BJ's Restaurants

Updated Jan 12, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

I applied online – interviewed at BJ's Restaurants.

I applied online and they called me about a month later for an interview. I was hired on the spot after interviewing with two managers, one of which was the GM. The interviews were rather long and they asked a lot of questions. Most were general interview/restaurant questions so they could get to know you, but some were rather difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at BJs and why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • What's your favorite food from here and how would you describe it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself and your restaurant experience.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Food Server, Food Runner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daytona Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daytona Beach, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in January 2014.

Great experience,you think its going to be an organized business at first but its not.You can tell the managers are meglomaniacs and have sex with the employees. Its an OK in between jobs place to work,but dont plan on making a living and paying your rent on time if your a full time foodrunner/server.
    This appears to be a great place but is ran horribly and food runners who close take all the tips home and skim money.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing,as long as you have experience the hiring process is easy and they are so unfair that they are always hiring.   View Answer
    Min wage for food running shifts and $4.91 per hour plus tips for servers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in May 2014.

I applied online and actually called the restaurant to let them know I had applied and if I could speak to a manager. the manager talked to me over the phone and asked me to come in for a first interview. She was pretty down to earth. she asked me about my previous Job experience as a server, Why I wanted to work at BJ's and the standard BJ's trys to accomplish with all their restaurants. She said she was impressed and she past me along to the General Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you dealt with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Server/Takeout Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants.

3 interviews and all a complete waste of my time. First interview was more of a screening process and asked basic questions, "how do guests perceive you/ what do you think they think of you." 2nd interview was a slap in the face. Guy immediately told me that I don't have enough experience as a server and would I be interested in hostessing. Um no, I'm currently already a server so that is a ridiculous question. Asked me take out questions like which burger do you bring first, medium rare that's been in window for 6 mins or medium well that's been in window for 10 mins. (Answer is the first one). Questioned my references and then called them right in front of me and only because I got a good referral did he offer me a 3rd interview. 3rd interview was a joke as well, Didn't ask me anything about my qualifications and only about my availability. Told me he didn't know what the shifts were like for takeout and didn't know if my school sched would work and he'd have to call me back. 2 hrs later I got an email saying I didn't get the job. Felt like they weren't organized nor did they communicate with one another. I should've been told in my first interview I wasn't being considered for server and I wouldn't have wasted my time with the 2nd or 3rd.

Interview Questions
    • What is the internal temperature of a rare burger and a medium rare burger. That's not my job to know, it's the kitchens. It's a servers job to make sure the rare burger goes to the guest who ordered the rare burger etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in March 2014.

I was part of a mass hiring recently for a new location opening up. I applied on Friday the 21st of March, got called within the next two days to swing by on Monday behind the new location in the hiring trailer. I saw about 10 other people while I was there, within a half hour I had been interviewed and he gave me the option to hang out while he called my references or head out and he'd give me a call later. I chose to stay and wait; and within 15 minutes he had called my references. As soon as he cleared my references he passed me onto another manager who was filling out people's information in the computer (mass hiring so they had an "assembly line" set up).

Because the restaurant wasn't yet finished constructing I did have to wait until April 3rd to do orientation and the subsequent training took place between the 7th and the 19th but it was a BRAND NEW restaurant.

Interview Questions
    It's a tip paying job so no negotiation. However they were very flexible with my hours.

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in July 2014.

3 interviews. Normally you interview with the GM last but when i showed up after being scheduled an interview he was the only manager there ..,,after interviewing with him i interviewed with 2 other managers. Questions were standard. Tell me about yourself and why i want to work at BJs... Communication was bad after my last interview but eventually got told i got the job and went to orientation

Just look sharp, smile a lot and be cool/relaxed

No neg

Dishwasher/Food Prep Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants.

I applied online and the next morning received a phone call to come in for an interview. Was interviewed for the first time, then I was asked to wait until I could talk to the GM (the same day- 20 min. later) and was offered a job afterwards on the spot. If you are what they are looking for and you have experience, you should have no problem getting hired.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you more qualified for this position than others?   Answer Question

Line Cook Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BJ's Restaurants in September 2011.

Need to apply online at first, the first interview is directly with the general manager , one more interview my happen with the kitchen manager , final interview with the assistance of general manager (paper process)

Interview Questions
    My schedule and my initially pay

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in March 2011.

First did a group interview and then was called back for a 1:1 interview.

Assistant General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in October 2010.

First was phone interview, which led to an on-line skills test. Next came an in-person interview with Regional Manager and a follow shift in the the restaurant. It was between myself and another person, and the other person was given the position.

Interview Questions
    • Upset customer situation-how would you deal with the customer.   View Answer