BBC

Updated Nov 20, 2014

3.3

Press Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BBC in April 2014.

I had to fill out quite a lengthy online application form initially. I received a phone call inviting me to an interview, followed by an email giving me directions, then another phone call to confirm the interview date.

Part one of the interview was a writing test. I was also given a series of potential scenarios and I had to sort them into order of priority.

Part two was an interview with two people. They were both polite and professional.

I received a phone call telling me that I hadn't been offered the job. The HR person who called said that I could have feedback if I wanted and that she would like to consider me for another position. She said that she would send me details but never did.

I emailed to ask about the feedback and the other potential job but received no reply. Although the interview process itself was fairly smooth, I am voting negative overall. Feedback is very helpful and rarely given (in my experience) so to offer it and then not follow up is disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • It was something like: "What are the three main characteristics of the BBC brand?"   Answer Question

Junior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BBC in March 2014.

My interview was conducted by two interviewers (BBC interviews always have more than one interviewer), a Producer/Director and a Production Manager.

The Production Manager was very friendly but the PD was slightly disinterested and took two phone calls during the interview. I was also kept waiting for 30 to 40 minutes as they overran on the interview before mine.

The interviewers fired questions at me and made a note of my answers. They have to ask all interviewees the same questions to be fair so they rattled through the questions on their list (this isn’t meant as a negative- the questions were challenging but thought-provoking and were a good test of candidates). I was asked lots of questions to do with Editorial guidelines- what would you have to be aware of in this scenario etc? (Giving the person the opportunity to reply to any accusations is always key as is determining whether any informants have an ulterior motive for their claims.)

Make sure you can justify your ideas. I had submitted two programme ideas and had to talk the interviewers through them again.

They also asked me what resources I would use to help research stories and find contributors.

Interview Questions
    • Questions covered a wide range of editorial guidelines and how you would react to unexpected and potentially legally sensitive situations.   Answer Question

Runner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at BBC in March 2014.

I came for an interview within two hours of contacting the production manager. The interview was with the PM and series producer and was very informal. They were very keen and interested in my past experiences and seemed inpressed with my CV (mainly because I was a reliable driver). I had a list of days that I needed to finish early due to family commitments for the duration of the job and they were very open and understanding about that. There were no tough questions in a typical interview way, it was more a casual chat. I was offered the job about an hour later.

Interview Questions
    I had to negotiate my pay with the talent manger and was given the offer that I asked for.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BBC.

Applied through an application form online which was rather long winded.

Had a single in house interview with two people (direct manager and his manager) which lasted about an hour. The interview was stock "tell me about a project you worked on" kind of questions.

Overall it was a positive experience and very easy. There were no difficult questions in the interview and nothing that really scratched the surface. I can't remember any of the questions but I do remember thinking that it would be very easy to waffle on a bit and convince the interviewers you knew what you were talking about.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember any exact questions, but they were typical questions about things like projects I'd worked on and situations where things had been awkward etc.   Answer Question

Finance Analyst Interview

In person with a panel of 3.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions asked were as expected. Competency based with a couple of job specific/context questions.   Answer Question

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BBC in October 2013.

Very long from application to interview to offer. Very typical of the BBC

Interview Questions
    • Have you worked for a broadcaster before?   View Answer

Better offer elsewhere

BBC Academy Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BBC in July 2013.

Saw initial advert on the BBC Careers page. Descriptive and well written job description.
    I hadn't come from a background in broadcasting but felt I had the skills for this middle / senior position. So took the chance and applied,.
    Completed online form which included a box which acted like a cover letter. So ensure that you sell yourself.
    A Few weeks later, invited for an hour interview at BBC in White City via email. Had the opportunity to choose a time from a list of options.
    Carried out lots of research using the BBC website, including looking up the individuals who would be interviewing me. Lots of information about the BBC Academy online.
    The interview itself was at the BBC centre in White City. Arrived in reception, but had to wait around 30mins past the interview time on the letter.
    Interview consisted of two senior individuals, both polite and friendly. Questions were strength based and didn't ask anything technical as this role involved more managerial skills.
    During interview it was evident they had an existing BBC employee in mind who had more than a decades experience. Though to be honest I was shocked I even got an interview so wasn't surprised.
    However, interviewers were professional and friendly.
    After a week was notified I hadn't got the job. I asked for feedback but the interview after an initial email didn't get back to me.
    Didn't get the job but was an amazing opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think are the issues facing the BBC in the future?   Answer Question

Broadcast Journalist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BBC.

Interviewed through board of four people, all newsroom people. Have done a few of these. Worth having a how to deal with a difficult person answer up your sleeve. Also had to do a practical journalism test - some story ideas. Also had prepared a couple of story ideas in advance of the interview which I was asked - and am asked every time I do one of these.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example when ..... also the general knowledge quiz   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BBC.

Applied on their website, was contacted by their HR and asked to complete a Java task and submit it back to her. After completing the Java task was asked to come in for a face to face interview - I was not given the interview structure/agenda prior to the interview.

Interviewed by three senior members of their team which lasted an hour, they have a set of questions that focus technical ability, time management and communication. Also, I was asked to explain using the white board a "complicated project or piece of functionality" that I had worked on.

After, I was asked to go into the office and sit with a member of the development team and do a pair programming task. The task was to develop a 'Conway Game of Life' application using TDD - I was given 45 minutes to complete the task. Quite a difficult part of the interview due to unfamiliar surroundings/computer, no prior knowledge of the problem to be solved and interview stress.

I received a rejection email a week or so later.

Interview Questions
    • The pair programming task was unexpected.   View Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at BBC in March 2013.

About a month after applying online for the position I was emailed to say I'd gotten through to the next step of the interview process, a technical challenge. The challenger was fairly open with regards requirements to be fun but small enough in scope for just a couple of hours work and beautifying. About 2 weeks after submission I passed to the next stage, interviews.

Booking the slot online was a bonus as it gave me a bit of freedom, but then there weren't many slots so it cancelled itself out a little there.

The interview was great, I travelled from quite far, but those interviewing made it clear they appreciated it. We got along really well right from the start and beginning with a small technical challenge was a nice change from other interviews. It took around 20 minutes of planning and prototyping, plus 10 minutes talking through it with the interviewers to explain my methods. There was then around 45 minutes of questions varying from technical, to team orientated, to interpersonal skills types.

It was only a week after the interview when I received an offer. Although I was one of the last interviewees. I was offered the Junior Developer position due to my lack of experience, with the appropriate drop in expected salary, but this was completely valid for my situation.

Interview Questions
    • What type of design patterns do you make use of?   View Answer
    Fairly slow. Almost a week for a single negotiation turn around.