BHP Billiton

Updated Nov 17, 2014

2.9

HSE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

First interview was a 3 person panel interview made up of immediate supervisor, team member, and outside team member. This was followed by a phone interview by a supervisor in a different division. Finally, a third in person interview with the main manager

Interview Questions
    • What do you think your coworkers at your current job think is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as the position offered what I was seeking.

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interviewed at job fair. Was emailed for a second interview and presentation on site. Was called about the position.

Human Resources Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Feedback was minimal initially after submitting my resume and experienced the same result after my first interview. Offer process was lengthy.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't a very in depth interview as questions were not focused or detailed.   Answer Question

Corporate Security/Investigations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

interviewed at BHP Billiton in August 2013.

Received a telephone call stating that they were with BHP Billiton in Houston Texas and that they didn't want to waste my time or theirs so she wanted to ask me a question. She asked my current salary. I gave her my current salary but made it clear that I would be willing to accept less if given the opportunity as my main interest was to work for a quality company like BHP. I later received an email stating that they decided not to consider me. No reason given although I was more than qualified for the position after working as a Special Agent/Federal Criminal Investigator for over15 years. I feel I was not considered due to my current salary and they ignored the offer to work for less.

Supply Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in July 2013.

It is a very lengthy process. I applied earlier in the year and got an interview call 4 months later. It then still took another 3 months to get the offer out. However, the salary and benefits are competitive.

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of questions of personal intergrity and work ethic.   Answer Question
    Did not need to negotiate as offer was well above expectation.

Trading/Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Applied online. About a week later, HR calls to set up an interview with the hiring manager. Before meeting face to face, I received an email to take an assessment. I suppose I "passed it" because my interview wasn't cancelled...LOL.

Hiring manager had a script but did not read from it. Nice question mix. The conversation flowed very smoothly. One of the best interviews I have had.

A few days later, I get a call from HR telling me that I will receive some emails that contained links for more assessments. I had to do personality test, verbal reasoning, and a somewhat challenging math test. I was certain I was toast after the math test (fractions were a loooong time ago)

More days pass, I get a call from HR asking my salary requirements. I gave them my range and their response was "cool". I knew then and there, BHP is where I wanted to be. The next day, I get an email from HR with background check and drug test consent forms. Filled out the paperwork. Took the drug test the next day.

Fast forward 5 days...offer letter emailed to me!! Can you say stoked?

Verdict: Awesome interview process. All contact is with HR after the interview. Their HR department is very competent and responds quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were working on a tight deadline and priorities changed.
      How do you deal with stress?
        Answer Question
    I decided not to negotiate because I was pleased with the salary and super pleased with the benefits.

Reservoir Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

I arrived in Houston for the interview. They gave me a tour of some updated floors as a sales pitch and then I met with a few experienced engineers. I was mostly asked questions about my past experience. I was told repeatedly they would find out if I didn't know my stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you still looking for a job considering your other offers?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

- Self starter
    - Good communications skills
    - Fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese, advanced French
    experienced team Manager

Contracts Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview was fine; very informal and conversation-based. The hiring process took a long time, which I now realize is the norm at BHP.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton in December 2012.

Pretty streamlined, interviewed with a panel of three, they asked pretty common interview question