Avanade

Average Difficulty
21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Avanade in September 2013.

Interview Details – Part 1: Phone interview with Avanade recruiter. They will ask some typical STAR questions as well as asking how your technical background is.
Part 2: Phone interview with someone in Avanade with the same position you are applying for. Make sure you have a lot of questions since you are conducting the interview, not them.
Part 3: Final interview at the Avanade office. You will be with a handful of other potential candidates as Avanade will be critiquing how well you do in groups. Activities will include talking to Avanade employees in the room (judging how you interact with clients) and a group presentation.

Interview Question – What piece of technology do you find the most innovative in the past decade?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no travel expense for moving.

Solution Developer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Process took 3 weeks. Interview at avanade. Phone screening interview, basically go over my resume then ask some questions about Avanade.

Interview Question – Technology in 5 years?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was called by HR office, the went through 3 different interviews. 2 on the phones and the 3 third was on Skype. I received the offer but it required me rot relocate. Then someone after a while I received another call for the same job but this time is local.

Interview Question – a lot of technical questions, if you know your field well you will answer most of them. They don't expect you to know it all but most of them or answer them closely.   View Answer

Reason for Declining –

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solution Developer

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very professional. All campus recruiters really knew what they were talking about and what they were doing.

There were 2 main phone interviews with the recruiter.

- These questions were based on your school projects and current technologies.

One interview with a current employee.

- This was a selling interview where you asked the questions about the position to a person that was in your shoes.

One in-person Final interview in a large metropolitan city.

- This was relaxed with regular interview style questions. You also might speak about in-depth projects you did in school and dabble in your personal characteristics.

Interview Question – What did you take away from college.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade in October 2013.

Interview Details – I got this job thru campus recruiters in beginning of October, applied online, then got back in 2 weeks for my first phone interview. I had 4 rounds of interviews in total. First 3 were phone interviews and 1 last invited-to-office interview. First round was typical, asked general informations and briefly went over my resume. Second round, you have pay attention to, be prepared, the interview last an hour long and they asked behavior questions regarding how do you handle conflict situation with others in working on projects, and problem solving questions and vision in future technology. Third round was speaking with current employee to get know detail about the job, and you will be responsible to ask question and lead the interviews(Do research about the company and prepare good questions). The last one was invited to final round- office interview to meet several Avanade employees, presentation, lunch, 1 on 1 interview with head of director, and writing assessment and group work.
The entire interview happened in NY but then offered me a position in Bostion which is a bit far from my family, It is ok with me. I accepted the offer, the recruiting process was overall pleasant.

Interview Question – There was no real difficult question, review fundamental computer science terminology and be prepared by using STAR method to tell the project you have done or contribute the most(I was not from CS background, but engineering)
1. explain cloud tech to a 5 year old.
2. how to get a ping-pong ball out which stuck in a pipe(same diameter) other side buried into ground.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, I have recently graduated from college, I think the package was fair for a college graduate.

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in October 2013.

Interview Details – I had FOUR interviews: the first three were technical and had INCREASED in difficulty. The fourth interview was with a Sr. Collab. Mgr., which was all about being a great, cultural fit with the company or not.

The interviews per telephone will be different regional gurus whom are at the top of their craft so if you don't get all of them right, then it's fine. Just answer eloquently and articulately as possible!!! If you do not know it, just don't dilly-dally; be upfront and forward.

Interview Question – I cannot think of any because I was able to answer at least 50-100 percent of every question of all the questions rendered to me in the interview. On my 2nd technical interview, the guy almost had gotten me based on my Comp. Sci. undergrad days with the "What's' the difference btwn. an ArrayList and a HashTable?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Just take what they offer you. Seemingly, it's a great place to acquire a plethora of exposure to the latest and greatest MS technologies. Ask questions, be tenacious, be gracious, and you will enjoy this experience to come.

Solutions Developer

I applied online and interviewed at Avanade.

Interview Details – Applied online through their career website. A couple months later I received an email from a recruiter asking me to schedule a phone interview. The interview was mostly behavioral with a few general technical questions. For example, explain cloud computing to someone who doesn't understand the internet. There were also a few abstract questions such as what would you do you do if your cell phone power button wasn't working. They also asked what I knew about the company and what would make me a good consultant. Then the rest of the time was spent with him explaining to me the hiring process (six weeks of boot camp learning all Microsoft technologies). She also went through a list of technical and soft skills (programming, public speaking, etc) and you had to answer whether you had a basic, proficient, advanced, or expert level of competency with each.

Interview Question – If a ping pong ball was stuck in a pipe that is cemented in the ground how would you get it out?   View Answers (2)

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on university career website. phone interview was about a month later, they moved it back to accommodate my schedule. It was a rather long interview that covered technology in very general ways. They asked questions like what is the future of microsoft, what is biggest problem with cloud computing, etc. I didn't hear anything for a month then was requested for a final round at their Chicago office the next week. I went and it was a very professional, friendly outfit. It had a sterile, corporate feel but seemed like a decent place to work. They called me the next week and said I quite didn't have the level of development experience they needed. This might have been true, but they never really asked any programming or technical questions, so it seems a bit unfair. Overall positive experience though.

Interview Question – Explain cloud computing to a five year old   Answer Question

Houston, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Avanade in April 2012.

Interview Details – As for the interview process it was 2 phone interviews and then taken to office for 1:1 interview where they were looking at the personality.
The first phone interview was a basic phone interview.
The second phone interview was a technical interview which one should be prepared for. It went over things from software engineering design, database and Microsoft technology. It takes around 1 hour to complete. If someone payed attention and study in school they should not have an issue there. Just make sure you brush up on stuff before the interview.

The communication on how things where going and keep me informed was by far the best I have ever seen. They would call me back and tell me how I did at every step, telling me what I did great on and weak on.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I had 2 offers. It was a hard choice but I choose the company that did not require travel and I could leverage both my degrees in.

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Avanade in December 2011.

Interview Details – After an initial phone interview and a medium difficulty phone technical interview, I was invited for the final interview process at Avanade's Seattle offices.

The interview lasted from 9a-3p and consisted of:
Three 1:1 interviews. These were mainly behavioral, as we had all passed the technical interviews. The purpose of having more than one interview was so that they could compare notes on what they thought about us.
A written assessment. This was simply to evaluate how well we communicated in written form. We were asked to write about why we wanted to work at Avanade.
Lunch. Yum.
A group exercise. We were put into groups of 3-4 and put in a room with one or two observers. We were asked to pick which items we would keep on a crash landing on the moon. It was my impression they were just looking to see how well we worked with others and handled disagreements, differences in opinion, etc.
A group presentation. We presented our results from the group exercise.

The culture at Avanade seems to be positive, "go-getter" without being brutal and cutthroat. I felt at ease during the entire interview process and all of the interviewers were pleasant. I did notice that some of the people we interacted with were pretty informal, and I was on guard not to be TOO informal with them as we were being evaluated.

=Suggestions=
Do your homework about Avanade and the service group(s) you are interviewing for. Become at least conversational about whatever position you are interviewing for. Especially if you're a campus hire, they're not expecting you to know everything, so just be honest, don't freak out, and enjoy the experience.

Interview Question – Give an example of a conflict during a previous project. How did you manage the problem? What was the solution?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate with them. The offer they made was more than respectable for a first job out of college. However, the recruiter acted like the sign-on bonus I received was something special. Be sure to insist on the sign-on bonus because they do NOT provide relocation packages to college hires.

Worked for Avanade? Contribute to the Community!