BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

3.2

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence in October 2014.

Telephone call inviting to interview the day after applying online. Asked about knowledge of the role and given further information about Applied Intelligence and Detica.
    1st interview a week later, went through technical and interpersonal skills highlighted in my CV. Discussed areas of the company I had an interest in and where I could see myself fitting in. Ended with a simple calculations based scenario.
    Very friendly, easy to talk to and insightful interviewer.
    Called for a 2nd technical interview three days later, booked for the near future.

Interview Questions
    • Standing at a point on the River Thames, how many litres of water will past you in 24 hours?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence.

Telephone interview to walk through CV, followed by two face to face interviews. Final interview included giving a presentation on a project I'd worked on. First interview was about CV, in detail, and understanding my capabilities. Second was grilling on projects I'd worked on. I came in as and experienced hire.

Interview Questions
    I got the salary I'd asked for. In hindsight I should have gone higher.

Business and Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence.

Initial 1:1 interview lasted about 45 minutes. Asked a few mathematical problem solving questions (same as bellow- how much water flows past a given point at the thames in 24hrs). Then just went through my CV quite standard.

Second interview 1.5hrs long including presentation - HR said to email in with any specific requirements so i told them i need both an internet connection and to be able set my macbook up to the projector. I got neither so had to give the presentation on my mac. Rest was very similar to whats already been described. Still haven't heard anything back, interview was over 5 weeks ago and I've emailed their HR twice asking for an update and both time got the reply "We hope to have the results shortly"
    I'm not optimistic, but will keep at their HR until i get some news. Would not recommend applying to Detica, HR are pathetic and seems to be a waste of both my time and the employees dragged in to give interviews

Interview Questions
    • Benefits of having Detica Consultants working in clients office?   Answer Question

Business Analyst/Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence in November 2012.

This interview was a run down on what I understood about the role, the company, and the department. They also went through my CV and my current position and asked questions on how it may link in to the position they have available. It lasted 1 hour.

My biggest gripe with them is that it took them 4 weeks to arrange the interview once they had asked for my availability. Then they took 2 weeks to give me any form of feedback, and I had to chase three times. Call me bitter, but I would probably have turned them down anyway had they not got in there first!

Really nice central London office though.

Graduate IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence in November 2012.

1st Round Interview
    Due to the distance I had it via Skype. Lasted about 50 minutes. The nicest interview I've had so far. Interviewer was very helpful, polite. Many questions about my CV, competency based questions (teamwork, problem solving, idea generating revenue, motivation). A few technical questions, nothing tricky (what is OOP, difference from procedural programming, development cycle). I was asked about my final-year project. And of course about my Detica knowledge.

Interview went really well and a day later I received a phone call saying I progressed to the 2nd round.

GTI recruitment agency that Detica is outsourcing recruitment to - very friendly people, constantly in touch with me, ready to help.

2nd Round Interview
    Conducted in London office. Relaxed atmosphere, both interviewers quite young, very polite. Started with some questions about my CV, then moved to the presentation. They seemed very interested in my presentation, asked lots of questions throughout the presentation, tried to see flaws in the solution. It lasted about 30 minutes. Then I was given a case study, linked to the team I applied to. The problem did not involve any technical knowledge, just logical thinking. After that we moved to more technical bit - I had to solve a programming puzzle. Very similar to the ones asked by Microsoft a few years back.

Interview Questions
    • Programming puzzle. Didn't solve it, but at least spent a decent amount of time trying out different solution and thinking out loud. I think the important thing is not to give up and say "I can't do it".   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence.

Recommended twice for two position through one of their prefered recruiters,
    The internal HR department is useless, I did gain one interview directly but only after a recruiter had first pestered them and they discovered I had already applied - applying directly normally a waste of time,

1st Stage 1:1 interview, 2nd Stage panel / presentation interview.
    The first stage is simply a review of your CV (it is impossible to fail)
    Detica hire primarily graduates so you will be treated like one regardless of your experience.
    Make sure you still actually remember what you studied at university.

You are invited back for a 2nd Interview panel interview with different people.
    Again you will need to repeat everything said in the 1st interview with regards to your CV.
    The presentation is largely a waste of time, spend no more than 10 minutes on it.
    Make it quick/clean and unmemorable.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence in October 2012.

Initial application through recruitment agent. Initial 1:1 telephone interview- fast paced 50 min run down of CV, motivation, knowledge of company, brain teaser (how many tennis balls can you fit into a car?), case study. Through to second, face to face interview- 2 hours long and basically a drawn out version of the phone interview plus a presentation. Rather unprepared interview panel who basically admitted they drew the short straw for interviewing that day as they had a free window prior to a team meeting. Lead interviewer faffed around for ages poring over his company interview guide, never quite sure what he was asking. Second interviewer stayed silent throughout except to throw in a question about how many burgers McDonald's sell a day. Absolute rubbish interview and unbelievable choppy case study where bits were asked and other bits left out as they were 'totally outdated' according to the lead interviewer. Didn't get an offer, apparently due to concerns around not being able to apply skills to a new domain. Given the fact the role involved almost exactly the same skills in the same sector I have been working successfully in for the last 4 years, totally unbelievable. Appreciate this may sound like sour grapes, but I'm honestly baffled by the seeming incompetence of their interview process and interview panel and some of the inane questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • How many McDonald's burgers are sold in the UK? - required on-the-spot calculations. A complete eyeball rolling situation and I momentarily wondered if I'd stepped into a wannabe Google employer.   Answer Question

Principal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence in August 2011.

Initial telephone interview was basically a walk through of my CV, no particularly difficult questions. It is really more of a screening process. The second interview is more challenging, you have to prepare a presentation on a business topic you have worked on recently. The presentation is up to 20 minutes long, this will be followed by a very thorough Q&A. Then more general questions around your experience will follow.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to draw up a business process model for an area I had never worked on!   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence in March 2011.

First interview very easy and basically pointless. More like a sales pitch about the company. I did lots of talking but simply because that is good interview technique, rather than because it was required. Getting a second interview pretty much a given. First interviewer made out that no programming experience was required. Second interview with two interviewers. Appalling planning by HR team. Second interview quite difficult, asked lots of questions in depth about CV (easy), case study where they had specific things they wanted you to say (difficult-ish), presentation (asked lots of questions throughout, including some extremely banal things, was quite frustrating that they often interrupted for no real reason, though this went well). Turns out the whole thing was a waste of mine and their time since although they liked me, liked my presenting skills, liked pretty much everything (was told this when told the result - though not sure how reliable this was but it all seemed to go well). Problem was that I didn't have enough programming experience so technically wouldn't be able to do the job (despite being told that no prior required - and this was all taught). Complete waste of time really. Company is also quite disorganised (just check out the numerous spelling/grammar mistakes on the website!) Put time into the other big consultancy firms instead is my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • simple case study about how an executive for a business might respond in a certain situation   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence in August 2010.

CV was so good that they said forget the interview, and got me straight in for a 1 on 1. This was an informal chat with a simple programming style question which I passed despite no programming knowledge. Later called back to give a presentation for 20 minutes followed by around an hour personality and technical assessment. Later seeing this process behind the scenes once I worked there, it became clear that interviewers were not interested in the presentation part of the interview, so as long as you sound like you know what you are talking about, don't worry about it.