Aviva (United Kingdom) Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Investment Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Aviva (United Kingdom) in November 2008.

I initially learned about the position from a former colleague who now works there. I filled out an online application and soon received a call from HR. They were quite interested in me at the beginning. I was traveling, so the first step was a phone interview with a senior VP, who suggested I submit a bid to do some project work for them as an initial test to determine my fit with the department. I did this, then was scheduled for a personal interview with several people from the company. The interviews went well, although they were somewhat exhausting because I met with a total of about eight people; some one-on-one and others in small groups. Some of the people I interviewed with struck me as extremely inexperienced for the positions they had. For example, one person had actually been a student intern at my previous employer and to the best of my knowledge was not at all qualified for the type of work she was doing for her present employer. In fact, she was actually doing several things that had been my responsibility at the previous company. This made me question the true nature of the job I was seeking. Although everyone was very interested in my background and experience, I had the feeling they were trying to figure out how the other company (their rival) had done things. I generally felt they weren't quite sure what to do with me or how I would fit in the team. This was disappointing, because my former colleague had said they really worked closely with him to customize a good position. They made no such efforts with me beyond telling me I was being considered for two positions. The HR woman finally sent me the salary range for both positions and they were substantially below what I'd been making. She indicated they would be making a decision soon and I was actually fairly hopeful I would get hired. However, about a week went by before I heard from anyone there. The HR woman had left the company by this time, and the new HR person just said I was not chosen for the position. There was no explanation. I never heard further about my project bid. About a month and a half later, I was contacted by four recruiters for the same position, and told they were now going to fill it with a contractor. My name was submitted again, but I never got an interview. I later heard they filled it with a friend of a friend. Then, in the last two weeks, the position reappeared on the company's internet site and I re-applied. However, I am not hopeful I'll even get an interview. Frankly, I no longer care. They seem extremely erratic to me.

Interview Questions
    • Can you extract information from a portfolio manager and turn it into something? How much do you know about fixed income?   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Fairly ad-hoc - interview by the desk of the programme director, next to the vending machine. Asked if I had experience with managing off-shore testers. Reneged on pay offered within two weeks.

one week

Controls Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Aviva (United Kingdom) in March 2012.

Everything was planned by a head hunter. I wasn't too sure whether this role would be suitable for me just by reading the job description but went in for the interview to find out. Interview started off by the senior interviewer detailing roles and responsibilities, which was really helpful to understand acronyms in the job description and get a feel for work at Aviva. Interview itself was quite relaxed, lots of opportunities to ask questions to the interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Identify key controls in a given process (fixed income, etc)   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Aviva (United Kingdom) in February 2010.

1 to 1 interview, had a chat with one an hr employee first, then other vp and partners

Lead Advisor, Claims Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Perth, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Scotland (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Aviva (United Kingdom) in January 2009.

long, not well managed, poor information provided at every stage.

Interview Questions
    • are you able to conform to company policy even when it cannot be explained as being reasonable.   View Answer

existing employee new job - knew it wouldnt be any better

Senior Audit Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Aviva (United Kingdom) in October 2010.

Had multiple rounds of interview. First round was more technical and was oriented towards the know how about the capability of role. It was conducted by two individuals one with technical background and the other more from project management background. It was more or less easy round since i was doing the stuff day in and out. Was called for second round of discussion and this time it was 1:1. Director of the area wanted to again understand similar things. At this point i was under the impression that i cracked the interview but seems they wanted to have a third round which again went fine. In the end they did not made any offer and the recruiter with whom i was coordinating stated they needed a local candidate.

Interview Questions
    • What methodology / framework have you used for your IT audit assessment   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norwich, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwich, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at Aviva (United Kingdom) in November 2008.

Competency based interviews with lots of questions on your competenties like
    1. Ability to work with others
    2. Going beyond call of duty.
    3. Adaptability

Interview Questions
    • Explain when you had to work with an external team to complete a job/project.   Answer Question
    • Explain when you had to take decision that you were not authorised to take. What was the outcome.   Answer Question
    Not much scope in my case as they have a salary band which does not go much beyond what i was earning, infact it was lower. I went for it despite a cut in pay because of its blue chip status.
    Negotiate if you can.

Project Management Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Aviva (United Kingdom) in January 2010.

played card game, testing your values and decision making skills\

where do you see yourself in 5 years?

what do you look for when working in a company? what is most important to you?

Interview Questions

Worked for Aviva (United Kingdom)? Contribute to the Community!