Autodesk

125 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Autodesk.

Interview Details – Very detailed with 5 people interviewing you.
Sometimes you might have the same questions being repeated.
Few Algorithmic and Data Structures related ones.
Some about system internals.
Mostly about what you have done so far and how you tackled various scenarios

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – In my case there was no room for negotiation as it was in the range that I asked for.

Intern - Factory Design Suite Interview

Intern - Factory Design Suite

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Autodesk in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online to a position and got an email from them to discuss the internship project with me. It was a phone interview which lasted for about an hour. I was interviewed by a panel of two. One of the best phone interviews I had. The interviewers reviewed my resume beforehand and asked me questions related to my projects, technical skills, programming experience and some computer science concepts.

Interview Question – Design questions such as designing a new york city subway   Answer Question

Senior Linux Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Linux Systems Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Autodesk in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied via linkedin profile and i got the callback from a recruiter in two weeks for a phone screen. Phonescreen roughly lasted for about 40mins and it went very well; I spoke to an engineer who's very friendly and knowledgeable.
Next day recruiter reached out to me and shared the feedback was very positive and gave a headsup that i should expect to hear from scheduling team for an onsite schedule in the next few hours. After two days i didn't hear from scheduling, i sent a followup email. Following day i was asked for an onsite availability and an all day onsite was scheduled at their one market office. I met with roughly 7 people from 10:00AM to 4:30pm and this too went really well. Within two days recruiter reaches out to me and shares the company benefits brochure, tells me feedback was very positive and the team would like to have me onboard, about the plans to send an offer and inquires what i am making with my current position.

I was very honest about my pay with my current employer and explained how their pay structure is different than other firms, how/why i liked the job@autodesk, the team and emphasized salary is negotiable and am open to take a paycut. To be honest, i had the same conversation with recruiter well before the phone screen was scheduled. The next day, recruiter reaches out to me and asks if i could share a paystub to validate my pay with present employer, which i promptly sent. This is where the fun begins.. the next day recruiter calls me up and shares the info that hiring manager would like to kickoff the background check in parallel to fasten the process and have me take another 40min phone screen with a person in their singapore office.

I was little surprised by change in the course, though i took the phone screen and then i was invited for another onsite for 3hrs next day. I met with 4 more persons of the team and this was a panel. After two days i get a system generated email saying how awesome my skillset was and how much they enjoyed the conversation, but they had to pass me for another candidate.

While i understand there could be different factors in selecting candidates or overturning the earlier decisions, I felt it was downright stupid approach to mislead a prospective applicant have them share sensitive information such as social and then retract the verbal offer(?). You could just be honest about your decisions.

Overall i felt there's no transparency or clarity in the entire process. The real ticker here is the reqid in the interview sheet and emails were different. When asked why is that, i was told by hiring manager that they have multiple positions open and the panel has people from different teams. So, being said that i think it was fair for me to say, it was purely illogical and haphazard interview experience i had so far.

Interview Question – How could you transfer chunks of files (>1TB) over network and how would you design a solution ?   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Autodesk.

Interview Details – - Applied on the company site
- HR got to me after 1-2 months due to christmas and new year's. She put me through to Sr, Product Manager
- 30 min phone interview with Sr PM. He put me through to Director of Product Management
- Director of PM had a 15 min chat. Seemed they were looking for a more experienced person and had already made a decision regd me and just wanted to check if I had the experience the required.

Interview Questions

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Autodesk

Interview Details – two rounds of phone interview. Talking about projects that have done before.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Marketing & Strategy Analytics Interview

Marketing & Strategy Analytics
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Autodesk.

Interview Details – The most difficult interview out of 30 I've had before landing a job with another firm. The company did not test any specific skill or ability to do the job for which I was interviewed. Instead, I was asked extremely vague questions to test my 'thought process'.

User Experience Designer Interview

User Experience Designer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Autodesk.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn and we connected with a quick phone screen. Once she determined I was qualified she scheduled an hour long phone interview with the hiring manager which led to a follow up with that person's manager.

The next step was a day long on site interview where I met with almost 20 people. Most of the interviews were an hour long and comprised of two employees asking me questions. There were a couple of phone interviews as well. The day concluded with a group presentation of my work to all the people I interviewed with and then some.

Several people I met had lofty titles but could not explicitly tell me what they did on a day to day basis. I met very few people who were hands on.

Interview Questions

• Does this job scare you?   Answer Question
  • How would you handle a product that hasn't been well received by the community but won't be updated for quite a while?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
San Rafael, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Autodesk.

Interview Details – Pleasant and straightforward

Interview Question – Why do you think you would be good at this job?   Answer Question

Solutions Engineer Interview

Solutions Engineer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Autodesk in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was first approached by a recruiter who interviewed me over the phone. He was such a nice person and he even "coached" me on what I should say etc and I gladly took his advise.
I then had a couple of phone interviews with the product manager and the hiring manager. The calls lasted over an hour each and were technical and very specific to the product.
Finally I was invited to the office to give a product presentation as part of the interview process. I prepared a PPT presentation however when I arrived, I realized that the hiring manager wanted me to "demo" the product. I did but it was very awkward as I was very not prepared.

Interview Question – I was asked to "demo" the product without a notice. I would have loved a headsup that I will be test driving the product!   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Territory Sales Manager
San Rafael, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 9 months - interviewed at Autodesk in September 2011.

Interview Details – be prepaired for detailed understanding of job, market, product and customer

Interview Question – Role play how you might solve a difficult client expectation   View Answer

Negotiation Details – What is your present compensation?