Avalara

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Account Manager Interview

Customer Account Manager
Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Avalara in June 2014.

Interview Details – I went through a couple of rounds of interviews for 2 different roles. I was passed over for the first but reconnected with the recruiter and brought in for another set of interviews for a different role. The interview process is pretty standard with initial phone calls and 1-2 rounds of interviews at various locations. My interviewers focused on looking for attributes rather then just past "achievements". I really appreciated this as it shows they are looking for good people, rather then just someone who can throw out big numbers on their resume. From the time of my last interview to my offer letter was about 2-3 days and I started 3-4 days after that.

Interview Question – My interviewers wanted to hear more stories and how I approached problems. It is a refreshing way to interview as they aren't just looking over your resume but actually interacting to see how you handle situations.   Answer Question

Customer Account Manager Interview

Customer Account Manager
Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Avalara in January 2014.

Interview Details – Very professional recruiter and received timely responses. Interviews scheduled to work with my schedule

Interview Question – All interview questions were as to be expected for the position.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager
Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Avalara in February 2014.

Interview Details – Nine phone interviews and six onsite interviews over an eight-week period with zero follow-up from Avalara after the interviews, even after requesting some form of a final answer several times. Disappointed is an understatement. Other firms I have interviewed with at least had the courtesy to email a go/no-go decision.

Interview Question – Paraphrased: "Provide detailed documentation of your implementation plans and methods that illustrate your ability to use the specific software we are using."   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Interview

Sales
Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Avalara in October 2012.

Interview Details – Very quick - one informal meeting, another a bit more formal.

Negotiation Details – Since pay here is extremely low, I negotiated via phone for nearly 2 months. All told, they came up about $10K in base, same in commissions. They pay 20-35% lower than an equal position in Seattle.

User Experience Design Interview

User Experience Design
Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Avalara.

Interview Details – Was given recruiter info from a former colleague who had declined to interview due to commute length from where she lives. Recruiter got back to me right away after I reached out. Phone screen with recruiter was friendly and helpful and informative. Next step was phone screen with hiring manager, also very positive and enjoyable, very authentic communication. I had told everyone I was interviewing at Amazon that week, and they fast-tracked a full-day interview with several key folks, after first scheduling a coffee hour with a senior designer, I think to test fit. The full-day group interview process felt a lot like the one at Amazon in format and content. I presented my portfolio, fielded questions, did some problem-solving, and had a few one-on-ones. I received an offer very quickly (1 day? 2 days?), accepted quickly, and was at my desk ASAP after giving proper notice at my current position

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected; good, salient questions from knowledgeable and passionate people   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My stated salary theshold was met, and I did not negotiate further as the benefits were far superior to the company I was at at the time, and there was clear growth potential and solid corporate strategy.

Director Human Resources & Talent Interview

Director Human Resources & Talent
Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Avalara in September 2013.

Interview Details – Initial outreach, setup and process managed well. In person meetings ran smoothly and interviewers were professional. However, where they failed was with follow up. Unfortunately this is an area where many companies fail and Avalara is no exception. 21 days later and no contact. They need better process in this area.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Avalara.

Interview Details – Very professional, the person who set it all up is no longer there. Panel interview. Some prepared questions but all done by individuals knowledgeable about taxes and the work I would have been doing. The questions asked showed that they had considered my application & understood what I had done before.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Product Support Specialist Interview

Product Support Specialist
Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Avalara in April 2013.

Interview Details – My experience was that I first interviewed with the company a year ago, and was not selected at that time. Interviewed with half a dozen department heads all professional but laid back very casual company.

Interview Question – Don't focus trying to learn about sales tax, if you are looking expand you product knowledge check out the new Avalara help center at https://help.avalara.com/   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No advise on the negotiation phase, I accepted the offer, considering the full benefits, including travel incentives.

Learning Content Developer Interview

Learning Content Developer
Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Avalara in July 2013.

Interview Details – The onboarding process was fairly quick. Some people have complained that things took a while, but I think they don't understand that this is an organization that's doing a lot of hiring right now. They have to time their onboarding process so that they train as many new employees at a time as possible. I had two scheduled interviews two weeks apart (one phone and one in-person interview with a series of individuals I would be working with), followed by a phone call to discuss their offer. I started a week and a half later.

Interview Question – The questions were specifically tailored to the position, which was new at the company. Nothing really unexpected.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Bainbridge Island, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Avalara.

Interview Details – Overall pretty casual interview process. First a few phone interviews focused on my background and to ensure my background/skills aligned with the position's needs, then some panel interviews. The panel interviews were pretty easy. Just basics about my background and if I did X or Y types of tasks in the past. This was followed then by interviews with management, but 1 on 1 style.

After going through at least five interviews, I was told I'd hear back in a day or two. Never heard any word back. At least a cordial, "sorry, we went with someone else" email would have been more professional. The entire process was over three weeks long. While I understand that it's a small business, if they hope to attract and retain talent, they need to at least follow up one way or another.

This is one of several companies I was interviewing with and their lack of follow through was sincerely disappointing.

Interview Question – We've done X before in this department. It was not effective. How would you do it differently?   Answer Question

Worked for Avalara? Contribute to the Community!