BBC Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.3

Accountant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at BBC in July 2013.

asked questions about my background and what I would bring to the table. Also asked my strengths and weaknesses in regards to the business and business professional lifestyle. They liked my interest in marketing which was shocking for an accountant role. So talk up marketing

Digital Producer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BBC in November 2012.

one phone interview and one on site interview.
    All questions are simple, just be familiar with your resume and your technical skills.

Sales Operation Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at BBC in September 2007.

First I got a call from the HR contact and did a very brief phone interview. She asked that I come in for an in-person interview. Since I was living out-of-state at the time (they are based in NYC), my time was limited to only days I knew I was already planning on being in NYC. When I went in for the interview, I met with the same HR contact. She was dressed in a hoodie sweatshirt, a skirt and flip flops. I was surprised at the lack of professionalism at such a large, reputable company. The first face-to-face meeting was pretty short. The HR contact told me (after at one point saying the word “sh*t”) she wanted me to meet with the sales director the following day, but she wouldn’t know of the exact time until later that day so she would call me. She did call me later and asked for a 9am interview. The following day, at 8:45am when I was already outside the building, I got a call cancelling that interview and asking if I could come in around 3pm (a definite time was not scheduled because she wasn’t sure if the sales director would want to leave early given it was a Friday). So she asked that I call ½ hour before I come. I thought this was very unusual and highly unprofessional, but I wanted the job so I agreed. At 2:30 I called and she said they I would not be meeting the sales director in person after all, but instead would do a series of phone interviews the following week. At this point, I was not interested in this position or BBC America anymore. No phone interviews were ever done.

Interview Questions
    • Describe my current responsibilities (very easy interview, lasting about 15 minutes).   Answer Question

Team Assistant Interview

Very competency based...make sure you read job spec and have examples of similar things in previous work.
    The bbc board is very rigid, this is supposedly to do with fair selection but is most just typical bbc bull and ensures that most people hired fit the expected mould but anyways... Do you research before hand on the above and you will be fine.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Pretty standard stuff, research the area you are interviewing for   Answer Question

Press Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BBC in April 2014.

I had to fill out quite a lengthy online application form initially. I received a phone call inviting me to an interview, followed by an email giving me directions, then another phone call to confirm the interview date.

Part one of the interview was a writing test. I was also given a series of potential scenarios and I had to sort them into order of priority.

Part two was an interview with two people. They were both polite and professional.

I received a phone call telling me that I hadn't been offered the job. The HR person who called said that I could have feedback if I wanted and that she would like to consider me for another position. She said that she would send me details but never did.

I emailed to ask about the feedback and the other potential job but received no reply. Although the interview process itself was fairly smooth, I am voting negative overall. Feedback is very helpful and rarely given (in my experience) so to offer it and then not follow up is disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • It was something like: "What are the three main characteristics of the BBC brand?"   Answer Question

Runner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at BBC in March 2014.

I came for an interview within two hours of contacting the production manager. The interview was with the PM and series producer and was very informal. They were very keen and interested in my past experiences and seemed inpressed with my CV (mainly because I was a reliable driver). I had a list of days that I needed to finish early due to family commitments for the duration of the job and they were very open and understanding about that. There were no tough questions in a typical interview way, it was more a casual chat. I was offered the job about an hour later.

Interview Questions
    I had to negotiate my pay with the talent manger and was given the offer that I asked for.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hammersmith, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hammersmith, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at BBC in May 2014.

One phone interview. 2 on-site interviews on same day in White City. First was 2 managers discussing experience and working practices (90 minutes). They're looking for agile. Second was collaborative coding test (60 minutes).

Interview Questions
    • Only 1 programming question: Conway's Game Of Life implementation in collaboration with another programmer, in language of your choice.   View Answer

Junior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BBC in March 2014.

My interview was conducted by two interviewers (BBC interviews always have more than one interviewer), a Producer/Director and a Production Manager.

The Production Manager was very friendly but the PD was slightly disinterested and took two phone calls during the interview. I was also kept waiting for 30 to 40 minutes as they overran on the interview before mine.

The interviewers fired questions at me and made a note of my answers. They have to ask all interviewees the same questions to be fair so they rattled through the questions on their list (this isn’t meant as a negative- the questions were challenging but thought-provoking and were a good test of candidates). I was asked lots of questions to do with Editorial guidelines- what would you have to be aware of in this scenario etc? (Giving the person the opportunity to reply to any accusations is always key as is determining whether any informants have an ulterior motive for their claims.)

Make sure you can justify your ideas. I had submitted two programme ideas and had to talk the interviewers through them again.

They also asked me what resources I would use to help research stories and find contributors.

Interview Questions
    • Questions covered a wide range of editorial guidelines and how you would react to unexpected and potentially legally sensitive situations.   Answer Question

BBC Academy Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BBC in July 2013.

Saw initial advert on the BBC Careers page. Descriptive and well written job description.
    I hadn't come from a background in broadcasting but felt I had the skills for this middle / senior position. So took the chance and applied,.
    Completed online form which included a box which acted like a cover letter. So ensure that you sell yourself.
    A Few weeks later, invited for an hour interview at BBC in White City via email. Had the opportunity to choose a time from a list of options.
    Carried out lots of research using the BBC website, including looking up the individuals who would be interviewing me. Lots of information about the BBC Academy online.
    The interview itself was at the BBC centre in White City. Arrived in reception, but had to wait around 30mins past the interview time on the letter.
    Interview consisted of two senior individuals, both polite and friendly. Questions were strength based and didn't ask anything technical as this role involved more managerial skills.
    During interview it was evident they had an existing BBC employee in mind who had more than a decades experience. Though to be honest I was shocked I even got an interview so wasn't surprised.
    However, interviewers were professional and friendly.
    After a week was notified I hadn't got the job. I asked for feedback but the interview after an initial email didn't get back to me.
    Didn't get the job but was an amazing opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think are the issues facing the BBC in the future?   Answer Question

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at BBC in October 2013.

Very long from application to interview to offer. Very typical of the BBC

Interview Questions
    • Have you worked for a broadcaster before?   View Answer

Better offer elsewhere

Worked for BBC? Contribute to the Community!