Axia

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Axia in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with the head of the project, who then called me into their office in Boston. I went through three rounds of interviews with three different people who asked me about my resume and then asked me various questions about the position, with a highlight on working with excel. After interviewing with the three people, I was finished with the interview.

Interview Question – The most difficult question that I received was in regards to litigation. The question was: You are working with a firm which has high litigation costs and works with multiple law firms. How would you go about decreasing litigation costs?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interviewed at Axia

Interview Details – One hour first round interview involving a case study and then some personal questions. The case was a very straightforward profit estimation case but very few numbers were given so candidates had to make a lot of assumptions.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Axia in November 2012.

Interview Details – Only one phone screening with a manager in Boston:
-Not further rounds, and I was told that the recruiting season already finished.
-The interviewer asked me to called him to his office or cell

Interview Question – - I was asked about my experience in consulting, and I told him that I just left a consulting company some months ago for a better offer in another industry, but I wanted to comeback to consulting again
- Next question was, what kind of projects are you doing now, is that different than consulting? My answer was yes.. it is different, I am doing more money, but I want to come back to consulting
- After hearing this he told me that there were not positions available for experienced consultants as myself, and that all recruiting efforts are for new to the industry people, those who come from school.
- He offer me to be included in the contracting database they have, and apparently about 30% of all personnel works on contracting-temporary bases
  View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Axia in October 2011.

Interview Details – Axia was very organized throughout the whole process. The people at the firm are friendly, fun, and seemingly very competent. One of the best interview processes I've had.

1st interview:
On campus with a Principal. Great guy. Very genuine - not trying to sell you something you don't want. 30 minute behavioral/fit. 30 minute case. Fairly easy case here. Case was unstructured, so it allowed for quite a bit of creativity, which was nice.

2nd interview/final round:
Boston offices. Once again, they were on top of their game. All consultants were cheery, even though it was a Saturday morning. Office ordered in lunch for the interviewees and a number of consultants of all levels (AC through principal/partner). One of the principals at the firm is particularly personable and had me sold on the firm with the exception of the Boston location (more of a New York person).

4 interviews with different consultants (an AC, a consultant, a sr. consultant, and a principal). 2 behavioral, 2 case. Market sizing and revenue/cost forecasting-type questions. These cases were more challenging than the case during the first round. One case was particularly challenging, both quant heavy and pretty theoretical; tough but fair.

Culture at the firm seemed pretty sweet. Consultants here are the type you'd want to grab a few beers with after work.

Interview Question – Predict annual profit of [insert company].   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Didn't want to live in Boston

Boston, MA

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Axia in October 2009.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of three rounds:

1st round: 2 phone interviews - 1 hour each; 30 minutes for behavioral questions/company fit and the other 30 minutes were for the case interview. Both cases dealt with market sizing and cost/revenue problems

2nd round: 2 more phone interviews - exactly the same as the 1st round

3rd round: Office interview with the 2 partners of the firm; primarily company fit questions; "small" case questions, like "create the income statement for a restaurant"

Interview Question – Typical market sizing problems and identifying revenue/cost problems   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation; I tried to bump up my base salary because I had more experience than similar past hires but the firm would not budge. I had to accept the offer received as-is.

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Axia in August 2008.

Interview Details – The interviews consisted of 2 background & fit interviews and 2 fit & case interviews. The case studies were fair and balanced - consistent with what I'd expect from a strategy consultancy. Two things to note:

1) They don't seem to do strategy. They spoke to me a lot about the great strategic sourcing work they did, which was a complete turn-off.

2) They really need to be selective with who they allow to do interviews. While most of their staff were very pleasant and professional, one of my interviewers was rather abrasive and clearly not on message with the rest of the firm. This could have been related to this interviewer being relatively new to the firm (< 6 months), but it is by no means an acceptable execuse for the interviewer's behavior.

Interview Question – One "case" interview was actually quite interesting. The interviewer came in with a recent article from a major newspaper. The article made an aggressive stance on a current issue, and backed up the stance with a significant amount of data points. The interviewer questioned the veracity of the claims being made, and asked me how I might go about proving or disproving the author's case.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Axia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Axia interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Axia employees and interview candidates.