B & H Foto & Electronics

3.2

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics.

Interviewed by a well-heeled Senior Copywriter, who had done his research ahead of time.
    Interview was mainly focused on the craft and skill of writing in different forms
    re: short form, bullet form, long form.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straightforward. Senior copywriter mainly concerned with me being able to do the job on deadline and reliably.   Answer Question
    Pretty straightforward. Little room for negotiation based on experience.
    They already had an idea of how much they were going to offer
    for the job.

Unix Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics.

Spoke with HR. Had first and only interview onsite. Bunch of technical questions by three guys for about an hour. I showed my enthusiasm and that showed a lot of positive character of me. Technical questions weren't that hard. They were average.

Interview Questions
    • They asked how many system boards can be inserted in specific hardware that I didn't know the answer to.   Answer Question
    Spoke to HR person on the phone. I asked for $5000 bump and they willing accepted on the spot.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

B&H's corporate office is a block away from the store (440 9th ave). The occupy several floors but the main floor is the third floor. You can get and submit your application there. Once you've been called for an interview this is where you will go. I had to go back for two interviews because they needed me to meet with someone who wasn't available during my first interview. They called me a week later to offer me the position.

They offered me a starting salary and I foolishly took them up on what they offered (which I later found out was lower than it should have been).

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics in February 2013.

Previous job responsibilities? Do you deal well with people? How have you resolved a difficult situation in the past? Please provide details. Have you ever lost your temper? And some product knowledge questions where asked as well.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics.

After a phone contact, a appointment was set for an interview

was quick, after a first offer from them, I asked for a higher offer and they accepted

Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics in September 2011.

Highlight: They wanted me to write sample copy for them, but would not tell me the salary range of the job for which I was applying. When I pressed, they said they couldn't tell me the salary because they didn't know it, and could not obtain this information until later in the hiring process.
    An astonishingly unprofessional experience form their very first contact. The HR person was rushed and distracted on the phone and said, "Come in Thursday," without saying the exact date or giving me time to confirm the date. (No adult professional makes an appointment that way - there's too much chance of confusion.) At the interview, the same HR person started describing the job, which was not the one I applied for. When I pointed that out he said that job did not exist; I then specified the job I'd applied for, which turned out not to be the one he was telling me did not exist. In fact, the job I applied for did exist, but he seemed unable to get these facts straight and do anything about them. The next person who interviewed me had a disheveled appearance and a total lack of manners that was shocking an hard to justify in any professional setting. They wanted me to write sample copy right then and there, which I knew might happen, and I declined. They sent me items to write sample copy about, but when I asked about the salary range for the job I was applying for, they were unresponsive. When I pushed, they said they didn't have that information! I pressed further and they said those decisions are made by payroll later on in the process. I have never heard of applying for a job without knowing the salary range!

Interview Questions
    • "What have you done in your career?" (Asked in a way that indicated they had really no idea who I was or why I was there.)   View Answer

Pro Photo Sales Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics in September 2011.

Applied through posting on Craiglist. Was called and invited for interview. Was interviewed 3 different times.
    2 times in September and a last time in November. Would wait in office to be called in. Each time I waited longer then expected, the interviewer would be late and I would receive an apology.

The 1st interview went fairly well, but I felt I was being drilled about camera mechanics. I was also left in the office for 10 minutes alone in the middle of the interview. Was offered another position.

2nd interview I again was waiting to be interviewed later then expected time. Interviewer was friendly and shared much interest. Was told I would hear back from them soon. Soon didn't happen. Position offered originally from the 1st interview

3rd interview was about 2 months later. Again I waited and brought in longer then expected to be interviewed. I was given an excuse that the Jewish holiday in October delayed the process. I expected to be hired by the 3rd interview but wasn't. I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me what you would recommend to a dentist photographing teeth?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics in June 2009.

It's very casual but dress up for it. They interview about three times, and just ask you basic interview questions. Who are you? How would you respond is XYZ situation? Etc Etc. Anyone who's interviewed for a job before can get through it if you just don't say anything ridiculous.

Interview Questions
    It took about 2 days. Ask for more money than they offer. They like to haggle with you, be firm with it because you're not gonna get a raise any time soon, and forget abot promotions.

Video Editing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at B & H Foto & Electronics in June 2009.

The interview process is usually very short and includes one person from HR and a department manager. Difficulty depends on the department, cameras is probably the most inquisitive, but if you are the right person it should not be a problem. They will dig into your past employers, related hobbies and trends in your industry.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask a specific question on a major manufacturer   Answer Question
    Negotiation is important. They appreciate the process and will give to those who ask.