Avis Budget Group

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Avis Budget Group.

Interview Details – There were a couple interviews and personality tests

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had a good employee thinking of leaving the company and how did you convince them to stay   Answer Question

Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Avis Budget Group.

Interview Details – The hiring process is rather long. I filled out an online application. The next day, I was asked by email to complete an online test, with most questions pertaining to character and management style. I then had a telephone interview a few days later, which was followed by an in-person interview with somebody with HR the following week. A week after that, I had an interview with a regional manager. A hiring decision was made three business days later. I was relatively pleased at the avoidance of "gotcha" questions in the interview process. The workplaces I observed at my interview locations appeared to be running relatively smoothly and were not filled with acrimony.

Interview Question – I found the questions about how I have dealt with difficult customers to be rather difficult, particularly having not worked in the rental industry before. I felt my experiences in simple retail, services, and the nonprofit sector were not analogous to what businesses in the rental marked face, and that this negatively impacted my application.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Avis Budget Group

Interview Details – Phone interview was easy.
A couple of in person interviews which really decide on whether you get the job. Do not be afraid to dig into the tough questions such as work hours and benefits. Hiring managers enjoy the competitive nature as well as the drive to succeed through effective time management.

Interview Question – Can you relocate   Answer Question

Interviewed at Avis Budget Group

Interview Details – Applied online and was called by a recruiter and set up an interview date at the airport. Talked to one of the managers about my resume and goals as far as career plans. Interviewed with the Area manager after that and talked about my resume again and he detailed the Operations Manager position and was deciding if the fit would be right.

Interview Question – Asked where I would want to see myself in the company in 5 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non-negotiable

Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Avis Budget Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – I got a lead via career builder for the counter sales position. I applied online and then saw the position for "city manager" and applied for that also. I had a phone interview for both positions via an outsourced company seperately. I then got a call for my face-to-face inerview. I met with the district manager and was interviewed for the city manager position. I was given a test to fill out and return, a bubble test which I had to do online and fill in. was told that if i passed that I would be called back for a second interview. It all worked out and I was called back for my second interview in which he told me about the salary, benefits, and asked if I had any questions. I also did a sales presentation and he remarked that I had a great deal of management experience and that I seemed to be a good fit. I was then given paperwork for my drug test and did paperwork for a background check, credit check and driving record. I was told that if all of those thing panned out I would meet with another manager for a second interview. A full month went by with no word. Come to find out that because I applied for two positions it tied up my application. I then went into the corporate office for my second interview to meet up with the corporate training manager. He then asked me various questions about how I would handle certain challenges and employees. The employees at the airport location where I had my first interview were very nice, laid back and wore uniforms. The employees at corporate were all hidden, I didn't see them. 21 days later I get a call back over the phone with a job offer. I accepted the position.

Interview Question – What has been the most difficult situation when having to deal with re-training employees who are not meeting/exceeding goasl? How did you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate anything. The salary and bonuses were in line with what I was looking for plus I get use of a vehicle and don't have to worry about gas.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avis Budget Group in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, then was contacted by a recruiter with a Phone Interview. Asked basic questions about my work history. She said that she was going to build a profile for me and send it over to the hiring manager. Waited for a week and heard nothing. I knew the hiring manager would be at the airport location so I called asking for the District Manager. He was out of town so I left a message. Never got a call back so I followed up AGAIN and he stated that he never received my information. So I then called the recruiter back and she resubmitted my information to him. Got a call back from the recruiter the next day to set up another phone interview with the DM. DM said the interview went really well and that I would be hearing back from them in the next few days. 15 minutes later I got an email from the recruiter saying that they had decided to go with another candidate...

Interview Questions

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avis Budget Group in May 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email with a phone number to call for a phone interview. The conversation went well and the interviewer was very nice but at the end of the interview, she said "The next step is to schedule a face-to-face interview. Unforturnately, we don't have any available schedule at this time. A recuiter will review your responses and contact you via telephone or email." I think the word "UNFORTUNATELY" is indicating "you are not selected for the next round.

Interview Question – Why did you choose Avis?   Answer Question

Newport Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Avis Budget Group in May 2012.

Interview Details – I receive an E-mail for an interview. Show up on time, but seems like the organization managed by bunch of bimbo and uneducated people. There are no clear picture who suppose doing what. I came in for the interview on time and expected to meet with people that appreciate my valuable time. Came in at 1:00 pm and greeted by somebody (The manager is whispering that "Let so and so do the interview", because he have something to do in his office). I also overheard some managers talking in the hall: Dumb conversation that got nothing to do with work. In the mean time, I waited for 40 minutes and I got tired sitting in a broken and saggy old chair, I approached a manager in her office and I said "Where is my inteviewer?"...She said: "You mean nobody show up all this time.....ooooh I am so sorry bla..blah..blah.."

Finally, One manager came in and said he just came from John Wayne Airport and ready for the interview. Nice gentleman and the interview went well. I was not hired. I guess this is the culture at Avis Budget, but I certainly give this organization an F in treating valuable candidates like I am who have the passion, enthusiasm and an advance degree.

Operations Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at Avis Budget Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – One person, and drug and background test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – None

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Avis Budget Group.

Interview Details – Applied online and then took an online assessment. A recruiting person called me awhile later and did a brief phone interview process. He was extremely nice and personable and made me feel comfortable. He scheduled me with a hiring manager at the location I would be working at. The interview was mostly "tell me about...", with a few behavioral questions here and there. I spoke with about 3 other managers while I was there. Everyone was pretty nice. I got a response a couple of weeks later

They actually opened a new position closer to my home and offered it to me, but I declined due to the hours. He told me upfront that it would be a MINIMUM of 50 hours a week. If he is telling me that in our first interview, I already know it's going to be more like 60, especially during the busy summer months.

I did not hear back from the recruiting guy or manager after stating I was declining the offer and my reasons, which I thought was pretty rude.

Interview Question – What would you do if a Sales Associate is calling you because they are out of cars and they have an irate customer to deal with?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Ridiculous amount of hours for the pay. Wasn't worth it in my opinion. I am not interested in working for a company that overworks its salaried employees in order to save a couple of bucks on overtime.

Worked for Avis Budget Group? Contribute to the Community!