Avon Products

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Average Difficulty
120 candidate interviews

Northampton, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Avon Products in July 2009.

Interview Details – Mostly competency based questions - give us a situation where u used leadership skills to influence team members, where you had to convince senior professionals to arrive at a decision, where you used time management skills to solve complex problems.... interviewees were most graduate students (2nd gap year students)... culture was friendly.... had a new building coming up with a new office

Interview Questions

• Outline a situation that required you to take a particularly quick and definitive decision.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had to take charge of a group of people in order to achieve a particularly important outcome. Give me an example of something you have done to bring out the best in another person or when you created a learning opportunity for someone.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Avon Products in January 2007.

Interview Details – Avon interviews usually happen with HR, followed by category managers and the category VP. It is very much a personality test as much as it is behavioral and a skills assessment. The Avon culture is very consensus driven, and the ability to forge relationships and get buy-in is critical. While eagerness is valued - personalities that are too strong may be a put off in this "nice" culture.

Interview Question – You are told you need to sell 8 purple cars. How would you market them?   Answer Question

Purchasing Interview

Purchasing
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Avon Products in September 2009.

Interview Details – Recruiter knew nothing about the subject matter and asked prepared questions that were taken from the job description. Had limited frame of reference if the candidate was even qualified for the position.

Suspect that the exercise was to "boil the ocean" and I question if there was even a position attached to the interview. 4 qualified collegues interviewed for same position and in each case, some objection was raised that eliminated that person from consideration.

Strongly suspect the age discrimination a contributing factor.

Manager Interview

Manager
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avon Products in March 2009.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening interview - about 45 minutes in length.
Secondary phone interview with immediate supervisor.
Final phone interview with high level manager.
Attended sales meeting as a guest and conducted final interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what prior work experience prepares you for this position?   Answer Question
  • How would you motivate a sales representative that needs encouragement?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – HR would not discuss negotiating salary and was unable to provide details regarding cost/coverage of medical benefits.

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Avon Products in August 2007.

Interview Details – Very easy, standard questions - educational and professional background, why you want to work there, etc

Interview Question – What interests you about Marketing?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Miami, FL

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Avon Products in October 2009.

Interview Details – Was contacted by recruiter retained by the company. First interview was with the HR Manager for Latin America and Central Europe (interview conducted in a hotel lobby). The interviewee kept asking how I would handle a variety of IT related issues, despite the position being executive assistant to the regional vice president. About 6 weeks later I interviewed with the vice president of sales and marketing and again, he asked me what I would do if a blackberry wasn't working, etc. About a month passed and when I contacted the recruiter (who I think knew all along I had not gotten the job), he told me they had selected another candidate who was more comfortable troubleshooting and fixing computer problems. The office in Miami is a satellite office and they were looking for a jack of all trades,basically, They had told me they were going to hire an IT person but apparently thought it was better to kill several birds with one stone.

I am glad I was not offered the position, as I might have taken it and then regretted it. I do not like fixing or troubleshooting computers; that is what an IT department is for. I am surprised a company like Avon would not have an dedicated IT employee.

All in all, they took a long time to make a decision, interviewing in the lobby of a hotel was quite strange to me and I didn't get the feeling they are very professional.

Interview Question – If my boss came to me that his blackberry wasn';t working, what would I do?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

District Sales Manager Interview

District Sales Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Avon Products in December 2008.

Interview Details – Intensive interview process, multiple phone interviews and in-person interview. Personality and management style/skills test, drug test, background check required. Process can be excruciatingly drawn out, particularly if actively seeking employment while unemployed.

Interview Question – tell me about yourself?   View Answer

Production Pl; Anner Interview

Production Pl; Anner
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Avon Products in May 2009.

Interview Details – 1 telephone screening with HR and 3 back to back functional interviews (3 hours of interviewing in one sitting). The people were friendly but clearly frazzled and obviously annoyed by the time away from their desks.

IT Interview

IT

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Avon Products in March 2008.

Interview Details – Inteview 1:1 with the hiring manager and one other person in the dept.

Interview Question – Can't remember it was several years ago.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – There was a travel requirement I was not willing to accept at the time.

Software Interview

Software
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Avon Products in December 2008.

Interview Details – t was very intense and highly unorganized. I arrived at the downtown office and was greeted by HR reps, and given a schedule of my interviews for the day, at three different locations (including a water taxi ride to NJ).

At the first interview, I was rushed upstairs and sat down in an empty conference room and told my scheduled interviewer had not arrived yet. After about fifteen minutes in the room, two employees enter and begin spitting questions at me, including a coding/programming question. When I didn't have an answer they asked me why I even applied for "Programmer" if I couldn't write simple code. I responded saying I wasn't interviewing for programmer, but for a separate back office position. They admitted they had no idea they would even be interviewing applicants, and apologized for the mistake.

The interview was back in the city, and involved 3 separate 1:1 interviews. The first two went very well with all normal behavioral/experience interview questions. The third threw me for a curve ball. I was asked the current stock price of GS for that day (I had no idea, my own fault), as well as 2 case/"brain teaser" questions. 1) There are three light bulbs in a room. The switches corresponding to the bulbs are in a separate room. If you can only go into the light bulb room twice, how can you discern which switch corresponds to which light. 2) You have two pitchers, five and three gallons, how can you find four gallons.

Negotiation Details – no

Worked for Avon Products? Contribute to the Community!