BBC

31 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Accountant Interview

Accountant

I applied online - interviewed at BBC in July 2013.

Interview Details – asked questions about my background and what I would bring to the table. Also asked my strengths and weaknesses in regards to the business and business professional lifestyle. They liked my interest in marketing which was shocking for an accountant role. So talk up marketing

Interview Question – how I would succeed in accounting   Answer Question

Digital Producer Intern Interview

Digital Producer Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BBC in November 2012.

Interview Details – one phone interview and one on site interview.
All questions are simple, just be familiar with your resume and your technical skills.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Operation Executive Interview

Sales Operation Executive
New York, NY

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at BBC in September 2007.

Interview Details – First I got a call from the HR contact and did a very brief phone interview. She asked that I come in for an in-person interview. Since I was living out-of-state at the time (they are based in NYC), my time was limited to only days I knew I was already planning on being in NYC. When I went in for the interview, I met with the same HR contact. She was dressed in a hoodie sweatshirt, a skirt and flip flops. I was surprised at the lack of professionalism at such a large, reputable company. The first face-to-face meeting was pretty short. The HR contact told me (after at one point saying the word “sh*t”) she wanted me to meet with the sales director the following day, but she wouldn’t know of the exact time until later that day so she would call me. She did call me later and asked for a 9am interview. The following day, at 8:45am when I was already outside the building, I got a call cancelling that interview and asking if I could come in around 3pm (a definite time was not scheduled because she wasn’t sure if the sales director would want to leave early given it was a Friday). So she asked that I call ½ hour before I come. I thought this was very unusual and highly unprofessional, but I wanted the job so I agreed. At 2:30 I called and she said they I would not be meeting the sales director in person after all, but instead would do a series of phone interviews the following week. At this point, I was not interested in this position or BBC America anymore. No phone interviews were ever done.

Interview Question – Describe my current responsibilities (very easy interview, lasting about 15 minutes).   Answer Question

Junior Researcher Interview

Junior Researcher
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BBC in March 2014.

Interview Details – My interview was conducted by two interviewers (BBC interviews always have more than one interviewer), a Producer/Director and a Production Manager.

The Production Manager was very friendly but the PD was slightly disinterested and took two phone calls during the interview. I was also kept waiting for 30 to 40 minutes as they overran on the interview before mine.

The interviewers fired questions at me and made a note of my answers. They have to ask all interviewees the same questions to be fair so they rattled through the questions on their list (this isn’t meant as a negative- the questions were challenging but thought-provoking and were a good test of candidates). I was asked lots of questions to do with Editorial guidelines- what would you have to be aware of in this scenario etc? (Giving the person the opportunity to reply to any accusations is always key as is determining whether any informants have an ulterior motive for their claims.)

Make sure you can justify your ideas. I had submitted two programme ideas and had to talk the interviewers through them again.

They also asked me what resources I would use to help research stories and find contributors.

Interview Question – Questions covered a wide range of editorial guidelines and how you would react to unexpected and potentially legally sensitive situations.   Answer Question

BBC Academy Scheduler Interview

BBC Academy Scheduler
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BBC in July 2013.

Interview Details – Saw initial advert on the BBC Careers page. Descriptive and well written job description.
I hadn't come from a background in broadcasting but felt I had the skills for this middle / senior position. So took the chance and applied,.
Completed online form which included a box which acted like a cover letter. So ensure that you sell yourself.
A Few weeks later, invited for an hour interview at BBC in White City via email. Had the opportunity to choose a time from a list of options.
Carried out lots of research using the BBC website, including looking up the individuals who would be interviewing me. Lots of information about the BBC Academy online.
The interview itself was at the BBC centre in White City. Arrived in reception, but had to wait around 30mins past the interview time on the letter.
Interview consisted of two senior individuals, both polite and friendly. Questions were strength based and didn't ask anything technical as this role involved more managerial skills.
During interview it was evident they had an existing BBC employee in mind who had more than a decades experience. Though to be honest I was shocked I even got an interview so wasn't surprised.
However, interviewers were professional and friendly.
After a week was notified I hadn't got the job. I asked for feedback but the interview after an initial email didn't get back to me.
Didn't get the job but was an amazing opportunity.

Interview Question – What do you think are the issues facing the BBC in the future?   Answer Question

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Broadcast Journalist
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at BBC in October 2013.

Interview Details – Very long from application to interview to offer. Very typical of the BBC

Interview Question – Have you worked for a broadcaster before?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Better offer elsewhere

Very Difficult Interview

Web Assistant - Extend (Disabled Scheme), Glasgow Interview

Web Assistant - Extend (Disabled Scheme), Glasgow
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at BBC in April 2011.

Interview Details – Completed a lengthy application. Invited to interview for Web Assistant role in their Education division. Based Glasgow.
I was interviewed by a deaf person with an interpreter. I had to look at them while an interpreter spoke behind me. Panel of 4 on the interview. One interview then offer after that.

Interview Question – Asked to talk about a website I have used and review it. For this type of thing make sure it's relevant to the area you are going into.
Here comes the crunch. The final question they asked me was what my disability was?
  View Answer

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Broadcast Journalist
New Delhi (India)

I interviewed at BBC in March 2013.

Interview Details – had a phone interview

Interview Question – why finance to journalism ?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BBC.

Interview Details – Applied through an application form online which was rather long winded.

Had a single in house interview with two people (direct manager and his manager) which lasted about an hour. The interview was stock "tell me about a project you worked on" kind of questions.

Overall it was a positive experience and very easy. There were no difficult questions in the interview and nothing that really scratched the surface. I can't remember any of the questions but I do remember thinking that it would be very easy to waffle on a bit and convince the interviewers you knew what you were talking about.

Interview Question – I can't remember any exact questions, but they were typical questions about things like projects I'd worked on and situations where things had been awkward etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Moscow (Russia)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BBC in July 2011.

Interview Details – There is virtually no internship culture outside management consulting in Russia so I had to contact the media I was interested and ask if they can accept me as an intern. I found several emails of people working at BBC Moscow online (their website is not usable for this purpose) and contacted them in early June. In a couple weeks they responded and invited me to an interview. I was traveling at the time so I asked to move my interview two weeks ahead and they were okay with it. My interview was in mid-August. It lasted maybe ten minutes and I was interviewed by the head of BBC Russia and the leader of the production team. The whole interview was in English. They asked why I wanted to do that internship and asked to tell them about some current events. They told me I was accepted right away and set the start date for mid-August.

Just make sure you speak good English and read some newspapers for at least a couple weeks before the interview (Kommersant and Vedomosti would be your best bet).

Interview Question – There were none of those. The interviewers were both very friendly and nice and the questions were predictable.   Answer Question

Worked for BBC? Contribute to the Community!