Autodesk

Updated Nov 5, 2014

Principal User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Oswego, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Oswego, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in June 2013.

I discovered the position via LinkedIn and applied on the website. HR contacted me about a week later. They scheduled a 30 min phone screen with the hiring manager for a few days later. The phone call ended up lasting 1hr 15 minutes.

HR called me a few days later to say they wanted to fly me in for an in-person interview. It took a week to schedule that and there were times I didn't hear back from HR for a few days.

My on site interview was from 8am to 4:30pm. I had 6 1:1s, lunch, and a 1-hr portfolio review. The hiring manager said they had to interview 2-3 more people and I would hear back within 2 weeks. HR called me the next day to say they wanted to move forward and asked for my references and to complete a background check.

HR asked me about salary requirements and when I could start & relocate? She said the hiring manager would like me to relocate in 4-5 weeks. They sent me an email explaining benefits. I had confirmation from my references that they were contacted. HR said the background check could take 2 weeks - so now I'm waiting for it to come back to see if I will be getting an offer. I would hate to have gone through all of this and not get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't really asked difficult questions, but the panel did ask a lot of questions during my presentation.   Answer Question

Commissions Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Autodesk in June 2013.

Recruiter was very reponsive and worked on sheculing interviews around my free time. The interview was a phone interview. The department manager was very professional.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Autodesk.

Very detailed with 5 people interviewing you.
    Sometimes you might have the same questions being repeated.
    Few Algorithmic and Data Structures related ones.
    Some about system internals.
    Mostly about what you have done so far and how you tackled various scenarios

Interview Questions
    In my case there was no room for negotiation as it was in the range that I asked for.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Autodesk in April 2013.

The whole process took 1.5 years. I visited headquarters as part of an alternative spring break with my university and then applied for a summer internship. I had already accepted an offer and started working for a different company when Autodesk called to interview me. After that, I maintained the relationship through LinkedIn for a year to try for a position the next summer. Through that relationship, I was successful and got one of the best internship positions at the company. The most important step was the Management Team Interview, for which I prepped by looking up everyone on the call on LinkedIn to understand their backgrounds so I would know what technical level to speak at and know what rhetoric would be most effective to give satisfying answers.

(For the second time through...)
    1. Resume and cover letter through career portal.
    2. Call with recruiter pre-interview to determine best fit job to interview for.
    3. Pre-interview with low level and contingent team members. (2 People, engineers, non technical interview)
    4. Direct Manager Interview (1 Person, direct manager, non-technical interview)
    5. Management Team Interview (4 People, direct manager, direct manager's boss, and 2 other managers, non technical interview)
    Total people who interviewed me = 7
    Total number of interviews = 4 (2 individual, 2 group @ 2 and 4 person sizes)

Interview Questions
    • After answering the 3 greatest strengths and 3 worst weaknesses question with 3 strengths and 3 weakness that are kind of strengths, I was asked to give 3 "areas for improvement" that I know are problems, are different from my "weaknesses" and need improvement. This was most difficult because it was CLEAR that (she) the boss's boss wanted my ACTUAL weaknesses. Not things that are kind of strengths or things that are minor weaknesses. She wanted my kryptonite because she wanted to know that I was capable of recognizing, acknowledging, and working on my own ACTUAL faults. She also wanted to know that I had the ability to explain my faults without making them sound terrible or being apologetic about not being perfect. Very tough to parse in the heat of the moment.   Answer Question
    It was an internship at one of the best companies in the Bay Area with one of the best pay rates to boot. I took what they gave me on the first round with no complaints.

Intern - Factory Design Suite Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in April 2013.

I applied online to a position and got an email from them to discuss the internship project with me. It was a phone interview which lasted for about an hour. I was interviewed by a panel of two. One of the best phone interviews I had. The interviewers reviewed my resume beforehand and asked me questions related to my projects, technical skills, programming experience and some computer science concepts.

Interview Questions
    • Design questions such as designing a new york city subway   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Autodesk.

- Applied on the company site
    - HR got to me after 1-2 months due to christmas and new year's. She put me through to Sr, Product Manager
    - 30 min phone interview with Sr PM. He put me through to Director of Product Management
    - Director of PM had a 15 min chat. Seemed they were looking for a more experienced person and had already made a decision regd me and just wanted to check if I had the experience the required.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. General Product Management questions.
      What does Product Management mean to you?
        Answer Question
    • Tell me about your current role ?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current company ?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

two rounds of phone interview. Talking about projects that have done before.

no negotiation

Marketing & Strategy Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk.

The most difficult interview out of 30 I've had before landing a job with another firm. The company did not test any specific skill or ability to do the job for which I was interviewed. Instead, I was asked extremely vague questions to test my 'thought process'.

Senior Linux Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in March 2013.

I applied via linkedin profile and i got the callback from a recruiter in two weeks for a phone screen. Phonescreen roughly lasted for about 40mins and it went very well; I spoke to an engineer who's very friendly and knowledgeable.
    Next day recruiter reached out to me and shared the feedback was very positive and gave a headsup that i should expect to hear from scheduling team for an onsite schedule in the next few hours. After two days i didn't hear from scheduling, i sent a followup email. Following day i was asked for an onsite availability and an all day onsite was scheduled at their one market office. I met with roughly 7 people from 10:00AM to 4:30pm and this too went really well. Within two days recruiter reaches out to me and shares the company benefits brochure, tells me feedback was very positive and the team would like to have me onboard, about the plans to send an offer and inquires what i am making with my current position.

I was very honest about my pay with my current employer and explained how their pay structure is different than other firms, how/why i liked the job@autodesk, the team and emphasized salary is negotiable and am open to take a paycut. To be honest, i had the same conversation with recruiter well before the phone screen was scheduled. The next day, recruiter reaches out to me and asks if i could share a paystub to validate my pay with present employer, which i promptly sent. This is where the fun begins.. the next day recruiter calls me up and shares the info that hiring manager would like to kickoff the background check in parallel to fasten the process and have me take another 40min phone screen with a person in their singapore office.

I was little surprised by change in the course, though i took the phone screen and then i was invited for another onsite for 3hrs next day. I met with 4 more persons of the team and this was a panel. After two days i get a system generated email saying how awesome my skillset was and how much they enjoyed the conversation, but they had to pass me for another candidate.

While i understand there could be different factors in selecting candidates or overturning the earlier decisions, I felt it was downright stupid approach to mislead a prospective applicant have them share sensitive information such as social and then retract the verbal offer(?). You could just be honest about your decisions.

Overall i felt there's no transparency or clarity in the entire process. The real ticker here is the reqid in the interview sheet and emails were different. When asked why is that, i was told by hiring manager that they have multiple positions open and the panel has people from different teams. So, being said that i think it was fair for me to say, it was purely illogical and haphazard interview experience i had so far.

Interview Questions
    • How could you transfer chunks of files (>1TB) over network and how would you design a solution ?   View Answer

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Autodesk.

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn and we connected with a quick phone screen. Once she determined I was qualified she scheduled an hour long phone interview with the hiring manager which led to a follow up with that person's manager.

The next step was a day long on site interview where I met with almost 20 people. Most of the interviews were an hour long and comprised of two employees asking me questions. There were a couple of phone interviews as well. The day concluded with a group presentation of my work to all the people I interviewed with and then some.

Several people I met had lofty titles but could not explicitly tell me what they did on a day to day basis. I met very few people who were hands on.

Interview Questions
    • Does this job scare you?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a product that hasn't been well received by the community but won't be updated for quite a while?   Answer Question