Avery Dennison

Updated Jan 5, 2015
Updated Jan 5, 2015

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avery Dennison in April 2012.

I was an internal hire, so it was initiated with an e-mail to a department manager, who I knew personally. Interview process contained 4 remote interviews via videoconferencing line. They were mostly case based.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the size of exterior embellishment market in the US   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Avery Dennison in October 2011.

Well I had a interview with two people Oct.17 2011, I thought it went great, the very next morning I got an email that was declined. Doesn't anyone call you anymore. If you are over qualf. don't apply.

GOLD PROGRAM ASSESTMENT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Avery Dennison in October 2011.

Recruiters from my home country came to a career fair on campus. After they read the students resumes, they called a few of us and scheduled an interview 1:2. A week later they sent us an email telling us that we were in the second stage of the hiring process and that we had to fly all expenses paid to OH. In OH we lived the GOLD assestment.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you showed your lidership skills?   View Answer

Inside Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avery Dennison in September 2011.

Called by recruited and had initial phone interview. Then had phone interview with hiring manager, mostly behavioral questions. Then in person interview with hiring manager. Process took about 1 month. You are expected to wear a suit, but the company is very casual.

Negotiate vacation up front

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Avery Dennison in September 2011.

Many rounds of interviews. All behavior questions.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Avery Dennison in June 2011.

I went through thier process, which seemed inefficient:

1st: Phone interview by Avery Dennison HR. 45 minutes.
    2nd: Phone interview by hiring manager. 30 minutes.
    3rd: Phone interview by 2nd HR. 30 minutes.
    4th: All day interview - from 9am to 2pm - includes 45 min one-on-one interviews with 7 different people. All seems to go well, but two were on the fence. This should have been one group interview for an hour or so to not waste everyone's time.

I followed up 4 times a week for the next 3 weeks and was advised I was still being considered (or stringing me along), when I finally got the standard generic email stating I was not longer considered.

Tried to follow up to get more feedback on what exactly I was lacking (as per thier own web site states to do) - and I really wanted feedback to prepare me for further interviews with different companies, but still got a lack of response.

Disappointing, to say the least, in thier lack of communication. Felt I was just strung along for a long time until someone better came along.

Interview Questions
    • Well, since it has been almost a month ago since I was interviewed, I dont remember any specific questions!   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Painesville, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Painesville, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Avery Dennison in April 2011.

Phone interview first then face to face with 3 Department and 1 HR person

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation and how you overcame it   View Answer

Demand Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Avery Dennison in November 2010.

Worked through a recruiter... phone screen with the recruiter, phone screen with the HR Manager, phone screen with the (then) hiring manager, traveled to Greensboro, NC to do a face-to-face interview with the(then) hiring manager along with a Sales VP, Supply Chain Manager, and Customer Service Manager. Then met with the SVP of Sales in Dallas along with the Director of Sales and Operations, and the Sales Strategy Analyst. After getting very positive feedback, was told every couple of weeks that they were very interested in me but doing some internal restructuring. 5 months later was told that an offer had been made to another candidate. A few weeks after that was told that they wanted me to come back in to the sales office in Dallas to interview and that there was a different hiring manager. Went back to the sales office in Dallas and interviewed with the Director of S&OP (again), HR Director, Sales Strategist (again), and Financial Analyst. Got very positive feedback and a verbal offer within a day.

After completing the background check, which includes employment and salary verification, the offer was lowered due to their realization that my stated compensation during the interview process was base + bonus and they thought it was base.

All in all the interview process was very lengthy, a bit unorganized, and wrought with miscommunication - although much of the miscommunication was likely due to the recruiter I was working through at the time.

The company itself seems like a great place to work - the hiring managers I met with were very nice and the position itself seemed like a great opportunity, though I'm not sure AD really knows what they need in terms of demand planning, which is a new function within the RIS division. I did notice that the new job description that has been posted since I declined the position now includes several things I mentioned and discussed during my interviews (CPFR, etc.)

Interview Questions

In my opinion (as a manager) I do not base salary offers on a candidates current salary - especially when it is a different position. That being said, I declined the lower offer from AD as my perception is that my value in the eyes of AD was lowered simply based on my current salary, regardless of what value I could have brought to the position.

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mentor, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mentor, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Avery Dennison in August 2010.

Opportunity came through a local NE Ohio recruiter. Typical process: phone screen with HR. Phone screen with Hiring Manager. Then half day interview schedule with half a dozen stakeholders. Decision was made within a week or two from that.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions really. Just interested in lots of examples where you overcame challenges, failures and unexpected results.   View Answer
    Very quick. Recruiter got me an initial offer. I countered and got 3000 more. Took place in the span of an afternoon once they decided they wanted me.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Avery Dennison in August 2010.

I was contacted after my resume was viewed on Monster.com. I was interviewed by a senior recruiting manager over the phone for about 20 minutes. The interviewer asked "Have you ever had a hiring manager that was impossible to work with?" and "Can you tell me about how you took a consultative approach with your hiring managers" "tell me about a time when you changed a hiring managers mind/influenced their decision"
    I found these questions tough to answer, though I was probably a little underprepared. Every hiring manager's personality is different, and some are difficult and have to be treated with kid gloves, but I've never had an impossible hiring manager. I gave her one such example, but she seemed disappointed. For the second questions, as recruiters we influence our hiring managers every day in how we present them and in our follow-up of how their own interviews went by prompting a discussion that brings out our best candidates strengths. But, again she was looking for something over-the-top. Basically it was one of those interviews where you would have been better off making up a believable but fictitious story of some game-changing situation where the hiring manager was like "I was so blind, but now I see!" So the person has something to write down.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked with an impossible hiring manager?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you changed a hiring manager's mind.   Answer Question