BBC Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.2

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

One 90 min interview with a Creative Director and senior designer. The interview was broken into parts, with each part timed. The last portion was allocated to 10 mins for a presentation with a follow up 20 mins Q&A? It's been a while since I've had the interview so some details escape me. One thing that was not mentioned in the lead-up to the interview or in the actual interview was that the role includes a lot more UI responsibilities than you would expect. The job is more of a hybrid UX/UI role than a pure UX one.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you can bring to the BBC?   Answer Question
    • Deliver a 10 min presentation on the assessment of a current BBC product webpage. If you were tasked with redesigning these pages, what would your process be? Also, what are the current failings of the site in terms of interaction and visual design?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at BBC (Salford, North West England, England (UK)).

Interview

I had applied for a different and more junior product manager job, as I wanted to get my foot in the door at BBC as it seemed like the perfect place for me to work. I was a bit offended when I never got a call back on that role as I was overqualified and I assumed I'd get a call. A month later I got an unexpected phone call from BBC HR offering me an interview for a mid level product manager role. I accepted the interview and first had a brief phone interview. Then I was invited to a one on one interview with the hiring manager of the team which would occur a week later. The interview went well, the staff were lovely and 6 days later I heard back from them with positive feedback. Then I was invited to London (for a Salford based role) to give a presentation in front of a panel of 3 people, including the hiring manager I had already met once before. The interview took place 2.5 weeks after the first in person interview. I was told that it would take 2 weeks to hear back yes or no for the position, though 4 days later I heard back that I had been offered the role. It was a slow process, but the steps were logical and the people were great.

Interview Questions

• Asking to create a full presentation about the topic the team you're applying for deals with. Fully thought out and requiring very detailed responses. Sometimes well more than you'd be expected to know to do the role. They don't go easy on you in the interviews, but don't be afraid to say you don't know (always remember to say where you would find the answer)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't need to negotiate the pay was a little more than I expected. Was very happy with the offer.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I filled in an online application form. All fairly standard. After the initial form I was presented with another form with three long-format questions asking me to describe a project I'd worked on, how I went about it, how I made sure the software was fit for purpose etc.

Two weeks later I got an invitation to come for an interview within the next couple of days. Communication was excellent around this and they were very flexible about timing - very friendly and I couldn't fault it at all.

After arriving at the BBC complex (the place is huge) I was left to sit in the reception area, the interviewer was 20 minutes late but apologetic - I was taken up to a meeting room and introduced to his colleague who would also be interviewing me. The interviewer who met me initially was pretty friendly and seemed genuinely interested, and his colleague was pretty abrupt and very picky, seeming to focus entirely on what I didn't know. The whole thing seemed a bit like 'good cop, bad cop'. They asked a lot of technical questions initially then more general 'competency' style questions.

After the interview the first interviewer led me out, on the way out he admitted that they were mainly interviewing me because they hadn't had many applications, and that their fixed term positions weren't actually that at all - they really wanted permanent staff but internal politics meant they couldn't advertise anything longer than 24 months.

Unsurprisingly a week later I got a fairly brief rejection email saying that they weren't looking for someone who only wanted a 12-month contract, despite that being what was on the advert. On the plus side the process was all pretty straightforward so it didn't waste too much of my time.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected really, other than that they wanted someone who knew AWS and this wasn't stated on the advert. The 'competency' style questions were all based around the core competencies on the bottom of the job advert - analytical skills, organisation, communication, teamwork and flexibility, so as long as you prepare situations demonstrating all of those you'll be fine.   Answer Question

PA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BBC.

Interview

Initially applied online, received email inviting me to interview. The role changed from the initial description to interview - they altered the title and responsibilities with little information to go by. Skills based test about prioritising a to do list for a busy day. Then a two-interviewer panel, very standard questions but requiring very in depth answers. I was not offered the role, but instead was offered an alternate similar position a month later.

Interview Questions

• Competency based questions ie. what would you do if another PA was out sick and you then had multiple members of senior management to look after for the day. This is a pretty standard question but they wanted a long, detailed answer rather than for someone to pay lip service.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online on the BBC's career website for the role of one of the Radio Producer. Six week later, I received an e-mail to book a time slot for the interview at the new BBC House in central London. I spent whole week preparing for the interview as I was so keen to work with the BBC.
    On the day, they were running behind the time as the candidate before me was also waiting for her turn, (I was expecting BBC to be more punctual). After 45 mints of wait, I was taken to a tiny interview room where two hiring managers were waiting for me. The interview last for about half an hour in which they only asked me the standard presets' of questions. Both hiring Managers looked exhausted. They were more interested in filling up and marking the questionnaire than asking me about my achievements and creditability for the position nad you could tell straight away that they have had made up their mind to choose an internal candidate for the role.
    In the end, I was told that they would let me know about the outcome of the interview in a couple of days, however, it's already been two weeks and I haven't anything from them.

Interview Questions

• what was the most difficult decision you took in your whole career history?   Answer Question

Analytics Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

2 stage process - both face to face 1 hour interviews with two people. First was with hiring manager and a colleague; second was with hiring manager's boss and a colleague

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to the role ?   1 Answer

Team Assistant Interview

Interview

Very competency based...make sure you read job spec and have examples of similar things in previous work.
    The bbc board is very rigid, this is supposedly to do with fair selection but is most just typical bbc bull and ensures that most people hired fit the expected mould but anyways... Do you research before hand on the above and you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• None really. Pretty standard stuff, research the area you are interviewing for   Answer Question

Data Journalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

It was about 3-4 weeks between application to interview. Another 3-4 weeks to find out whether or not I got the job. Quite a long time, but perhaps unsurprising considering the size of the organisation. One thing that did stand out to me was that my interviewers didn't seem to have read my CV / application, based on the questions they were asking about my work experience. Otherwise all went well.

Interview Questions

• There was an unexpected test, which wasn't mentioned in my interview invitation. I had to complete a task similar to the one I would have to do in the role. It was a computer-based data analysis task, which wasn't too difficult, but completely unexpected nonetheless.   Answer Question
    • How would you make your idea work for the TV?   1 Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BBC (Manchester, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 3 stages.
    The first stage was an informal chat with a person from resourcing followed by HR phone interview a few days later.

The second stage included a coding task and a 2 different online tests (personality/behavioural based questions and logical reasoning test). To finish all these exercises I was given 3 days.

The last stage was an assessment centre. It consisted of a face to face interview with two developers, paired programming exercise and a group exercise. The overall experience was really good, people were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Explain your recent software project in more depth, explain decisions you've made and problems you had to solve   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hammersmith, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BBC (Hammersmith, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

One phone interview. 2 on-site interviews on same day in White City. First was 2 managers discussing experience and working practices (90 minutes). They're looking for agile. Second was collaborative coding test (60 minutes).

Interview Questions

• Only 1 programming question: Conway's Game Of Life implementation in collaboration with another programmer, in language of your choice.   1 Answer