BHP Billiton

Updated Jan 1, 2015

2.9

Economic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Applied online. Started with a phone interview with hiring manager then an in-person interview.

Interview was technical and they wanted to know what kind of economic evaluations I've done.

I was not selected for the role and I'm not sure why.

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at BHP Billiton in October 2014.

Responded to Online advert, then phone interview.
    Interview structure is based around core values. "One of our values is 'xyz', give an example of when you have demonstrated this behaviour." Went through all of the values then asked a technical question. "Lets say you saw your plant behaving like 'abc', what would you look at and how would you respond?"

Interview Questions
    • The questions about the values. Luckily I had prepared but it would be challenging if you hadn't   Answer Question

Term was too short.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santiago (Chile)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santiago (Chile)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in October 2014.

The process was very lengthy and difficult. It involved taking several online tests (math, english,personality, etc.) a phone interview, and finally an invitation to an assessment centre which consisted of a face-to-face interview and two group activities: one in english and one in the national language.
    The phone interview was very straightforward: What was my interest in the company, what were my work motivations, where did I see myself in three years, etc.
    The face-to-face interview was mostly behavioral questions: Tell me a situation in which you had to prioritize something important to you. Tell me about a situation you dealt with you felt was unsafe, etc.
    The group activities were very standard, we worked in groups of six. They gave us ten minutes to read a document then another 20 to find a suitable solution as a group, and give a presentation. The solution itself wasn't too important, they mostly cared about how we worked together.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all very standard. The behavioral questions caught me slightly off guard.   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in June 2014.

Very long process. Took over 5 months from time of application to interview. Recruitment was very slow, no urgency at all. Interview was structured, with very typical questions regarding experience and behavior. Did not receive update from recruiter. Will not answer calls or emails to provide updates. It has been an additional 2 months and have heard nothing, despite repeated attempts to contact. Not sure if position was eliminated due to falling oil, but please have the courtesy to inform the candidates who go through the entire interview process instead of dropping out completely. Very unprofessional.

Land Graduate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Initial career fair and met with a couple representatives from BHP land group then applied for an interview through my university's career office. The night before the interview they took all the interview candidates to a nice dinner. The first interview was 2:1 and maybe asked one behavioral question, but the rest was relaxed conversation about my previous experience, etc. Six days later I received an invitation to fly to Houston for second round interviews. The interview was 3:1 and was still relaxed, but this time I was asked more behavioral questions. This interview lasted about 45 minutes. A week later I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you overcame adversity.
      What is your biggest accomplishment?
      When achieving (your biggest accomplishment) what was the low point?
      Where do you see yourself in five years?

Answer Question
    Offer was very good so I did not negotiate

PC1 Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

I applied online and after a month they contacted me via email. After couple of weeks I got a call for a face to face interview. It was very informal. They asked normal behavior question and walk down in the plant.

only offer i got

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Phone screening, 2 to one with Senior manager and Vice President of department. Asked for background, experience, gave details of role, standard questions "give us an example of..." "Tell us a situation where". Asked about knowledge of the company.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you know the businesses in the company, as it is a huge company recommend doing research on all of the arms.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate and got what i wanted after standing my ground on Salary.

Petrophysicist Interview

interviewed at BHP Billiton in September 2014.

Got the interview call via on-campus recruitment. Their HR contacted me by mail and there was a pre-interview dinner. The first round was behavioural and mostly about my research experience

Interview Questions
    • If I asked your advisor, what would he/she say was your biggest strength and biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Vacation Student Iron Ore Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I applied online – interviewed at BHP Billiton in September 2012.

Online numerical, verbal reasoning and logic test. Followed by phone interview and face to face with hr recruiter. No technical questions all the usual behavioural kind, "tell me a time when you witnessed something unsafe, what did you do?"

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you had a problem at school or work, how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    Vacation program so no negotiation terms. Probably would be able to negotiate holidays

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BHP Billiton in June 2011.

BHP Billiton standardized on the TopGrading (http://topgrading.com) methodology for hiring. Basically, be prepared to answer variations of the same 5 questions about your last 4-5 jobs or companies you worked for.

1) What were you hired to do?
    2) What were your high points?
    3) What were your low points?
    4) What would your boss/peers say about your performance?
    5) Why did you leave?