BBC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BBC.

Interview Details – Applied on their website, was contacted by their HR and asked to complete a Java task and submit it back to her. After completing the Java task was asked to come in for a face to face interview - I was not given the interview structure/agenda prior to the interview.

Interviewed by three senior members of their team which lasted an hour, they have a set of questions that focus technical ability, time management and communication. Also, I was asked to explain using the white board a "complicated project or piece of functionality" that I had worked on.

After, I was asked to go into the office and sit with a member of the development team and do a pair programming task. The task was to develop a 'Conway Game of Life' application using TDD - I was given 45 minutes to complete the task. Quite a difficult part of the interview due to unfamiliar surroundings/computer, no prior knowledge of the problem to be solved and interview stress.

I received a rejection email a week or so later.

Interview Question – The pair programming task was unexpected.   View Answer

Head of Human Resources Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 months - interviewed at BBC in April 2009.

Interview Details – 6 months. Several steps. Delays due to changes in job roles for managers. Personality and ability profiles.

Interview Question – Questions were closely related to the competencies on role profile. "Eg provide an example of where changes to a certain process resulted in business improvement. What did you do? How did you measure your success? What would you do differently next time?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was made clear there was little flexibility but the offer was reasonalbe

Graduate Interview

Interviewed at BBC

Interview Question – No question was unexpected   Answer Question

Human Resources Graduate Sheme Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BBC in April 2012.

Interview Details – Online application form, online test, phone interview and assessment centre.

Interview Question – No question was unexpected   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BBC in September 2008.

Interview Details – Hiring was an ongoing process. I met with the head of department who reviewed my portfolio and had a long informal chat with me. He was obviously more interested in my character and temperament than design ability, which seemed to be a given. From their side, finding a 'good fit' seemed a priority in the hiring process.

Interview Question – Have you any experience leading a team, in a high pressure situation? How did you succeed in that situation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no room for negotiation. The BBC sets its terms and conditions - all of which are very fair and reasonable - and you take it or leave it.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BBC in March 2012.

Interview Details – 1. Hiring via McGregor Boyall
2. Interview 3 people senior BBC, questions by all 3
3. Explain how manage stakeholders
4. How deliver network solutions
5. How manage risk and issues
6. How would you manage a delivery where solution is provided as a managed service by an external provider

Interview Question – 1. how do you manage difficult stakeholders give an example of where you had to do this   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – BBC actually changed what had been originally agreed before interview took place. So when they offered me the roe they reduced daily rate, I was not impressed by this action.

Very Difficult Interview

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Broadcast Journalist
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at BBC in July 2010.

Interview Details – This was for a Senior Management position. BBC interviews, or ' boards' as they are called are notoriously tough. Always panel interviews where they are designed to trip you up. A lot of the vacancies they have they already know who they want for the job but have to go through the process of interviewing others. So it can be a waste of time but its always worth going to them for the experience. BBC even have an in house service on how to board well.

Interview Question – Justify the existence of part x of BBC. Why do we need it?   Answer Question

Manager of IT Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at BBC in March 2009.

Interview Details – three people

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – not good enough

Field Work Interview

Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at BBC in July 2008.

Interview Details – They contacted me days earlier, and after scheduling the interview day it was some sort of an AC. By the time we met they had already checked my background including education, former workplaces, even people I'd ever got contacted with. They'd already had a basic profile of my personality and skills, so I had to do an IQ test, a blood test and the interview consisted mostly of conversation.

Interview Question – If you were to shoot your colleague to save the world, would you?   View Answer

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BBC in April 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted the application online and waited for a month to get a phone call from HR "we... ... ... ... (6 sec pause) would like to bring you forward". Received email detailing the names of the panel but did not mention the interview format etc. Attended the interview but arrived early, had to wait at the lobby outside the security entry to the building and watch over 500+ people walked in and out.

Started with a 1.5 hour skill test - supposed to work together with the interviewer as your peer. Did most of the core bit, but with some help from the interviewer (I think you are supposed to ask for help and this is the concept of peering)

Followed by a 2:1 interview with 10+ standard scenario competence questions. Evidence of this and evidence of that. Pretty standard.

Received the rejection email 2 weeks later.

Have really no idea what do they really expect from a junior web developer. I was aiming for the more senior role before submitting the application as I believed I was surely more than qualified for this. Never mind, they are the people to make the call and sometimes you will have to just accept this.

Disappointed, really.

Interview Question – write a javascript one page web app to simulate "Conway's Game of Life"   Answer Question