Avascent

3.1

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avascent in October 2014.

1. employee referral by an alum.

2. 30 minute phone screen by HR - resume rundown with the 'why avascent' question being paramount.

3. I was not a local candidate so I had the option of doing the first round interview over the phone or in person. I drove down to do it in person because case interviews over the phone aren't great. I had a half hour interview each with two people separately - A senior associate level who did a simple market entry case based on drones/fighter planes and a resume/experience review by a peer-level person. Easy interviews with easy questions. This is not MBB level stress or technicality when it comes to case or interview.

4. I was invited for a 2nd round a week later. The 2nd round consists of a peer interview/job overview in the morning, being taken out to lunch by two peer-level people, an interview with an engagement manager, an interview with head of HR/recruiting to go over career path/salary/benefits, and an interview with the president/head of the firm.

5. I was told that the fit wouldn't be right at this time in the middle of the fourth interview with HR so I didn't continue onto the rest of the day - this is similar to how interviews are run in tech out west but I found it a bit unprofessional, the way it was handled, as even McKinsey doesn't treat interview candidates like this.

The big thing at Avascent is you have to convince them that you fit the firm and consulting in general. Since there is not heavy turn over in post-masters/mba employees (no up and out like MBB), fit is key.

The firm reimburses you for travel, lodging, and food for your total recruitment up to 700 USD.

Interview Questions
    • It is an easy interview from a technical stand point. Cases no where near as a stressful as MBB consulting. The tough questions are more fit and 'why consulting' based.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Avascent in October 2014.

Referred internally because they did not have on-campus recruiting at my West Coast school, two phone interviews, then invited on-site for more behavioral and a case interview lasting all morning.

Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avascent in July 2012.

Two stages to the interview process. The first was a talk with HR going over my resume (very standard questions) and discussing the position and the hiring process, followed by a chat with two senior analysts where they asked me more pointed questions about how I would go about getting the information I would be looking for in the work. These were sort of like case study questions, but not your average consulting how-many-ping-pong-balls-fit-in-an-airplane sort of thing. They were industry specific.

I was called back within a week for the second round, where I spoke one-on-one with two other senior analysts about the job specifics and had my questions answered, followed by another chat with HR about benefits, salary, etc. This set of interviews was really more about making sure I was a good fit for the team dynamic and less about the subject matter.

Interview Questions
    • Where would you go to find information about an obscure piece of military equipment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Avascent in July 2012.

I applied online, and got a phone call a couple weeks later inviting me to come in for an interview.

I interviewed first with someone from HR, and then with two staff from the group that the position was with.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked questions about what sort of obstacles I would face when conducting research on certain issues and/or countries, and how I would get around these obstacles.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Avascent in April 2012.

I reached out to one of their Partners and he forwarded my resume to HR. I was contacted a few days after to schedule a phone interview with their HR Manager. She was very nice and open, and after an interview focused on my experience relevant to consulting and cultural fit to the firm she shared with me several traits that Avascent seeks in a candidate. These include strong analytical abilities, an ability to present information to clients without arrogance, and a desire to move up in the consulting career path.

The HR Manager then contacted me to schedule two phone interviews with current employees in project manager roles. I was an out-of-town candidate, and as I understand it most hires face a shorter interviewing process. These focused on specific consulting experience in past jobs, what kinds of tasks I undertook and how I was able to succeed. As a candidate with previous consulting experience in the defense industry (Avascent's main client base) the questions were very focused.

I was contacted a week after the phone interviews and offered an in-person interview in Avascent's DC office. The company paid for my flight and hotel in full. In-person interviews lasted about 4 hours. This included a case interview, an interview with another Senior Analyst, a Partner interview, lunch with two current Analysts, and a final interview with the President. Most questions seemed designed to gauge cultural fit and skills relevant to consulting. Skills they evaluated included research, quantitative analysis, building Powerpoint presentations, and public speaking. The case was focused on the defense industry, requiring some creative thinking for those used to commercial industry cases.

I was contacted a few weeks later and recieved an offer which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • We like to have an immediate sense of how employees can contribute. What would you do in this job at 9am on your first day?   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate salary or benefits, as Avascent offered me more than I had stated when asked for a preferred salary range.

Analyst/Senior ANalyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avascent in March 2012.

I applied online and was contacted through their HR department. Initial phone screen was very typical (discuss resume, goals, etc.). Next, I was asked to have another phone screen with two of their senior associates. I thought it went pretty well. Discussed my interest in the company along with my resume. Finally, I was asked to come in for a 1:1 3 round interview. Took about 2 hours. First interview was with HR to discuss the process, the second interview was an Associate and gave me a case study. It was very basic. Just few tables and pie charts asking market entry questions. Lastly, I had an interview with another associate talking about my past experience and resume. I didn't make it to the next round which would have been an entire day spent with analyst and executives. I feel that they didn't pursue me because I am too technical in nature. I have an engineering degree and a Masters in Eng. Management. I could tell the interviewer was concerned that I didn't have enough experience in policy and economics. So if you're an engineer, I would steer away from this company as many of their employees have BA's and MBA's.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Avascent in February 2012.

The first interviewer was a little late getting to me, but overall it was a very positive experience. The case was a simple growth case supplemented by charts and graphs, nothing too difficult. This was followed by a 20 min. behavioral interview. I found both interviewers to be very personable and passionate about Avascent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Avascent in February 2012.

For Avascent, it was 2 1:1 interview, one fit and one case. The fit interview was very awkward because the associate speaks really fast and I felt like I was forced to answer at her pace or else I am incompetent. Regardless of major, the fit part is crucial to their candidate selection process. You must show your interest in International Relations or International Politics on your resume or coursework in order to be moved forward. Otherwise your chances are slim.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Avascent in March 2011.

Avascent is a small niche consulting firm located in DC. I interviewed as an engineer interested in consulting for the aerospace and defense industries. First round on campus interviews were one case and one behavior interview that lasted about 45 minutes each. Their case was very specific to work they had done for a client. I was invited to DC for a second round interview. I spoke with several different people including the president while there, and had a great time, but no offer sadly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Avascent in February 2011.

I got an email from our career center about The Avascent Group (TAG) inviting students to apply for their analyst position. I was intrigued because they weren't the cookie-cutter consulting firms I had seen, and had a very good niche in their market.

The initial round was a resume, cover letter and writing sample. Within a week or so, I was personally emailed from TAG rep, as well as notified through my career center's recruitment website that I had an on campus interview. There was a behavioral and a case. I hadn't done many other cases, but this was definitely easy to understood and served to show the type of work you would do and judge your thought process. The most important thing through this is to relax and be honest, and know why you want to work there. Within a week, I was invited to an onsite interview. They were very flexible with my schedule.

I flew up to DC, and spent about 5 hours total. There were a series of interviews, including the president, 2 analysts, a project manager, and an HR rep. We also got to enjoy a more informal lunch with one other interviewee and two young analysts to really get a good feel of the company. The one question you must know is why you want to work there. Each interviewer wanted to understand my motive, and ensure that I would fit within their culture. Within a week, I had an offer, which I did accept.

Unlike larger companies, there isn't much "glitz" or "glamour." They didn't extend the trip to include anything touristy, and I basically toured DC by myself when I wasn't in their office. But they didn't need anything extra to still put them at the top of my list when deciding between their company and others.

Interview Questions
    I didn't try to negotiate, I was very happy with the offer I received.