Avalara

Updated Nov 15, 2014
Updated Nov 15, 2014

2.9

Director PM Interview

The recruiter reached out and scheduled a meeting. She later cancelled two hours before we were scheduled to chat and suggested exactly one alternate time later the same day. I replied that time didn't work and never received a reply back. Only when I called her out for not replying and poorly representing the company did she reply back and request a reschedule. I'd never move forward with a company that exposes this type of person to senior prospects and I did not in this case.

Interview Questions
    • The only question asked was in reference to position interest and scheduling logistics.   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara.

Phone interview with HR, then manager, then in-person interview with the manager and a few team members. HR called to make offer and negotiate salary. I also requested informational interviews with team members and was able to speak with two. Everyone was very informative and welcoming .

Interview Questions
    • Pretty typical, I get the impression they're focused on whether you're a good fit for the team   Answer Question
    HR called to make the offer. I got the impression there isn't a very wide range of salaries for each position.

Customer Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Avalara in June 2014.

I went through a couple of rounds of interviews for 2 different roles. I was passed over for the first but reconnected with the recruiter and brought in for another set of interviews for a different role. The interview process is pretty standard with initial phone calls and 1-2 rounds of interviews at various locations. My interviewers focused on looking for attributes rather then just past "achievements". I really appreciated this as it shows they are looking for good people, rather then just someone who can throw out big numbers on their resume. From the time of my last interview to my offer letter was about 2-3 days and I started 3-4 days after that.

Interview Questions
    • My interviewers wanted to hear more stories and how I approached problems. It is a refreshing way to interview as they aren't just looking over your resume but actually interacting to see how you handle situations.   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avalara in April 2014.

After I applied to this position on Avalara's website, I reached out to a current employee in the legal department through LinkedIn to learn more about the company and the legal team. Some call it an informational interview, but I found it was better to just ask "what do you do," "how long have you done it," and "do you like it." I got some good insight, and when asked about my summer plans, I told him my back-up plans and said I was open to opportunities. He said he thought I would be a good fit in their legal team and told me he would arrange an interview.

The interview happened two days later with the senior contracts attorney. It was very informal as I wore my suit and the legal team wore casual clothes. I had a few legal questions, mostly practical, to see if I had any understanding of how contracts class plays out in practice. Finally, the attorney asked me "What were the names of Luke's aunt and uncle in Star Wars?" I thought about it, gave the right answer, and got her assent. She told me I still had to meet with the General Counsel.

I interviewed with the General Counsel the following week. She was very direct and wanted me to lay out all my cards. I told her about my fall job that I lined up and asked if she thought I should take it. She said yes, and then said I should work for her to get ready for that fall position. It was a great deal for my first law job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you ensure the indemnity provision would protect Avalara?   View Answer
    As a legal intern, we have little room to negotiate. I had no other offers for that time frame, so I accepted as is.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Avalara in February 2014.

Nine phone interviews and six onsite interviews over an eight-week period with zero follow-up from Avalara after the interviews, even after requesting some form of a final answer several times. Disappointed is an understatement. Other firms I have interviewed with at least had the courtesy to email a go/no-go decision.

Interview Questions
    • Paraphrased: "Provide detailed documentation of your implementation plans and methods that illustrate your ability to use the specific software we are using."   View Answer

Technical Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Avalara in February 2014.

First round consists of a phone screen with standard questions on previous experience, discussion on whether working on Bainbridge Island would be a problem and towards the end overview of salary zone.
    Also, this interaction was not as professional as I expected. I never heard from them again - no feedback on whether they had further interest of not. After a couple of months I obviously assumed they were not interested. But I expected better from a professional organization.

Interview Questions
    • No real difficult questions (common questions on query building, etc. Most telling part of the interview seemed to be the salary range concern. My salary is just average but they seemed concerned (this was a feeling based on how the question was approached) that I might be too high for their opening (although that was never specifically stated).   Answer Question

Customer Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara in January 2014.

Very professional recruiter and received timely responses. Interviews scheduled to work with my schedule

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions were as to be expected for the position.   Answer Question

N/A Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara in December 2013.

Standard interview process recruiter screen call and 3-4 rounds of interviews with hiring manager, team, etc. I would advise asking a lot about the company culture and managing style. Also, if you are interviewed by several people at once ask to get them separately so you can get a better feel for the individuals working there. It's easier to get effective answers in a 1:1 setting rather than group.

Interview Questions
    • Not any difficult questions per se but make sure to ask a lot about the culture of the organization outside of wearing orange.   Answer Question
    Always negotiate. Companies have a salary range for each position and if you don't negotiate you'll be on the low end.

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Avalara.

Was given recruiter info from a former colleague who had declined to interview due to commute length from where she lives. Recruiter got back to me right away after I reached out. Phone screen with recruiter was friendly and helpful and informative. Next step was phone screen with hiring manager, also very positive and enjoyable, very authentic communication. I had told everyone I was interviewing at Amazon that week, and they fast-tracked a full-day interview with several key folks, after first scheduling a coffee hour with a senior designer, I think to test fit. The full-day group interview process felt a lot like the one at Amazon in format and content. I presented my portfolio, fielded questions, did some problem-solving, and had a few one-on-ones. I received an offer very quickly (1 day? 2 days?), accepted quickly, and was at my desk ASAP after giving proper notice at my current position

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected; good, salient questions from knowledgeable and passionate people   Answer Question
    My stated salary theshold was met, and I did not negotiate further as the benefits were far superior to the company I was at at the time, and there was clear growth potential and solid corporate strategy.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara.

Very professional, the person who set it all up is no longer there. Panel interview. Some prepared questions but all done by individuals knowledgeable about taxes and the work I would have been doing. The questions asked showed that they had considered my application & understood what I had done before.