Autodesk

3.2

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in September 2014.

I came to know about this position from Glassdor. Applied on the Autodesk career site. Got a call from the recruiter after a week. I was contacted for first round of Technical Phone interview after 3 days. After one week I was again asked for one more round of Technical Phone Interview. Recruiter said they want me to come for an onsite interview. Scheduled an interview for four and half hours. For an Automation QA position the interview panel had one senior development manager, one Architect, one Principal Engineer. No questions at all asked on QA Process/Automation Process. I was wondering for what position was I called for the interview and was surprised if I have to write Automation codes or design spacecraft. Few questions I was asked are - Write a Program to find the distance between a circle and a square on a drawing board. Write a program to print all the nodes of a binary tree. Find out the big o notation of a nested loop. What XML request is sent when a website is called. The detailed parameters sent in url, header and body. Looks like they are already decided to hire someone but to show management that they did a choice out of X people for the sake of interview formality they call people. It's a process of rejection not a selection. Not sure if this is what the policy followed for all similar jobs or it was specific only for me because they had already decided not to hire before interview and looks like they had already finalized someone else.

Interview Questions
    • Write a Program to find the distance between a circle and a square on a drawing board. Write a program to print all the nodes of a binary tree. Find out the big o notation of a nested loop. What XML request is sent when a website is called and what exact response comes in XML. The detailed parameters sent in url, header and body for both the request and response.   Answer Question

Enterprise Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in August 2014.

First had a phone screen interview with basic questions whether you know chef, puppet, other enterprise applications like jira, git, etc. Second question was about my working status. After that they asked me whether they can schedule an onsite interview. It was taken by 3 people. They tried to extract whether I was capable of working in an team and can work at odd hours. Also one of them asked me a few technical questions about unix and linux along with JIRA and Chef. Then after a few days they scheduled another interview with their off site manager.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk.

Emailed asking to set up a phone interview. If not near the home office, the second round interview was a Skype interview. Final decision made shortly there after. Process was about 2 weeks. Very friendly.

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Autodesk in May 2014.

I was contacted via LinkedIn by a recruiter. I did a phone screen with the recruiter, then a second phone screen with the hiring manager. Communication with the hiring manager was very slow, and it took more than 3 weeks to schedule the in-person interview. The interview was a pretty standard UX interview. It was an all-day interview that consisted of a portfolio presentation (1 hour), then 1:1 interviews (30 minute) with various members of the team. The 1:1 interviews were mostly about working with designers and program managers, sharing research results, and influencing without authority.

Overall, I did not think that the team was respectful of me as a candidate. The research exercise was a significant time investment, and made me quite uncomfortable since they asked me to conduct research about an Autodesk property. The hiring manager would not respond to email for a week or more. When I came in for the in-person interview, they did not reimburse me for the (quite expensive!) parking that they directed me to use. During the 1:1 interviews, only one of the interviewers gave me the opportunity to ask questions about the position or the team. After the in-person interview, it took more than two weeks for them to respond.

Interview Questions
    • The research exercise was to conduct research about an Autodesk website. You are told to choose the methodology that you will use.   View Answer

I was disappointed by the poor communication from the hiring manager and the team throughout the interview process, which made the decision easy.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Autodesk in May 2014.

Hired through an agency; very fast process (all done within a week). Three people were interviewing me. Questions were rather typical for this role. They asked for a sample of work (which is not very typical for this type of position).

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really surprising; typical past experience questions   Answer Question
    N/A. Rate agreed upon with the contracting agency.

Project Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Autodesk in April 2014.

I was referred by an ex-intern, applied online on Monday. Got a call the next day. Set up an interview call 2 days later i.e Thursday. The interview lasted around 45 minutes. Setup up the next interview at the end of the first call. Next interview was the very next day on Firday. Got an offer on Monday.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were based on my resume. My previous experience with the organizations I worked for. Pretty much had to tell my story and how I was on top of things. Some behavioral questions based on my narration of events.   Answer Question
    Initially offer a lowest scale salary for interns. Negotiated and expressed the fact that I had other offers which were paying higher and were in cities with lower cost of living. Ended up getting 30% more than what I was initially offered. Yes for an internship.

Autodesk Response

Jun 13, 2014Talent Brand and Social Media Manager

Sounds like you had a good experience with the interview process. Glad you could join!

Human Resources Business Partner and Od Training Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Autodesk.

Long and inclusive;

Reasonable; not prolonged; you want to work for them or you do not.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Autodesk in January 2014.

My experience for me was not good. I had an on site Interview and I thought the manager was rude. I was in the middle of one of my interviews with an engineer, and he interrupted it without letting me finish. He told me I had no chance and asked me to leave.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in December 2013.

Process took about three to four weeks after I posted an application on their web portal and started with a phone interview with the recruiter. After that, I was put in touch with the hiring manager and had another 30 minute screening call in which the same questions were asked (why do you want to leave your current job, why auto desk, etc.). The recruiter got back to me within 24 hours to let me know they would like to go forward with in-house interviews.

The in-house interviews consisted of 6 30-minute interviews in person with varying levels of employees and management. All of the interviews were similar in content so once I got through the first few, my answers were well-rehearsed. I felt the focus was more on how well I collaborate with different personalities rather than technical expertise, but that could be because they were comfortable with my resume experience as I was over-qualified for the position.

After the in-house interviews, I was contacted again by the recruiter within 24 hours to let me know the team liked me so much they wanted me to interview for a different, more senior role and brought me back to me 5 additional people for 30 minute interviews each the following week. The interviews were similar and all interviewers were extremely friendly. I received a written offer within 24 hours and was given 4 days to accept. I attempted to negotiate a higher salary to no avail, which they were very cordial about, and I accepted the offer anyways.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your strengths and weaknesses, tell me about a difficult project you successfully led, tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a supervisor and how you handled it, how would your boss describe you, tell me about some experiences you have collaborating with people with differing backgrounds   Answer Question
    When I told my current employer about the offer, they offered me financial incentive to stay for an additional 6-8 weeks. When I approached Autodesk about this, they were cordial but were not flexible on my start date or compensation. I felt they were sincere in their effort to accommodate me, but at the end of the day they weren't able to compromise. I think their initial offer was generous (and more than my current salary), so I accepted the offer anyways.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Autodesk in October 2013.

2.5 weeks from submitting application online to the initial phone screen with an internal recruiter (pretty typical questions: why Autodesk, compensation range, availability).

Several days later I had a phone interview with a manager, during which we talked about my background, my portfolio, and the team & role. We set up on-site interviews for the same week. I received a UX task to complete beforehand.

On-site interviews: I met with 6 members of the team (UX manager, designers, product managers, director). I discussed my solution to the UX task, walked through a couple of projects in my portfolio, and talked about how familiar I was with the Agile development process, how I generally work with a team, how I resolved conflicts, what tech skills/knowledge I had, what I do to keep my design skills fresh, etc. Everyone was very friendly and seemed like they enjoyed being there. The office typically empties out by 5:30-6pm.

I got a verbal offer over the phone a week later and started the background check (4 weeks after I applied online). They sent over the written offer 2 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Redesign a particular feature. I was given business & user requirements, a few things they'd looked at as part of a competitive analysis, and asked to deliver wireframes. Time limit was about 90 minutes. Not unexpected, but it was the shortest time limit I've had on a design task.   Answer Question
    The offer was above the range I asked for, so I didn't negotiate.