BBC

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

3.3

Accountant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BBC in July 2013.

asked questions about my background and what I would bring to the table. Also asked my strengths and weaknesses in regards to the business and business professional lifestyle. They liked my interest in marketing which was shocking for an accountant role. So talk up marketing

Digital Producer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BBC in November 2012.

one phone interview and one on site interview.
    All questions are simple, just be familiar with your resume and your technical skills.

Sales Operation Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BBC in September 2007.

First I got a call from the HR contact and did a very brief phone interview. She asked that I come in for an in-person interview. Since I was living out-of-state at the time (they are based in NYC), my time was limited to only days I knew I was already planning on being in NYC. When I went in for the interview, I met with the same HR contact. She was dressed in a hoodie sweatshirt, a skirt and flip flops. I was surprised at the lack of professionalism at such a large, reputable company. The first face-to-face meeting was pretty short. The HR contact told me (after at one point saying the word “sh*t”) she wanted me to meet with the sales director the following day, but she wouldn’t know of the exact time until later that day so she would call me. She did call me later and asked for a 9am interview. The following day, at 8:45am when I was already outside the building, I got a call cancelling that interview and asking if I could come in around 3pm (a definite time was not scheduled because she wasn’t sure if the sales director would want to leave early given it was a Friday). So she asked that I call ½ hour before I come. I thought this was very unusual and highly unprofessional, but I wanted the job so I agreed. At 2:30 I called and she said they I would not be meeting the sales director in person after all, but instead would do a series of phone interviews the following week. At this point, I was not interested in this position or BBC America anymore. No phone interviews were ever done.

Interview Questions
    • Describe my current responsibilities (very easy interview, lasting about 15 minutes).   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salford, North West England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at BBC.

I had applied for a different and more junior product manager job, as I wanted to get my foot in the door at BBC as it seemed like the perfect place for me to work. I was a bit offended when I never got a call back on that role as I was overqualified and I assumed I'd get a call. A month later I got an unexpected phone call from BBC HR offering me an interview for a mid level product manager role. I accepted the interview and first had a brief phone interview. Then I was invited to a one on one interview with the hiring manager of the team which would occur a week later. The interview went well, the staff were lovely and 6 days later I heard back from them with positive feedback. Then I was invited to London (for a Salford based role) to give a presentation in front of a panel of 3 people, including the hiring manager I had already met once before. The interview took place 2.5 weeks after the first in person interview. I was told that it would take 2 weeks to hear back yes or no for the position, though 4 days later I heard back that I had been offered the role. It was a slow process, but the steps were logical and the people were great.

Interview Questions
    • Asking to create a full presentation about the topic the team you're applying for deals with. Fully thought out and requiring very detailed responses. Sometimes well more than you'd be expected to know to do the role. They don't go easy on you in the interviews, but don't be afraid to say you don't know (always remember to say where you would find the answer)   Answer Question
    I didn't need to negotiate the pay was a little more than I expected. Was very happy with the offer.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BBC in November 2014.

I filled in an online application form. All fairly standard. After the initial form I was presented with another form with three long-format questions asking me to describe a project I'd worked on, how I went about it, how I made sure the software was fit for purpose etc.

Two weeks later I got an invitation to come for an interview within the next couple of days. Communication was excellent around this and they were very flexible about timing - very friendly and I couldn't fault it at all.

After arriving at the BBC complex (the place is huge) I was left to sit in the reception area, the interviewer was 20 minutes late but apologetic - I was taken up to a meeting room and introduced to his colleague who would also be interviewing me. The interviewer who met me initially was pretty friendly and seemed genuinely interested, and his colleague was pretty abrupt and very picky, seeming to focus entirely on what I didn't know. The whole thing seemed a bit like 'good cop, bad cop'. They asked a lot of technical questions initially then more general 'competency' style questions.

After the interview the first interviewer led me out, on the way out he admitted that they were mainly interviewing me because they hadn't had many applications, and that their fixed term positions weren't actually that at all - they really wanted permanent staff but internal politics meant they couldn't advertise anything longer than 24 months.

Unsurprisingly a week later I got a fairly brief rejection email saying that they weren't looking for someone who only wanted a 12-month contract, despite that being what was on the advert. On the plus side the process was all pretty straightforward so it didn't waste too much of my time.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected really, other than that they wanted someone who knew AWS and this wasn't stated on the advert. The 'competency' style questions were all based around the core competencies on the bottom of the job advert - analytical skills, organisation, communication, teamwork and flexibility, so as long as you prepare situations demonstrating all of those you'll be fine.   Answer Question

PA Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BBC.

Initially applied online, received email inviting me to interview. The role changed from the initial description to interview - they altered the title and responsibilities with little information to go by. Skills based test about prioritising a to do list for a busy day. Then a two-interviewer panel, very standard questions but requiring very in depth answers. I was not offered the role, but instead was offered an alternate similar position a month later.

Interview Questions
    • Competency based questions ie. what would you do if another PA was out sick and you then had multiple members of senior management to look after for the day. This is a pretty standard question but they wanted a long, detailed answer rather than for someone to pay lip service.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at BBC in October 2014.

I applied online on the BBC's career website for the role of one of the Radio Producer. Six week later, I received an e-mail to book a time slot for the interview at the new BBC House in central London. I spent whole week preparing for the interview as I was so keen to work with the BBC.
    On the day, they were running behind the time as the candidate before me was also waiting for her turn, (I was expecting BBC to be more punctual). After 45 mints of wait, I was taken to a tiny interview room where two hiring managers were waiting for me. The interview last for about half an hour in which they only asked me the standard presets' of questions. Both hiring Managers looked exhausted. They were more interested in filling up and marking the questionnaire than asking me about my achievements and creditability for the position nad you could tell straight away that they have had made up their mind to choose an internal candidate for the role.
    In the end, I was told that they would let me know about the outcome of the interview in a couple of days, however, it's already been two weeks and I haven't anything from them.

Interview Questions
    • what was the most difficult decision you took in your whole career history?   Answer Question

Team Assistant Interview

Very competency based...make sure you read job spec and have examples of similar things in previous work.
    The bbc board is very rigid, this is supposedly to do with fair selection but is most just typical bbc bull and ensures that most people hired fit the expected mould but anyways... Do you research before hand on the above and you will be fine.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Pretty standard stuff, research the area you are interviewing for   Answer Question

Data Journalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BBC in June 2014.

It was about 3-4 weeks between application to interview. Another 3-4 weeks to find out whether or not I got the job. Quite a long time, but perhaps unsurprising considering the size of the organisation. One thing that did stand out to me was that my interviewers didn't seem to have read my CV / application, based on the questions they were asking about my work experience. Otherwise all went well.

Interview Questions
    • There was an unexpected test, which wasn't mentioned in my interview invitation. I had to complete a task similar to the one I would have to do in the role. It was a computer-based data analysis task, which wasn't too difficult, but completely unexpected nonetheless.   Answer Question
    • How would you make your idea work for the TV?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hammersmith, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hammersmith, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BBC in May 2014.

One phone interview. 2 on-site interviews on same day in White City. First was 2 managers discussing experience and working practices (90 minutes). They're looking for agile. Second was collaborative coding test (60 minutes).

Interview Questions
    • Only 1 programming question: Conway's Game Of Life implementation in collaboration with another programmer, in language of your choice.   View Answer