BAE Systems USA Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.5

SAS Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BAE Systems USA (Washington, DC).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter. Then phone interviewed by a senior SAS developer, asked some basic questions about SAS/BASE. The lady was really nice. No difficult questions at all.
    After few days there's an on-site interview. Just repeated some of the SAS/BASE questions, asked about my experience on the resume. A week later there's an offer sent from the recruiter.
    In a word, very nice experience of interview. The recruiter was very responsible and active.

Intelligence Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BAE Systems USA.

Interview

The job interview was basically an opportunity for the company to verify my experience largely gained in a combat zone. The company wanted to know what kind of analysis I had performed for the military and my knowledge of the political/security environment in particular areas. Overall the interview was good.

Interview Questions

• Wanted to know my knowledge of the security/political environment.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BAE Systems USA.

Interview

Met with 2 members, 1 of which was the team lead. They sat me down in the team lead's office and described the job responsibilities, benefits, and what a typical work week would be like.

Interview Questions

• There are 3 light bulbs on a board in the middle of a room with no outlets, all 3 of which function correctly. One light is out, how do you troubleshoot?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at BAE Systems USA.

Interview

The interview process was unusual. The interview was rescheduled due to a business issue the day before. I had to ask if it was in person or by phone and it was by phone. The conference call number they gave me never connected. After 5 minutes I received a call from the interviewers who called me directly after they couldn't connect on the conference call. The focus was on my previous experience and what they did. The interview lasted for an hour after which I didn't hear anything for three or four weeks. I was then called with an offer. I never did an in person interview which I thought would have been required before an offer was extended.

Interview Questions

They offered me a 1.8% salary increase but I would have lost 1% of 401(k) matching from my current employer and two weeks of vacation. When I asked about negotiating vacation or pay they immediately responded that they did not negotiate vacation and they were going with another candidate.

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auburn Hills, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BAE Systems USA (Auburn Hills, MI).

Interview

Multiple Mini Interviews with Senior/Staff engineers. Each interview with 1-2 staff engineers was about 10 minutes. Different interviewers asked different types of questions. Not terribly stressful which means a lot of the offers are based on personality/how well they think you mesh with people in the team.

Interview Questions

• How do you solve problems?   1 Answer

Technical Intern II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Totowa, NJ

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BAE Systems USA (Totowa, NJ).

Interview

Several short technical interviews, focused on technical knowledge rather than problem solving.
    One behavioral interview with basics like "why do you want to work here." Got asked "are you an alpha?" which was a bit weird.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation phase

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BAE Systems USA (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I applied online and received an email the next day scheduling me for an on-site interview the following week. The email I received stated the date and time and asked me to respond....which I did. Then, the next day I received the same email and responded (again). Day #3 comes...can you guess? Yes, I received the SAME email AGAIN asking me to respond, plus another email from one of the HR bosses asking me to respond, plus a voicemail. I was able to get through to one of them and show how I had responded to the same nonsense 3 days in a row, at which point they apologized for the mix up. Whatever, mistakes happen.

I got the security clearance form, filled it out and sent it back. Two days before the interview, I receive an email from the corporate recruiter asking me some questions, to which I responded immediately. I then receive a response saying "Thank you, if there is further interest in your resume, we will contact you." Ummmm...ok...? I asked her if this meant I should not attend the previously scheduled (and confirmed) interview, to which she then apologized and said she overlooked that I was already scheduled. Not a fantastic start....incredibly bloated and disorganized from the get-go.

So anyway, I go to the interview in San Diego. It was me and another guy interviewing for the same position. Right off the bat, we're both dressed like complete clowns in "Business Professional" attire (full on suits and ties) while everyone else in the building is wearing jeans and t-shirts, all of whom were trying not to laugh too openly as they walked by and glanced at us.

A total of 5 interviews took place. The first was with a lady that gave a PowerPoint presentation on the company and described the culture. #2 was with a senior software engineer for one of the (many) projects. He was pretty serious but easy enough to interview with. Next came another tech lead for the same project, who was generally much friendlier and laid back. Third was a head systems engineer who asked the behavioral questions. Finally, we were taken to lunch with another guy who we were able to just speak casually with.

They said I would hear back in a week, which came and went with no response. At week 2 I emailed the corporate recruiter point-of-contact and inquired about the status. At this point I had other offers on the table and I was starting to get irritated by having to postpone decisions due to BAE Systems' blatant disorganization. The recruiter didn't write me back, even though she usually responds within a couple minutes to an email. A few days later I email her yet again, to which she doesn't respond (AGAIN). At this point I wrote the company off and accepted another offer. About a week later I receive an email from the recruiter with canned nonsense about how the hiring manager "has decided to move forward in the process with another candidate that more closely matches the skillsets that are needed for this position." LOL!

I've been rejected from plenty of jobs, but this one really blew my mind. The reason is that I don't see how anyone could have possibly interviewed better for the project that those two engineers were leading. I know the other guy I interviewed with was into stuff like android apps and web design, while I was more specialized with low-level programming and graphics APIs like OpenGL and DirectX (exactly what that particular project was engaged in).

I honestly think the rejection was yet another fantastic blunder on the part of HR and the corporate recruiters. It's impossible to say what actually happened, but I can be fairly certain that the hiring manager did not reject me. At this point it no longer mattered since I accepted another offer, but I found the entire disorganization to be both distasteful and off-putting. I don't see myself ever applying to another defense contractor if this is what one can expect when working with such corporations.

Interview Questions

• "Technical" Questions: How to you allocate and deallocate memory in C/C++? Are you familiar with generics? What is polymorphism? What is inheritance and why is it important? How do you pull objects from a database?

Behavioral/Personality Questions: What are your strengths? Why are you here? What are your weaknesses? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

Answer Question

Test Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BAE Systems USA (Nashua, NH) in May 2015.

Interview

Sat at a table with two engineers, they asked me questions and seemed to not be interested in me very quickly. I needed to have more practice with interviewing. If I could get a 2nd chance I feel I would do better

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BAE Systems USA (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with the whole Cost and Estimating Department. It was about 40 minutes long. They mostly questioned me about my resume content and prior experiences. It was uncomfortable in the beginning but everyone was very friendly and inviting that it made easing into the interview simple.

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BAE Systems USA.

Interview

I had a one hour telephone interview with my prospective supervisor. This was a fairly general question and answer about my previous experiences and skills. Typical questions about why I was leaving my current job. He also asked how I thought I would fit in going to such a large corporate enviornnment from such a small company. I was led to believe that working from home remotely would be acceptable in the event of weather issues. This was soon found to be a problem.

Interview Questions

• Why am I leaving my current job   1 Answer