BDO USA

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BDO USA in October 2010.

Interview Details – Recruit on campus or through networking. Interview is 4 30 minute interviews, with partners and managers. They take you to dinner after. Very approachable.

Interview Question – Technical scenario   Answer Question

Assurance Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BDO USA in October 2013.

Interview Details – Like other big accounting firms recruiting process. I had one on-campus interview and one in-house interview.
The on-campus interview was more focus on my past internship experience and educational background. Question: What the difference between your first and second internship? What's the major difference you have found between your last internship and at school? How do you deal with am teammate who didn't perform his/her responsibility?
The in-house interview started with the brief background of the company's culture and value. The recruiter explained the agenda of the day. I was interviewed by two interviewers, one is a director and the other is a manager. The key of this interview is show them yourself and be conformable. The first interviewer was very aggressive of asking me lots of questions. The second interviewer was lay back and asked me to ask he question first.

Interview Question – How do you deal with am teammate who didn't perform his/her responsibility? If the particular team members didn't have the ability, what will do?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at BDO USA in October 2009.

Interview Details – I spoke with people from BDO at the University's career fair. I really enjoyed the people i met, they were really friendly and easy to talk to . They took us to dinner for a pre-night interview and was a fun experience. The interview was very laid back and personal. They just asked about my experience, why I chose BDO, why i chose accounting for my major, why i chose finance as a minor. Other small talk really. No situational questions in my first interview

Interview Questions

Assurance Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BDO USA in February 2008.

Interview Details – Initial interview was on my college campus with an hr recruiter. After passing that I came in house to the bdo office and had 4 interviews back to back. These interviews were with senior managers or partners at the firm. They asked all types of questions. One partner asked me to ask all the quesions ! Afterwards we were taken out to lunch by a few associates where they secretly evaluated us.

Interview Question – If an owner of a business decides to forgo his salary for the year what is the accounting entry to record this?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Assurance Associate Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BDO USA in October 2011.

Interview Details – I met with one manager for an on campus interview. The interview went really good. He only asked behavioral questions. He just wanted to hear why BDO would be a good fit for me and what I could bring to the team.
The 2nd round interview was at the firm location. Here I had 4, 30 minute, 1 on 1 interviews. 2 of the interviews they had asked technical questions. The other 2 were just more personal questions.
The technical questions were pretty simple, common sense. What type of account are risky, what JE would you do, etc.

Interview Questions

• If there was one owner of a manufacture company. What accounts are risky   Answer Question
  • What do you see on a BS and PL   Answer Question
  • Would you make a JE if the owner didn't pull out a salary, but did work?   Answer Question
  • Would you make a JE if the market value of the owners salary is 1 mill, but he received a 5 mill salary? Why or why not?   Answer Question

Assurance Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BDO USA in October 2009.

Interview Details – My first round of interview was on campus with a manager. Since it was one of my first on campus interviews, I was pretty nervous. But they had a greeter (senior/staff) that I could ask questions and prep a bit before the actual interview. During the actual interview, the manager asked me about specifics on my resume but we mainly focused on group projects and how I delt with conflicts. Mostly behavioral questions but I also got a SOX question. I had met the greeter and the interviewer before at company/club events earlier in the year. I thought that was helpful too since I could already connect with the person I was interviewing with.

Second round was at the office for three interviews - 2 partners and a manager. All one on one interviews. All behavioral questions too. They tried to cover different aspects for each interview - clients, growth, people. Mostly asked about specifics on resume as well.

They provided a response within a week.

Interview Question – What activities you have done that relates to or is similar to auditing?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at BDO USA

Worked for BDO USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BDO USA Assurance Associate interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by BDO USA employees and interview candidates.