BHP Billiton

Getting the Interview

60 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

Leadership Program Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BHP Billiton in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by two people - 1 from HR and one functional manager. The interview consisted of behavorial questions and some resume based questions. The interview was for 45 minutes. The behavorial questions consisted of tell me about a time situations.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you solved a difficult problem   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Guatemala City (Guatemala)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in November 2010.

Interview Details – It took about 8 weeks, had to take about 6 hours of tests, finally have to go through about 5 interviews.

Interview Question – Do you think your parents separations would affect your stability??? (WHAT?! they really asked this question in the last interview)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, they were open how much they wanted to pay, before the process started.

Graduate Metallurgist Interview

Graduate Metallurgist
Santiago (Chile)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in May 2009.

Interview Details – They went to my University to speak about BHP Billiton and their graduates program. They interview me right away, after that I went for a phone interview for a specific position in the company and a final interview in the main offices. All this process took 4 months at least

Interview Question – No difficult question when you know what you want in life and realize that is a win-win situation for you and the company to work together   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really, the salary and the benefits are pretty standard for new graduates

Engineering Vacation Student Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview Details – Successful online application, followed by SHL testing.

Was then interviewed over the phone, questions revolved around what I knew about BHP, why I wanted to work there etc.

Proceeded to a face-to-face interview with an engineer and HR rep. It had a large focus on behavioural questions which were designed to be challenging and probing.

Interview Question – Have you ever acted unethically, and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in February 2011.

Interview Details – The process can be long or short, depending on whether they already like you on paper. If they do, they may move swiftly. Each commodity department has their own HR Business Partner and also the hiring manager is each different, so the number of rounds and the number of interviewers varies a lot. For one Marketing Manager job I had one round, while for another, I had five rounds. HR will ask the typical behavioral questions, while the hiring manager or his deputies will tend to ask more questions about experience, and from time to time through out a case (not like consulting, but more like a business situation). They ask a lot of questions around the value of the company, e.g. integrity, simplicity, etc., and will also test you with questions like "Assume you don't have the authority for large trades, but a trader calls you with an amazing deal that will make millions for the company, and your boss is traveling and unreachable. What do you do?".

Interview Question – If you were in the jungle, which animal would you be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. All contracts are standard.

Supply Specialist Interview

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in July 2013.

Interview Details – It is a very lengthy process. I applied earlier in the year and got an interview call 4 months later. It then still took another 3 months to get the offer out. However, the salary and benefits are competitive.

Interview Question – There were a lot of questions of personal intergrity and work ethic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not need to negotiate as offer was well above expectation.

Reliability Engineer Mechanical Interview

Reliability Engineer Mechanical
Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in March 2013.

Interview Details – After completing the online applications I received a phone call to organise a time between an HR officer and the person to whom the role is subordinate to.

An email was sent with confirmation details as well as an email with details for online psychometric testing.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you have demonstrated your personal commitment to safety...   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in March 2010.

Interview Details – Check on technical experience
Check on last drawn salary
Check on technical knowledge

Interview Question – Why do you want to join this company   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Houston, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at BHP Billiton in February 2010.

Interview Details – went to dinner and had a case study that was not too gifficult but still nerve racking. All of the competition is right there along with you as well, making the situation uneasy.

Interview Question – the case study   View Answer

Reliability Engineer Mechanical Interview

Reliability Engineer Mechanical
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in October 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was long and waiting. I applied in july and got a call in september 2012 for the first HR interview. I prepared for it so it went very succesfully. they then sent me couple of tests. Numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning which I also practiced quite a lot and actually scored very well as I asked the HR lady and she confirmed that I did very well. I got around 16/18 in the numerical and it was really very hard test. Then i got a call for the final interview the the hiring manager. I had a week and I studied very hard, got a week's time off actually and I explored BHP in all the ways I can. googled the company, read the charter and also prepared myself for all the questions. Then the big day came, it was a video conference room and I was very confident and I gave about 90% answers correct technical answers. I have given around 15 interviews in my life and this was the second best. I even ran through bhp 's charter, handbook, videos, production, projects..anything i can think of as I really wanted to get in the company..My interview was actually prolonged to an hour and 12-15 mins and I had a great feeling after the interview..Unfortunately they replied back to me that they will not be proceeding any further with the recruitment process.. I dont know why. Probably there may be ppl more knowledgeable then me I guess

Interview Question – what is OEE   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at BHP Billiton

Worked for BHP Billiton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BHP Billiton interview questions and advice. All 60 interview reviews posted anonymously by BHP Billiton employees and interview candidates.