Avanade

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Systems Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Avanade.

Interview Details – Professional hiring process. Great set of recruiters. All interviews are non-technical for new college hires.

First point of contact will be a recruiter, who will conduct a phone interview to verify if you are the one whose resume is in their hands.

Secondly, individuals deemed fit will get to speak to an existing employee, based on whose feedback, the final interview is arranged.

Finally, the final interview is a day-long group session with every individual getting to interview with a senior official at the company.

Interview Question – Was not difficult at all. Was a behavioral kind of interview.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Avanade in December 2010.

Interview Details – I was originally contacted by an internal recruiter at Avanade. This conversation was to go over technical abilities and career goals - essentially a 20 minute interview to determine whether or not it was worth the time to continue in the process. She was a very positive and up beat individual, whom it was nice to speak with, and made me feel good about the process. As a company, definitely the type of person that you would want to have doing initial contact with candidates.

At the end of the conversation, she indicated that she would be recommending me to continue on in the process and that from that point forward I would be dealing with two contacts: one contact to relay feedback and advise of next steps in the process; and the other contact would be the one that coordinates the interview phases between myself and the Avanade employees. I was contacted a couple hours later by both contacts to introduce themselves and to schedule the technical phone interview. I advised the contacts that I was currently on vacation and could move as fast as they could move - which they did.

The first interview was a technical phone interview that was scheduled to last 30 minutes. I was on the phone for about 45 minutes. The individual I spoke with was very nice and knowledgeable. He spent about five minutes describing his role (developer) and what working with Avanade is like. He was very understanding and asked that I not be insulted if the technical questions were too easy or upset if I didn't know one or if they were too hard. In reality, if you have more than two or three years experience these should be straight forward questions. There were also questions on architecture and SDLC methodologies. I spent probably about 10 minutes discussing the pros and cons of agile methodologies versus methodologies like waterfall, etc. Technical questions consisted of: tell me about inner and outer joins in SQL; when creating an object and you want to iterate over it using a foreach loop, which interface would you implement; difference between string and stringbuilder... It was nice to speak with someone that feels the same way I do regarding technology. At the end of the interview, he advised that he would provide his feedback and the representative would be in touch.

About two hours later I received a phone call from the representative stating that the feedback was very positive and I was being recommended onto the second technical interview, which would be a phone interview supplemented with using Microsoft Live Meeting. The interview was scheduled for the next day.

The second technical interview was hosted by a development manager. After logging into the Live Meeting and dialing in, the interviewer advised that he would not be using Live Meeting to conduct the interview. He indicated that it was unnecessary to ask further technical questions because of the level of position I was interviewing for. He wanted to discuss my leadership abilities in detail. Some questions that were asked: what type of tools do you use during the life cycle of a project; how would you manage a junior developer; speak about a time on a project that I lead when having to deal with difficult situations and different levels of management and what was the outcome. This interview was supposed to last approximately 45 to an hour and it lasted about 30 minutes. At the end of the interview, he indicated that he would recommend me onto the final phase, the in-person interview.

Again, about two hours later I received a phone call from the representative stating the feedback was very positive and I was being recommended onto the final phase, the in-person, confirming interview with my hiring manager. This interview was schedule the middle of the following week due to the hiring manager traveling. This interview would last approximately one hour.

At the beginning of this interview the hiring manager advised that it would be a little everything: technical skill, soft skills (communication), and discussing points on my resume. At this point I was also made more aware of the Avanade ATS organization, what his role was, and what my role would be. This lasted for about 10 minutes and then it was right into my resume. It started giving an overview of what projects I listed for my current employer, technologies used, and my role. After discussing this, I was then asked to pick one of the projects and draw the high-level architecture of the project on the dry erase board in the office. Moving forward, I was then asked to explain how I would estimate this project. The questions that followed made me support my theory and decisions based on the project - as if I were defending it to the client or upper management. At the end of this interview he indicated that he was going to follow up with the previous people I spoke with and get their feedback and then be in contact with the recruiting representatives on next steps.

Interview Questions

• You are creating an object and you want the ability to iterate over it using a foreach loop. What interface should your object inherit to allow this?   Answer Question
  • You are the lead developer on a project and you are responsible for a junior developer. What types of tasks would you assign the junior developer and how?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my salary. They began negotiations at my current salary - not sure if this was intentional or not. When I provided my expectations she countered trying to leverage the additional benefits of working for Avanade as a selling point. I confirmed that they were nice but reiterated my salary expectations along with the justification I have not received compensation increases or incentives in a few years.

My advice to someone negotiating with Avanade (or with anyone) is first and foremost be prepared. Do research on what is feasible for someone in your geographical region and skill set/role, and similar roles within Avanade. I was caught off guard when they approached me about salary expectations. I didn't think we would discuss it that early on. Luckily, I had already planned and knew what my minimum and maximum salary expectations were. Secondly, do not be intimidated if they counter your expectation and be prepared to justify why you feel you deserve your expectations. While the fringe benefits they provide are great, a MSDN subscription does not keep a roof over your head. I would also keep options open - if interviewing elsewhere. They did ask if I was actively interviewing and basic details of the position and compensation. Use that to your advantage, if in the position. I also reiterated that I was extremely interested in working for Avanade and they were number one on my list. In reality, be prepared and be confident in yourself.

New York, NY

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Avanade in November 2009.

Interview Details – The first interview was a phone interview with HR. She asked some very general questions and had a list of technical questions as well.

Some of them were:

clustered vs non-clustered indexes

the meaning of @@ERROR in T-SQL

The second technical phone screen was more in-depth. There are questions regarding sorting, ADO.NET, Web Services, .NET Collections, the .NET framework, and SQL. The interviewer makes you draw out tables and has you join three tables so going over how to do that is a good prep for this interview.

The third interview was a formal in person interview. There were a few technical questions such as:

the role of triggers
what is a strong named assembly

There's also some whiteboard questions on how to normalize a database as well as writing a function to reverse a string without using any built in reverse functions .NET provides.

The final interview is with a project management type who asks you about previous projects you've worked on in the past. The woman looked at me with sort of this condescending gaze, as if I wasn't really qualified to do the work. I got really nervous and think I blew the interview here.

Interview Questions

Systems Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Avanade in April 2010.

Interview Details – I got into the interview process after attending to a job fair, the recrutier got in touch with me and then schedule an interview with an Avanade Manager.

The Avanade Manager went over some technical question and then we did white board code solving problem questions.

After the interview with the Avanade Manager, I went for two interviews with the client (Microsoft)

Interview Question – Build the add and delete method for a Balanced binary tree   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Avanade

Worked for Avanade? Contribute to the Community!

Avanade – Why Work for Us?

(Please press the Pause button on any video in progress before playing additional videos.) We start by creating solutions based on our winning combination of insight, innovation, and deep knowledge of Microsoft… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avanade Systems Analyst interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Avanade employees and interview candidates.