Avero

Avero Interview Questions

Human Resources Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avero in December 2010.

I am absolutely disgusted with how Avero treats candidates.

They found my resume on LinkedIn and I initially had a phone interview with the woman who was transitioning out of the position to go to grad school. We had a wonderful phone interview, spanning about 40 minutes, and she let me know she would recommend for me to meet with her boss when her boss returned from maternity leave. All good, right?

I then went in for an in-person interview with my direct boss, the only other person in the HR department. She was very loud, in your face, and dismissive. Throughout the entire interview, I felt like she was forcing me to argue my own opinions to questions like, "how did you like your undergraduate experience?" and letting me know that my reasons for moving from an admin role to an HR role weren't "that great". She had me meet with a contractor who was doing payroll in her maternity leave absence, and I left thinking it wasn't a great experience.

They called back and had me come back to meet with the person I had done the phone interview with and their CFO. Those interviews went well, and I met up again with the VP of HR. She asked me if I was still interested in the role and I gave her an emphatic "yes" and she wanted to know if they hired me the position if I would take it - again, I told her 100%. She asked me if I could wait until January (It was mid December at this point) and I told her yes, if you make me an offer, I will sign the letter right now. She told me to wait by the phone for the next day.

I heard from her a week later to let me know they were pushing off making a decision until after the new year and to reach out if I was still looking. In those 2 weeks, I was offered and accepted a similar position, also in NYC. If they wanted to move forward with another candidate, they should have just told me no!
    I then recommended a friend to the position and my friend was ultimately rejected because they had gone with another candidate, only to see the same exact job posted the day after she was rejected!

Run away from Avero. The VP of HR seems to be a bit whacked.

Interview Questions

Client Operations Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Avero in November 2010.

The entire process, from beginning to end, was excellent. It started with a phone call and very brief feeling-out process on both sides before setting up a phone interview. The phone interview was similarly basic, involving all behavioral questions. I then moved into an in-person, one-on-one interview, which lasted a little over an hour. This was 95% behavioral based, but there were a few basic technical questions involved.

Later that day I was invited to an interview day in New York. This day consisted of four separate interviews with the top executives of the firm, primarily behavioral in nature, but with some technical questions and one logic puzzle. Overall the process was very smooth and very straight forward. The people were friendly -- as interviewers, they showed genuine interest in learning whether I would be qualified and/or fit into their system. The people all also had a genuine excitement in the industry in general and their jobs specifically; it was readily apparent that they love what they do.

As for advice, honestly, be yourself. Unlike in certain interview situations, you are not expected to be superhuman. So long as you have genuine interest in joining the company and are sincere in your expressions of it, you will have a chance. Feel free to smile, and do not be surprised if the interview feels more like a conversation than an evaluation -- some of the interview is designed to see how well you would interact with clients in pressure situations, so the idea is that if you can hold a light hearted conversation during an interview, you could do the same when trying to sign a potential client.

Interview Questions

It was unbelievably difficult to decline this offer because every interaction I had with Avero, from start to finish, was positive. In the end, however, location was the biggest factor. I was given a slightly more lucrative opportunity, but it was MUCH closer to home, and as someone who values family above all else, I was not prepared to relocate very far across the country when I had the opportunity to stay in the area.