Avanade

2.9

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Entry-Level Solution Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Avanade in December 2013.

I contacted them through a friend who worked there. A lot of questions about my programming experience and projects, even though I did not have any projects.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you had to convince somebody to change their viewpoint on something.   Answer Question

Solutions Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Avanade in September 2013.

Part 1: Phone interview with Avanade recruiter. They will ask some typical STAR questions as well as asking how your technical background is.
    Part 2: Phone interview with someone in Avanade with the same position you are applying for. Make sure you have a lot of questions since you are conducting the interview, not them.
    Part 3: Final interview at the Avanade office. You will be with a handful of other potential candidates as Avanade will be critiquing how well you do in groups. Activities will include talking to Avanade employees in the room (judging how you interact with clients) and a group presentation.

Interview Questions
    • What piece of technology do you find the most innovative in the past decade?   View Answer
    There is no travel expense for moving.

Business Analyst - Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avanade.

I had three phone interviews the last being a skills assessment followed by a face to face with a Sr Director. The first two interviews were more behavioral and informative. The face to face was more about you would solve a problem. The Sr Director want to see how I problem solved

Interview Questions
    • In the face to face the interviewee proposed a problem by drawing a diagram on the board and asked me to ask them about the product.   Answer Question

Group Manager/Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Avanade in February 2013.

I first received a call from what was obviously a call center. The caller talked up the opportunity, took my salary requirements (this is important). And then assured me I'd be interviewing for a position within the tolerances of my requirements.

What followed were three phone screens and an in person spread out over the following four weeks.

The first "Skills Level 1" was a technical interview, though not a terribly in-depth one. I assumed this was the smoke test. The usual fluff questions you expect for the most junior of assessments. "Whats the difference between a stringbuilder and a string?", "What are the four principles of Object Oriented Programming?". These questions should tell the observer more about the interviewer than the interviewee. But that's all I'll say about that.

"Skills Level 2" was a little about development methodology. We talked about Scrum and managing people and how I'd run projects in the past. Actually this interview was pretty decent. It reminded me of how I interview candidates so maybe I'm biased. But it wasn't a vocabulary test it was an actual assessment of applied knowledge. Kudos to this interviewer.

At this point I get a call from a woman in HR. She's clearly a cheerleader for Avanade. She dropped what were clearly corporate buzzwords as much as possible. She asked weird questions like "Have you found the people you've spoken with to be 'passionate' developers?"

She droned on about herself mostly. About how much she'd brought to Avanade and how great her performance as a recruiter had been and how much money she was making for Avanade etc. This is really where I started to get a metallic taste in my mouth about the whole experience.

"Skills Level 3" was a little more of the same. These were cultural fit questions. As with level 1 and level 2 the travel requirement was stressed. No new ground was really covered here.

Before the next interview I get a call from the cheerleader again. This time she's talking with almost cultish admiration about my next interviewer. She insists that I study his linked in profile, that I'll be blown away by the guy's amazing credentials etc. It was pretty creepy.

And finally the "in person" (Which was done via teleconference). This was more of the cultural fit. Basically it was designed to see how I handled conversational interaction. I talked with the VP of a division. Nice guy. Really. Easy to talk to no problems there.

Here's where the nonsense started.

I get a call from cheerleader. Only this time she's not chipper. She's affected a concerned voice. You see after this most recent interview they were planning the conference call where all my previous interviewers would discuss my leveling at Avanade and they were concerned that I'd level at a rank lower than the range I'd given four weeks ago. I'd played this game before. I told her I was firm. She didn't like it and implied that I probably wouldn't get an offer. I let her go.

A few hours later I got another call from cheerleader. Wouldn't you know it, they hadn't made a decision yet. But if I could just come a little lower on my range I'd probably get an offer. I indicated again that I was firm. That my salary expectations shouldn't have been a surprise to her, they've been the same for four weeks.

She then tried to play head games. Implying that I just wasn't ready to work for a company like Avanade. That I should be honored to take such a significant paycut to work there. That if I was serious about my career I'd see it was a great offer etc.

The offer finally came the next morning. And it was considerably lower than my lowest estimate. When I turned the offer down I was given a rather pithy and condescending reply once more suggesting that I just wasn't ready to play with the big boys.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to be doing in five years?   View Answer

The offer was too low. But moreover there was a culture of hubris being communicated by the company. An attitude of "we're doing you all the favors."

Solutions Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Avanade in February 2013.

Applied on university career website. phone interview was about a month later, they moved it back to accommodate my schedule. It was a rather long interview that covered technology in very general ways. They asked questions like what is the future of microsoft, what is biggest problem with cloud computing, etc. I didn't hear anything for a month then was requested for a final round at their Chicago office the next week. I went and it was a very professional, friendly outfit. It had a sterile, corporate feel but seemed like a decent place to work. They called me the next week and said I quite didn't have the level of development experience they needed. This might have been true, but they never really asked any programming or technical questions, so it seems a bit unfair. Overall positive experience though.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Avanade in January 2013.

A friend gave my resume to an Avanade recruiter and she contacted me within two weeks. I am a college hire so it helped that I had an academic portfolio and she also asked for transcripts. Had a phone interview and was then invited to the in person interview at the Chicago office with other candidates. This process took about 2 months as they really research their candidates' backgrounds before making an invitation to the face to face interview. There was an optional conference call before the 1-1 interview that prepared my interview group for what we were to expect from the interview. The interview process was in a relaxed, professional environment. I was among other collegiate candidates in a group of five and we waited (chit chatting) in a conference room as we took turns with an interviewer. There was also a non-technical team exercise which was enjoyable and a non-technical writing assignment. My 1-1 interview was more informational and a personality assessment and no technical questions were asked (perhaps because I had just graduated with no experience - this might be the same for all college hires) I was contacted 2/1 for a generous offer.

Interview Questions
    • For college hires they pretty much just want to know about you and why you have a passion for technology   Answer Question
    I was pleased with the initial offer (it was quite generous considering I was a recent grad with no experience)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Avanade.

I had two technical interviews in chicago and both very professional.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very common I don't say it was difficult unless you not prepared.   Answer Question

Salary

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avanade in May 2012.

The first phone interview was very basic and designed to just make sure you can have a conversation. They must have a lot of candidates to filter through because this interview was very short. The second interview was a technical interview. It lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of questions about C#, SQL, and .NET. The questions were not very in depth and were to prove I am a programmer without going into what level I am at.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Avanade in February 2012.

I first applied to Avanade via online resume drop (aka a black hole with most employers). I was lucky because some corporate recruiter thought that I was somehow connected in the IT industry, so he got in touch in November 2011 asking me if I knew anyone who might be interested in a job with Avanade. I told him I didn't and explained my situation (a couple years out of college, but still looking for my first full-time job). He immediately referred me to a recruiter (Lisa), with whom I dealt for the rest of my recruiting process.

I first set up a phone interview/screening with Lisa, and after a couple reschedulings, we had it and she was impressed so she moved me on. At that point we discussed which service line I'd like to be a part of, and we decided on CRM. She then arranged a technical phone interview with a director in the CRM service line, which I finally had after a couple reschedulings as well. This interview did not end up being technical at all,l but this guy was impressed with me, and told Lisa so. (Each time I spoke with Lisa after an interview, she always liked to ask how I thought the interview went before telling me the feedback; maybe she only does this when feedback is positive.) In December, Lisa talked to me about setting up an in-person interview with a director, but I was travelling, and then the interviewer's schedule changed, so that never happened. In January, Lisa got in touch and told me that CRM no longer had any open positions, but they were interested in moving me along with another service line. We discussed, and agreed on BI. She then set up another technical interview with a director. When I actually had the call, it ended up not being with the person I expected, but no big deal. This interview was, indeed, a bit technical, but nothing crazy. He just asked me questions about how I would deal with different situations that a BA might encounter. He moved me along, and Lisa asked me to come into the Chicago office for a final round interview on a Friday.

On the interview day, I realized that I was interviewing for a recent-grad program, but no big deal. I was with about 10 other candidates. They put us in a conference room with some breakfast and some current Avanade employees (somewhat recent hires). Then they gave us a presentation, and then we had about 4 hours in which each person had two half-hour interviews, and the rest was down time to talk to the current employees, and also work on a low-pressure writing assignment (something like "why is Avanade a good fit for your career"). Then we had lunch and an HR presentation. This was followed by a low-key group activity in which they observed how we worked. I won't tell you what exactly the activity was, but it was pretty fun, and not hard.

By that time, I had received a competing offer from another company, and I told my recruiter about it. She must have really hurried the decision process because by the following Wednesday, I had an offer. She asked for my answer by the next day. I asked for the weekend, but the most she could give me was Friday (because of an upcoming start-date and the paperwork that had to be processed in time). It was a hard decision process, and Avanade was extremely appealing, but I decided to decline the offer and the accept the competing offer. I will definitely keep Avanade in mind as my career progresses. Lisa (my recruiter) was extremely professional and very nice, and gave me an overall great experience with the company.

Interview Questions
    • You're a Business Analyst, and you're dealing with two customers who give you some data. They use the same algorithms or decision processes, but the end results that they give you are different. How do you deal with this, and figure out what's going on?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had a time where you had to convince people to adopt technology? How did you do it?   Answer Question

I had an offer from another company, and, while the position offered less learning and growth opportunity than the position with Avanade, I chose it because it also offered much better work/life balance (eg. no travel, decent and flexible hours, etc.) and pay was comparable. It was a very difficult decision though. If anyone is ever faced with the decision between two jobs, just remember that there's no wrong choice.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avanade in February 2012.

First, a recruiter contacted me and explained what the company does and what they were looking for. Second, there was a technical phone screen for an hour about past experience.
    Third, again a phone interview with higher level covering different topics.
    Finally, face to face interview for an hour.