Avascent

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Avascent in April 2012.

Interview Details – I reached out to one of their Partners and he forwarded my resume to HR. I was contacted a few days after to schedule a phone interview with their HR Manager. She was very nice and open, and after an interview focused on my experience relevant to consulting and cultural fit to the firm she shared with me several traits that Avascent seeks in a candidate. These include strong analytical abilities, an ability to present information to clients without arrogance, and a desire to move up in the consulting career path.

The HR Manager then contacted me to schedule two phone interviews with current employees in project manager roles. I was an out-of-town candidate, and as I understand it most hires face a shorter interviewing process. These focused on specific consulting experience in past jobs, what kinds of tasks I undertook and how I was able to succeed. As a candidate with previous consulting experience in the defense industry (Avascent's main client base) the questions were very focused.

I was contacted a week after the phone interviews and offered an in-person interview in Avascent's DC office. The company paid for my flight and hotel in full. In-person interviews lasted about 4 hours. This included a case interview, an interview with another Senior Analyst, a Partner interview, lunch with two current Analysts, and a final interview with the President. Most questions seemed designed to gauge cultural fit and skills relevant to consulting. Skills they evaluated included research, quantitative analysis, building Powerpoint presentations, and public speaking. The case was focused on the defense industry, requiring some creative thinking for those used to commercial industry cases.

I was contacted a few weeks later and recieved an offer which I accepted.

Interview Question – We like to have an immediate sense of how employees can contribute. What would you do in this job at 9am on your first day?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate salary or benefits, as Avascent offered me more than I had stated when asked for a preferred salary range.

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Avascent in October 2009.

Interview Details – Very organized interview process. A phone screen was followed by a tandem of a 1:1 behavioral interview and case study. After that, you are invited to their offices for interviews with senior leadership, potential peers.

Interview Question – desribe a challenging project that you had to manage   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not really. I think they have a lot of applicants and they are also fair about compensation

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Avascent in December 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online via my graduate school’s career website. Shortly after, I received an invitation for an on campus interview. The first interview consisted of one interview discussing my resume and past work experience, and the second interview was a case interview. Having never done a case interview before I was a little nervous, but found the experience to be positive and straightforward.

About a week later I received a phone call asking me to come to Avascent’s office for a second round interview. My on campus interview was in late October, and the second round interview was in December, so there was a bit of a gap between the interviews.

At Avascent’s office I interviewed with HR, an Analyst, a Project Manager, and a Partner. The second round interview was a great experience, and played a major role in my decision to come to work at Avascent. It was a great opportunity to get a feel for the people working at Avascent and the company’s work culture. About a week after the second round interview I received a call offering me a Senior Analyst position, which I accepted.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in the Defense sector?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Avascent gave me a very fair salary offer around what I had stated my expectation was. They took my past relevant work experience into consideration when offering me a Senior Analyst position as opposed to an Analyst position, something I was initially concerned about. They also gave me adequate time to consider my other offers before accepting, and I didn’t feel pressured to make a quick decision like I did with other companies where I received offers.

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avascent in October 2009.

Interview Details – I was referred to Avascent by a former co-worker. The first step in the process was a phone screen, but rather than a typical phone interview, Avascent's HR rep asked some really detailed questions about what I knew about the company and why I wanted a job with them. She also asked questions along the lines of why a company would hire Avascent to do a job rather than a different company. While I thought the question was fair, it felt like she was looking for me to praise and complement the company. Anyway, a week later, they told me that they wanted to interview me as part of their on-campus recruitment.

On campus, I interviewed with two consultants. The first was a behavior based interview with questions like "Tell me about a time when you worked in a group and not everyone agreed on a course of action." The second interview was a case, but I hesitate to call it a typical consulting case interview. For one, the interviewer was looking for a specific answer which struck me as very odd. When I made a recommendation different from their specific answer, the interviewer had this dismissive look and attitude about him.

The entire process was fairly tedious because they did not do a good job of communicating with me. I only found out that they wanted to interview me on campus the afternoon before they came. They were also running very late in their interview schedule and came off as very unprofessional and disorganized.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Avascent

Worked for Avascent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avascent Senior Analyst interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Avascent employees and interview candidates.