Avanade

Very Difficult Interview

Systems Engineer/Analyst Interview

Systems Engineer/Analyst
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Avanade in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process started with a screening process which basically asked about my general background and stressed that the job would entail 80% travel or more on average.

The second interview was a technical interview ranging across all aspects of Microsoft Server tech, IP, DNS, etc. The test was difficult, and I didn't expect to get offered another interview afterwards. I later found out that it becomes progressively harder based on how you answer to truly gauge your technical level.

Finally, I was invited to a day long office interview. There were many other candidates there. You are expected to dress for success. You have to write an essay throughout the day in-between other activities, you have to perform a group exercise that later turns into a competition between the various small groups, and at the end each group is asked to have one teammate present their findings, giving a few people the chance to stand before the entire interviewing crowd and hiring staff and talk publicly.

Interview Question – The hardest questions were related to specifics in Active Directory and DNS. There are also conceptual questions like, "How would you describe a database to your grandmother?" or "How would you describe the internet to a three year old?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I started the job as a campus hire. The offer included a decent base salary for someone with little to no experience in this industry, two weeks of intensive training in Seattle (all inclusive and paid for by Avanade) and a gadget/life balance expense fund which increases substantially after your first promotion.

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in June 2012.

Interview Details – It was a 3 step interview process. A phone call to let you know what's coming. Then a 30 minute phone interview, followed by an in-person interview.

Interview Question – Can't say I had any difficult questions. All the questions were pretty standard for the indusrty.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They threw out a deal, I accepted. Easy.

Manager Interview

Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade in February 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter and met with HR, Finance and a Program lead. Took a few weeks to get all of the interviews scheduled and completed.

Interview Question – I felt that I really had to sell myself and that the interviewers hadn't read my resume or really understood how my past roles fit with the one I was interviewing for. I would have thought they would have done more homework or the recruiter would have passed on notes so I didn't have to keep repeating myself. If I didn't really want this role, I would have withdrawn early in the process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were not willing or open to negotiate. I would suggest candidates request additional vacation time or get confirmation on training expectations.

SharePoint Consultant Interview

SharePoint Consultant
Hartford, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade in November 2011.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. Had a couple telephone conversations with the recruiter and then was passed on for 2 more phone interviews. The first was a technical interview to make sure you knew the material. The second was a more cultural and conversational interview about where you wanted to go in the future.

Interview Question – A lot of general technical questions that they read from a list and the person may not even know the answer themselves. Questions like: What are the 3 pillars of Object Orientated Programming.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hard to negotiate anything from what they offered.

Very Difficult Interview

Consultant Interview

Consultant
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Avanade in December 2011.

Interview Details – There were 2 interviews I had to go through.
Even though I was not selected 6 months ago,
they selected me after 2 interviews.

I was selected for the training program 6 months ago,
but then, I received a call that the quota had been reached.
Hence, I had to wait 6 more months, and I had to call the
recruiter once again in December and repeat the interview process!

Interview Question – What is the most difficult situation you have been with a client?   Answer Question

Senior Systems Analyst/Solution Developer Interview

Senior Systems Analyst/Solution Developer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in October 2012.

Interview Details – There are many Sr. System Analyst utilizing various technologies, the one I went for is a Microsft.NET role

***Make sure what you have on your resume is TRUE and Correct, they use a background check service that really CHECKS! Your degrees, the length of each employment, where you've worked, etc. Make sure your resume is telling the truth***

Four stage interview process
(1 HR, 1 Technical Phone, 1 Technical Phone w. Coding on the spot, 1 In-Person)
=================================================
1 - HR called and asked basic question such as "What is CLR?"

2 - Intense technical interview, some of the questions are really in-depth question that really tested on the understanding from basic to advanced C#, Asp.net, JavaScript, to SQL, to Protocols, to Design Pattern, to IIS, to Load Balancer, to Inner Working mechanisms of CLR.

They are not "What is this? What is that?" type of question that ask you the definition of each, the interviewer gave many scenarios.
"If this happens, what would you do?",
"Why use this method (or design pattern) in opposed to others?";
"If Blah-Blah-Blah breaks, how you go by pinpointing the problem and fixing it?";
"If this (whatever it was I forgot) is not available, what alternative tech/method you choose to use to do what you need and why"

TOTAL TIME: This interview lasted 45-60 minutes
------------------------------------------------------------------
3 - Technical Review that used Microsft Lync (latest live meeting type of software)
This inteview has further in-depth tech question that really tested on some design pattern knowledge and understandings of software development methodalogies.

Some computer science, Big-O, Big-Theta, Big-Omega questions, search, sort algorithm questions, etc.
(Lucky that my college research was focused in Algorithms and in solving non-polynomial problems that I needed to determine these all the time, if I get tested on some you-will-never-use CS stuff, I sure would flung it)

After the technicals, they tested my People (Soft) Skills, team management, people management skills, for example.
"If your team member has disagreements, or fights, what would you do?"
"If your team member does not follow your instructions, what would you do?"

Total time so far: 25 minutes into interview.

Finally, coding on the spot using the "Whiteboard" feature of Microsoft Lync; the interviewer has many coding questions to select from, the ones I got are:

Q1 - Write a method that takes 2 parameters (lower, upper bound) that returns all Primes between these 2 ranges.

Q2 - Write a method that takes an unsorted list of integers, return the integer that has the highest number of occurences.

As you type in the whiteboard (live meeting) window, The interview can see every key stroke you type, but you are allowed to ask the interview nicely that you need a couple of mins to sketch something on paper before typing (which I did).

The interviewer said that usually they give 3 coding questions, but he's good with 2.
Time spent on coding: 10 minutes.

TOTAL TIME: This interview lasted 35 minutes.
------------------------------------------------------------------
4 - In Person with the hiring manager.
Only 1 tech question. "In what scenario that using using LINQ is not a good idea?"

My response was LINQ is great, quick and easy to access, query, retrieve data, however, the weakness comes in when you need to insert or save something into database.

Via LINQ, first there are more lines of coding, then writing a stored proc that does Insert/Update, second, in a multi-thread environment like the web server, like multi-thread application. Commands are not passed over to the database until you call Submit in C#/VB code, concurrency issues, etc. etc.

And eventually the insert/update responsbilities are on SQL server anyway, why not directly write a stored proc for insert/update and call it as a method in C#/VB.

He nodded his head with a smile, but I dont know if my opinion is what hes looking for =D

After that, no more tech questions, he asked me questions on design pattern, pros and cons on a couple of methodologies and more People skill questions.
EX: "if a customer got angry and started screaming/firing at you, how would you handle that?"

Then the remainder of the interview is him explaining ATS (Avanade Technology Solutions), job duties, etc.

TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour

Interview Question – Database Partitioning, Splitting. My SQL is my weakest, so I just be honest that "I don't know the answer and I do not want to guess"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was exceptional, base pay + bonuses and vacation package (that I negotiated) were great and very attractive.

However, I was told that the NY based ATS (Avanade Technology Solutions) is a non-traveling sector of Avanade, which is famous for traveling 70%+ of the time for many consultants, I was like "great, no travel" because of family reason.

But then I found out (after all the rigurious background checks and references) that Avanade's definition of "traveling" is traveling out-of-state, my role will be working off a client-site. Although it is local travel within Manhattan (because they have so many projects in NY that they dont need to send ATS people out) but I dont like the idea of working off the client site and I dont have a location that I go to everyday and call it the "office".

This is the reason I turned down the offer.

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade in October 2008.

Interview Details – Recruiter called me from a monster posting. Quick 30 minutes on the phone with the recruiter. They told me up front 80% or more travel. About a week later I had my second interview. This was also on the phone, this time with a technical person, he asked some questions based on my resume, told me about the company and gave me a good idea what to expect. About two weeks after that I had my in person round. This next interview was also technical, but was much harder, I was asked about projects and systems i'd designed and asked why i designed them in that way. Next interview, the same day, was also in person, this time with a director level. This interview was about soft skills. Had i ever been a consultant, what would i do in various difficult customer situations. After this I went home and waited. About a week later I got a call with an offer. We went back and forth a bit, and then agreed on something

Interview Question – Faced with a customer who is having a bad day and in general isn't happy with the way the project is going, but has no logical reason for it, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated for a small signing bonus. I was not able to negotiate for more salary. The salary offered was already very competitive.

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Avanade in May 2008.

Interview Details – Was initially contacted by a recruiter. Once vetted I was sent to phone interviews from MS and Accenture employees. In person interview with hiring manager.

Interview Question – Provide a detailed design for a multinational exchange implementation and support.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade.

Interview Details – I had two technical interviews in chicago and both very professional.

Interview Question – The questions were very common I don't say it was difficult unless you not prepared.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Avanade in August 2012.

Interview Details – The first interview is with an HR recruiter who asks about your experience and asks a few straight-forward .NET questions. The second interview was with a .NET Architect and is very in-depth. I recommend studying up on your .NET trivia.

Interview Question – I can't think of a specific "difficult" question, but I know that I was tripped up a bit with the depth of the SQL Server questions. Study up on more than just queries, joins, etc. Understand performance tuning concepts and how they are implemented.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered pretty much the same as I was making at my current position. I had a few other offers so even though Avanade offers a lot of learning/growth potential it didn't make sense to take their offer.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Avanade