B & H Foto & Electronics

Relevance Date Difficulty

Copywriter Interview

Copywriter
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics.

Interview Details – Interviewed by a well-heeled Senior Copywriter, who had done his research ahead of time.
Interview was mainly focused on the craft and skill of writing in different forms
re: short form, bullet form, long form.

Interview Question – Pretty straightforward. Senior copywriter mainly concerned with me being able to do the job on deadline and reliably.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty straightforward. Little room for negotiation based on experience.
They already had an idea of how much they were going to offer
for the job.

Sales Professional Interview

Sales Professional

Interviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics

Interview Details – They first started me with people from HR and then they took me to the store where I talk to their managers and we talked about what happens in the position.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Unix Systems Administrator Interview

Unix Systems Administrator
New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics.

Interview Details – Spoke with HR. Had first and only interview onsite. Bunch of technical questions by three guys for about an hour. I showed my enthusiasm and that showed a lot of positive character of me. Technical questions weren't that hard. They were average.

Interview Question – They asked how many system boards can be inserted in specific hardware that I didn't know the answer to.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Spoke to HR person on the phone. I asked for $5000 bump and they willing accepted on the spot.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
New York, NY

Interview Details – B&H's corporate office is a block away from the store (440 9th ave). The occupy several floors but the main floor is the third floor. You can get and submit your application there. Once you've been called for an interview this is where you will go. I had to go back for two interviews because they needed me to meet with someone who wasn't available during my first interview. They called me a week later to offer me the position.

Negotiation Details – They offered me a starting salary and I foolishly took them up on what they offered (which I later found out was lower than it should have been).

Very Difficult Interview

Video Editing Interview

Video Editing
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics in June 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process is usually very short and includes one person from HR and a department manager. Difficulty depends on the department, cameras is probably the most inquisitive, but if you are the right person it should not be a problem. They will dig into your past employers, related hobbies and trends in your industry.

Interview Question – They will ask a specific question on a major manufacturer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is important. They appreciate the process and will give to those who ask.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics.

Interview Details – After a phone contact, a appointment was set for an interview

Negotiation Details – was quick, after a first offer from them, I asked for a higher offer and they accepted

Pro Photo Sales Position Interview

Pro Photo Sales Position
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through posting on Craiglist. Was called and invited for interview. Was interviewed 3 different times.
2 times in September and a last time in November. Would wait in office to be called in. Each time I waited longer then expected, the interviewer would be late and I would receive an apology.

The 1st interview went fairly well, but I felt I was being drilled about camera mechanics. I was also left in the office for 10 minutes alone in the middle of the interview. Was offered another position.

2nd interview I again was waiting to be interviewed later then expected time. Interviewer was friendly and shared much interest. Was told I would hear back from them soon. Soon didn't happen. Position offered originally from the 1st interview

3rd interview was about 2 months later. Again I waited and brought in longer then expected to be interviewed. I was given an excuse that the Jewish holiday in October delayed the process. I expected to be hired by the 3rd interview but wasn't. I never heard back from them.

Interview Question – Can you tell me what you would recommend to a dentist photographing teeth?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Writer Interview

Writer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics in September 2011.

Interview Details – Highlight: They wanted me to write sample copy for them, but would not tell me the salary range of the job for which I was applying. When I pressed, they said they couldn't tell me the salary because they didn't know it, and could not obtain this information until later in the hiring process.
An astonishingly unprofessional experience form their very first contact. The HR person was rushed and distracted on the phone and said, "Come in Thursday," without saying the exact date or giving me time to confirm the date. (No adult professional makes an appointment that way - there's too much chance of confusion.) At the interview, the same HR person started describing the job, which was not the one I applied for. When I pointed that out he said that job did not exist; I then specified the job I'd applied for, which turned out not to be the one he was telling me did not exist. In fact, the job I applied for did exist, but he seemed unable to get these facts straight and do anything about them. The next person who interviewed me had a disheveled appearance and a total lack of manners that was shocking an hard to justify in any professional setting. They wanted me to write sample copy right then and there, which I knew might happen, and I declined. They sent me items to write sample copy about, but when I asked about the salary range for the job I was applying for, they were unresponsive. When I pushed, they said they didn't have that information! I pressed further and they said those decisions are made by payroll later on in the process. I have never heard of applying for a job without knowing the salary range!

Interview Question – "What have you done in your career?" (Asked in a way that indicated they had really no idea who I was or why I was there.)   View Answer

Sales Interview

Sales
New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics in June 2009.

Interview Details – It's very casual but dress up for it. They interview about three times, and just ask you basic interview questions. Who are you? How would you respond is XYZ situation? Etc Etc. Anyone who's interviewed for a job before can get through it if you just don't say anything ridiculous.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at B&H?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It took about 2 days. Ask for more money than they offer. They like to haggle with you, be firm with it because you're not gonna get a raise any time soon, and forget abot promotions.

IT Support Interview

IT Support

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics in September 2009.

Interview Details – My position had more than one applicant so it took longer than usual. I was abe to speak to someone in the department first and was able to get a sense of what it was like on the inside before theinterview. The interviews itself were very staightforward. Basic situational questions and of course why do I want to work at B&H and what can I do for the company. You need to be honest and aggressive and be able to toot your own horn. Otherwise, you wont survive here.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you over the next guy?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes you can negotiate but start out with a higher desired salary. Be firm but reasonable.

Worked for B & H Foto & Electronics? Contribute to the Community!