BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

2.9

Contracts Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interview was fine; very informal and conversation-based. The hiring process took a long time, which I now realize is the norm at BHP.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in December 2012.

Interview

Pretty streamlined, interviewed with a panel of three, they asked pretty common interview question

Operations Engineer (Drilling) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at BHP Billiton in November 2012.

Interview

Talked to BHP billiton at the TAMU career fair. Invited to dinner the following week before interview. Interview the week after that on campus with 2 head drilling engineers. Invited to houston headquarters for fancy dinner on thursday night put us in a very nice hotel. In the morning had 2 interviews with panels of 2-3 engineers. Very relaxed environment. Explained benefits but did not give Salary or bonus numbers.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. Many behavioral questions: Tell a time when you and a teammate disagreed and how you comprimised... etc.   Answer Question

Geoscience Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

Interviewed on campus, received phone call with offer a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected: After our interview, I will speak to your advisor, what do you think he will tell me is your best quality? worst quality?   Answer Question

Geoscience Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Norman, OK) in September 2012.

Interview

campus recruiting:

the night before campus interview: pre-select dinner

the day after that: campus interview: No behavior question for me. All are introduction of my research

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

Contract work through Aquent. Rescheduled interview twice. When I arrived; they were 10 minutes late in coming down to the lobby to meet with me me, then went downhill from there. Met with Facilities Manager, a Building Manager (seriously?) and a person who did actually work in graphics, but was more of a traffic/workflow title. All of them asked in monotone voices the most mundane, trite questions, and were hardly related to actual design or technical ability. All three people were... completely lifeless. Absolutely no emotion, personality, feedback - none whatsoever. It was alarming, to say the least. The building person got up and left in the middle of the interview. They gave me a proofreading text which was not difficult. I went upstairs to see where the other designers worked. Nice facilities, but again, lifeless figures walking about; none of them could really even crack a smile. All in all, a huge waste of my time. I took the interview seriously, and was kind, courteous and professional, and I never felt they took the interview seriously or respected the fact that was rescheduled two times and had traveled 45 min to meet with them. It was like they're trying to repel people from wanting to work there. No amount of money or other benefits could make me want to go back there.

Interview Questions

• Difficulty? Having to sit through their questions like, "if I called your previous co-workers, what would they say about you?" "What did you like best/least about such-n-such job?"
      No imagination, and talk about actual graphic design, technical skills, or how I work with colleagues/clients.

Answer Question

Senior Deployment Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

Technical interview for position.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

Met with hiring manager and others in a panel two others in a panel interview. Interview was fairly laid back with most of the questions sounding like they came from a prescribed set. People came across as intelligent and the work was high dollar value. Described benefits were fantastic. Work environment was somewhat lacking as everyone is in cubes (although this was not show during the interview). Interview was held in a large conference room. Met with HR prior to interview to discuss benefits.

Interview Questions

• Describe a team scenario in which you had to lead a group on a specific project. What made you/it successful? What were the challenges? What were the strategies that allowed you to succeed or caused failure. What did you learn from the experience?   Answer Question

Other opportunities.

Contracts Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in July 2012.

Interview

Represented by an outside recruiter, interview scheduled very efficiently and timely. It was a panel interview with hiring managers from different business units as there were several positions open. Allocated time seemed too short for panel interview and one interviewer did not show up. Of the kother two, one had to leave before interview was finished due to double booking.

Interview Questions

• Hard for interviewer to ask appropriate questions on behalf of several business units. This resulted in very general questions.   1 Answer

Senior Geophysicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in May 2012.

Interview

first called the supervisor, and then an interviewed was arranged. You have to give a talk to a team, In a few days, they will let you know the result. An offer letter was sent in about two weeks. This is for technology specialist I geophysicist. Since it is an interview, you need to know what the people are doing daily, not just in the meeting room, but what they are experiencing in real work, the presentation, the stress, the frustration, etc. You have evaluate both the good and bad.

Negotiation

you really need to know that the company has ridiculously amount of meeting and process you have to go to. Very slow computer network. Have to be able to bear the stress. Do not just look at the money!!!! Be Aware!