Avanade

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in February 2014.

Interview Details – Received an email about setting up a phone interview about 1-2 weeks after applying online. The phone interview was just a chance for them to know you so it was the basic interview questions like tell us about yourself. She asked about what you know about Avanade. She also gave you information about the position that you applied for.

Interview Question – Technology in 5 years?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade in March 2013.

Interview Details – I had an employee referral, just for full-disclosure. After approving my resume I had one phone interview with a HR employee. It was not very technical and just ask general critical thinking questions and explaining technology questions. Then they contacted me about meeting at my schools career fair which happen to be in the coming week so we could just meet face to face and chat before the interview in the coming weeks. The interview day was at their office and consisted of a nice overall experience they had us in a room with other interviewees and recent new hires to talk to while we waited. There was a written interview questions and short essay part. The actual interview was with some upper management and asked some technical questions but also was interested in how you could handle learning new things. I had no experience with any of the microsoft technology they used but had a broad knowledge of other technologies.

Interview Question – Although I don't know if it counted but i guess everything does. They gave a list of 15 items and if you got stranded on a boat in the middle of the ocean rank them by importance. It is a coast guard test.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They made it seem non-negotiable but i regret not trying harder.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Avanade in May 2011.

Interview Details – I had an initial interview with a recruiter on the phone. I was told she would set up a technical phone interview with someone else, but a while passed, and I never really heard back. At this point I had gotten another offer, but I only had about 2 weeks to decide and move to a new state to start the other job. I really wanted to work for Avanade though, so I started emailed the recruiter pretty much every day. I let her know about my situation, and that I really needed to hurry things along. I finally got the technical interview done, and they passed me through to the next stage which was an in-person interview. For the next interview, I met with just one very senior person at Avanade due to my time constrains, although I think it's usually a little different. We basically just talked about stuff for an hour (my background, family, etc.), and then I was contacted by the recruiter with an offer. Overall the recruiter was my main point of contact, and was really helpful and speeding things along once I let her know it was urgent for me.

Interview Question – During the technical interview they wanted to know about the underpinning of object-oriented programming, and I only remember 2: polymorphism and encapsulation. I still don't remember the third   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was just given an offer, and I accepted right off the bat. I was told that it was the highest they were allowed to offer for my position (it was entry level), but I'm not sure if that was true.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade in December 2012.

Interview Details – Generally pleasant experience with the first interview consisting primarily of general background and experience information. General questions pertaining to scheduling, leveling resources and the ability to travel up to 80% were covered with excellent feedback in the end.

The second interview similarly en-capsuled the first's general path; with more in-depth discussions about project philosophy and examples of how risk was managed and mitigated in a particular instance. Earned value management expertise was covered and intimated that it was required. The recruiter came back letting me know that she received EXCELLENT feedback from the second director level interviewer.

The third interview was in person (just before the holiday) where I spoke with another director about the delivery practice. Questions about technology in general along with project and concepts of earned value were covered. Also asked about ITIL and what it means. Having a technical engineering background was seen as a positive. It was intimated that there would be a recommend to hire.

After the holidays I was informed that I would have to have a fourth discussion with the overall director. My initial thoughts were that it was a conversation to discuss an offer but instead turned into questions regarding by background and concerns about my "hybrid" classification being a potential concern. There was even a question of whether I would be "comfortable" in the environment which left me a bit puzzled but was taken in stride.

Interview Questions

Very Difficult Interview

Consultant Interview

Consultant
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Avanade in December 2011.

Interview Details – There were 2 interviews I had to go through.
Even though I was not selected 6 months ago,
they selected me after 2 interviews.

I was selected for the training program 6 months ago,
but then, I received a call that the quota had been reached.
Hence, I had to wait 6 more months, and I had to call the
recruiter once again in December and repeat the interview process!

Interview Question – What is the most difficult situation you have been with a client?   Answer Question

Senior Systems Analyst/Solution Developer Interview

Senior Systems Analyst/Solution Developer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in October 2012.

Interview Details – There are many Sr. System Analyst utilizing various technologies, the one I went for is a Microsft.NET role

***Make sure what you have on your resume is TRUE and Correct, they use a background check service that really CHECKS! Your degrees, the length of each employment, where you've worked, etc. Make sure your resume is telling the truth***

Four stage interview process
(1 HR, 1 Technical Phone, 1 Technical Phone w. Coding on the spot, 1 In-Person)
=================================================
1 - HR called and asked basic question such as "What is CLR?"

2 - Intense technical interview, some of the questions are really in-depth question that really tested on the understanding from basic to advanced C#, Asp.net, JavaScript, to SQL, to Protocols, to Design Pattern, to IIS, to Load Balancer, to Inner Working mechanisms of CLR.

They are not "What is this? What is that?" type of question that ask you the definition of each, the interviewer gave many scenarios.
"If this happens, what would you do?",
"Why use this method (or design pattern) in opposed to others?";
"If Blah-Blah-Blah breaks, how you go by pinpointing the problem and fixing it?";
"If this (whatever it was I forgot) is not available, what alternative tech/method you choose to use to do what you need and why"

TOTAL TIME: This interview lasted 45-60 minutes
------------------------------------------------------------------
3 - Technical Review that used Microsft Lync (latest live meeting type of software)
This inteview has further in-depth tech question that really tested on some design pattern knowledge and understandings of software development methodalogies.

Some computer science, Big-O, Big-Theta, Big-Omega questions, search, sort algorithm questions, etc.
(Lucky that my college research was focused in Algorithms and in solving non-polynomial problems that I needed to determine these all the time, if I get tested on some you-will-never-use CS stuff, I sure would flung it)

After the technicals, they tested my People (Soft) Skills, team management, people management skills, for example.
"If your team member has disagreements, or fights, what would you do?"
"If your team member does not follow your instructions, what would you do?"

Total time so far: 25 minutes into interview.

Finally, coding on the spot using the "Whiteboard" feature of Microsoft Lync; the interviewer has many coding questions to select from, the ones I got are:

Q1 - Write a method that takes 2 parameters (lower, upper bound) that returns all Primes between these 2 ranges.

Q2 - Write a method that takes an unsorted list of integers, return the integer that has the highest number of occurences.

As you type in the whiteboard (live meeting) window, The interview can see every key stroke you type, but you are allowed to ask the interview nicely that you need a couple of mins to sketch something on paper before typing (which I did).

The interviewer said that usually they give 3 coding questions, but he's good with 2.
Time spent on coding: 10 minutes.

TOTAL TIME: This interview lasted 35 minutes.
------------------------------------------------------------------
4 - In Person with the hiring manager.
Only 1 tech question. "In what scenario that using using LINQ is not a good idea?"

My response was LINQ is great, quick and easy to access, query, retrieve data, however, the weakness comes in when you need to insert or save something into database.

Via LINQ, first there are more lines of coding, then writing a stored proc that does Insert/Update, second, in a multi-thread environment like the web server, like multi-thread application. Commands are not passed over to the database until you call Submit in C#/VB code, concurrency issues, etc. etc.

And eventually the insert/update responsbilities are on SQL server anyway, why not directly write a stored proc for insert/update and call it as a method in C#/VB.

He nodded his head with a smile, but I dont know if my opinion is what hes looking for =D

After that, no more tech questions, he asked me questions on design pattern, pros and cons on a couple of methodologies and more People skill questions.
EX: "if a customer got angry and started screaming/firing at you, how would you handle that?"

Then the remainder of the interview is him explaining ATS (Avanade Technology Solutions), job duties, etc.

TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour

Interview Question – Database Partitioning, Splitting. My SQL is my weakest, so I just be honest that "I don't know the answer and I do not want to guess"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was exceptional, base pay + bonuses and vacation package (that I negotiated) were great and very attractive.

However, I was told that the NY based ATS (Avanade Technology Solutions) is a non-traveling sector of Avanade, which is famous for traveling 70%+ of the time for many consultants, I was like "great, no travel" because of family reason.

But then I found out (after all the rigurious background checks and references) that Avanade's definition of "traveling" is traveling out-of-state, my role will be working off a client-site. Although it is local travel within Manhattan (because they have so many projects in NY that they dont need to send ATS people out) but I dont like the idea of working off the client site and I dont have a location that I go to everyday and call it the "office".

This is the reason I turned down the offer.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Avanade in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied to the Job online and was contacted for a phone interview within a few days. After going over my background and interests, I had a technical interview the following week. The interview consisted of Hardware, Network concepts Active Directory and IT situation problems. Not to challenging. After a month or so I got a call back that I passed my tech interview, then a few weeks later I was finally given a 1:1 interview with the Director at the local office. Most of the questions were about my background and what I had expertise in. Also he asked a lot about current MS technologies and news.

Interview Question – What is Full Duplex and Half Duplex?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Manager Interview

Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Avanade in June 2010.

Interview Details – standard process: tell me about your self, what we do, why do you want to leave? are you ok with travel?

Interview Questions

New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade in November 2011.

Interview Details – I spoke to a representative at my college's career fair. Within a week, I was contacted (email) by a university recruiter from Avanade regarding the SE position. We scheduled an appt with a formal recruiter to have an HR style (phone) interview. This interview was rescheduled twice by the recruiter. During the interview, we discussed the general details regarding the organization and the position. He emphasized that Avanade is pretty rigid in their offers to college hires. ($55k max) I was then recommended for the technical interview. This (phone) interview was also rescheduled many times. It was a more rigorous interview which really keyed in on technical knowledge for SE. Once he approved me, I was invited to the Avanade final interview/ orientation day. This was a fairly light interview process and they just wanted to have a 1:1 live interview. Once that was done, I was called by a recruiter within a week and presented a verbal offer. I am in the process of negotiating this offer with the Avanade folks.

Interview Question – What is the difference between RAID 0 & RAID 5?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I am still undergoing the negotiating process. I am looking to negotiate for $60k+. Based on prior interviews, it seems they are very rigid in their negotiations.

Very Easy Interview

Group Manager/Solutions Architect Interview

Group Manager/Solutions Architect
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in February 2010.

Interview Details – Technical Screening was good. Two phone screening each for about an hour. People interviewed were nice and friendly and professional. They tried to get a feel of knowledge & concept not the syntax or version.

If your answer/response is not exactly what they have in mind, I found them helping and not intimidating. I contrast it with one of the interview I had at one of the huge financial institution in NYC where interviewers were way too junior, with hard to understand accent, stuck in the weeds and kept splitting the hairs. Right in the interview I fired them (mentally) and lost my interest in the job they had.

Executive I met was professional (stiff neck) but pleasant. There we did not talk technical or the money. Had a coffee and discussions on technology trends, IT service industry and Avanade’s positioning.

Interview Question – Questions about logical application architecture, Identity Management, OOP, Microsoft BI stack including SharePoint, SSRS, SSAS. Infrastructure Services, Development Methodologies, Code Security   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR person, though nice but scattered brain and had no leverage and offered no room to negotiate. Sounded like HR runs a formula and formula sets the price (salary). I was ready to walk away and she had to get exec approvals for few grand.

My advice- There is no love. Know the market and your value. You would have not made to this stage if there is no demand and they won’t hesitate letting you go if they cannot keep you billable.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Avanade

Worked for Avanade? Contribute to the Community!