Avascent Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014
Updated Oct 17, 2014

3.2

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Avascent.

Contacted for first round on campus, did a 30 minute behavioral and 30 minute case interview. Straightforward, and nothing too unexpected. People were friendly and nice, and did not try to trip you up on any questions. Keen to know why avascent was a good fit for me

Interview Questions
    • What would your feedback review from your previous employer look like? Where does Avascent fit into your career goals?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avascent in October 2014.

1. employee referral by an alum.

2. 30 minute phone screen by HR - resume rundown with the 'why avascent' question being paramount.

3. I was not a local candidate so I had the option of doing the first round interview over the phone or in person. I drove down to do it in person because case interviews over the phone aren't great. I had a half hour interview each with two people separately - A senior associate level who did a simple market entry case based on drones/fighter planes and a resume/experience review by a peer-level person. Easy interviews with easy questions. This is not MBB level stress or technicality when it comes to case or interview.

4. I was invited for a 2nd round a week later. The 2nd round consists of a peer interview/job overview in the morning, being taken out to lunch by two peer-level people, an interview with an engagement manager, an interview with head of HR/recruiting to go over career path/salary/benefits, and an interview with the president/head of the firm.

5. I was told that the fit wouldn't be right at this time in the middle of the fourth interview with HR so I didn't continue onto the rest of the day - this is similar to how interviews are run in tech out west but I found it a bit unprofessional, the way it was handled, as even McKinsey doesn't treat interview candidates like this.

The big thing at Avascent is you have to convince them that you fit the firm and consulting in general. Since there is not heavy turn over in post-masters/mba employees (no up and out like MBB), fit is key.

The firm reimburses you for travel, lodging, and food for your total recruitment up to 700 USD.

Interview Questions
    • It is an easy interview from a technical stand point. Cases no where near as a stressful as MBB consulting. The tough questions are more fit and 'why consulting' based.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Avascent.

I applied through my university's career center and got an interview a few weeks later. The on-campus interview was a brief behavioral interview followed by a case study. I quickly learned of my second interview, during which I had an additional handful of interviews with people of all titles at the office. Most of the questions were as expected, they didn't try to be difficult, but it was imperative to know why I chose Avascent specifically. There are dozens of consulting firms in DC, it's important to know why Avascent.

Interview Questions
    • Where you would find information about [something really technical that I don't remember]?   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate, was more than happy with the offer.

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Avascent in June 2014.

First round phone interview where I spoke for 30 minutes with a senior analyst and then 30 minutes with a partner. The analyst interview was behavioral and the partner interview was more scenario based questions along with behavioral type questions.

Analyst Interview

First had on-campus interview with two senior analysts.
    During final round, met with another senior analyst, manager, and the HR director. Ended with a casual lunch with two junior analysts.

Analyst Interview

I received an interview through my school's career website. There were two parts, a 30-minute behavioral interview and a 30 minute case interview. The case related to defense and aerospace, and was pretty direct. I received an email a few days later letting me know I didn't get a second round interview.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Avascent.

Resume review leading to an on-campus interview. Pretty straight-forward setup (2 30-minute interviews, back to back, one behavioral and one case-study).
    Following those campus interviews, I was invited to interview onsite in DC. This interview process lasted the majority of a day, including interviews with Analysts, Senior Analysts, and even 20 minutes with the President of the company. All the interviews were case-centric, bur not traditional cases like you might find at McKinsey or elsewhere. Each person I met there was manifestly intelligent and excited about their job.

Interview Questions
    • Where would you go to find out information about small satellite manufacturers?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Avascent.

1st round - 30 minute behavioral interview and 30 minute case. The behavioral interview was fairly casual. Most questions gauged interest in the company, defense industry, and probed into your educational/professional background. The case was indicative of the type of work they see at Avascent and involved analyzing several charts and a little bit of straight computation.

Within a week, I was notified for second round interviews at the office in DC. This day consisted of interviews with an analyst, a project manager, HR, a lunch with two analysts, and a "surprise" interview with the firm's president. Lots of questions about research techniques and methods.

Interview Questions
    • In the final round interview, they really try to gauge your research skills and there were several vague questions about this.   View Answer

Market Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Avascent.

I applied online for a different position and was emailed several months later by HR to see if I would be interested in interviewing for this one. The first interview was in-person with two team members and focused on their specific project. They used several case study questions. The next day HR called and invited me back for a second round interview. This lasted two hours, with four different people from HR to management and was a more typical behavioral interview. I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions
    • How would you determine what India's defense needs will be 10 years from now?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Avascent in February 2013.

Applied through campus career center and did an on-campus interview. Did a 30-minute behavioral interview with one guy and a 30-minute case interview with someone else. The behavioral interview was very chill and just a conversation but I didn't get along with the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • The "hardest" question was "how do you manage multiple tasks?"   Answer Question