Autodesk

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Autodesk.

Interview Details – Phone interview with portfolio walkthrough followed by onsite interviews with 5 people in design team. Mostly portfolio review with lots of probing questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Autodesk?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Autodesk in August 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process usually involves a chat with an employee, who referred you, as most new hires are referrals, then a phone interview with the manage who is doing the hiring as well as their direct manager. After that you will have a panel interview with the team you'll be working with 6-30 people, but more than 12 and it will likely be broken up into separate groups. After a 1-2 hour panel interview you'll have a day's worth of 1 on 2 interviews (30-60mins) with each of the team members you'll be working with. After this each team member will evaluate you to their manager. If most team members would like to have you on the team, you'll have 1 last interview with the manager, and a phone interview with HR to discuss financials, after that you're set.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Initial pay is strongly based on years of experience and level of education earned, not a lot of wiggle room, once you're in the door that number doesn't mean too much, so don't get too hung up on it.

Senior Interaction Designer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Autodesk in January 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, no reply. Applied through friend, manager contacted within 1 week. Same with other friends.
Manager called on phone. Surprise 1st interview done by manager. Just verify work experience. Nice talk. Not difficult. Give me solve interaction design problem for homework. Not difficult. Found on another company website.
No reply for 2 weeks. Then call company for interview. 1 interview. Some dev, designer together interview me. Easy start but then ask me solve problem. Went okay. All questions about 3D, engineering so not so easy. Asked questions and they are happy to give more information.
Then phone interview with US. Some manager called. Ask question on experience and projects. Not so hard.
No order in question. They ask what you talk about. Surprised so many interviews and so much time but no order. They like me. I think. Give offer after 3 weeks.

Interview Question – Microsoft Word has a feature that allows you to create tables. When you click on the Insert tab in the ribbon, and select the Table option, you gets this:
The aim of these exercises is to help us see how well you might fit the Interaction Designer Generation role.
We are looking for your ability to:
++Identify and solve design problems at both the conceptual and detailed level
++Describe your design and tell us why
it’s good
++Understand the people for whom you
are designing
Feel free to use whatever tools you feel you need, but make sure the response is your own. Provide enough illustration and written description of your designs, in whatever medium you are comfortable, to get your point across. Finished art is not necessary. Spend as much or as little time as you wish, but an hour on Part One and no more than a couple of hours on Part Two should be plenty.
Above all: Have fun!
If this isn’t fun, this job probably isn’t for you.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Friend tell me too much work. Not many know company. Not good for design career.

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!