Avascent

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Avascent in June 2014.

Interview Details – First round phone interview where I spoke for 30 minutes with a senior analyst and then 30 minutes with a partner. The analyst interview was behavioral and the partner interview was more scenario based questions along with behavioral type questions.

Interview Question – How does Avascent fit in to your career goals?   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Avascent.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's career center and got an interview a few weeks later. The on-campus interview was a brief behavioral interview followed by a case study. I quickly learned of my second interview, during which I had an additional handful of interviews with people of all titles at the office. Most of the questions were as expected, they didn't try to be difficult, but it was imperative to know why I chose Avascent specifically. There are dozens of consulting firms in DC, it's important to know why Avascent.

Interview Question – Where you would find information about [something really technical that I don't remember]?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, was more than happy with the offer.

Interviewed at Avascent

Interview Details – First had on-campus interview with two senior analysts.
During final round, met with another senior analyst, manager, and the HR director. Ended with a casual lunch with two junior analysts.

Interview Question – Why private sector?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Avascent

Interview Details – I received an interview through my school's career website. There were two parts, a 30-minute behavioral interview and a 30 minute case interview. The case related to defense and aerospace, and was pretty direct. I received an email a few days later letting me know I didn't get a second round interview.

Interview Question – Where else have you applied?   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Avascent in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through campus career center and did an on-campus interview. Did a 30-minute behavioral interview with one guy and a 30-minute case interview with someone else. The behavioral interview was very chill and just a conversation but I didn't get along with the interviewer.

Interview Question – The "hardest" question was "how do you manage multiple tasks?"   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Avascent.

Interview Details – Resume review leading to an on-campus interview. Pretty straight-forward setup (2 30-minute interviews, back to back, one behavioral and one case-study).
Following those campus interviews, I was invited to interview onsite in DC. This interview process lasted the majority of a day, including interviews with Analysts, Senior Analysts, and even 20 minutes with the President of the company. All the interviews were case-centric, bur not traditional cases like you might find at McKinsey or elsewhere. Each person I met there was manifestly intelligent and excited about their job.

Interview Question – Where would you go to find out information about small satellite manufacturers?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Avascent in April 2012.

Interview Details – I reached out to one of their Partners and he forwarded my resume to HR. I was contacted a few days after to schedule a phone interview with their HR Manager. She was very nice and open, and after an interview focused on my experience relevant to consulting and cultural fit to the firm she shared with me several traits that Avascent seeks in a candidate. These include strong analytical abilities, an ability to present information to clients without arrogance, and a desire to move up in the consulting career path.

The HR Manager then contacted me to schedule two phone interviews with current employees in project manager roles. I was an out-of-town candidate, and as I understand it most hires face a shorter interviewing process. These focused on specific consulting experience in past jobs, what kinds of tasks I undertook and how I was able to succeed. As a candidate with previous consulting experience in the defense industry (Avascent's main client base) the questions were very focused.

I was contacted a week after the phone interviews and offered an in-person interview in Avascent's DC office. The company paid for my flight and hotel in full. In-person interviews lasted about 4 hours. This included a case interview, an interview with another Senior Analyst, a Partner interview, lunch with two current Analysts, and a final interview with the President. Most questions seemed designed to gauge cultural fit and skills relevant to consulting. Skills they evaluated included research, quantitative analysis, building Powerpoint presentations, and public speaking. The case was focused on the defense industry, requiring some creative thinking for those used to commercial industry cases.

I was contacted a few weeks later and recieved an offer which I accepted.

Interview Question – We like to have an immediate sense of how employees can contribute. What would you do in this job at 9am on your first day?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate salary or benefits, as Avascent offered me more than I had stated when asked for a preferred salary range.

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Avascent.

Interview Details – 1st round - 30 minute behavioral interview and 30 minute case. The behavioral interview was fairly casual. Most questions gauged interest in the company, defense industry, and probed into your educational/professional background. The case was indicative of the type of work they see at Avascent and involved analyzing several charts and a little bit of straight computation.

Within a week, I was notified for second round interviews at the office in DC. This day consisted of interviews with an analyst, a project manager, HR, a lunch with two analysts, and a "surprise" interview with the firm's president. Lots of questions about research techniques and methods.

Interview Question – In the final round interview, they really try to gauge your research skills and there were several vague questions about this.   View Answer

Market Analyst Interview

Market Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Avascent.

Interview Details – I applied online for a different position and was emailed several months later by HR to see if I would be interested in interviewing for this one. The first interview was in-person with two team members and focused on their specific project. They used several case study questions. The next day HR called and invited me back for a second round interview. This lasted two hours, with four different people from HR to management and was a more typical behavioral interview. I never heard back from them.

Interview Question – How would you determine what India's defense needs will be 10 years from now?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avascent in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's recruiting tool and was contacted for an interview based on an initial resume screen. I then participated in an on-campus interview process that involved a 45 minute behavioral interview and a 45 minute case. The behavioral interview was casual and straightforward, with questions I had anticipated (strengths/weaknesses, career goals, etc). The case was relatively dialogic and casual compared with my experiences at other consulting interviews.

About a week later I was contacted to schedule an interview a Avascent's office in Washington. I was fully compensated for my flight and hotel, and spent a total of about six hours interviewing. The on site interviews included a few managers, a peer interview, and a conversation with the company president, and from a subject matter perspective, they attempted to get at how I would think around the kinds of research problems and time management hurdles that an analyst st Avascent faces. The day also included a lunch interview with two current analysts, designed to better assess a candidate's behavioral fit.

Interview Question – The case interview required thinking critically about aerospace and defense subject matter, which can be unexpected if you are accustomed to case interviews in markets without significant government revenue streams   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Avascent

Worked for Avascent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avascent interview questions and advice. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by Avascent employees and interview candidates.