BDO UK

Updated Nov 11, 2014

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BDO UK.

Waited for further interview invitation quite a long time (almost one month) after the online tests. However the first round interview was pleasant. It lasted about 1 hour.

First some questions about the CV, e.g. why the degree/major, some details about the A-levels, what kinds of computer skills did you have, etc.
    Then some motivation and competency questions. Why BDO, what's our values, why audit, why this specific track (I applied for charities and government auditing), what do you know about BDO's other departments, what's your career goal, etc. Also questions like: a time you work in a team, a time you work with a difficult person, what's your greatest achievement to date. Nothing surprising.

Audit Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

The overall application process was great.

Online application and assessment led to the first interview with a manager; quite informal although he had set questions to follow. I was able to ask him questions throughout and felt extremely confortable throughout the experience. This led to an assessment centre a few days after in which there was just four of us.

The day started with an introduction to BDO, its values, etc. It was sold very well, and throughout the experience there was a reiteration that they like to appear much more of a people focussed company than the big 4. We then had a simple icebreaker task to introduce ourselves, followed by the in-tray exercise. There was alot of information to take in and i recommend reading through it, go back to the tasks and skim through again, making relevant notes before starting the write-up which just involved filling in a task sheet and writing a sympathetic but professional letter to the client who we were theoretically assisting on her deceased father's finances. Technical knowledge is not required, everything is in the booklet, just be aware of reading in detail.

Following from this was the group exercise in which we were given information to read first and then discuss how we could cut our client's budget down, which of the ideas provided would be financially viable and beneficial. Knowledge of an accountancy firm's work would be helpful as there is an additional part which requires you to think about how else BDO could help the client.

I then had a partner interview which was even more informal than the first. It was basically an opportunity for him to find out more about me and me about the firm.

The final task was a presentation with a manager. This was prepared in advance of the day and was to focus on any business or industry, describing the challenges they are currently facing and how BDO could help with these challenges. Not a stressful experience at all, you are welcome to sit down or stand up. He will ask questions afterwards such as what are the risks.

Lunch followed which was a nice chat with previous graduates.

I was disappointed with the lack of communication and feedback after the day, especially after the introductory talk had emphasised that they encourage feedback. I was told by email that i was unsuccessful and received no reply when i requested feedback. Disappointing end to a great application process and what seems like a great company to be a part of!

Management Consulting Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BDO UK in June 2014.

First Stage Interview - The interviewer was really friendly. The interview started with a case study. It is nothing you could prepare for in advance and they don't expect you to be prepared for it either. It lasts for about 15 minutes. They just ask you a question and what they wanna see is what your thought process is. I really couldn't tell more because I wasn't given any feedback, but I must've done well as I was invited to an assessment centre. The interview itself was a typical 'Give me an example of' interview. Again, just make sure you know their values and what their culture is, that will help you to tailor your answers to what they look for. I think they have a list of about 15 questions, but the interviewer selects a few of them. Some of the questions were:

- Example of a time when you went beyond the call of duty
    - Have you been part of any societies
    - Why BDO (the culture is what they claim makes them different)
    - What skills can you bring to BDO?

A week after my interview I was invited to an assessment centre. They ask you to prepare a 20-minute presentation in advance on a business or industry, the issues it is currently faced with and how BDO can help them. You deliver the presentation to two assessors who then ask questions like ''Where did you find this information''. My presentation was on HSBC - one of the assessors mentioned they BDO haven't worked with such a big company like HSBC yet, so he asked me if I was on the same plane with a manager from HSBC, what would I do to persuade them that they should work with BDO.

Another part of the assessment centre was the lunch with current graduates and managers. They say it is not assessment, but I am sure the assessors paid attention to whether you were actually speaking to different people to see whether you are a talkative and friendly person. Some of the assessors come to speak to you too. My impression was that BDO is a tight-knit organisation, everyone was really friendly and it was nice to speak to so many different people.

The group task - typical one for an assessment centre. You are given a case study - mine was about a hospital which is faced with several issues, and you as a team have to select 4 out of 10 options to implement. At the end of the exercise the whole team gives a short presentation. Make sure you look confident and DON'T read off your notes. During the exercise, stay confident, consult with people, ask for their opinion and support their views. I think the important part of the group exercise is to stay confident and relaxed.

Individual exercise - you have to write a report. It wasn't complicated at all, just make sure you know how to write a business report before the assessment centre.

Partner interview - my partner asked the questions which the manager that interviewed me at the 1st stage interview didn't have time to ask. The manager had also left some notes below my answers for me to clarify or expand on what I had said in my 1st stage interview. The partner was very very friendly, and again the questions were pretty standard - Have you made a mistake, Why BDO and not the Big 4, Why Management Consulting, What skills does a good consultant have, What are our values and your understanding of them.

A day after the assessment centre I got a call from HR to inform me that I didn't get the job. I was told the partner thought I wasn't enthusiastic and energetic enough. When I asked what that meant the reply was 'We expect candidates to be like I WANT THIS JOB, I KNOW I WANT IT and I KNOW I CAN DO IT' ........ . . .. . .. ......

I was also told I started the group exercise very confidently, but then got silent and according to them I was looking confused.

For my presentation, I was told that the assessors were unable to see the how what I said about HSBC related to BDO's services.

Audit Graduate Interview

Online application, followed by online tests, first manager interview, and finally an assessment centre constitutes of in tray, group exercise, individual presentation, partner interview

Corporate Finance Graduate- M&A Team Interview

Application Form- Pretty standard

Online Tests- Again pretty standard

First Interview- Extremely laid back, very good interviewers, mostly questions to do with the role rather than competency questions

Assessment Centre- Fairly difficult in-tray exercise (lots of information, takes a while to get your head round the task, take your time reading all the information first), group exercise (have to assess four out of ten options for cutting budget, lots of information so look at the options first to assess how much money each saves), personal presentation (make sure you include relevant information to the service line you're applying for), partner interview (conversational but challenging, difficult questions to do with the industry/role)

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think we focus more on sell-side of things rather than the buy-side?   Answer Question

Summer School Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BDO UK in March 2013.

I had to fill out an application form which seemed very standard (why bdo? why the stream you've applied for? have you worked in a team? do you have 'the difference inside'?, etc.) The I completed online numerical and verbal reasoning tests. I failed the verbal test the first time round but the HR team contacted me and said that because they were impressed with me so far I could redo it, so I did, and passed. I thought that was really nice of them to give me another shot. Then I had a manager interview asking completely competency based questions, like asking about teamwork, leadership, disagreements with someone, etc. Then there were other questions like why bdo, why the stream, why did you choose the a levels you did, what work do you think you'll be doing, etc. The interview was VERY formal. Then I had another manager interview and presentation that I had prepared in advance. This interview was much more casual and the interviewer asked me questions about my presentation as I did it which created a much more relaxed atmosphere. That was it for the Summer School. But, during the summer school we had a group project (to mirror the group assessment) and a partner interview and I was successful with both and was offered a place on the School Leaver Programme.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase, I was just sent a contract.

Senior Manager Interview

2 stage, not very difficult

Interview Questions
    • what makes you think you are senior manager   View Answer
    ok

Audit Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at BDO UK in November 2011.

The first stage of the recruitment process is the online application, fairly standard, easy to navigate. After submitting it, there are several online tests to face, numerical and logical reasoning in my case.
    After successfully passing that, interns get invited directly to an Assessment Centre, where they will attend a short company presentation, an e-tray exercise, a group exercise based on that e-tray, after which they will be interviewed by a line manager. They will also have to deliver a presentation on a business or sector of the economy that BDO could contribute to in a meaningful way.

Interview Questions
    • Easily the most difficult part is the presentation. Because the topic is known long before the assessment centre, getting an excellent subject and developing it is entirely possible. The effort will be worthwhile in the end.   Answer Question

Trainee Tax Investigations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BDO UK in April 2011.

Three weeks after sending my application I received an invitation for the online tests. These were fairly difficult. About one week later I received an invitation for a 1:1 interview. I accepted, but I wasn't too happy that travel allowance was only 50 quid (coming from abroad my expenses were a lot higher).
    While waiting on my interviewer I found a booklet about tax investigations, which was quite interesting to read, and I would recommend every candidate in tax to have a look at it.
    My interviewer was very friendly and was well prepared for the interview. She listened wit real interest.
    About two days after the interview I saw in my application center that the outcome of the interview was negative.

Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BDO UK in October 2010.

Having sent off my online application, I was told to complete some online tests. These were the standard easy SHL reasoning tests. After this, I was invited to book my first interview. During the interview, I felt very relaxed, the manager seemed very friendly and the culture in the workplace seems very good. Standard questions such as why BDO? Why Audit? And some competencies such as time in a team and a leader.