Avanade Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015

3.1

Solutions Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Avanade in February 2013.

Applied on university career website. phone interview was about a month later, they moved it back to accommodate my schedule. It was a rather long interview that covered technology in very general ways. They asked questions like what is the future of microsoft, what is biggest problem with cloud computing, etc. I didn't hear anything for a month then was requested for a final round at their Chicago office the next week. I went and it was a very professional, friendly outfit. It had a sterile, corporate feel but seemed like a decent place to work. They called me the next week and said I quite didn't have the level of development experience they needed. This might have been true, but they never really asked any programming or technical questions, so it seems a bit unfair. Overall positive experience though.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Avanade in January 2013.

A friend gave my resume to an Avanade recruiter and she contacted me within two weeks. I am a college hire so it helped that I had an academic portfolio and she also asked for transcripts. Had a phone interview and was then invited to the in person interview at the Chicago office with other candidates. This process took about 2 months as they really research their candidates' backgrounds before making an invitation to the face to face interview. There was an optional conference call before the 1-1 interview that prepared my interview group for what we were to expect from the interview. The interview process was in a relaxed, professional environment. I was among other collegiate candidates in a group of five and we waited (chit chatting) in a conference room as we took turns with an interviewer. There was also a non-technical team exercise which was enjoyable and a non-technical writing assignment. My 1-1 interview was more informational and a personality assessment and no technical questions were asked (perhaps because I had just graduated with no experience - this might be the same for all college hires) I was contacted 2/1 for a generous offer.

Interview Questions
    • For college hires they pretty much just want to know about you and why you have a passion for technology   Answer Question
    I was pleased with the initial offer (it was quite generous considering I was a recent grad with no experience)

Global Learning and Development Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Avanade in January 2013.

Everyone was friendly and prompt with responses and updates, contacted by recruiter for a phone screen, filled out a phone screen form and then spoke with recruiter, I was pushed forward and set up with another HR coordinator who managed appointments for the rest of the phone interviews. I had 4 phone interviews for 2 positions but bombed last interview and didn't move into the final interview

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Avanade in December 2012.

Generally pleasant experience with the first interview consisting primarily of general background and experience information. General questions pertaining to scheduling, leveling resources and the ability to travel up to 80% were covered with excellent feedback in the end.

The second interview similarly en-capsuled the first's general path; with more in-depth discussions about project philosophy and examples of how risk was managed and mitigated in a particular instance. Earned value management expertise was covered and intimated that it was required. The recruiter came back letting me know that she received EXCELLENT feedback from the second director level interviewer.

The third interview was in person (just before the holiday) where I spoke with another director about the delivery practice. Questions about technology in general along with project and concepts of earned value were covered. Also asked about ITIL and what it means. Having a technical engineering background was seen as a positive. It was intimated that there would be a recommend to hire.

After the holidays I was informed that I would have to have a fourth discussion with the overall director. My initial thoughts were that it was a conversation to discuss an offer but instead turned into questions regarding by background and concerns about my "hybrid" classification being a potential concern. There was even a question of whether I would be "comfortable" in the environment which left me a bit puzzled but was taken in stride.

Interview Questions
    • Do you feel that you would be "comfortable" here?   View Answer
    • Tell me what you think ITIL is?   View Answer
    • Tell me about your experience with Earned Value   View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Avanade in December 2012.

My interview process was 3 rounds two phone interviews, and one face to face meeting. I was interview in a group fashion with a few others all of whom were there for separate potential jobs. They were testing our group think and compatibility not so much the individual skillset.

Interview Questions
    • If you were stranded on the moon with these 15 objects what would you do?   View Answer
    Minimal negotiation on the companies side.

Senior Systems Analyst/Solution Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Avanade in October 2012.

There are many Sr. System Analyst utilizing various technologies, the one I went for is a Microsft.NET role

***Make sure what you have on your resume is TRUE and Correct, they use a background check service that really CHECKS! Your degrees, the length of each employment, where you've worked, etc. Make sure your resume is telling the truth***

Four stage interview process
    (1 HR, 1 Technical Phone, 1 Technical Phone w. Coding on the spot, 1 In-Person)
    =================================================
    1 - HR called and asked basic question such as "What is CLR?"

2 - Intense technical interview, some of the questions are really in-depth question that really tested on the understanding from basic to advanced C#, Asp.net, JavaScript, to SQL, to Protocols, to Design Pattern, to IIS, to Load Balancer, to Inner Working mechanisms of CLR.

They are not "What is this? What is that?" type of question that ask you the definition of each, the interviewer gave many scenarios.
    "If this happens, what would you do?",
    "Why use this method (or design pattern) in opposed to others?";
    "If Blah-Blah-Blah breaks, how you go by pinpointing the problem and fixing it?";
    "If this (whatever it was I forgot) is not available, what alternative tech/method you choose to use to do what you need and why"

TOTAL TIME: This interview lasted 45-60 minutes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 - Technical Review that used Microsft Lync (latest live meeting type of software)
    This inteview has further in-depth tech question that really tested on some design pattern knowledge and understandings of software development methodalogies.

Some computer science, Big-O, Big-Theta, Big-Omega questions, search, sort algorithm questions, etc.
    (Lucky that my college research was focused in Algorithms and in solving non-polynomial problems that I needed to determine these all the time, if I get tested on some you-will-never-use CS stuff, I sure would flung it)

After the technicals, they tested my People (Soft) Skills, team management, people management skills, for example.
    "If your team member has disagreements, or fights, what would you do?"
    "If your team member does not follow your instructions, what would you do?"

Total time so far: 25 minutes into interview.

Finally, coding on the spot using the "Whiteboard" feature of Microsoft Lync; the interviewer has many coding questions to select from, the ones I got are:

Q1 - Write a method that takes 2 parameters (lower, upper bound) that returns all Primes between these 2 ranges.

Q2 - Write a method that takes an unsorted list of integers, return the integer that has the highest number of occurences.

As you type in the whiteboard (live meeting) window, The interview can see every key stroke you type, but you are allowed to ask the interview nicely that you need a couple of mins to sketch something on paper before typing (which I did).

The interviewer said that usually they give 3 coding questions, but he's good with 2.
    Time spent on coding: 10 minutes.

TOTAL TIME: This interview lasted 35 minutes.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 - In Person with the hiring manager.
    Only 1 tech question. "In what scenario that using using LINQ is not a good idea?"

My response was LINQ is great, quick and easy to access, query, retrieve data, however, the weakness comes in when you need to insert or save something into database.

Via LINQ, first there are more lines of coding, then writing a stored proc that does Insert/Update, second, in a multi-thread environment like the web server, like multi-thread application. Commands are not passed over to the database until you call Submit in C#/VB code, concurrency issues, etc. etc.

And eventually the insert/update responsbilities are on SQL server anyway, why not directly write a stored proc for insert/update and call it as a method in C#/VB.

He nodded his head with a smile, but I dont know if my opinion is what hes looking for =D

After that, no more tech questions, he asked me questions on design pattern, pros and cons on a couple of methodologies and more People skill questions.
    EX: "if a customer got angry and started screaming/firing at you, how would you handle that?"

Then the remainder of the interview is him explaining ATS (Avanade Technology Solutions), job duties, etc.

TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour

Interview Questions
    • Database Partitioning, Splitting. My SQL is my weakest, so I just be honest that "I don't know the answer and I do not want to guess"   Answer Question

Offer was exceptional, base pay + bonuses and vacation package (that I negotiated) were great and very attractive.

However, I was told that the NY based ATS (Avanade Technology Solutions) is a non-traveling sector of Avanade, which is famous for traveling 70%+ of the time for many consultants, I was like "great, no travel" because of family reason.

But then I found out (after all the rigurious background checks and references) that Avanade's definition of "traveling" is traveling out-of-state, my role will be working off a client-site. Although it is local travel within Manhattan (because they have so many projects in NY that they dont need to send ATS people out) but I dont like the idea of working off the client site and I dont have a location that I go to everyday and call it the "office".

This is the reason I turned down the offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Avanade.

I had two technical interviews in chicago and both very professional.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very common I don't say it was difficult unless you not prepared.   Answer Question

Salary

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Avanade in September 2012.

Recruiter sets up Tech I. Basic stuff about .Net SQL Server, C#, ASP.NET, JavaScript. etc. If that goes well, Tech II is set with Deeper dive into .Net SQL Server, C#, ASP.NET, JavaScript. etc. Third interview with App Dev Lead for North America. Personality and communication interview mostly.

Interview Questions
    • If given $1000 and sent into best buy, what would you walk out with?   View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Avanade in August 2012.

The first interview is with an HR recruiter who asks about your experience and asks a few straight-forward .NET questions. The second interview was with a .NET Architect and is very in-depth. I recommend studying up on your .NET trivia.

Interview Questions
    • I can't think of a specific "difficult" question, but I know that I was tripped up a bit with the depth of the SQL Server questions. Study up on more than just queries, joins, etc. Understand performance tuning concepts and how they are implemented.   Answer Question

I was offered pretty much the same as I was making at my current position. I had a few other offers so even though Avanade offers a lot of learning/growth potential it didn't make sense to take their offer.

Business Development Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Avanade in August 2012.

Spoke to a screener then a recruiter. The recruiter connected me with the hiring manager. I met with him two times. Once was an initial meeting. The second was more formal and I was asked to present on a couple of topics (not technical). I then spoke with another regional leader face to face and finally had 2 phone interviews with regional executives. The process and conversations were easy. But it took a long time after confirming I was their candidate to finally get an offer

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the process was demonstrating how I would be successful in role. They really wanted to understand strategy and approach. This was not difficult in an absolute sense. Just relative to the rest of the conversations.   Answer Question
    Slow, but I got mostly what I wanted. Their benefits were somewhat overrepresented to me and I was very disappointed that they didn't have a matching charitable gifts program.