Autodesk

Autodesk Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014
Updated Sep 8, 2014

New Product Introduction Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Autodesk.

My resume was submitted by a referral from my former Manager and former Autodesk employee. I had an initial phone call with the Hiring Manager where I just went through my resume. She told me a little about the job. I didn't hear from them again for about 4 weeks when the recruiter finally contacted me again to schedule an in person interview. For the in person interview I met with the Hiring Manager and one other person (at the same time). The Hiring Manager asked me to go through my background again for the benefit of the other person. After I finished, she asked me if I had any questions which was surprising and not a great sign. Of course I asked a bunch of questions about the company and the position. At one point the other Manager asked me how I work in a fast paced environment, but that was the only other question they asked me during the whole interview. My suspicion is that they either already had another candidate in mind or they were only interviewing me out of courtesy to my former boss.

I never heard back from the recruiter that I did not get the position.

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Autodesk in March 2014.

I applied online through the taleo system. And was able to secure an interview with the manager. There were two interviews, first was in person and the second was online (hangouts). The interview was pretty smooth as the manager was a very amiable guy and explained the basics job requirements to me and the bigger picture where this position fits in. He asked about my projects listed in my resume.

Interview Questions
    • He suggested, "How about instead of me asking you questions, why don't you ask me what you would like to know about the position?"   View Answer
    Offer was good so no negotiation necessary

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Autodesk in May 2014.

I was contacted via LinkedIn by a recruiter. I did a phone screen with the recruiter, then a second phone screen with the hiring manager. Communication with the hiring manager was very slow, and it took more than 3 weeks to schedule the in-person interview. The interview was a pretty standard UX interview. It was an all-day interview that consisted of a portfolio presentation (1 hour), then 1:1 interviews (30 minute) with various members of the team. The 1:1 interviews were mostly about working with designers and program managers, sharing research results, and influencing without authority.

Overall, I did not think that the team was respectful of me as a candidate. The research exercise was a significant time investment, and made me quite uncomfortable since they asked me to conduct research about an Autodesk property. The hiring manager would not respond to email for a week or more. When I came in for the in-person interview, they did not reimburse me for the (quite expensive!) parking that they directed me to use. During the 1:1 interviews, only one of the interviewers gave me the opportunity to ask questions about the position or the team. After the in-person interview, it took more than two weeks for them to respond.

Interview Questions
    • The research exercise was to conduct research about an Autodesk website. You are told to choose the methodology that you will use.   View Answer

I was disappointed by the poor communication from the hiring manager and the team throughout the interview process, which made the decision easy.

Enterprise Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Autodesk in August 2014.

First had a phone screen interview with basic questions whether you know chef, puppet, other enterprise applications like jira, git, etc. Second question was about my working status. After that they asked me whether they can schedule an onsite interview. It was taken by 3 people. They tried to extract whether I was capable of working in an team and can work at odd hours. Also one of them asked me a few technical questions about unix and linux along with JIRA and Chef. Then after a few days they scheduled another interview with their off site manager.

Cloud Security Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Autodesk in July 2014.

I applied online and was contacted about 1.5 month later by the recruiter. Spoke with her on the phone, who gave me an overview of the position. She told me that there is no hiring manager yet because Autodesk is still recruiting for a Director level position for the Cloud Security team. However, somebody outside of the team will interview me instead.

A phone interview was scheduled by the recruiter, but 30 minutes before the scheduled interview time, the interviewer couldn’t make it. A 2nd phone interview was then scheduled. On that day, the interviewer was a no show. I contacted the recruiter and she could not find where she is (?). The following week, another phone interview was scheduled (this is now a 3rd attempt).

On the 3rd attempts, the interviewer was late so the total interview time got cut off. The interviewer asked about my skill set, but some of the discussions seems heated because she “disagreed” with my approach of implementing cloud security based on regulations and standard frameworks. As mentioned in the 1st paragraph, she is NOT in the Cloud Security team, she was tasked by Autodesk to do so until a dedicated Cloud Security personnel is hired. So it’s like you’re interviewing for an accounting position but the interviewer is in Marketing.

Anyway, I didn’t hear back from the recruiter after that. 2 emails went nowhere. After the blunder in scheduling the phone interview 3 times, the almost “hostile” discussions in the phone interview and the recruiter ignoring me, I don’t think I will want to work with Autodesk Security team.

Interview Questions
    • Trying to convince the interviewer that ISO 27001 consist of 2 separate parts - the ISMS framework and the ISO27002 controls.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Autodesk in June 2014.

I received an email and they setup an interview by phone. By phone they asked me questions about my resume, projects I have worked on and C++ experience. It seems to be that they required a C++ developer and my background and projects I have mostly worked on were not C++ oriented.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Rafael, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Autodesk.

Emailed asking to set up a phone interview. If not near the home office, the second round interview was a Skype interview. Final decision made shortly there after. Process was about 2 weeks. Very friendly.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Autodesk in May 2014.

Waiting reply for 1 month from application. Preparing phone interview for less than 1 week. And about 1 week later you will get the result. Then your work may start in a month. This is just the situation of summer intern in Novi. Most intern students are from University of Michigan and Michigan State University. Some intern from other states need find house themselves.

Interview Questions
    • No hard question in my interview, the interviewer is very nice and he may be your partner or supervisor when you get offer.   Answer Question

IT Helpdesk Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Autodesk in July 2013.

There are 2 interview rounds. 1 phone and 1 in person.

The phone interview is just an introduction of yourself and what you can bring to the company. There are no difficult questions that are asked. This is a time to ask the manager about processes and applications that you will have to support.

The in person interview is a panel of 2 to 3 people. Usually the manager and and two team members. This is their time to see where you fit, force you to think critically and test how fast you are able to think. All of the questions are behavioral questions and are not based on technical skill sets. Basic teamwork questions and customer service questions. There is 1 technical question that is not too difficult at all. If you do not know the answer to it then you should not call yourself a tech. Hint: It is related to networking.

Project Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Autodesk in April 2014.

I was referred by an ex-intern, applied online on Monday. Got a call the next day. Set up an interview call 2 days later i.e Thursday. The interview lasted around 45 minutes. Setup up the next interview at the end of the first call. Next interview was the very next day on Firday. Got an offer on Monday.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were based on my resume. My previous experience with the organizations I worked for. Pretty much had to tell my story and how I was on top of things. Some behavioral questions based on my narration of events.   Answer Question
    Initially offer a lowest scale salary for interns. Negotiated and expressed the fact that I had other offers which were paying higher and were in cities with lower cost of living. Ended up getting 30% more than what I was initially offered. Yes for an internship.

Autodesk Response

Jun 13, 2014Talent Brand and Social Media Manager

Sounds like you had a good experience with the interview process. Glad you could join!

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!