BBC Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 12, 2014
32 interviews

3.3

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Moscow (Russia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BBC in July 2011.

There is virtually no internship culture outside management consulting in Russia so I had to contact the media I was interested and ask if they can accept me as an intern. I found several emails of people working at BBC Moscow online (their website is not usable for this purpose) and contacted them in early June. In a couple weeks they responded and invited me to an interview. I was traveling at the time so I asked to move my interview two weeks ahead and they were okay with it. My interview was in mid-August. It lasted maybe ten minutes and I was interviewed by the head of BBC Russia and the leader of the production team. The whole interview was in English. They asked why I wanted to do that internship and asked to tell them about some current events. They told me I was accepted right away and set the start date for mid-August.

Just make sure you speak good English and read some newspapers for at least a couple weeks before the interview (Kommersant and Vedomosti would be your best bet).

Interview Questions
    • There were none of those. The interviewers were both very friendly and nice and the questions were predictable.   Answer Question

Finance Analyst Interview

In person with a panel of 3.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions asked were as expected. Competency based with a couple of job specific/context questions.   Answer Question

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BBC in June 2009.

Applied through internal system and got through interview after applying online and then went for panel interview

Interview Questions
    • How would you react in this case- of high pressure and legal question   Answer Question

Broadcast Journalist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at BBC.

Interviewed through board of four people, all newsroom people. Have done a few of these. Worth having a how to deal with a difficult person answer up your sleeve. Also had to do a practical journalism test - some story ideas. Also had prepared a couple of story ideas in advance of the interview which I was asked - and am asked every time I do one of these.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example when ..... also the general knowledge quiz   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at BBC in March 2013.

About a month after applying online for the position I was emailed to say I'd gotten through to the next step of the interview process, a technical challenge. The challenger was fairly open with regards requirements to be fun but small enough in scope for just a couple of hours work and beautifying. About 2 weeks after submission I passed to the next stage, interviews.

Booking the slot online was a bonus as it gave me a bit of freedom, but then there weren't many slots so it cancelled itself out a little there.

The interview was great, I travelled from quite far, but those interviewing made it clear they appreciated it. We got along really well right from the start and beginning with a small technical challenge was a nice change from other interviews. It took around 20 minutes of planning and prototyping, plus 10 minutes talking through it with the interviewers to explain my methods. There was then around 45 minutes of questions varying from technical, to team orientated, to interpersonal skills types.

It was only a week after the interview when I received an offer. Although I was one of the last interviewees. I was offered the Junior Developer position due to my lack of experience, with the appropriate drop in expected salary, but this was completely valid for my situation.

Interview Questions
    • What type of design patterns do you make use of?   View Answer
    Fairly slow. Almost a week for a single negotiation turn around.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BBC.

Applied on their website, was contacted by their HR and asked to complete a Java task and submit it back to her. After completing the Java task was asked to come in for a face to face interview - I was not given the interview structure/agenda prior to the interview.

Interviewed by three senior members of their team which lasted an hour, they have a set of questions that focus technical ability, time management and communication. Also, I was asked to explain using the white board a "complicated project or piece of functionality" that I had worked on.

After, I was asked to go into the office and sit with a member of the development team and do a pair programming task. The task was to develop a 'Conway Game of Life' application using TDD - I was given 45 minutes to complete the task. Quite a difficult part of the interview due to unfamiliar surroundings/computer, no prior knowledge of the problem to be solved and interview stress.

I received a rejection email a week or so later.

Interview Questions
    • The pair programming task was unexpected.   View Answer

Head of Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 6 months - interviewed at BBC in April 2009.

6 months. Several steps. Delays due to changes in job roles for managers. Personality and ability profiles.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were closely related to the competencies on role profile. "Eg provide an example of where changes to a certain process resulted in business improvement. What did you do? How did you measure your success? What would you do differently next time?"   Answer Question
    It was made clear there was little flexibility but the offer was reasonalbe

Graduate Interview

Human Resources Graduate Sheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at BBC in April 2012.

Online application form, online test, phone interview and assessment centre.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at BBC in September 2008.

Hiring was an ongoing process. I met with the head of department who reviewed my portfolio and had a long informal chat with me. He was obviously more interested in my character and temperament than design ability, which seemed to be a given. From their side, finding a 'good fit' seemed a priority in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Have you any experience leading a team, in a high pressure situation? How did you succeed in that situation.   View Answer
    There is no room for negotiation. The BBC sets its terms and conditions - all of which are very fair and reasonable - and you take it or leave it.