BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

2.9

Leadership Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BHP Billiton in January 2010.

Interview

I was interviewed by two people - 1 from HR and one functional manager. The interview consisted of behavorial questions and some resume based questions. The interview was for 45 minutes. The behavorial questions consisted of tell me about a time situations.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guatemala City (Guatemala)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Guatemala City (Guatemala)) in November 2010.

Interview

It took about 8 weeks, had to take about 6 hours of tests, finally have to go through about 5 interviews.

Interview Questions

• Do you think your parents separations would affect your stability??? (WHAT?! they really asked this question in the last interview)   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation, they were open how much they wanted to pay, before the process started.

Reservoir Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

Met them at Career Day at school. One day before interview they took all candidates for dinner to an steak house. The interview lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes. The main interviewer was sitting across from me asking me questions. The second interviewer was sitting next to me observing my body language.

Interview Questions

• What was the lowest point of your previous internship experience?
      Why do you want to intern at BHP Billiton?
      In general their interviewing style was friendly but very inquisitive. They questioned me on all my great previous academic and internship achievements that I answered them with original documents. Two weeks later the Vice President of Engineering called me offering me internship. I accepted their offer even though I had other multiple offers from great oil companies.

Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Singapore (Singapore)) in February 2011.

Interview

The process can be long or short, depending on whether they already like you on paper. If they do, they may move swiftly. Each commodity department has their own HR Business Partner and also the hiring manager is each different, so the number of rounds and the number of interviewers varies a lot. For one Marketing Manager job I had one round, while for another, I had five rounds. HR will ask the typical behavioral questions, while the hiring manager or his deputies will tend to ask more questions about experience, and from time to time through out a case (not like consulting, but more like a business situation). They ask a lot of questions around the value of the company, e.g. integrity, simplicity, etc., and will also test you with questions like "Assume you don't have the authority for large trades, but a trader calls you with an amazing deal that will make millions for the company, and your boss is traveling and unreachable. What do you do?".

Interview Questions

• If you were in the jungle, which animal would you be?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. All contracts are standard.

Dry Bulk Marketer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard Phone, 1:1, panel interview progression.

Firm but friendly interviewers, mix of cultural fit and technical questions

Interview Questions

• Would you rather fight a horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses?   1 Answer

Pay

Graduate Metallurgist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santiago (Chile)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Santiago (Chile)) in May 2009.

Interview

They went to my University to speak about BHP Billiton and their graduates program. They interview me right away, after that I went for a phone interview for a specific position in the company and a final interview in the main offices. All this process took 4 months at least

Interview Questions

• No difficult question when you know what you want in life and realize that is a win-win situation for you and the company to work together   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not really, the salary and the benefits are pretty standard for new graduates

Supply Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in July 2013.

Interview

It is a very lengthy process. I applied earlier in the year and got an interview call 4 months later. It then still took another 3 months to get the offer out. However, the salary and benefits are competitive.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions of personal intergrity and work ethic.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not need to negotiate as offer was well above expectation.

Engineering Vacation Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

Successful online application, followed by SHL testing.

Was then interviewed over the phone, questions revolved around what I knew about BHP, why I wanted to work there etc.

Proceeded to a face-to-face interview with an engineer and HR rep. It had a large focus on behavioural questions which were designed to be challenging and probing.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Project Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton in March 2010.

Interview

Check on technical experience
    Check on last drawn salary
    Check on technical knowledge

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in February 2010.

Interview

went to dinner and had a case study that was not too gifficult but still nerve racking. All of the competition is right there along with you as well, making the situation uneasy.