BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.9

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online, took over a month to receive a request for a phone interview, after that never heard back from them, kind of disrespectful, just have the courtesy of sending the automatic email saying no.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really hard, flowing conversation with hiring manager   Answer Question

Geoscience Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Submitted application and within a week or so I received an email requesting my availability for the following two weeks to schedule a 30 minute phone interview. The phone interview actually occurred 4 days later and went excellent. The hiring manager suggested that I be scheduled for a face to face, 2 separate panel interview which occurred two weeks later. First met with HR. No questions, just simply explained the benefits and answered any questions I had. Then met with the hiring manager, another manager and a team member. First half explained the way the Petroleum part of the company worked and how the position fits in to that piece. Then the barrage of questions start from mainly the two people that were not part of the initial phone interview. I felt like I was batting 1.000 and felt very confident in their perception of me and my thorough responses. Great experience. When it was done they advised me that the second panel interview was cancelled. The next day I was told that they wanted to make me an offer.

Interview Questions

• "You have listed quite a few BHP employees as references, what do you expect them to say about you.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Back and forth negotiating.

HSE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX).

Interview

First interview was a 3 person panel interview made up of immediate supervisor, team member, and outside team member. This was followed by a phone interview by a supervisor in a different division. Finally, a third in person interview with the main manager

Interview Questions

• What do you think your coworkers at your current job think is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate as the position offered what I was seeking.

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interviewed at job fair. Was emailed for a second interview and presentation on site. Was called about the position.

Human Resources Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

Feedback was minimal initially after submitting my resume and experienced the same result after my first interview. Offer process was lengthy.

Interview Questions

• It wasn't a very in depth interview as questions were not focused or detailed.   Answer Question

Corporate Security/Investigations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

Received a telephone call stating that they were with BHP Billiton in Houston Texas and that they didn't want to waste my time or theirs so she wanted to ask me a question. She asked my current salary. I gave her my current salary but made it clear that I would be willing to accept less if given the opportunity as my main interest was to work for a quality company like BHP. I later received an email stating that they decided not to consider me. No reason given although I was more than qualified for the position after working as a Special Agent/Federal Criminal Investigator for over15 years. I feel I was not considered due to my current salary and they ignored the offer to work for less.

Supply Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at BHP Billiton in July 2013.

Interview

It is a very lengthy process. I applied earlier in the year and got an interview call 4 months later. It then still took another 3 months to get the offer out. However, the salary and benefits are competitive.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions of personal intergrity and work ethic.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not need to negotiate as offer was well above expectation.

Trading/Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied online. About a week later, HR calls to set up an interview with the hiring manager. Before meeting face to face, I received an email to take an assessment. I suppose I "passed it" because my interview wasn't cancelled...LOL. Hiring manager had a script but did not read from it. Nice question mix. The conversation flowed very smoothly. One of the best interviews I have had. A few days later, I get a call from HR telling me that I will receive some emails that contained links for more assessments. I had to do personality test, verbal reasoning, and a somewhat challenging math test. I was certain I was toast after the math test (fractions were a loooong time ago) More days pass, I get a call from HR asking my salary requirements. I gave them my range and their response was "cool". I knew then and there, BHP is where I wanted to be. The next day, I get an email from HR with background check and drug test consent forms. Filled out the paperwork. Took the drug test the next day. Fast forward 5 days...offer letter emailed to me!! Can you say stoked? Verdict: Awesome interview process. All contact is with HR after the interview. Their HR department is very competent and responds quickly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were working on a tight deadline and priorities changed. How do you deal with stress?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I decided not to negotiate because I was pleased with the salary and super pleased with the benefits.

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

I arrived in Houston for the interview. They gave me a tour of some updated floors as a sales pitch and then I met with a few experienced engineers. I was mostly asked questions about my past experience. I was told repeatedly they would find out if I didn't know my stuff.

Interview Questions

• Why are you still looking for a job considering your other offers?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Interview

- Self starter - Good communications skills - Fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese, advanced French experienced team Manager