Avalara

2.8

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Avalara in June 2014.

I went through a couple of rounds of interviews for 2 different roles. I was passed over for the first but reconnected with the recruiter and brought in for another set of interviews for a different role. The interview process is pretty standard with initial phone calls and 1-2 rounds of interviews at various locations. My interviewers focused on looking for attributes rather then just past "achievements". I really appreciated this as it shows they are looking for good people, rather then just someone who can throw out big numbers on their resume. From the time of my last interview to my offer letter was about 2-3 days and I started 3-4 days after that.

Interview Questions
    • My interviewers wanted to hear more stories and how I approached problems. It is a refreshing way to interview as they aren't just looking over your resume but actually interacting to see how you handle situations.   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avalara in April 2014.

After I applied to this position on Avalara's website, I reached out to a current employee in the legal department through LinkedIn to learn more about the company and the legal team. Some call it an informational interview, but I found it was better to just ask "what do you do," "how long have you done it," and "do you like it." I got some good insight, and when asked about my summer plans, I told him my back-up plans and said I was open to opportunities. He said he thought I would be a good fit in their legal team and told me he would arrange an interview.

The interview happened two days later with the senior contracts attorney. It was very informal as I wore my suit and the legal team wore casual clothes. I had a few legal questions, mostly practical, to see if I had any understanding of how contracts class plays out in practice. Finally, the attorney asked me "What were the names of Luke's aunt and uncle in Star Wars?" I thought about it, gave the right answer, and got her assent. She told me I still had to meet with the General Counsel.

I interviewed with the General Counsel the following week. She was very direct and wanted me to lay out all my cards. I told her about my fall job that I lined up and asked if she thought I should take it. She said yes, and then said I should work for her to get ready for that fall position. It was a great deal for my first law job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you ensure the indemnity provision would protect Avalara?   View Answer
    As a legal intern, we have little room to negotiate. I had no other offers for that time frame, so I accepted as is.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Avalara in February 2014.

Nine phone interviews and six onsite interviews over an eight-week period with zero follow-up from Avalara after the interviews, even after requesting some form of a final answer several times. Disappointed is an understatement. Other firms I have interviewed with at least had the courtesy to email a go/no-go decision.

Interview Questions
    • Paraphrased: "Provide detailed documentation of your implementation plans and methods that illustrate your ability to use the specific software we are using."   View Answer

Customer Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara in January 2014.

Very professional recruiter and received timely responses. Interviews scheduled to work with my schedule

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions were as to be expected for the position.   Answer Question

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Avalara.

Was given recruiter info from a former colleague who had declined to interview due to commute length from where she lives. Recruiter got back to me right away after I reached out. Phone screen with recruiter was friendly and helpful and informative. Next step was phone screen with hiring manager, also very positive and enjoyable, very authentic communication. I had told everyone I was interviewing at Amazon that week, and they fast-tracked a full-day interview with several key folks, after first scheduling a coffee hour with a senior designer, I think to test fit. The full-day group interview process felt a lot like the one at Amazon in format and content. I presented my portfolio, fielded questions, did some problem-solving, and had a few one-on-ones. I received an offer very quickly (1 day? 2 days?), accepted quickly, and was at my desk ASAP after giving proper notice at my current position

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected; good, salient questions from knowledgeable and passionate people   Answer Question
    My stated salary theshold was met, and I did not negotiate further as the benefits were far superior to the company I was at at the time, and there was clear growth potential and solid corporate strategy.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Avalara.

Very professional, the person who set it all up is no longer there. Panel interview. Some prepared questions but all done by individuals knowledgeable about taxes and the work I would have been doing. The questions asked showed that they had considered my application & understood what I had done before.

Director Human Resources & Talent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Avalara in September 2013.

Initial outreach, setup and process managed well. In person meetings ran smoothly and interviewers were professional. However, where they failed was with follow up. Unfortunately this is an area where many companies fail and Avalara is no exception. 21 days later and no contact. They need better process in this area.

Learning Content Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Avalara in July 2013.

The onboarding process was fairly quick. Some people have complained that things took a while, but I think they don't understand that this is an organization that's doing a lot of hiring right now. They have to time their onboarding process so that they train as many new employees at a time as possible. I had two scheduled interviews two weeks apart (one phone and one in-person interview with a series of individuals I would be working with), followed by a phone call to discuss their offer. I started a week and a half later.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were specifically tailored to the position, which was new at the company. Nothing really unexpected.   Answer Question

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Avalara in April 2013.

My experience was that I first interviewed with the company a year ago, and was not selected at that time. Interviewed with half a dozen department heads all professional but laid back very casual company.

Interview Questions
    • Don't focus trying to learn about sales tax, if you are looking expand you product knowledge check out the new Avalara help center at https://help.avalara.com/   Answer Question
    No advise on the negotiation phase, I accepted the offer, considering the full benefits, including travel incentives.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Avalara.

Overall pretty casual interview process. First a few phone interviews focused on my background and to ensure my background/skills aligned with the position's needs, then some panel interviews. The panel interviews were pretty easy. Just basics about my background and if I did X or Y types of tasks in the past. This was followed then by interviews with management, but 1 on 1 style.

After going through at least five interviews, I was told I'd hear back in a day or two. Never heard any word back. At least a cordial, "sorry, we went with someone else" email would have been more professional. The entire process was over three weeks long. While I understand that it's a small business, if they hope to attract and retain talent, they need to at least follow up one way or another.

This is one of several companies I was interviewing with and their lack of follow through was sincerely disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • We've done X before in this department. It was not effective. How would you do it differently?   Answer Question