Avalara Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was first interviewed on the phone with a Test lead, then invited for an on-site interview. It was a 5-hr interview with one person at a time. I was interviewed by a test lead, a dev lead, 2 devs, and a VP at the end. Everyone asked me about problem solving/coding/testing. The questions weren't really difficult or unexpected. They were all easy to talk to and friendly.

Interview Questions

• The coding questions were about strings, hash table, design,... If you reviewed the algorithms well, you'll do fine.   Answer Question

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bainbridge Island, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Bainbridge Island, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by the HR director via LinkedIn and had a brief telephone interview with her. We set a time for me to come in to the office later that week. The interview took approximately four hours. I met with six people in groups of two. Interviewers were dressed very casually, but I got the impression that a suit was a good choice for me. The original schedule of who I was meeting with was completely changed around once I arrived, leading to some confusion about names and roles of my interviewers.
    I felt fairly positive about the interview and sent a thank you to my original contact. She replied that they would be opening up the position to other candidates, but would be keeping in touch with me. Two weeks later, I hadn't heard anything, so I thanked her for considering me. She again reiterated that she hadn't made a decision yet. Four weeks later, there has been no formal rejection or further contact.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avalara in April 2015.

Interview

HR interview and the first round technical interview happened in the same morning. The questions were quite easy but I forgot to ask about the required complexity. The signal was weak so I asked him to repeat several times, but he was still patient and nice. And don't forget to ask for information about Avalara if they mention, they value this.

Interview Questions

• Solve Fibonacci Sequence, asked time and space complexity.   Answer Question
    • Design a data structure for super large integer. Implement add operation.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 phone interviews, 1 with recruiter and 1 with hiring manager. It was a solid hour of questions and conversation - not a walk in the park, but they weren't looking to find holes in my game either, just wanting to make sure that I was truly a good fit.

1 full day of in person interviews with nearly the whole team, including a phone call with a remote team member. Everyone asked specific questions related to their role and how this role would play into those. Again, questions were tough, poignant, and thought provoking but not intended to trip me up. I was asked for specific examples of applicable work I had done, as well as to shed light on how I would approach certain tasks/challenges.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very straight forward and simple, they came in slightly above what I asked for which I thought was completely fair based on my experience and industry standards. I went over this on the first call with the recruiter and never had to revisit it until I had my offer in hand.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Avalara (Durham, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

Great conversation with initial recruiter then brought in for an in-person interview with current sales reps, two managers, and the Sales Director. All were very professional and willing to let me interview them about the company, not just interviewing me. They were very quick to get back to me with an offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you evaluate your success in comparison to your peers?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Avalara in February 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen with recruiter went well. Then phone screen with hiring manager that went excellent. I expected to come in for in person interview after the call. I received email less than 2 hours later telling me that I was no longer in consideration. Surprised I wrote the recruiter and asked why and never heard back.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions about digital marketing approach, analytics, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bainbridge Island, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Avalara (Bainbridge Island, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

After the standard phone interview I was asked to come in to the office and "meet the team." The process was more a tour of the office and meeting different members of the sales manager team. four or five sales managers would sit with me one at a time and we would have a back and forth conversation about myself, and my qualifications/ intentions. And myself asking them about their motivations and experiences with the company.

Interview Questions

• What of my past work experience would help me in the position.   Answer Question

Director PM Interview

Interview

The recruiter reached out and scheduled a meeting. She later cancelled two hours before we were scheduled to chat and suggested exactly one alternate time later the same day. I replied that time didn't work and never received a reply back. Only when I called her out for not replying and poorly representing the company did she reply back and request a reschedule. I'd never move forward with a company that exposes this type of person to senior prospects and I did not in this case.

Interview Questions

• The only question asked was in reference to position interest and scheduling logistics.   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, then manager, then in-person interview with the manager and a few team members. HR called to make offer and negotiate salary. I also requested informational interviews with team members and was able to speak with two. Everyone was very informative and welcoming .

Interview Questions

• Pretty typical, I get the impression they're focused on whether you're a good fit for the team   Answer Question

Negotiation

HR called to make the offer. I got the impression there isn't a very wide range of salaries for each position.

Customer Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Bainbridge Island, WA) in June 2014.

Interview

I went through a couple of rounds of interviews for 2 different roles. I was passed over for the first but reconnected with the recruiter and brought in for another set of interviews for a different role. The interview process is pretty standard with initial phone calls and 1-2 rounds of interviews at various locations. My interviewers focused on looking for attributes rather then just past "achievements". I really appreciated this as it shows they are looking for good people, rather then just someone who can throw out big numbers on their resume. From the time of my last interview to my offer letter was about 2-3 days and I started 3-4 days after that.

Interview Questions

• My interviewers wanted to hear more stories and how I approached problems. It is a refreshing way to interview as they aren't just looking over your resume but actually interacting to see how you handle situations.   Answer Question