BBC

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.3

Team Assistant Interview

Very competency based...make sure you read job spec and have examples of similar things in previous work.
    The bbc board is very rigid, this is supposedly to do with fair selection but is most just typical bbc bull and ensures that most people hired fit the expected mould but anyways... Do you research before hand on the above and you will be fine.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Pretty standard stuff, research the area you are interviewing for   Answer Question

Data Journalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BBC in June 2014.

It was about 3-4 weeks between application to interview. Another 3-4 weeks to find out whether or not I got the job. Quite a long time, but perhaps unsurprising considering the size of the organisation. One thing that did stand out to me was that my interviewers didn't seem to have read my CV / application, based on the questions they were asking about my work experience. Otherwise all went well.

Interview Questions
    • There was an unexpected test, which wasn't mentioned in my interview invitation. I had to complete a task similar to the one I would have to do in the role. It was a computer-based data analysis task, which wasn't too difficult, but completely unexpected nonetheless.   Answer Question
    • How would you make your idea work for the TV?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hammersmith, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Hammersmith, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BBC in May 2014.

One phone interview. 2 on-site interviews on same day in White City. First was 2 managers discussing experience and working practices (90 minutes). They're looking for agile. Second was collaborative coding test (60 minutes).

Interview Questions
    • Only 1 programming question: Conway's Game Of Life implementation in collaboration with another programmer, in language of your choice.   View Answer

HRBP Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BBC in May 2014.

Applied for role via an agency and was due for an interview in London.
    Was due to meet the HRD for a 9am meeting. Whilst waiting in reception I was called to the desk and told the HRD wanted to speak with me - she explained that there was an issue with her train but she would interview over the phone. She said to go to the staff canteen and she would call em in 10 mins which I duly did.
    it was extremely difficult having a job interview whilst sharing a table (there were no others available) with several employees. The call lasted 30 mins and the (eventual) feedback from the agency was that based on the candidates she had met I was not successful - not surprising as I never met her! Was (and still am) extremely disappointed with this lack of balance).

Will never apply for a role with them again.

Project Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BBC in April 2014.

The BBC has a very proscribed and structured selection process. Anyone who has been around the organisation for a while will 'get' the process, and know how to score well in interviews regardless of how good they are for the job. This leads to some poor hiring decisions.

You won't be asked anything unexpected if you have read the job description. The process pretty much dictates you can only be asked about the 'qualities' in bullet points at the bottom of the JD, and how you are scored on them will have been vetted by HR first.

Press Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BBC in April 2014.

I had to fill out quite a lengthy online application form initially. I received a phone call inviting me to an interview, followed by an email giving me directions, then another phone call to confirm the interview date.

Part one of the interview was a writing test. I was also given a series of potential scenarios and I had to sort them into order of priority.

Part two was an interview with two people. They were both polite and professional.

I received a phone call telling me that I hadn't been offered the job. The HR person who called said that I could have feedback if I wanted and that she would like to consider me for another position. She said that she would send me details but never did.

I emailed to ask about the feedback and the other potential job but received no reply. Although the interview process itself was fairly smooth, I am voting negative overall. Feedback is very helpful and rarely given (in my experience) so to offer it and then not follow up is disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • It was something like: "What are the three main characteristics of the BBC brand?"   Answer Question

Junior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BBC in March 2014.

My interview was conducted by two interviewers (BBC interviews always have more than one interviewer), a Producer/Director and a Production Manager.

The Production Manager was very friendly but the PD was slightly disinterested and took two phone calls during the interview. I was also kept waiting for 30 to 40 minutes as they overran on the interview before mine.

The interviewers fired questions at me and made a note of my answers. They have to ask all interviewees the same questions to be fair so they rattled through the questions on their list (this isn’t meant as a negative- the questions were challenging but thought-provoking and were a good test of candidates). I was asked lots of questions to do with Editorial guidelines- what would you have to be aware of in this scenario etc? (Giving the person the opportunity to reply to any accusations is always key as is determining whether any informants have an ulterior motive for their claims.)

Make sure you can justify your ideas. I had submitted two programme ideas and had to talk the interviewers through them again.

They also asked me what resources I would use to help research stories and find contributors.

Interview Questions
    • Questions covered a wide range of editorial guidelines and how you would react to unexpected and potentially legally sensitive situations.   Answer Question

Runner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at BBC in March 2014.

I came for an interview within two hours of contacting the production manager. The interview was with the PM and series producer and was very informal. They were very keen and interested in my past experiences and seemed inpressed with my CV (mainly because I was a reliable driver). I had a list of days that I needed to finish early due to family commitments for the duration of the job and they were very open and understanding about that. There were no tough questions in a typical interview way, it was more a casual chat. I was offered the job about an hour later.

Interview Questions
    I had to negotiate my pay with the talent manger and was given the offer that I asked for.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BBC.

Applied through an application form online which was rather long winded.

Had a single in house interview with two people (direct manager and his manager) which lasted about an hour. The interview was stock "tell me about a project you worked on" kind of questions.

Overall it was a positive experience and very easy. There were no difficult questions in the interview and nothing that really scratched the surface. I can't remember any of the questions but I do remember thinking that it would be very easy to waffle on a bit and convince the interviewers you knew what you were talking about.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember any exact questions, but they were typical questions about things like projects I'd worked on and situations where things had been awkward etc.   Answer Question

Finance Analyst Interview

In person with a panel of 3.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions asked were as expected. Competency based with a couple of job specific/context questions.   Answer Question