Avascent

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Avascent in April 2012.

Interview Details – I reached out to one of their Partners and he forwarded my resume to HR. I was contacted a few days after to schedule a phone interview with their HR Manager. She was very nice and open, and after an interview focused on my experience relevant to consulting and cultural fit to the firm she shared with me several traits that Avascent seeks in a candidate. These include strong analytical abilities, an ability to present information to clients without arrogance, and a desire to move up in the consulting career path.

The HR Manager then contacted me to schedule two phone interviews with current employees in project manager roles. I was an out-of-town candidate, and as I understand it most hires face a shorter interviewing process. These focused on specific consulting experience in past jobs, what kinds of tasks I undertook and how I was able to succeed. As a candidate with previous consulting experience in the defense industry (Avascent's main client base) the questions were very focused.

I was contacted a week after the phone interviews and offered an in-person interview in Avascent's DC office. The company paid for my flight and hotel in full. In-person interviews lasted about 4 hours. This included a case interview, an interview with another Senior Analyst, a Partner interview, lunch with two current Analysts, and a final interview with the President. Most questions seemed designed to gauge cultural fit and skills relevant to consulting. Skills they evaluated included research, quantitative analysis, building Powerpoint presentations, and public speaking. The case was focused on the defense industry, requiring some creative thinking for those used to commercial industry cases.

I was contacted a few weeks later and recieved an offer which I accepted.

Interview Question – We like to have an immediate sense of how employees can contribute. What would you do in this job at 9am on your first day?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate salary or benefits, as Avascent offered me more than I had stated when asked for a preferred salary range.

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avascent in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's recruiting tool and was contacted for an interview based on an initial resume screen. I then participated in an on-campus interview process that involved a 45 minute behavioral interview and a 45 minute case. The behavioral interview was casual and straightforward, with questions I had anticipated (strengths/weaknesses, career goals, etc). The case was relatively dialogic and casual compared with my experiences at other consulting interviews.

About a week later I was contacted to schedule an interview a Avascent's office in Washington. I was fully compensated for my flight and hotel, and spent a total of about six hours interviewing. The on site interviews included a few managers, a peer interview, and a conversation with the company president, and from a subject matter perspective, they attempted to get at how I would think around the kinds of research problems and time management hurdles that an analyst st Avascent faces. The day also included a lunch interview with two current analysts, designed to better assess a candidate's behavioral fit.

Interview Question – The case interview required thinking critically about aerospace and defense subject matter, which can be unexpected if you are accustomed to case interviews in markets without significant government revenue streams   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Avascent in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, and got a phone call a couple weeks later inviting me to come in for an interview.

I interviewed first with someone from HR, and then with two staff from the group that the position was with.

Interview Question – I was asked questions about what sort of obstacles I would face when conducting research on certain issues and/or countries, and how I would get around these obstacles.   Answer Question

Market Analyst Interview

Market Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avascent in July 2012.

Interview Details – Two stages to the interview process. The first was a talk with HR going over my resume (very standard questions) and discussing the position and the hiring process, followed by a chat with two senior analysts where they asked me more pointed questions about how I would go about getting the information I would be looking for in the work. These were sort of like case study questions, but not your average consulting how-many-ping-pong-balls-fit-in-an-airplane sort of thing. They were industry specific.

I was called back within a week for the second round, where I spoke one-on-one with two other senior analysts about the job specifics and had my questions answered, followed by another chat with HR about benefits, salary, etc. This set of interviews was really more about making sure I was a good fit for the team dynamic and less about the subject matter.

Interview Question – Where would you go to find information about an obscure piece of military equipment?   Answer Question

Analyst/Senior ANalyst Interview

Analyst/Senior ANalyst
Washington, DC

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Avascent in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted through their HR department. Initial phone screen was very typical (discuss resume, goals, etc.). Next, I was asked to have another phone screen with two of their senior associates. I thought it went pretty well. Discussed my interest in the company along with my resume. Finally, I was asked to come in for a 1:1 3 round interview. Took about 2 hours. First interview was with HR to discuss the process, the second interview was an Associate and gave me a case study. It was very basic. Just few tables and pie charts asking market entry questions. Lastly, I had an interview with another associate talking about my past experience and resume. I didn't make it to the next round which would have been an entire day spent with analyst and executives. I feel that they didn't pursue me because I am too technical in nature. I have an engineering degree and a Masters in Eng. Management. I could tell the interviewer was concerned that I didn't have enough experience in policy and economics. So if you're an engineer, I would steer away from this company as many of their employees have BA's and MBA's.

Interview Question – Why Avascent?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Avascent in February 2012.

Interview Details – For Avascent, it was 2 1:1 interview, one fit and one case. The fit interview was very awkward because the associate speaks really fast and I felt like I was forced to answer at her pace or else I am incompetent. Regardless of major, the fit part is crucial to their candidate selection process. You must show your interest in International Relations or International Politics on your resume or coursework in order to be moved forward. Otherwise your chances are slim.

Interview Question – Why Consulting?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Avascent in February 2012.

Interview Details – The first interviewer was a little late getting to me, but overall it was a very positive experience. The case was a simple growth case supplemented by charts and graphs, nothing too difficult. This was followed by a 20 min. behavioral interview. I found both interviewers to be very personable and passionate about Avascent.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Avascent in October 2009.

Interview Details – Very organized interview process. A phone screen was followed by a tandem of a 1:1 behavioral interview and case study. After that, you are invited to their offices for interviews with senior leadership, potential peers.

Interview Question – desribe a challenging project that you had to manage   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not really. I think they have a lot of applicants and they are also fair about compensation

Washington, DC

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Avascent in March 2011.

Interview Details – Avascent is a small niche consulting firm located in DC. I interviewed as an engineer interested in consulting for the aerospace and defense industries. First round on campus interviews were one case and one behavior interview that lasted about 45 minutes each. Their case was very specific to work they had done for a client. I was invited to DC for a second round interview. I spoke with several different people including the president while there, and had a great time, but no offer sadly.

Interview Questions

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Avascent in February 2011.

Interview Details – I got an email from our career center about The Avascent Group (TAG) inviting students to apply for their analyst position. I was intrigued because they weren't the cookie-cutter consulting firms I had seen, and had a very good niche in their market.

The initial round was a resume, cover letter and writing sample. Within a week or so, I was personally emailed from TAG rep, as well as notified through my career center's recruitment website that I had an on campus interview. There was a behavioral and a case. I hadn't done many other cases, but this was definitely easy to understood and served to show the type of work you would do and judge your thought process. The most important thing through this is to relax and be honest, and know why you want to work there. Within a week, I was invited to an onsite interview. They were very flexible with my schedule.

I flew up to DC, and spent about 5 hours total. There were a series of interviews, including the president, 2 analysts, a project manager, and an HR rep. We also got to enjoy a more informal lunch with one other interviewee and two young analysts to really get a good feel of the company. The one question you must know is why you want to work there. Each interviewer wanted to understand my motive, and ensure that I would fit within their culture. Within a week, I had an offer, which I did accept.

Unlike larger companies, there isn't much "glitz" or "glamour." They didn't extend the trip to include anything touristy, and I basically toured DC by myself when I wasn't in their office. But they didn't need anything extra to still put them at the top of my list when deciding between their company and others.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate, I was very happy with the offer I received.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Avascent

Worked for Avascent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avascent interview questions and advice in Washington, DC . All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by Avascent employees and interview candidates.