Avon Products

2.9

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sourcing Manager - Indirect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Avon Products in September 2014.

Applied online via Linkedin and received a response within the next few days. HR Talent Acquisition Manager and Coordinator were extremely professional and friendly throughout the process. Entire cycle entailed a 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager, 30 minute phone interview with another Manager in the group, and two onsite interviews each about 1 hour in length. Interview questions were not too difficult and mainly involved my career interests and discussion about the role (as to be expected). Overall a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • What sort of process/change management projects have you worked on?   Answer Question

Had a special circumstance where I was offered a higher position at my present company, but would have taken it if not for this situation

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Avon Products in April 2014.

Interview process seems to be ongoing...

Applied online (March 2014) and get called for phone interview ~3 weeks later (April 2014)

Had an initial phone interview with HR followed by a phone interview with an Executive Director. I got invited to come in for an onsite interview 2 weeks later. I met with 2 Brand Managers, a Global Director, and the HR Manager.

I did not receive any feedback so I reached out (end of April) and was told the position just went on hold but I am still under consideration and I should check back in a month. So I followed up (end of May 2014) and got a response within 5 minutes that the position is still on hold and movement is expected in July and that I should follow up again.

So I followed up end of June and never got a response...no phone call/no email reply/no update to my status online...

Interview Questions
    • We flipped through a fashion magazine and I had to pick an ad and explain what I liked about it and what I did not like and why.   View Answer

Senior Supply Chain Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Avon Products in January 2014.

multiple interviews including a phone interview, a video interview, an onsite interview and a HR interview.They basically try to understand the kind of person you are and if you are a good fit for the firm or not.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Avon Products in December 2013.

Interview and hiring is easy and laid back

Executive Director, Organizational & Talent Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Avon Products in September 2013.

BAIT and SWITCH

i was contacted on LI by the TAM for the position noted above. she requested a resume and i sent one. she proposed a time for an interview.

at the beginning of the interview she mentioned that she was recruiting for several hr/od and changes roles (they are in the midset of a HUGE transformation and erp implementation) in addition to the for which she had contacted me. possibly holistic recruiting approach and all well and good. not so fast...

she asks me to walk her through my resume. it has 20 years of related but varied experience (consultant and practitioner; professional services and industry; public and private sector, firm and corp) so i tried to pinpoint her needs. she didn't really answer the question so i asked where she wanted me to start, grad school, experience 20 years ago, 10 years ago and she seemed to get irritated. hey, vague questions need clarifying lady.

this question bothers me because it is so obtuse and any smart consulting or business person will try to pinpoint the needs of the audience with pointed, specific questions. and we all know how the old "ink blot" test can screw people--the more one talks, explains, describes, the worse the interview goes. so i ask directly are you looking for job/role relevance and specific examples of work and experience (aka targeted selection or behavioral interviewing which is a better predictor of potential success) which related back to the ob or for (what i know to be the more common unstated desire) job transitions.

of course her preference was job transitions (and it irks me that people are unwilling to come out and ask for that up front) so they can play psychologist and assume your motivations for job changes, downtown, gaps etc and erroneously infer they "get it and then pass ill-advised judgement. and this is an attempt to screen people OUT, not in. i learned my lesson long ago you do want to make the answer to this request succinct, crisp, well-organized, positive, and polished, even more so than other role and responsibility related questions. so i get out my script, read it like i am talking not reciting, with confidence and ease, pause after every job to attempt to force follow up questions to get off this trail which almost never works but i still do it.

after i pass the perfunctory, isn't a derelict, has good reasons, rationale, and motivations for changes and transitions, she says, well, we like i said in the beginning, i'm looking for multiple roles and i think you are best suited for an HRBP. TOTAL bait and switch. so i proceed to inquire further, highlight my OD and change experience, leadership experience, org design experience (all documented in the JD) which she tells me was obtained in a consulting environment which is "not as good, no offense" as within industry and despite me redirecting her to my resume, and pointing out my industry employer experiences at the biggest HRO employer in the country, tells me my experience is "too low level" for what she needs, despite all my experience partnering, advising, and executing with C and E level leadership. then says, well, you've jumped around a lot, according to whom exactly, which is actually not true accordinly to industry research and averages about employment duration not to mention that each of the roles i accepted were part of a strategic plan to not pigeon hole me experience like trainers and generalists do.

so when i asked if she had any plans to consider me for which she initially contacted me, she asked why, and i stated that despite having a rich varied experience in different hr/talent mgt functional areas in different role capacities, that given i was an hrbp for several years 6 years ago, i was no longer at that level, not interested, and thus not looking for hrbp jobs.

i thanked for contacting me, apologized for wasting "her" time, and said i needed to prep for a call coming up in 15 minutes because i knew i would never want to deal with her again from a TA/recruiting standpoint. noting that i had spoken with her before many months ago for a cm position she had reached out to me for where she got stuck on my unwillingness to give a last salary detail of more than low 6 figures which can mean nothing more than a 20 MAYBE 30k variance 100-120 MAYBE 125-130 which we all know starts touching mid 100s.

way too many people in TA have terrible non best practices skill sets. and its worse when they're dealing with someone in that field. SHAMEFUL. (by the way, i looked at her LI profile, she changes/ed jobs on average, every 1-2 years and had the nerve to comment on places of employment 4, 6 and 4 years respectively not counting 1 project finite contract job.

Interview Questions
    • walk me through your resume
      are you interested in an hrbp position?
      literally this was it because i pre-empted the call.

View Answer

Change Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Avon Products in June 2013.

I was first contacted by Avon's recruiter for a phone screen.
    Two round interview process. The first round was a group interview and the second round was with one of the hiring managers.

Analytical Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suffern, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suffern, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Avon Products in February 2013.

Applied Online. Two weeks later contacted by a recruiter at the Suffern, NY location. Scheduled a phone interview that day. Six days later went in for the first round interview. Talked to HR, hiring manager, Executive Director and a manager from another department. Called in for a second round interview for the following week. Talked to a VP, hiring manager and executive director again. Got an offer 4 days later.

Interview Questions
    • They had me draw some organic structures. Not difficult but unexpected.   Answer Question
    No negotiation necessary. Very competitive offer.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Avon Products in March 2012.

My initial interview was through an agency. I then had a phone interview with the in-house recruiter which turned out to be about 1/2 hour. I was then contacted through my agency to set up an interview with 5 people.
    I met with 4 people who would have been my colleagues and one which would have been my manager.
    The internal recruiter was not in the day of my interview and no one had an answer as to why she did not communicate her absence. After meeting with 2 people I was to meet with my potential manager but he could not be found. All of these interviewers had been emailed + set up through their shared calendar.
    The first person I met with was great. She was down to earth and shared a great deal about the process.
    The others were not too memorable except for one who appeared bothered by the fact that he had to interview someone that day. My potential manager was finally located. He said it was not on his calendar which everyone thought odd. in the end I had a pleasant interview with him. It was 3-4 hours in total.

Interview Questions
    • Your last full-time position was a VP role with a large staff, Tell me why you are interested in a lower level managerial role with a few direct reports.   Answer Question
    • What was the most fulfilling project you worked on.   Answer Question

Business Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Avon Products in January 2012.

Applied online, HR phone screening, hiring manager phone interview, 1:1 interviews on site with 3 different managers (half day session). Overall process took about 2 months

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the most challenging aspect of the direct selling industry?   Answer Question
    Able to negotiate, however had to play the game to get what I wanted

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Avon Products in October 2011.

They were hiring for multiple Associate Brand Manager positions so I met with representatives from three departments (color, skin care and fragrance) . The interviews were all fairly similar. Each started with a "give me a bit of your background" question. After explaining my education, professional experience and work style they asked further questions regarding my background. There was a heavy emphasis on corporate structure and each interviewer made it a point to explain where this position would fall and who is above, below and on the same level. Each asked why I was interested in beauty and why specifically Avon.