Interview Question – Industry related questions about auto parts. They are very detailed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They know what they want to pay you from the get go.

Store Manager

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at AutoZone.

Interview Details – The active part of the process took about 4 weeks. Everyone I spoke with was dedicated and pleasant. My only real concern with the process is that it seems that the normal method if you're not going to receive an offer is to just stop communicating with candidates. While candidates would like to win the job, it's better to tell people if they do not get the job. Just leaving people hanging isn't very professional and is inconsiderate. I actually enjoyed and had fun with the interviews but the leaving you hanging part eats up the goodwill toward the company.

Interview Question – Pretty typical management questions regarding leadership, training, and running a business.   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AutoZone in January 2009.

Interview Details – Initially I had a contact that currently worked for AutoZone. They thought I would be a good fit so they got me an interview with a district manager after I applied online and passed the personality test. At that time, the district manager offered me a job on the spot, and we negotiated salary, start date, etc. He actually recommended that I sleep on the offer, and make sure it was ok with my family which I thought showed they actually care. They wanted to make sure it was a good fit for me, which it was because I worked there for a few years. Overall was a very good experience.

Interview Question – All very straight forward interview questions. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy. I told them what I wanted, they gave it to me because I had experience.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at AutoZone.

Interview Details – 40 minutes of interview involving parts knowledge and retail sates experience

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AutoZone.

Interview Details – I was a current Parts Sales Manager working there for about a year prior to my interview. The interview was a panel interview with the Regional Manager, Human Resources Manager and Loss Prevention Manager. Mostly basic questions about loss prevention, ability to handle stressful environments, policy knowledge and hiring/coaching employees. It lasted for about 1 hour.

Interview Question – None really. If you've made it to that interview, you have the answers to their questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate my wage; they offered and I accepted. If I had to do it over again, I would have counter offered to get a higher starting wage.

Newark, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at AutoZone in May 2010.

Interview Details – For Store Manager you will typically be interviewed by a panel consisting of RM, RLPM, DM, and HR. They will ask you a series of questions regarding your experience, knowledge of store management, inventory management, loss prevention programs, and customer service.

Negotiation Details – Average to be honest. They are determined on a number and it is take it or leave it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at AutoZone

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AutoZone Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by AutoZone employees and interview candidates.