BHP Billiton

72 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

Leadership Program Interview

Leadership Program

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BHP Billiton in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by two people - 1 from HR and one functional manager. The interview consisted of behavorial questions and some resume based questions. The interview was for 45 minutes. The behavorial questions consisted of tell me about a time situations.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you solved a difficult problem   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Guatemala City (Guatemala)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in November 2010.

Interview Details – It took about 8 weeks, had to take about 6 hours of tests, finally have to go through about 5 interviews.

Interview Question – Do you think your parents separations would affect your stability??? (WHAT?! they really asked this question in the last interview)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, they were open how much they wanted to pay, before the process started.

Reservoir Engineering Intern Interview

Reservoir Engineering Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview Details – Met them at Career Day at school. One day before interview they took all candidates for dinner to an steak house. The interview lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes. The main interviewer was sitting across from me asking me questions. The second interviewer was sitting next to me observing my body language.

Interview Question – What was the lowest point of your previous internship experience?
Why do you want to intern at BHP Billiton?
In general their interviewing style was friendly but very inquisitive. They questioned me on all my great previous academic and internship achievements that I answered them with original documents. Two weeks later the Vice President of Engineering called me offering me internship. I accepted their offer even though I had other multiple offers from great oil companies.
  Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in February 2011.

Interview Details – The process can be long or short, depending on whether they already like you on paper. If they do, they may move swiftly. Each commodity department has their own HR Business Partner and also the hiring manager is each different, so the number of rounds and the number of interviewers varies a lot. For one Marketing Manager job I had one round, while for another, I had five rounds. HR will ask the typical behavioral questions, while the hiring manager or his deputies will tend to ask more questions about experience, and from time to time through out a case (not like consulting, but more like a business situation). They ask a lot of questions around the value of the company, e.g. integrity, simplicity, etc., and will also test you with questions like "Assume you don't have the authority for large trades, but a trader calls you with an amazing deal that will make millions for the company, and your boss is traveling and unreachable. What do you do?".

Interview Question – If you were in the jungle, which animal would you be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. All contracts are standard.

Dry Bulk Marketer Interview

Dry Bulk Marketer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview Details – Standard Phone, 1:1, panel interview progression.

Firm but friendly interviewers, mix of cultural fit and technical questions

Interview Question – Would you rather fight a horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Pay

Graduate Metallurgist Interview

Graduate Metallurgist
Santiago (Chile)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in May 2009.

Interview Details – They went to my University to speak about BHP Billiton and their graduates program. They interview me right away, after that I went for a phone interview for a specific position in the company and a final interview in the main offices. All this process took 4 months at least

Interview Question – No difficult question when you know what you want in life and realize that is a win-win situation for you and the company to work together   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really, the salary and the benefits are pretty standard for new graduates

Supply Specialist Interview

Supply Specialist

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in July 2013.

Interview Details – It is a very lengthy process. I applied earlier in the year and got an interview call 4 months later. It then still took another 3 months to get the offer out. However, the salary and benefits are competitive.

Interview Question – There were a lot of questions of personal intergrity and work ethic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not need to negotiate as offer was well above expectation.

Engineering Vacation Student Interview

Engineering Vacation Student

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview Details – Successful online application, followed by SHL testing.

Was then interviewed over the phone, questions revolved around what I knew about BHP, why I wanted to work there etc.

Proceeded to a face-to-face interview with an engineer and HR rep. It had a large focus on behavioural questions which were designed to be challenging and probing.

Interview Question – Have you ever acted unethically, and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in March 2010.

Interview Details – Check on technical experience
Check on last drawn salary
Check on technical knowledge

Interview Question – Why do you want to join this company   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Graduate
Houston, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at BHP Billiton in February 2010.

Interview Details – went to dinner and had a case study that was not too gifficult but still nerve racking. All of the competition is right there along with you as well, making the situation uneasy.

Interview Question – the case study   View Answer

Worked for BHP Billiton? Contribute to the Community!