Autodesk Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.9

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk.

Interview

Applied on the online careers portal for Software Engineering Intern position. Got a call a month later. The manager of the project I joined later had called directly and discussed the role in detail. After that, I had 3 telephonic interviews scheduled for next week in which the interviewers mostly asked questions based on my experience and different technologies.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Autodesk (Novi, MI).

Interview

Process took a few months.

Met with engineer at school career fair. Got a phone interview where we talked about some general object oriented programming practices (can you explain class inheritance?) and some C++ specifics (talk about memory management in C++).

After the phone interview, they had me come in to the Novi office. Throughout a very pleasant day, I spoke with several engineers and other people on the Inventor team. Each person talked with me about a specific area. One portion was an Object Oriented Design session where we made the outline for the classes we would use in a program and the interviewer added new features as we went on to test how robust my solutions were. Another interview focused on more nitty-gritty C++ trivia and usage (how are smart pointers implemented, why is ++i faster than i++). Another section was your standard data structure interview, but unlike interviews with Microsoft, Amazon, etc. the interviewer was very pleasant and didn't unnecessarily add pressure to the interview. Another portion dealt with group processes, how I've worked with groups, workflows I've experienced, etc. They paid for lunch and I got a chance to talk with a couple of team members and ask them some questions.

Overall, the experience was pleasant. The hiring manager ended up saying that the team held me in high regard, but business necessities pushed them to cut the funding they would have needed for my position.

Interview Questions

• Why can ++i be faster than i++?   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in May 2015.

Interview

very Casual, I received an email and had a follow up phone call the day after. I applied for this position in April and recieved the email maybe a month later. After my interview, in a week, I was notified that I received the internship and received my offer letter shortly after.

Interview Questions

• If you were walking out of the interview and you thought about one question you wish your interviewer had asked you what would that question be?

What makes you qualified for this position?

Tell me about a difficult situation and how you overcame it in a professional manner

Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Autodesk.

Interview

the process went fast. It only took three days of three phone Interviews. The Interviewers are all pretty nice and didn't ask any hard questions. They also offered me lots of information about the Intern job and fairly welcomed me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one of the projects on your portfolio that you think represents your skills the most? (something like this, not the exact wording)   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Autodesk.

Interview

Hiring manager was very friendly and straight forward about discussing the job profile, clarifying the tasks and very cool while interview process. Highly professional and very cool! 3 rounds with one followup task to be submitted for job role. Overall enjoyed the experience.

Interview Questions

• tell experience matching job profile requirements, then grilled upon the answers; asked about current products.   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Autodesk.

Interview

Very relaxed atmosphere and people made you feel comfortable from the beginning. Flexible with scheduling. HR Dept is on west coast where I am on East, but they were extremely helpful and encouraging and made it as easy as possible.

Interview Questions

• What is your definition of failure?   1 Answer
    • Why choose Autodesk?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Autodesk in April 2015.

Interview

Asked about my resume, why joining the team, longest code I've written in a project, what language/tools did I use doing that project, operating systems and text editors that i've used . And then some simple C++ questions and data structures, plus XML and web protocols which I didn't know much about. I managed to get an in person interview next week.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in April 2015.

Interview

I felt Autodesk used me as an auditing evidence that "they do interview people from the outside for jobs" just so they won't get sued for when they hire internally. I had wasted my time, took time off work just to get in on interviews only to know that they were planning on hiring someone from the inside all along for the role I applied to. They were just going through the motions with me. Not only that, they were rude (taking interviews from being in the car) to having recruiters that don't even work for Autodesk do the hiring. Also this entire experience dragged on for 3 weeks due to scheduling, with finally the last interview ending quickly(within hours), telling me they are going to make an offer to someone internally. I had reason they had planned this all along and could have ended this earlier with me.

I also learned that employees are not as passionate as I had originally thought for the company. What was most shocking to learn from what they had told me during the interviews was that I was the first person they've come across to have ever actually used their products and that none of the employees there do. Can you believe that? None of the employees have even a grasped or have any sort of usability experience of the multiple software libraries of the very company they work for! How does any work get done then? A lot of them have work there 10+ years riding on the wave of every 4 years just so they can have a sabbatical! I was told that was the best thing about Autodesk or at least that was the notion I got when I asked them what they liked about working for Autodesk. It's no wonder we don't hear much about Autodesk in the news making any progress like we do with other tech software companies. I was fully qualified to be a forerunner driving force if I had gotten the position because I was passionate about Autodesk products having used them myself for years and loved them. Sorry to say, but my take on this experience was that they just hire robots they automate to do whatever you ask them to do. What a shame. The employees may be qualified for A position, but how can you not know what your company is all about? They mind as well work for any old company for the same position they do.

I was offered another opportunity for an interview of a similar position. I thought maybe the above was a rare case. I was wrong. First this is a software company. They can’t even do interviews over Skype. Fine, I can live with that and take time off to come in person. Second, the person who scheduled me for the interview didn’t even confirm the date nor address for the interview. I had to email back for this. The person was also rude on the phone suggesting I need to refer back to my original recruiter for details and rushed me in scheduling. I arrived early but the interviewer called me in 15 minutes late. Everything I believed the company to be in the first interview for another similar role had come true. The people at Autodesk simply want a robot who has no aspirations, no other career goals and no thought for advancement or moving up in society. They simply wanted mindless people to work for them and do the petty simple tasks that most of them can do themselves. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. What was worse, was that the interviewer insulting me with stating I was still young and it was alright to be ”undecided on career paths” for my future 5 years down the road. I was never undecided. I knew perfectly well what I wanted or I wouldn’t have been applying. I had to explain multiple times what I was focusing on and spoke clearly what I wanted, but afterwards, I realized he didn’t want a person to express their goals in life. He simply wanted me state that I would have been satisfied with this role given and would stay put forever doing what I’m doing.

This whole experience made me think differently now about Autodesk and perhaps many of corporate America. Who simply just hire people to be mindless robots doing their work day in and day out with no effect on the world, and no courage for change.

Oh and the reviews on glassdoor was correct, most are more of the older age group working there.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Autodesk?   1 Answer

Autodesk Response

Apr 29, 2015Talent Brand and Social Media Manager

Thank you for reaching out and providing us candid feedback on your experience. I want to assure you that we have heard your concerns and value them -- feedback helps us improve. Please reach out ... More

Gamification Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Autodesk (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

It's two phone interviews, the questions are all about my previous experience. I talked about my opinions about serious games. HR is nice and easy to communicate. I waited like one week to get my second phone interview. In the second interview, most of the question about my available time and my personal information.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Autodesk (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I got the intern by my friend's referral. The manager made a call and asked me about my expected package. He didn't ask too much about technical questions. We talked about the package, the housing, and the entry time.