BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

2.9

Human Resources Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Feedback was minimal initially after submitting my resume and experienced the same result after my first interview. Offer process was lengthy.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't a very in depth interview as questions were not focused or detailed.   Answer Question

Corporate Security/Investigations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

interviewed at BHP Billiton in August 2013.

Received a telephone call stating that they were with BHP Billiton in Houston Texas and that they didn't want to waste my time or theirs so she wanted to ask me a question. She asked my current salary. I gave her my current salary but made it clear that I would be willing to accept less if given the opportunity as my main interest was to work for a quality company like BHP. I later received an email stating that they decided not to consider me. No reason given although I was more than qualified for the position after working as a Special Agent/Federal Criminal Investigator for over15 years. I feel I was not considered due to my current salary and they ignored the offer to work for less.

Supply Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in July 2013.

It is a very lengthy process. I applied earlier in the year and got an interview call 4 months later. It then still took another 3 months to get the offer out. However, the salary and benefits are competitive.

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of questions of personal intergrity and work ethic.   Answer Question
    Did not need to negotiate as offer was well above expectation.

Trading/Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Applied online. About a week later, HR calls to set up an interview with the hiring manager. Before meeting face to face, I received an email to take an assessment. I suppose I "passed it" because my interview wasn't cancelled...LOL.

Hiring manager had a script but did not read from it. Nice question mix. The conversation flowed very smoothly. One of the best interviews I have had.

A few days later, I get a call from HR telling me that I will receive some emails that contained links for more assessments. I had to do personality test, verbal reasoning, and a somewhat challenging math test. I was certain I was toast after the math test (fractions were a loooong time ago)

More days pass, I get a call from HR asking my salary requirements. I gave them my range and their response was "cool". I knew then and there, BHP is where I wanted to be. The next day, I get an email from HR with background check and drug test consent forms. Filled out the paperwork. Took the drug test the next day.

Fast forward 5 days...offer letter emailed to me!! Can you say stoked?

Verdict: Awesome interview process. All contact is with HR after the interview. Their HR department is very competent and responds quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were working on a tight deadline and priorities changed.
      How do you deal with stress?
        Answer Question
    I decided not to negotiate because I was pleased with the salary and super pleased with the benefits.

Reservoir Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

I arrived in Houston for the interview. They gave me a tour of some updated floors as a sales pitch and then I met with a few experienced engineers. I was mostly asked questions about my past experience. I was told repeatedly they would find out if I didn't know my stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you still looking for a job considering your other offers?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

- Self starter
    - Good communications skills
    - Fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese, advanced French
    experienced team Manager

Contracts Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview was fine; very informal and conversation-based. The hiring process took a long time, which I now realize is the norm at BHP.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton in December 2012.

Pretty streamlined, interviewed with a panel of three, they asked pretty common interview question

Operations Engineer (Drilling) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at BHP Billiton in November 2012.

Talked to BHP billiton at the TAMU career fair. Invited to dinner the following week before interview. Interview the week after that on campus with 2 head drilling engineers. Invited to houston headquarters for fancy dinner on thursday night put us in a very nice hotel. In the morning had 2 interviews with panels of 2-3 engineers. Very relaxed environment. Explained benefits but did not give Salary or bonus numbers.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. Many behavioral questions: Tell a time when you and a teammate disagreed and how you comprimised... etc.   Answer Question

Geoscience Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton in September 2012.

Interviewed on campus, received phone call with offer a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: After our interview, I will speak to your advisor, what do you think he will tell me is your best quality? worst quality?   Answer Question