Autodesk

Autodesk Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2014
Updated Oct 8, 2014

New Product Introduction Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Autodesk.

My resume was submitted by a referral from my former Manager and former Autodesk employee. I had an initial phone call with the Hiring Manager where I just went through my resume. She told me a little about the job. I didn't hear from them again for about 4 weeks when the recruiter finally contacted me again to schedule an in person interview. For the in person interview I met with the Hiring Manager and one other person (at the same time). The Hiring Manager asked me to go through my background again for the benefit of the other person. After I finished, she asked me if I had any questions which was surprising and not a great sign. Of course I asked a bunch of questions about the company and the position. At one point the other Manager asked me how I work in a fast paced environment, but that was the only other question they asked me during the whole interview. My suspicion is that they either already had another candidate in mind or they were only interviewing me out of courtesy to my former boss.

I never heard back from the recruiter that I did not get the position.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in September 2014.

Attended 2 rounds of phone interviews and mostly conceptual and programming questions and I did well in the phone interviews. They were supposed to schedule F2F and I did not hear back from them if they are still continuing with the hiring process or role. I understand role might be on hold or filled internally, at least communicate to candidates about your process and decision. Whether candidates or hiring managers, everyone's time is important!

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in September 2014.

I came to know about this position from Glassdor. Applied on the Autodesk career site. Got a call from the recruiter after a week. I was contacted for first round of Technical Phone interview after 3 days. After one week I was again asked for one more round of Technical Phone Interview. Recruiter said they want me to come for an onsite interview. Scheduled an interview for four and half hours. For an Automation QA position the interview panel had one senior development manager, one Architect, one Principal Engineer. No questions at all asked on QA Process/Automation Process. I was wondering for what position was I called for the interview and was surprised if I have to write Automation codes or design spacecraft. Few questions I was asked are - Write a Program to find the distance between a circle and a square on a drawing board. Write a program to print all the nodes of a binary tree. Find out the big o notation of a nested loop. What XML request is sent when a website is called. The detailed parameters sent in url, header and body. Looks like they are already decided to hire someone but to show management that they did a choice out of X people for the sake of interview formality they call people. It's a process of rejection not a selection. Not sure if this is what the policy followed for all similar jobs or it was specific only for me because they had already decided not to hire before interview and looks like they had already finalized someone else.

Interview Questions
    • Write a Program to find the distance between a circle and a square on a drawing board. Write a program to print all the nodes of a binary tree. Find out the big o notation of a nested loop. What XML request is sent when a website is called and what exact response comes in XML. The detailed parameters sent in url, header and body for both the request and response.   Answer Question

Enterprise Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in August 2014.

First had a phone screen interview with basic questions whether you know chef, puppet, other enterprise applications like jira, git, etc. Second question was about my working status. After that they asked me whether they can schedule an onsite interview. It was taken by 3 people. They tried to extract whether I was capable of working in an team and can work at odd hours. Also one of them asked me a few technical questions about unix and linux along with JIRA and Chef. Then after a few days they scheduled another interview with their off site manager.

Cloud Security Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Autodesk in July 2014.

I applied online and was contacted about 1.5 month later by the recruiter. Spoke with her on the phone, who gave me an overview of the position. She told me that there is no hiring manager yet because Autodesk is still recruiting for a Director level position for the Cloud Security team. However, somebody outside of the team will interview me instead.

A phone interview was scheduled by the recruiter, but 30 minutes before the scheduled interview time, the interviewer couldn’t make it. A 2nd phone interview was then scheduled. On that day, the interviewer was a no show. I contacted the recruiter and she could not find where she is (?). The following week, another phone interview was scheduled (this is now a 3rd attempt).

On the 3rd attempts, the interviewer was late so the total interview time got cut off. The interviewer asked about my skill set, but some of the discussions seems heated because she “disagreed” with my approach of implementing cloud security based on regulations and standard frameworks. As mentioned in the 1st paragraph, she is NOT in the Cloud Security team, she was tasked by Autodesk to do so until a dedicated Cloud Security personnel is hired. So it’s like you’re interviewing for an accounting position but the interviewer is in Marketing.

Anyway, I didn’t hear back from the recruiter after that. 2 emails went nowhere. After the blunder in scheduling the phone interview 3 times, the almost “hostile” discussions in the phone interview and the recruiter ignoring me, I don’t think I will want to work with Autodesk Security team.

Interview Questions
    • Trying to convince the interviewer that ISO 27001 consist of 2 separate parts - the ISMS framework and the ISO27002 controls.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk.

Emailed asking to set up a phone interview. If not near the home office, the second round interview was a Skype interview. Final decision made shortly there after. Process was about 2 weeks. Very friendly.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in June 2014.

I received an email and they setup an interview by phone. By phone they asked me questions about my resume, projects I have worked on and C++ experience. It seems to be that they required a C++ developer and my background and projects I have mostly worked on were not C++ oriented.

Data Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Autodesk.

General interview about the experience I have and projects I have done before, the hiring manger discuss a lot about the previous interns and the sepcific roles and task I did. The I talked with other members in the team, finally I talked with a sr manger in in company.

Interview Questions
    • About the softwares I have not used before,and say that they have a question to be solved   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

The hiring process was long but worth it. It helps ensure they are hiring the best people. Once the interviews started, they were quick and efficient. Everyone I met with was prepared and took time to answer the questions I had. There were a mix of phone and face to face interviews.

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Autodesk in May 2014.

I was contacted via LinkedIn by a recruiter. I did a phone screen with the recruiter, then a second phone screen with the hiring manager. Communication with the hiring manager was very slow, and it took more than 3 weeks to schedule the in-person interview. The interview was a pretty standard UX interview. It was an all-day interview that consisted of a portfolio presentation (1 hour), then 1:1 interviews (30 minute) with various members of the team. The 1:1 interviews were mostly about working with designers and program managers, sharing research results, and influencing without authority.

Overall, I did not think that the team was respectful of me as a candidate. The research exercise was a significant time investment, and made me quite uncomfortable since they asked me to conduct research about an Autodesk property. The hiring manager would not respond to email for a week or more. When I came in for the in-person interview, they did not reimburse me for the (quite expensive!) parking that they directed me to use. During the 1:1 interviews, only one of the interviewers gave me the opportunity to ask questions about the position or the team. After the in-person interview, it took more than two weeks for them to respond.

Interview Questions
    • The research exercise was to conduct research about an Autodesk website. You are told to choose the methodology that you will use.   View Answer

I was disappointed by the poor communication from the hiring manager and the team throughout the interview process, which made the decision easy.