Avalara Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.1

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bainbridge Island, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Bainbridge Island, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by the HR director via LinkedIn and had a brief telephone interview with her. We set a time for me to come in to the office later that week. The interview took approximately four hours. I met with six people in groups of two. Interviewers were dressed very casually, but I got the impression that a suit was a good choice for me. The original schedule of who I was meeting with was completely changed around once I arrived, leading to some confusion about names and roles of my interviewers. I felt fairly positive about the interview and sent a thank you to my original contact. She replied that they would be opening up the position to other candidates, but would be keeping in touch with me. Two weeks later, I hadn't heard anything, so I thanked her for considering me. She again reiterated that she hadn't made a decision yet. Four weeks later, there has been no formal rejection or further contact.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was first interviewed on the phone with a Test lead, then invited for an on-site interview. It was a 5-hr interview with one person at a time. I was interviewed by a test lead, a dev lead, 2 devs, and a VP at the end. Everyone asked me about problem solving/coding/testing. The questions weren't really difficult or unexpected. They were all easy to talk to and friendly.

Interview Questions

• The coding questions were about strings, hash table, design,... If you reviewed the algorithms well, you'll do fine.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 phone interviews, 1 with recruiter and 1 with hiring manager. It was a solid hour of questions and conversation - not a walk in the park, but they weren't looking to find holes in my game either, just wanting to make sure that I was truly a good fit. 1 full day of in person interviews with nearly the whole team, including a phone call with a remote team member. Everyone asked specific questions related to their role and how this role would play into those. Again, questions were tough, poignant, and thought provoking but not intended to trip me up. I was asked for specific examples of applicable work I had done, as well as to shed light on how I would approach certain tasks/challenges.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very straight forward and simple, they came in slightly above what I asked for which I thought was completely fair based on my experience and industry standards. I went over this on the first call with the recruiter and never had to revisit it until I had my offer in hand.

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bainbridge Island, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Avalara (Bainbridge Island, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

After the standard phone interview I was asked to come in to the office and "meet the team." The process was more a tour of the office and meeting different members of the sales manager team. four or five sales managers would sit with me one at a time and we would have a back and forth conversation about myself, and my qualifications/ intentions. And myself asking them about their motivations and experiences with the company.

Interview Questions

• What of my past work experience would help me in the position.   Answer Question

Customer Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Bainbridge Island, WA) in June 2014.

Interview

I went through a couple of rounds of interviews for 2 different roles. I was passed over for the first but reconnected with the recruiter and brought in for another set of interviews for a different role. The interview process is pretty standard with initial phone calls and 1-2 rounds of interviews at various locations. My interviewers focused on looking for attributes rather then just past "achievements". I really appreciated this as it shows they are looking for good people, rather then just someone who can throw out big numbers on their resume. From the time of my last interview to my offer letter was about 2-3 days and I started 3-4 days after that.

Interview Questions

• My interviewers wanted to hear more stories and how I approached problems. It is a refreshing way to interview as they aren't just looking over your resume but actually interacting to see how you handle situations.   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

After I applied to this position on Avalara's website, I reached out to a current employee in the legal department through LinkedIn to learn more about the company and the legal team. Some call it an informational interview, but I found it was better to just ask "what do you do," "how long have you done it," and "do you like it." I got some good insight, and when asked about my summer plans, I told him my back-up plans and said I was open to opportunities. He said he thought I would be a good fit in their legal team and told me he would arrange an interview. The interview happened two days later with the senior contracts attorney. It was very informal as I wore my suit and the legal team wore casual clothes. I had a few legal questions, mostly practical, to see if I had any understanding of how contracts class plays out in practice. Finally, the attorney asked me "What were the names of Luke's aunt and uncle in Star Wars?" I thought about it, gave the right answer, and got her assent. She told me I still had to meet with the General Counsel. I interviewed with the General Counsel the following week. She was very direct and wanted me to lay out all my cards. I told her about my fall job that I lined up and asked if she thought I should take it. She said yes, and then said I should work for her to get ready for that fall position. It was a great deal for my first law job.

Interview Questions

• How would you ensure the indemnity provision would protect Avalara?   1 Answer

Negotiation

As a legal intern, we have little room to negotiate. I had no other offers for that time frame, so I accepted as is.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bainbridge Island, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Bainbridge Island, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Nine phone interviews and six onsite interviews over an eight-week period with zero follow-up from Avalara after the interviews, even after requesting some form of a final answer several times. Disappointed is an understatement. Other firms I have interviewed with at least had the courtesy to email a go/no-go decision.

Interview Questions

• Paraphrased: "Provide detailed documentation of your implementation plans and methods that illustrate your ability to use the specific software we are using."   1 Answer

Customer Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Bainbridge Island, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Very professional recruiter and received timely responses. Interviews scheduled to work with my schedule

Interview Questions

• All interview questions were as to be expected for the position.   Answer Question

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Avalara (Bainbridge Island, WA).

Interview

Was given recruiter info from a former colleague who had declined to interview due to commute length from where she lives. Recruiter got back to me right away after I reached out. Phone screen with recruiter was friendly and helpful and informative. Next step was phone screen with hiring manager, also very positive and enjoyable, very authentic communication. I had told everyone I was interviewing at Amazon that week, and they fast-tracked a full-day interview with several key folks, after first scheduling a coffee hour with a senior designer, I think to test fit. The full-day group interview process felt a lot like the one at Amazon in format and content. I presented my portfolio, fielded questions, did some problem-solving, and had a few one-on-ones. I received an offer very quickly (1 day? 2 days?), accepted quickly, and was at my desk ASAP after giving proper notice at my current position

Interview Questions

• Nothing was unexpected; good, salient questions from knowledgeable and passionate people   Answer Question

Negotiation

My stated salary theshold was met, and I did not negotiate further as the benefits were far superior to the company I was at at the time, and there was clear growth potential and solid corporate strategy.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Very professional, the person who set it all up is no longer there. Panel interview. Some prepared questions but all done by individuals knowledgeable about taxes and the work I would have been doing. The questions asked showed that they had considered my application & understood what I had done before.