Avanade

Updated Nov 24, 2014

3.1

Senior Analyst, Collaboration Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Avanade.

4 interviews. 3 Phone interviews and 1 in-person Peer interview
    There was a long period of time between interviews mostly due to the Ops Manager being out of the country and it being during the holidays. this appears to be a one off situation as many have come on-board since me with their process only taking a couple weeks.
    The Peer review was slightly intimidating but very impressive with their ability to walk through scenarios and cater the interview towards the strong points in my resume.

Interview Questions
    • PowerShell Commands by Memory were tough to recall on the spot   View Answer
    Always negotiate and ask for your Ideal wage.

Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Avanade.

Recruiter phone screen followed by Technical phone screen followed by in person interview. All questions were technical related to MS technologies.

Interview Questions
    • there were no unexpected questions. all were expected and pure technical.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Avanade.

Telephone interview, followed by a technical test and a technical interview. You will then do a competence interview.. I only did one telephone interview followed by competence .But, expect to be grilled well for that interview. No room for mistakes. Remember these guys are the top in the industry and know exactly what they want and don't want. All in all i think what they want to know is who you are and if they can mould you to go out there and sell the company in a positive way.Took Interview on Tuesday and got an offer on Friday.

Interview Questions
    • None really difficult. If you know your technology area well then they are mostly trick questions.   Answer Question
    Was offered the higher part of the advertised range.

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avanade.

One of the BEST INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE, I have never seen such an extraordinary hiring system throughout my whole career. I was made aware of each and every single little status updates regarding my application. The HR team is fabulous, they know how to talk, so kind, they really try their best to understand you, they consider you a part of team rather then just another interview candidate, they make you feel you are the part of the team.

You would be amazed to see how updated you are regarding the status of your application and what is going on. The HR team replied to my emails within few minutes (every time I emailed them), I never had to follow-up with them.

Initial Communication:

I got a call from Avanade's HR regarding job opening and I was really happy because I heard that this is one of the best companies to work for.

HR asked me if I knew about Avanade, I told them whatever I knew, they explained me in much details about what Avanade is all about. Good to know about the company you will be applying for.

Planning:

They explained me about the job role, asked me couple of basic technical questions and if I was ready to travel since this is a consulting company.

They said they will start the interview process and I will get information about it.

# of interviews:

First - Telephonic Interview

Purely technical interview, they started with basic questions and then went to the intermediate as well as advance level questions, the interviewer were really nice and asked the questions which would make sense. Even If I couldn't answer some questions, they understood why as one won't know everything but can learn.

Second - Telephonic Interview

Advance level of technical questions as well as questions regarding your skills. They gave me scenarios and asked what would be my approach.

Third - Face to Face Interview

More of a managerial round where they asked me about myself and my goals, aspirations, etc. More of they were trying to see if I would be good fit into the company.

Fourth - Final Offer

Yay!! :)

Interview Questions
    • None I would say, I was really happy to see that they asked me questions which would really make sense instead of asking some questions like others do which makes no sense.   View Answer
    This is the part I didn't like and I was un-happy about. Since this is the company who is known for good company to work for, I didn't expected negotiation phase with them.

Basically they wanted to negotiate with me on salary wherein I am not so much of negotiation person, I would like straight answers.

They offered me really less which didn't make any sense to me, then I said my expectation and we agreed upon the middle number ;)

Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avanade in March 2014.

First it was explained to me that there would be three interviews. 2 over the phone and 1 face to face, but I had 2 more face to face for a total of 5 interviews, before getting an offer. Total process took just over 4 weeks, but the story changed from the first call to the final call.

Interview Questions

During the first call with HR, salary was discussed at 190-210K, however, the offer was processed by another HR personnel who knew no history of my interviews. Offer came in at 100-125K. Ended up wasting 10 hours of interview and travel time during the 4 week interviewing process. Which could have been avoided, if Avanade did not try to make a low ball offer after the interview process. Beware of the bait and switch tactic by Avanade HR department.

Director - Regional Collaboration Service Line Lead - Senior SharePoint Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Avanade in March 2014.

I responded to a post online. The next day I received an email from a recruiter to set up a phone call with me. Had an interview with a person they called an intake recruiter. Who talked about the company and the benefits they offer. They also sent me an email with the job description along with a PowerPoint presentation. The job description seemed very vague, with what amounted to three different jobs wrapped into one job description. Pretty confusing to read through and understand.

There was then another interview with a technical recruiter this time. This interview was to see where they thought I would fit into the organization. My first red flag. I am not used to a process where the company tells me the position I am interviewing for. Spoke with this recruiter for about a half-hour. Went well and they were very nice and informative.

Received a follow up email on a Monday, from a coordinator to set up the two technical interviews. I sent them my availability for the week. I did not hear back until around 2am on Friday wanting me to do a phone interview at 4:30pm that day. I emailed them back to say that since I had not heard from them all week my schedule had changed and that I would not be able to interview with at that time. I did not receive a response. Promptly at 4:30pm, I did receive phone call from the person I was to interview with. As I was busy, I did not pick up. About 15 minutes later, I received a call from the coordinator person following up. I told them that I responded back to their 2am email that I was not available. They rearranged a call for 5:30pm.

Spoke with the first technical interview person. It went very well. During the course of the 90-minute call, I sensed that Avanade is a travel heavy company. Which rather played back to the lack of Work/Life balance reviews of the company I read about here on Glassdoor.

Received a follow up email the next week letting me know that the first level technical interview went well and they wanted to set up the second interview. Again sent my availability and received a confirmation of the interview within 2 hours.

Had the second interview, it went well. I was able to ask more questions to get a feel for the position. The person was very nice and informative. Again, received the "travel heavy no work/life balance" vibe from them. They did not outright say it but in my questioning to them, they referred to having a large geographic region to work as well as being on the road from Monday to Thursday. I also asked them about specifics to the job description. They told me that Avanade typically will get the responses from the interviews and then decide which position someone fits in with. Again, the red flag went up in my head.

Received a follow up email from the coordinating person that the feedback from the second technical interview was very positive. In addition, that they wanted to set up another phone interview. I wrote back asking what position was I being considered for. Received a response that there was some confusion and that they wanted to schedule me for a face-to-face interview with a Regional Lead instead. In response to my question of what position I was being considered for they wrote “a senior role”.

With the answer on the role seeming vague, I did not elect to schedule the face to face until I could nail down the exact position. I reached out to the technical recruiter (they seem to be the one driving the whole process) to gain clarification on the role that I was being considered for. I wrote to them twice with no response. I then wrote to the intake recruiter and the coordinating person see if they could get a hold of the technical recruiter for me so I can speak with her about the role. Finally, the technical recruiter tried to call me twice but I could not answer the phone, as I was busy on other calls. They did email me and wrote that I was being considered for a “manager to group manager level role”.

I had done extensive research into the organization and they seemed to have many titles, which is a red flag for me. From my experience, this simply means that people do the same things just some have fancier titles than others do; however, there is no real management duties associated with the title with the exception of yourself (maybe).

As I was still a little disappointed with the vagueness of the position, I was being considered for and it was totally out of the range of what I wanted. I am a senior person; who has specific career objectives so based on my research, the reviews on Glassdoor, the travel component, lack of work/life balance and the process I had gone through to that point I elected to forego continuing through the process. Choosing to concentrate on other opportunities instead.

Interview Questions
    • How would you feel if you could not continue presenting at conferences or writing another book because of you work commitments here?   View Answer

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avanade.

I was first contacted by the HR to check on my interest for the position as already more than 2 months had passed since I had applied. After agreeing to that, I went thru 2 rounds of technical interviews w/ 2 different group managers who grilled me quite a bit. I can say that I did extremely well on the first round, and somewhat okay on the second. Their need was immediate hence I was contacted by the HR the next day to come in person to their office for the last and final stretch w/ the SVP. This session was not as demanding as I expected, and the SVP laid out the career path for this position within the company as that was one of my questions to him.

Interview Questions
    • What are the unique skills that I can bring to the role that can separate me from everybody else?   View Answer
    There was a difficult situation on vacation and I did not get what I was asking for because there was another HR person in between who showed no interest and declined to even discuss. I still accepted the offer since I liked the company and the role.

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Avanade in February 2014.

There were 3 interviews, 2 by phone and 1 in person

First point of contact will be a recruiter who will ask the standard interview questions. (Why do you want to work here? Leadership roles? How to resolve conflicts with team members?)

Secondly, individuals get to speak to an existing employee, based on whose feedback, the final interview is arranged. This is really an interview you lead and ask questions for so come prepared.

Finally, the final interview is a day-long group session with every individual getting to interview with a senior official at the company. Throughout the day you can get a chance to network with current employees, there is a writing assignment (what are your core values), and then a relaxed group activity which was something like if you were stranded on the moon, what items would you choose as important to survive. Your group then presents in front of everyone..

The interview wasn't bad but I felt they were very unprofessional on following up with me in terms of letting me know I wasn't the candidate they wanted. The "role" was changed from the job posting so they were looking for someone else. Had I not followed up with them, I'm sure I still would be waiting for a rejection so that was the worst part of the whole experience for me. Seems like a great company too, what a disappointment.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for technical questions, even if you are applying for an entry level position.   Answer Question

Avande Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Avanade in February 2014.

Interview was for a hour, they asked about my background, my experience, how long I had been in the payroll field.

Interview Questions
    • How would I handle doing Union payroll?   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avanade in February 2014.

Received an email about setting up a phone interview about 1-2 weeks after applying online. The phone interview was just a chance for them to know you so it was the basic interview questions like tell us about yourself. She asked about what you know about Avanade. She also gave you information about the position that you applied for.