BJ's Restaurants

Updated Nov 4, 2014
Updated Nov 4, 2014

2.1

Bartender Interview

It was a series of several online profiles and questionnaires that asked you everything from personal information to character and problem solving abilities. Overall, the first half of the online portion of the interview is what you would generally expect; however, the second portion seemed very unusual, especially for the job. It was a timed multiple choice test that required everything from math skills to higher level thinking.

Interview Questions
    • There was a strange multiple question timed test that required you to solve either brain teasers or math problems   Answer Question

Busser Interview

I applied online. Be sure to completely fill out the twelve pages of questions which have nothing to do with cleaning food off of tables. This is one of the stricter restaurants for which I have worked. Also they are so profit driven that internal advancement is not a priority.

No negotiation.

Server Interview

Applied online, was called within the week to go in for an interview ASAP, interviewed the next day and got the job. Started training the next day and was on the floor within a week.

Service Assistant Interview

Three interviews, basic questions. Asked about past work experience. Asked about weaknesses and strengths. Took about two weeks to hire. Pay was nonnegotiable. I had to go in in-person for them to even look at my resume. If you look sharp you will mostly likely get the job.

No negotiation

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denton, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denton, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in August 2014.

The environment for this interview was very nice, it was just the person I was being interviewed by. Yes, it was my first interview, but i was't even given a chance. He acted like I was wasting his time and didn't really have any kind of interest in interviewing me, or anyone else for that matter. I was interviewed by one of the chefs, I'm assuming because of his chef jacket, which was a little odd to me. None-the-less, within 5 minutes he pretty much told they weren't going to hire me.

Delivery/Takeout Interview

The interview and hiring process was fairly quick. This particular location holds open interviews every Monday and Tuesday from 2 to 4pm. I went in on Monday and had an interview, we set one up for Tuesday, and my last one was with the GM on a Thursday. He offered me the position on the spot. The following day, which was a Friday, I had orientation.

Interview Questions
    Since I have no experience in the food service industry, plus making tips, there was no negotiations.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McAllen, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McAllen, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in September 2014.

Had two interviews with 2 of the 4 managers there, Joe White, and the GM Mark Reis.
    Overall each interview took about 15 minutes and they were basic questions about my experience and my experiences there. Joe was extremely professional, where to Mark was a bit more laid back and worried about little things like appearance, but all in all it was a swift and easy procedure.

Interview Questions
    Mafter a day or two of my application being submitted I was offered a job as a server. After the interviews they told me my first day, and that was all.

Prep Cook Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in August 2014.

My interview was more basic because I had three friends who worked there that recommended me to the gm. I got called a week after I did the application and was hired on the spot. The questions were basically What was I interested in doing, what kind of prep experience do I have? Why am I leaving my current job? What about the company appeals to me.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses? Always a hard question.   View Answer

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in June 2014.

They asked me about my other jobs & why do I want to quit them. Then asked about my work ethic basically pretty easy process I was offered the job then 10 minutes after leavening they didn't want to hire me cuz I leave a McDonalds bag in their parking lot...

Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in June 2014.

Was a surprisingly quick interview process. After submitting an application online, I asked to speak with the manager in the store, he was willing to interview me right then and there. He asked me to come back the next day for a second interview and after that one they offered me the job. Very relaxed interviews overall. They seemed to just want to get a general sense of my personality, work ethic, leadership ability, and interest in BJ's specifically. Come prepared with some basic information about BJ's culture and values. They seemed to like that I knew BJ's goal as a restaurant and was able to communicate that.

Interview Questions
    • Questions ranged anywhere from "Why apply for BJ's over other restaurants?" to "If you were going to the movies with your friends and you really wanted to see a particular movie, how likely is it you would all end up seeing that movie?" Be ready to talk about BJ's and talk about how your personality plays out in life.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.