BDO USA Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BDO USA (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

The on-campus interview was very laid back, and the interviewer asked general questions about my resume. The second round on-site interview had me interview with 3 people (1 manager and 2 partners) individually followed by lunch and a tour of the office.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BDO USA (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I sent my resume and cover letter in an email to the recruiter who then called me and talked to me for about 10 minutes, and said that they wanted to bring me in for an office interview. I interviewed with a partner first, then a senior director, and finally a manager. The next day after the interview, I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Not what I was expecting...It was very conversational. The partner told me he just wanted to make sure I would be a good person to work with. They hardly asked any technical questions at all, which I really liked. I just was myself and talked to them about BDO, accounting, and other random stuff.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BDO USA.

Interview

I interviewed in NYC. Went through rounds with 4-5 other MDs and Partners. Very weird group. One MD acted like he was interrogating me and kept repeating questions. No personality. Head of the group talked non-stop and bragged about his accomplishments. Then I had lunch with 2 other people who seemed to have social skills. The experience left me wondering what the identity of the group is.

Interview Questions

• Why would you leave your current job to join BDO? (Firm almost seemed insecure abut itself).   Answer Question

People did not seem to be in touch with market. Discussions were either very bland or listening to someone brag.

Consulting Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BDO USA.

Interview

Phone interview followed by face to face interview with a panel of 5 people - MD, Directors, Senior Manager and Manager. More of a fit interview than a technical or skills interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Tax Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at BDO USA.

Interview

Gave them my resume at campus career fair. Followed up and earned an on campus interview. Interviewed with 1 tax manager. Asked me a few basic questions, nothing caught me off guard. Talked about himself and the company most of the time, which was both informative and a little relieving. In fact, I thought I had a bad interview because I barely got to "sell myself" to him and the firm. But, a couple days later they made me a generous offer.

Negotiation

Did not bother even trying to negotiate, the offer was very generous.

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BDO USA.

Interview

Applied through college. The interviewer did not ask any technical questions. Mostly about you, why you want to join BDO, how do you see yourself in 5 years. Just be yourself and relax

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, behavioral questions. No hard questions.   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BDO USA.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Did my first interview on campus. Interviewer promptly started off by asking why BDO, why you, why audit. Then, it became a conversation more or less. Very laid back. Easy first interview. It took them about 2 weeks for me to find out I got the 2nd interview. 2nd Round got one on one interviews with National Partner, Audit Sr Manager, Audit Manager, and Audit Director all for about 30 minutes each. Then went to dinner with new hire associates and the Sr. Associate. Got one technical accounting question, which was fairly easy. Don't worry if you get the answer wrong, as long as you can think the process through and understand how to solve the case conceptually, you will be fine. Everything else was behavioral or conversational. The whole 2nd round took about 4 hours. I was with a group of 5 other candidates. Still waiting to see if I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose BDO? Why did you choose audit? What about BDO interested you? The audit director laid out a scenario and told me how I would record the transaction, reverse the transactions, and reconcile it.   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BDO USA.

Interview

I applied through a campus career office and got scheduled an interview. The night before the interview there was a dinner that BDO took all the scheduled interviewees to. The setting was relaxed and there was no push to really socialize, really just an event to make us relax and meet the 1 or 2 associates that are at your table. Standard campus interview of 30 min, the first question threw me off and got me nervous, effected the rest of my interview negatively. Its been over a week but no reply as to whats happening with my recruitment process.

Interview Questions

• started with "tell me more about yourself" then straight onto "how many pc's are there in the US"   Answer Question

BDO USA Response

Nov 11, 2014 – CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER

We would like to see you receive a more timely reaction to your interview and I have to agree the PC trivia question is a surprising one and not so helpful in determining the best candidates to join ... More

Tax Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BDO USA in November 2014.

Interview

Campus Hiring. First round is on-campus interview with a senior manager. No difficult questions. The interviewer was really want to get to know me. I got the 2nd round notice in the following week. In-house interview with a partner, a senior manager, an associate. Got the offer 1 week later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at BDO USA (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume through my university's job site, and then was contacted by BDO's HR. The HR girl called me and had a 30 minute phone interview. She said she would love for me to come in for an interview but I have to formally apply on BDO's website. A couple days later I formally applied through their website and on the same day I did the app the HR girl set up my interviews. I was scheduled two days later to meet with three people for interviews. It was the senior manager, the manager, and an associate. All three of them were nice and not that scary for a public accounting firm. I felt like I connected with all three of them and that they liked me. I was there for about 1.5 hours. The next day I received a job offer from the HR girl. It was a quicky and easy process!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating since they offered to pay me more than I expected.