Avanade

Relevance Date Difficulty

Solutions Developer Interview

Solutions Developer
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Avanade in September 2013.

Interview Details – Part 1: Phone interview with Avanade recruiter. They will ask some typical STAR questions as well as asking how your technical background is.
Part 2: Phone interview with someone in Avanade with the same position you are applying for. Make sure you have a lot of questions since you are conducting the interview, not them.
Part 3: Final interview at the Avanade office. You will be with a handful of other potential candidates as Avanade will be critiquing how well you do in groups. Activities will include talking to Avanade employees in the room (judging how you interact with clients) and a group presentation.

Interview Question – What piece of technology do you find the most innovative in the past decade?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no travel expense for moving.

Business Development Executive Interview

Business Development Executive
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Avanade in January 2010.

Interview Details – Sometimes managed by contract recruiting and at the time appeared unstructured and had a lack of process. This was surprising given the company is highly process driven. End to end it took quite a long time to get through all of the interviews required to earn the position. Suggest that candidates be sure they understand expectations in role and support structures that will help them meet requirements.

Interview Question – What are your greatest weaknesses   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Base salary was negotiable. Incentive compensation appeared to be standard plan although quotas may be negotiable.

Entry-Level Solution Developer Interview

Entry-Level Solution Developer
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Avanade in December 2013.

Interview Details – I contacted them through a friend who worked there. A lot of questions about my programming experience and projects, even though I did not have any projects.

Interview Question – Name a time where you had to convince somebody to change their viewpoint on something.   Answer Question

Solutions Developer Interview

Solutions Developer
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on university career website. phone interview was about a month later, they moved it back to accommodate my schedule. It was a rather long interview that covered technology in very general ways. They asked questions like what is the future of microsoft, what is biggest problem with cloud computing, etc. I didn't hear anything for a month then was requested for a final round at their Chicago office the next week. I went and it was a very professional, friendly outfit. It had a sterile, corporate feel but seemed like a decent place to work. They called me the next week and said I quite didn't have the level of development experience they needed. This might have been true, but they never really asked any programming or technical questions, so it seems a bit unfair. Overall positive experience though.

Interview Question – Explain cloud computing to a five year old   Answer Question

Business Analyst - Consultant Interview

Business Analyst - Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade.

Interview Details – I had three phone interviews the last being a skills assessment followed by a face to face with a Sr Director. The first two interviews were more behavioral and informative. The face to face was more about you would solve a problem. The Sr Director want to see how I problem solved

Interview Question – In the face to face the interviewee proposed a problem by drawing a diagram on the board and asked me to ask them about the product.   Answer Question

Group Manager/Solutions Architect Interview

Group Manager/Solutions Architect
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in February 2013.

Interview Details – I first received a call from what was obviously a call center. The caller talked up the opportunity, took my salary requirements (this is important). And then assured me I'd be interviewing for a position within the tolerances of my requirements.

What followed were three phone screens and an in person spread out over the following four weeks.

The first "Skills Level 1" was a technical interview, though not a terribly in-depth one. I assumed this was the smoke test. The usual fluff questions you expect for the most junior of assessments. "Whats the difference between a stringbuilder and a string?", "What are the four principles of Object Oriented Programming?". These questions should tell the observer more about the interviewer than the interviewee. But that's all I'll say about that.

"Skills Level 2" was a little about development methodology. We talked about Scrum and managing people and how I'd run projects in the past. Actually this interview was pretty decent. It reminded me of how I interview candidates so maybe I'm biased. But it wasn't a vocabulary test it was an actual assessment of applied knowledge. Kudos to this interviewer.

At this point I get a call from a woman in HR. She's clearly a cheerleader for Avanade. She dropped what were clearly corporate buzzwords as much as possible. She asked weird questions like "Have you found the people you've spoken with to be 'passionate' developers?"

She droned on about herself mostly. About how much she'd brought to Avanade and how great her performance as a recruiter had been and how much money she was making for Avanade etc. This is really where I started to get a metallic taste in my mouth about the whole experience.

"Skills Level 3" was a little more of the same. These were cultural fit questions. As with level 1 and level 2 the travel requirement was stressed. No new ground was really covered here.

Before the next interview I get a call from the cheerleader again. This time she's talking with almost cultish admiration about my next interviewer. She insists that I study his linked in profile, that I'll be blown away by the guy's amazing credentials etc. It was pretty creepy.

And finally the "in person" (Which was done via teleconference). This was more of the cultural fit. Basically it was designed to see how I handled conversational interaction. I talked with the VP of a division. Nice guy. Really. Easy to talk to no problems there.

Here's where the nonsense started.

I get a call from cheerleader. Only this time she's not chipper. She's affected a concerned voice. You see after this most recent interview they were planning the conference call where all my previous interviewers would discuss my leveling at Avanade and they were concerned that I'd level at a rank lower than the range I'd given four weeks ago. I'd played this game before. I told her I was firm. She didn't like it and implied that I probably wouldn't get an offer. I let her go.

A few hours later I got another call from cheerleader. Wouldn't you know it, they hadn't made a decision yet. But if I could just come a little lower on my range I'd probably get an offer. I indicated again that I was firm. That my salary expectations shouldn't have been a surprise to her, they've been the same for four weeks.

She then tried to play head games. Implying that I just wasn't ready to work for a company like Avanade. That I should be honored to take such a significant paycut to work there. That if I was serious about my career I'd see it was a great offer etc.

The offer finally came the next morning. And it was considerably lower than my lowest estimate. When I turned the offer down I was given a rather pithy and condescending reply once more suggesting that I just wasn't ready to play with the big boys.

Interview Question – What do you want to be doing in five years?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The offer was too low. But moreover there was a culture of hubris being communicated by the company. An attitude of "we're doing you all the favors."

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Avanade in January 2013.

Interview Details – A friend gave my resume to an Avanade recruiter and she contacted me within two weeks. I am a college hire so it helped that I had an academic portfolio and she also asked for transcripts. Had a phone interview and was then invited to the in person interview at the Chicago office with other candidates. This process took about 2 months as they really research their candidates' backgrounds before making an invitation to the face to face interview. There was an optional conference call before the 1-1 interview that prepared my interview group for what we were to expect from the interview. The interview process was in a relaxed, professional environment. I was among other collegiate candidates in a group of five and we waited (chit chatting) in a conference room as we took turns with an interviewer. There was also a non-technical team exercise which was enjoyable and a non-technical writing assignment. My 1-1 interview was more informational and a personality assessment and no technical questions were asked (perhaps because I had just graduated with no experience - this might be the same for all college hires) I was contacted 2/1 for a generous offer.

Interview Question – For college hires they pretty much just want to know about you and why you have a passion for technology   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was pleased with the initial offer (it was quite generous considering I was a recent grad with no experience)

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Avanade in May 2008.

Interview Details – Was initially contacted by a recruiter. Once vetted I was sent to phone interviews from MS and Accenture employees. In person interview with hiring manager.

Interview Question – Provide a detailed design for a multinational exchange implementation and support.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade.

Interview Details – I had two technical interviews in chicago and both very professional.

Interview Question – The questions were very common I don't say it was difficult unless you not prepared.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary

.NET Developer Interview

.NET Developer
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in May 2012.

Interview Details – The first phone interview was very basic and designed to just make sure you can have a conversation. They must have a lot of candidates to filter through because this interview was very short. The second interview was a technical interview. It lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of questions about C#, SQL, and .NET. The questions were not very in depth and were to prove I am a programmer without going into what level I am at.

Interview Question – What is a hash table?   View Answer

Worked for Avanade? Contribute to the Community!